Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pinkpetter

Cheapest Way To Do Flooring?

Hi hi I'm a newbie here... need some advice wor.

As you can see I'm not doing very much so the budget is very low about $10k only.

But cos the current flooring is very bad, a whole area is cracked though they used some cement thing to level it. I think must be they used cheap tiles so crack easily.

So we have to change tiles for the whole living and bedroom areas. But what is the cheapest and best way to do it?

Hacking and tiling again? overlay?

We tot of using homogenous tiles... any comments on that? What is a good size? Thanks ah

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Someone said the bigger the piece of tile, the more expensive it is to lay. So, expect higher cost for bigger tiles.

Actually, you can also consider just hack the old tiles away & do cement screeding floor. Or maybe cheaper brands of laminated flooring.

overlay = cheapest but got risks.

get a contractor to quote you both overlay and hack+tile

risks? like? the old ones below create problems ah? I also worry about that...

homo tiles standard is 600x600mm, there are others newer, more expensive like 800x800, 300x600, heard even 900x900 is out.

Wah so many different kind liao ah. i did think of the regular ones. wun go for the expensive big ones. any other alternative besides homo tiles? I tot homo tiles are best in the long run...

Someone said the bigger the piece of tile, the more expensive it is to lay. So, expect higher cost for bigger tiles.

Actually, you can also consider just hack the old tiles away & do cement screeding floor. Or maybe cheaper brands of laminated flooring.

mmm ya my friend also say big tiles very ex. a lot of cutting to do so labour cost also go up. Parents think cement screeding a bit too raw. heh they traditional. I tot of having the laminate also but scared cos living area a lot of people walk past will scratch and tear easily. *hate all these considerations*

risks? like? the old ones below create problems ah? I also worry about that...

tiles POPs up, cracked.....

if you plan to stay very long - 10 yrs or more in your new house.

Best is to HACK and tile.

Dont save on flooring - others like cabinets/furnitures can save.

Hi hi I'm a newbie here... need some advice wor.

As you can see I'm not doing very much so the budget is very low about $10k only.

But cos the current flooring is very bad, a whole area is cracked though they used some cement thing to level it. I think must be they used cheap tiles so crack easily.

So we have to change tiles for the whole living and bedroom areas. But what is the cheapest and best way to do it?

Hacking and tiling again? overlay?

We tot of using homogenous tiles... any comments on that? What is a good size? Thanks ah

If the flooring has cracked and some old tiles have pooped out here and there, then it is not adviseable to overlay.

For a successful overlay you need a soild and even plane surface of the old tiled flooring to do so.

Hacking will be the best option and you can use laminate instead of tiles to save some cost here.

Your "a lot of people" is like 50, 100 people walk past? If these people are wearing shoes with sands/dirt underneath, than even homo tiles will have scratches in the long run. At first I thought laminated flooring is like parquet flooring, will scratch & tear easily. But after a while, I find it to be quite scratch-resistant. My bedrooms are using laminated flooring. I didn't touch my 35-yr-old living room flooring (terrazzo) except a polish work.

tiles POPs up, cracked.....

if you plan to stay very long - 10 yrs or more in your new house.

Best is to HACK and tile.

Dont save on flooring - others like cabinets/furnitures can save.

HACK AH!.... got it. Mace your ID is Ho Bee right?

If the flooring has cracked and some old tiles have pooped out here and there, then it is not adviseable to overlay.

For a successful overlay you need a soild and even plane surface of the old tiled flooring to do so.

Hacking will be the best option and you can use laminate instead of tiles to save some cost here.

Hmm seem like that is the best answer to my problems liao.

Your "a lot of people" is like 50, 100 people walk past? If these people are wearing shoes with sands/dirt underneath, than even homo tiles will have scratches in the long run. At first I thought laminated flooring is like parquet flooring, will scratch & tear easily. But after a while, I find it to be quite scratch-resistant. My bedrooms are using laminated flooring. I didn't touch my 35-yr-old living room flooring (terrazzo) except a polish work.

terrazzo? what is that? good laminated flooring? expensive?

Yes, MaCe's ID is Ho Bee :D

Terrazzo is a cheaper option compare to marble. It is another type of stone. In the old days, granite was not common & marble was very expensive. Only rich people can afford marble.

due to yr tight budget, u can either:

do homo tiles-600 x 600 size.

do laminated flooring - cheaper option to homo flooring

dun worry abt scratches on laminated flooring. it wont happen.

But if u want fuss free flooring, go for homo tiles. Water is very bad on laminated flooring. you must be extra more careful on laminated flooring.

homo tiles are almost maintenace free.

$10k budget is possible, provided you are not a fussy owner and you are willing to go for cheaper reno.

Bear in mind that contractors earn the most in carpentary work.

So if you DO NOT want customised furniture or carpentary work such as customised dining table, study table, wall features, bedroom features, wardrobes, then 10k is enough for reno.

basically you will only do flooring, toilets and kitchen and some re-wirings. That's it, your 10k budget is spent already.

kitchen cabinet will already cost you $2.5k-$3k (cheap cheap standard materials).

all your furnitures and wardrobes, you will have to buy direct from shops.

Yes, MaCe's ID is Ho Bee :D

Terrazzo is a cheaper option compare to marble. It is another type of stone. In the old days, granite was not common & marble was very expensive. Only rich people can afford marble.

Oh so terrazzo is not a laminate? mm *confused* Must really go and look up such stuff. I will ask the people to quote me if I do homo tiles and laminate ... see how. BUt cos I have a rabbit. and she gets to run about twice a day... so I'm afraid she'll try to tear the laminate apart.. you know la... hide in some corner and chew chew chew.. until one day... :jawdrop: then too late liao

due to yr tight budget, u can either:

do homo tiles-600 x 600 size.

do laminated flooring - cheaper option to homo flooring

dun worry abt scratches on laminated flooring. it wont happen.

But if u want fuss free flooring, go for homo tiles. Water is very bad on laminated flooring. you must be extra more careful on laminated flooring.

homo tiles are almost maintenace free.

$10k budget is possible, provided you are not a fussy owner and you are willing to go for cheaper reno.

Bear in mind that contractors earn the most in carpentary work.

So if you DO NOT want customised furniture or carpentary work such as customised dining table, study table, wall features, bedroom features, wardrobes, then 10k is enough for reno.

basically you will only do flooring, toilets and kitchen and some re-wirings. That's it, your 10k budget is spent already.

kitchen cabinet will already cost you $2.5k-$3k (cheap cheap standard materials).

all your furnitures and wardrobes, you will have to buy direct from shops.

Yup that's what we have in mind wor. Furniture we have most. and everyone's bedroom is their own business, they will furnish their room as they like and we'll do bit by bit once we've done the basic reno and moved in.

Thanks man. Yours is the only affirmation I've got... :) So happy.

Some info on terazzo if ur interested...

like colour concrete man.

http://www.wausautile.com/index.cfm/choice...page/intro/id/5

http://www.terrazzo.com/

donut i going for homo 600x600 tiles

hehe

MmMm I see. Will explore more. but it looks a bit expensive..

Cheapest is to do laminate flooring la, no need to hack just lay over current floor... only a fraction of doing homo tiles.

Thanks Cookie. Will consider that option. but like Mace said... scared the old tiles will pop. haiz. I hate problematic flooring