Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wuga98

Spray Painting The Cabinet Door

anyone has done this, the kitchen cabinet doors?. I was told this is very ex, if you use laminates, you can see the "dark" line at the joint but if you spray paint this, it will not be the case.

Any information to share here will be great.

:dunno:

Edited by wuga98

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I think if you spray paint it, you better make sure that the wood cabnet is sanded down properly that the paint will be even and less of an eyesore. Wood cabinet if not fabricated and sanded down properly, there will be bound to have splinters at a point or so which means the edges will be sharp I imagine. Some more, during washing of kitchen floor & even the dishes, there might be water splashing on the cabinets. Do take note that water can cause wood to rot faster so check with the contractor or ID to see if your wood cabinets are well protected with the paint.

Other than that I also not sure if it would be good to have it spray paint or not since I never see such case in sg except overseas countries have for themes like countryside, loft and sea I believe.

anyone has done this, the kitchen cabinet doors?. I was told this is very ex, if you use laminates, you can see the "dark" line at the joint but if you spray paint this, it will not be the case.

Edited by BunBun

go buy ST, especially saturdays - always got one or two contractors who change/revarnish cabinet doors.

Thanks for your insight to the spray painting. I have no idea on all these cabinet stuff but my contractor sort of stump me with a quote that if i want a better gloss finished "like the angmo", add $40k :jawdrop: and it can be done. I assume this is not just the kitchen but the rest of the wardrobe in the house as well.

I actually read about 16 pages of what i could find on this topic and it seems this is not a "new" but had been discussed multiple times and here are my list of are the possible solutions: :deal:

1. ABS trim

2. Postforming

3. Solid core

"Tak" i gather is a popular laminate that most if not all the forumer uses. When i surfed their website, they do have products catered to this issue and i suspect a lot have been done since 2005 (earliest post i could find) to reduce or eliminate this limitation.

As the kitchen is still being conceptualize, we still have some time to sort this out with the contractor. :sport-smiley-003:

I think if you spray paint it, you better make sure that the wood cabnet is sanded down properly that the paint will be even and less of an eyesore. Wood cabinet if not fabricated and sanded down properly, there will be bound to have splinters at a point or so which means the edges will be sharp I imagine. Some more, during washing of kitchen floor & even the dishes, there might be water splashing on the cabinets. Do take note that water can cause wood to rot faster so check with the contractor or ID to see if your wood cabinets are well protected with the paint.

Other than that I also not sure if it would be good to have it spray paint or not since I never see such case in sg except overseas countries have for themes like countryside, loft and sea I believe.

my kitchen is not done yet, so nothing to repair or repaint. :notti:

go buy ST, especially saturdays - always got one or two contractors who change/revarnish cabinet doors.

I think the main reason for high cost of spray paint is that

1) More workmanship/effort to spraypaint (need more skilled workers, thus less margin)

2) Fabrication of the cabinet frames & doors must be more "careful" cos the spray paint is prone to mistakes than pasting 1 big piece of laminate over. Need to use better wood and sand them to smoother surface?

3) More effort to "protect" the wood while transporting from factory to customer home.

4) Overpriced to deter people from doing spraypaint. (personally feel so :P)

However, I think that spraypaint is definately a nicer finish than using laminates if you can find a resonable quote!

I love like those country-style whitish paint/staining over solid wood kitchen cabinet types. Sigh...

just found another way is to use acrylic doors. :notti:

I think the main reason for high cost of spray paint is that

1) More workmanship/effort to spraypaint (need more skilled workers, thus less margin)

2) Fabrication of the cabinet frames & doors must be more "careful" cos the spray paint is prone to mistakes than pasting 1 big piece of laminate over. Need to use better wood and sand them to smoother surface?

3) More effort to "protect" the wood while transporting from factory to customer home.

4) Overpriced to deter people from doing spraypaint. (personally feel so :P)

However, I think that spraypaint is definately a nicer finish than using laminates if you can find a resonable quote!

I love like those country-style whitish paint/staining over solid wood kitchen cabinet types. Sigh...

hi there, u found any solution?? im thinking to spray or paint darker colours to all my doors as they are in light brown in colour., possible?

Not advisable to spray paint for cabinet doors as they are often use and tends to be scratch easily. Spray painted finish with scratches are an awful sight. Laminates would be a more wise choice as they are cheaper and durable. the 0.8mm laminate joint lines can be touched up using paint mixed to blend in with the laminate color or if you got the budget, go for solid core laminate where the sides are of the same color as the laminate itself.

Using paint to cover the black line is it easy & can paint ourself?

It depends on the color of the laminate you use because you might need to specially mix a color that is not that far off from the laminate color in order to obtain the effect. Paste masking tapes onto the laminate such that the paint will only be covered on the joint lines and not creating a mess after work is done. It can be DIY-ed easily but just might be a bit tedious depending on the number of joint lines you are touching up.