Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mwerkz

10mm Or 12mm Tempered Glass Panel

i m hacking one whole piece of wall for my bedroom, have asked my ID to do 12mm thick wall full height for de entrance, with a 12mm thick frosted door nxt to it.

somehow my ID give me some advise n ask me take 10mm instead, saying 12mm is too heavy, easier to spoil. dun really understand what he's saying. isit better to go for 10mm or 12mm?

any advise? currently asking my ID to explain y go for 10mm via email so i can ask for more advise. but in de mean time, pls advise :(

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

i asked for 15mm, but the said the norm is to use 10mm instead, and 15mm will costs more, so ihe advise me not to spend unnecessarily. so i opted for the norm lor

10mm is norm for shower screens, which is normally not very tall.

But for full height door, like those commonly found in shopping centres.. 12mm is used.

The issue now is that there is a full height wall right next to the door, which I suspect is easily 2.4m or taller. 10mm will be too thin.. when press abit.. will wobble.

12mm is a lot heavier than 10mm, and the hinges, mounting brackets all need to follow shopping centre kind, not those shower screen kind.

Will cost a lot more.. but if owner willing to pay.. then contractor shd not take issue mah.

10mm is norm for shower screens, which is normally not very tall.

But for full height door, like those commonly found in shopping centres.. 12mm is used.

The issue now is that there is a full height wall right next to the door, which I suspect is easily 2.4m or taller. 10mm will be too thin.. when press abit.. will wobble.

12mm is a lot heavier than 10mm, and the hinges, mounting brackets all need to follow shopping centre kind, not those shower screen kind.

Will cost a lot more.. but if owner willing to pay.. then contractor shd not take issue mah.

sian. any idea how much more we need to pay? cos according to him is alot. maybe i need to see his comments again -_-"

sori.. no idea on costings.. but to me.. if that is a requirement.. is only logical to compare across contractor.. rather than conpare incremental costs. using 10mm for anything above 2.1m is scary.

sori.. no idea on costings.. but to me.. if that is a requirement.. is only logical to compare across contractor.. rather than conpare incremental costs. using 10mm for anything above 2.1m is scary.

i oso dunno leh. but my tat panel will be divided into 2 piece, side by side. but let's say someone use a glass 2.5m in width, 1m in height. will tat be safer than installing a 2.5m in height, 1m in width panel?

definitely 1m height is much safer than 2.5m in height. I am assuming that it's a frameless design like a shopfront, where the glass door will abutt a frameless glass wall.

definitely 1m height is much safer than 2.5m in height. I am assuming that it's a frameless design like a shopfront, where the glass door will abutt a frameless glass wall.

erms. even if same size glass, placing it vertically or horizontally affects it stability? :bangwall:

My ID actually gave me a 12mm glass panel for my glass wall and all the glass doors in the house. The price is actually higher than a 10mm glass panel. But as my ID had experience of 10mm glass panel shattering before and advice me to get the 12mm which is found in shopping centres and public places. Accodring to her, 12mm is much stronger.

My ID actually gave me a 12mm glass panel for my glass wall and all the glass doors in the house. The price is actually higher than a 10mm glass panel. But as my ID had experience of 10mm glass panel shattering before and advice me to get the 12mm which is found in shopping centres and public places. Accodring to her, 12mm is much stronger.

ya. initially wanted 12mm. but he was telling me 12mm n 10mm uses different kinda support. so will be alot more ex -_-

i m hacking one whole piece of wall for my bedroom, have asked my ID to do 12mm thick wall full height for de entrance, with a 12mm thick frosted door nxt to it.

somehow my ID give me some advise n ask me take 10mm instead, saying 12mm is too heavy, easier to spoil. dun really understand what he's saying. isit better to go for 10mm or 12mm?

any advise? currently asking my ID to explain y go for 10mm via email so i can ask for more advise. but in de mean time, pls advise :(

It depends on the size of your door too. Generally, the thicker the better but the cons is it will be heavier thus ur floor spring specs will change too. If the floor spring he has cannot support the weight of the door, it will spoil it i guess thats what it means. It might be also the problem of the contractor already made the 10mm U-channel space on the ground already and not wanting to redo it again. Listen to his reason and advise 1st and then decide if it is viable.

It depends on the size of your door too. Generally, the thicker the better but the cons is it will be heavier thus ur floor spring specs will change too. If the floor spring he has cannot support the weight of the door, it will spoil it i guess thats what it means. It might be also the problem of the contractor already made the 10mm U-channel space on the ground already and not wanting to redo it again. Listen to his reason and advise 1st and then decide if it is viable.

hehe. nothing have been done yet. still waitin for my 2nd appt to go ahead with de reno. ya. he told me if i get the 12mm glass panel n door, de floor spring used will be diff n thus will cost abt 300 more juz for the floor spring alone, without considering the 12mm glass needed.

so his advise is tat 10mm is good enugh to save cost, n he showed me that his house is oso using the 10mm one. so i've decided to heed his advise n save some money

hehe. nothing have been done yet. still waitin for my 2nd appt to go ahead with de reno. ya. he told me if i get the 12mm glass panel n door, de floor spring used will be diff n thus will cost abt 300 more juz for the floor spring alone, without considering the 12mm glass needed.

so his advise is tat 10mm is good enugh to save cost, n he showed me that his house is oso using the 10mm one. so i've decided to heed his advise n save some money

er.... sorry to say but i think ur ID is like all the way out to chop u on the floor spring thing. 300 more on the floor spring itself ?? Gold plated ? I think he quoted you that price to discourage you to do 12mm. If you go on 10mm, make sure nobody tries to lean on the glass or have any kids at home after installing. Definately will break easily if the panel and door height is more than 1.5meters. Tempered glass makes the glass hard and thus brittle, so if you lean on the glass and it bends just a tiny little bit it will shatter into pieces and soon enough you will spend another lump sum on the ID again. Best is, do laminated glass for all reasons. haha but it definately cost more. So becareful on what you choose for. =)

i just did a full ht study rm using only glass.. due to no stock for 10mm thick (tinted glass), i top up just another $200++ to 12mm tinted glass.. it is really alot more solid than e 10mm as it does not even wobble/shake like e 10mm tempered glass i had for my kitchen sliding door.

E hindsight of it is that e sliding door is REALLY HEAVY!!

However w e sturdiness, i would go for 12mm anytime..

2cents worth

Pardon me if i'm wrong....

12mm more sturdy than 10mm. YES.

12mm is stronger than 10mm. Pressure, YES. Impact, NO. (Any glass weakess point are the corners, give a knock, it'll break into pieces regardless of the thickness)

Anyway, whenever you have any tempered glass install at home, you can't know for sure they'll last. Cos they might have knock onto a sharp object before that will weaken them but can't be seen by naked eyes. One more impact on the spot will cause it to shattered.

So if you're looking for tall glass, go for 12mm for it's sturdy not the strength (if for vertical application).

:)