Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adrian_john

Our 2nd Home In Bishan

Alternative Kitchen Layout option added in post #86.

Still debating and trying to figure out which would be best. Any advice, feedback is much welcomed! :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I also prefer the one w/o island.

Island layout more suitable for bigger kitchens.

Since you have two young boys at home, you probably have to consider traffic flow and how much u want to hinder them in the kitchen/laundry area.

PS: Its really cool to look at sth else while washing!

adrian_john...got to tell you this i really enjoyed all your drawings very detailed and professional....

back to kitchen...an island is lovely but it really depends on space don't want the whole area to look cramp instead...saw another forummer blog...the island is great given the space they have to play around....

Hi Adrian_john

really like ur drawings. so pro.

me like the 1st kitchen drawing w/o the island

but having the wash basin as in 2nd pic and open concept. ie no wall/glass door separating the service balcony & kitchen.

(as in pic 2)

It should make the kitchen very spacious & less dark. IMHO only :)

having a service balcony is my dream. think i could only get it in my 3rd home :fingerscrossed:

Thanks Pet,

Yup. Got his number from her and got him.

He's really ultra busy. He said he'll return call but forgot, so I called him again.

He was mentioning that he didn't really have time to do up my quote yet because of all the jobs he's got now, plus he's got 5 jobs starting this week, but he will meet me next week. Somehow I think he won't be able too but I told him, just let me know lah and if need be, I'll go to him.

But good thing is at least he now remembers who I am - 'The house with the little dog'. Ahahahaha!

haha good that he remembers you in a more special way! I hope he will personally handle yours. :)

Yes I think we have to get him a PDA of sorts mm

Thanks all for your votes and feedback.

Looks like the layout without the island is the popular choice; and its good to get feedback from the ladies cos' you all are the Queens of the Kitchen. :)

All the points you raised are very helpful, especially so since for me, I guess I'm so caught up with the aesthetics that I forget the reality of function, as my wife always says. :P Will crack my head to see if I can come up with other layout options.

Meantime, also exploring options for the shoe cabinet and Foyer area.

tell u the truth, think I'm benefiting more than u

It is so much fun doing paper-reno.

plan here & there... i must b addicted oredi :P

oo ooo I forgot to vote.. I like the w/o island format too. This is from a clumsy lady who cannot cook. I think it's impt to have ample moving space, esp in a place like the kitchen. ;)

rdnest... join the club of reno-addicts. :P

i voting the one without island too.

I need ideas on design of shoe cabinets and TV console as well... still don't hv concrete ideas :( I prefer simple lines... anyone got good idea to share share??

For practicality, the one w/o island wins... It's nice to have a island if you have sufficient space to move around.. I'm trying to draw out my reno concepts now.. But none of them can be as nice as 10% of yours..

Thanks Pet, Ivy and Booy for the votes.

Looks like its an unanimous vote for a compact and separated layout without the island.

I was looking through both again, and I had some more thoughts on playing around with the position of the cooking hobs, hood and sink. Will try to sketch it out early next week and post it up. :)

Meantime, here's a sketch for an initial thought for the shoe cabinet. I have in my head a few other ideas to work it out, will also sketch and post it up once ready.

Ivy, the shoe cabinet is a piece of carpentry which can be exciting cos' it can be done in many ways - Full height all the way, a smaller suspended one, or have a space for a settee to wear shoes, remove the overhead cupboard above settee for a nicer flush and put a mirror, or even velvet backing, choosing between glass/mirror/laminate for cabinet doors.... so many options and possibilities! I'm still working on some other options an will try to get it down in ink and see how it turns out.. meantime, as usual, any feedback is most welcome...

draftsketchshoecabinetv.jpg

Update (18 May)

- Another alternative proposal for the shoe cabinet. This one keeps the shoe racks closer to the door, while the other portion gives a suspended drawer and a slot below for a moveable ottoman to sit down and wear shoes. The suspended drawers can be integrated or be separate from the shoe cabinet itself for a clean look. If integrated, the inside can be livened up with nice wall paper/laminate. I'm quote eager to have those glass-finish doors for the cabinet doors but have to see how budget goes. :)

draftsketchshoecabinetp.jpg

Edited by adrian_john

your designs are really fantastic. Maybe I missed out your post but can ask how u do up your designs? Using what softwares?

@hello88

Thanks for the compliments. For my drawings, I roughly sketch them out in pencil, then refine it using a fine-tip drawing pen. After which, it's scanned into 300dpi resolution PDF, converted to a JPEG image file. From the image file, I use Photoshop to place in layers of images (e.g. superimposed pictures), shading (for a more 3D look) and text.

Thanks to this reno process, I've actually kinda revived my rusty old school mode of sketching. I'm trying to improve by learning to go full digital (eg. 3D). Am gonna purchase a drawing tablet next week and see if that can help improve my traditional to digital transition. :)

@Ivy

There's a bit of space at the Main Entrance of the home to do a full height shoe cabinet. I think it'll be about 4 ft in length, if I remember correctly. Wife already immediately 'chope' it for shoe cabinet. For the other side of the wall, I hope I have enough budget to do a suspended cabinet to put stuff like keys, letters etc. Eagerly waiting for Ah Soon's quote. :)