Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
adrian_john

Our 2nd Home In Bishan

i'm sooooo happy for you....from the roller coaster ride till now....finally can see your house reno....must post lots of pictures ok?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
We initially wanted to put a tub back there to enhance and fit with the 'hotel-style' bathroom look.

But in the end, we decided not to for safety considerations, due to the 2 small hyper kids.

I just hope its a decision I won't live to regret.

Hehe, won't regret lar. I wanted to install a tub too when I was doing my reno. 90% of the pple that I talked to said that it's a waste of $$, in terms of installation and water bills. And the people who have tubs, rarely use them, as it takes lots of water to fill up the tub and also due to the hassle to clean the tub. Even if they just use the tub to shower, they have to clean the tub after use, so it's very troublesome. :)

Hehe, won't regret lar. I wanted to install a tub too when I was doing my reno. 90% of the pple that I talked to said that it's a waste of $$, in terms of installation and water bills. And the people who have tubs, rarely use them, as it takes lots of water to fill up the tub and also due to the hassle to clean the tub. Even if they just use the tub to shower, they have to clean the tub after use, so it's very troublesome. :)

Hehehe. Thanks for the comforting consolation Angel.

I feel much better about it now. :)

Yeah, I guess we'll seldom use it except to shower in or maybe once in awhile, let the kids play bubble bath.

Also, my wife ever slipped in the bath and knocked her head badly before, so I think she also phobia.

Anyhow, I bought normal shower mixers already. So bathtub has effectively been ruled out. :(

Booy, thanks for your feedback on the Starmex! So far alot of good feedback on it. So I guess I'd opt for it.

Probably take a higher powered one for the master (maybe 18000 or 22000btu) and normal 9000btus for the rest.

My living room is 22000btu... Since your living room looks bigger than mine, better take a higer powered one..

My living room is 22000btu... Since your living room looks bigger than mine, better take a higer powered one..

Don't think I'll get for living though. I thought of the 22000btu unit for the MBR.

Cos' since both rooms are joined together, perhaps I may not need to use the smaller 9000btu unit in the adjoining room but use the larger one to power both?

Gotta check with the air-con people.

Hehehe. Thanks for the comforting consolation Angel.

I feel much better about it now. :)

Yeah, I guess we'll seldom use it except to shower in or maybe once in awhile, let the kids play bubble bath.

Also, my wife ever slipped in the bath and knocked her head badly before, so I think she also phobia.

Anyhow, I bought normal shower mixers already. So bathtub has effectively been ruled out. :(

you won't regret it.....my parent's place has one and only have been used a few times....really waste of water and space and especially with kids around abit dangerous.....

Edited by preciousjam

Don't think I'll get for living though. I thought of the 22000btu unit for the MBR.

Cos' since both rooms are joined together, perhaps I may not need to use the smaller 9000btu unit in the adjoining room but use the larger one to power both?

Gotta check with the air-con people.

Oooppss.. Misread.. Since you join both rooms, better get a higher powered one like 18000btu.. 22000btu sounds too high liao..

I'm looking forward to more photos too.. :)

Ur house is huge!!! hmmm ur 123 look soo much bigger than my 121...

Ahahaha ... I think its all an optical illusion lah. :)

Somehow, it always looks bigger on floor plan and on photos, helped by the layout too.

But when you're physically at the location, especially in the rooms. You'll see how cramped the space can be! :)

HACKING DONE - THE AFTERMATH

Visited the new place on Saturday and the whole place has been pretty much hacked up. Tiles have arrived and the workers will probably start laying them this week, and will take about a week plus or so.

Living room after hacking.

picture001wsy.jpg

picture006pgc.jpg

The clump of cables on the right scared me for a minute cos' I thought we had hacked a wall that contained the power cables for the whole block. Mr Yeak clarified that its actually only for our unit's concealed wiring. As we're building a storeroom there, the electrician will help us shift the cables to a corner.

picture002lns.jpg

The kitchen service balcony area after hacking.

picture007y.jpg

The stack of tiles, minus the living room ones kept in one of the bedrooms, plus all the cement, sand and waterproofing materials.

picture004his.jpg

The MBR Entrance has been re-opened.

Edited by adrian_john

Hi Adrian

congrats, finally your reno started! Keen to see the transformation of the house you have planned.

Sorry guys for the late replies. Been quite busy of late, both at work, and settle house sale HDB appointment and going around looking for home stuff for the new place.

Hi Adrian

congrats, finally your reno started! Keen to see the transformation of the house you have planned.

Thanks pbtgal. Yup, its good to get started. No choice too, gotta rush as I have to handover my current unit to my buyer.

How's everything going for yours?

wow!u did a over-haul?Including the tiling for your huge living area?must be costly,

During my reno,i save cost and in the end do lamination for the living.

Will u be doing whole house plastering?that will be huge amount too as u have a big area. :P

Waiting for your tiles picture,should be done by now. :)

Heya Rondy, haven't seen you around for some time now.

Yup, the place is a total 100% overhaul, including tiling for the living area.

No need for plastering though (Thank God!) cos' the wall condition is pretty OK.

Er ... tiling by Ah Hui and his guys started last Friday, now still doing, probably be done only by early next week I think.

TILING UPDATE

Just a small update on the tiling work, which started last Friday. They started out with the MBR Bathroom and Common Bathroom walls, then followed by the Service Balcony walls. Just checked yesterday, they've done up most of the Kitchen wall tiles. Most likely finish that part today. Will be visiting the unit later this evening, so will try to take some pics.

Common Bath Wall Tiles

housetiling2003.jpg

Actually, after the put up the wall tiles, I somehow felt something was missing about it, when I got home I realised my fault that I forgot to tell Yeak that I had wanted a 4" strip of the darker wall tile (as used in the MBR bath) across the wall of the common for a contrast. Told Yeak when I met him on Sunday to discuss electrical and lighting points and he was quite nice to oblige to get Ah Hui to sort out the strip portion for me. Initially I thought I could just live with it lah, but Yeak was nice enough to say that its not a problem and to get it done.

MBR Bath Wall Tiles and Waterproofing

housetiling2001.jpg

housetiling2002.jpg

Eagerly awaiting to see how it'd look like with the floor done up.

Edited by adrian_john

hey AJ, good to see u back in action.

we also felt our common toilet looked rather bare after the tiles were up... the wife feels its empty... should have added some feature tiles for contrast :(

too late to change for us. good that u can change urs!