Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
simei_mum

Calling All With Pergo Laminated Flooring

Hi there,

I wish to overlay my marble flooring to laminated flooring, in the living and dining rooms and hallway.

I have also decided on the brand - Pergo - mainly cos they have the high skirting that I require. However, I will be choosing the Malaysian-made "family" range.

May I ask especially those with Pergo flooring themselves:

(1) would you totally recommend Pergo to other brands?

(2) What colour name is your Pergo flooring? I am more inclined on the darkwood eg Wenge or Wooden Chocolate - but I worry it will be too dark for my condo.

(3) Anyone using Sumatra Teak? This is the one recommended by the Salesguy.

Thank you so much for your help!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi there,

I wish to overlay my marble flooring to laminated flooring, in the living and dining rooms and hallway.

I have also decided on the brand - Pergo - mainly cos they have the high skirting that I require. However, I will be choosing the Malaysian-made "family" range.

(2) What colour name is your Pergo flooring? I am more inclined on the darkwood eg Wenge or Wooden Chocolate - but I worry it will be too dark for my condo.

I will not recommend Pergo at all. Used their laminated flooring b4, fish tank cracked, water seeked in, all damaged. Never mind, call them, waited for 3 weeks then they come and change the flooring. After sales service is not that good. (That was 5years ago, now don't know their service how)

ooh, jaskel's experience doesn't sound good....

I had Pergo's Pyparus Range laid on my new plc's bedroom floors, but I have yet to move in tho. Service wise is quite good from this guy called Majid. Follow-ups, changing of skirting etc, all dealt with patience.... but that was when we had not paid the full amount yet lah.... So I dunno how further service will be coz full amount has been paid liao...

Got Pergo coz we thot they were the most reknown for quality... :unsure:

ooh, jaskel's experience doesn't sound good....

I had Pergo's Pyparus Range laid on my new plc's bedroom floors, but I have yet to move in tho. Service wise is quite good from this guy called Majid. Follow-ups, changing of skirting etc, all dealt with patience.... but that was when we had not paid the full amount yet lah.... So I dunno how further service will be coz full amount has been paid liao...

Got Pergo coz we thot they were the most reknown for quality... :unsure:

When I wanted to do laminated flooring for my whole house flooring, I checked thru the website also and came across Pergo. I'm was very impress with the materials and the explanation of their material. That why I convinced my wife on using Pergo (Branded stuff but expensive than other at that time). But :( ....Can only said it my luck...Now doing renovation on my new house, I using another wood feel flooring.

mister molly, yes, the same guy, Najib, serves me. he appears nice.

Jaskel, did they charge you for changing the flooring? If not, then I think waiting 3 weeks is worth it ler. And what brand are you going for with your new house reno, may I ask?

Actually I did also call up Supreme and Vohringer.

Supreme salesguy was really pushy, like he cannot wait for me to sign on even before explaining his flooring to me.

And the vohringer salesguy, I was not impressed with the way he gave me a quote then later said oh by the way this doesn't include hacking of skirting, GST, sawing of doors and shifting up my grill gate. But surely these shd be part and parcel of the whole package right. You mean some people actually lay the floors without hacking off (marble) skirting??

mister molly, yes, the same guy, Najib, serves me. he appears nice.

Jaskel, did they charge you for changing the flooring? If not, then I think waiting 3 weeks is worth it ler. And what brand are you going for with your new house reno, may I ask?

Actually I did also call up Supreme and Vohringer.

Supreme salesguy was really pushy, like he cannot wait for me to sign on even before explaining his flooring to me.

And the vohringer salesguy, I was not impressed with the way he gave me a quote then later said oh by the way this doesn't include hacking of skirting, GST, sawing of doors and shifting up my grill gate. But surely these shd be part and parcel of the whole package right. You mean some people actually lay the floors without hacking off (marble) skirting??

They do charged me for replacing 8 pieces of flooring. Presently, I'm using Designer PVC Timber flooring for my 3 bedrooms and staircase.

p1000424.jpg

p1000425.jpg

Hi there,

i would not recommend overlaying your marble flooring with laminated floorings. Its such a waste and not advisable to lay laminated flooring over big floor area that's heavily used by human traffic. If have to, just go for bedrooms but since u didnt mention bedrooms then I supposed the bedrooms are already laid with either laminated flooring or parquet.

For my house i use pergo for living room, store room and bedrooms. I love the feeling of lying on my living room floor when i'm playing with my dog as it won't give me those cold feeling.(like those tiles, marble)

Hello88, although my contractor did say my apt actually has a high grade of marble flooring, I concur with Alan26. Not sure if others experience this but the marble has been making my feet very cold and lately I have developed numbness / joint pain of my ankles and legs. And I just don't like wearing slippers. Chinese doctor said the marble is too cold for me. Plus I also noticed my kids' legs to be cold everyday, which can't be good for them.

Jaskel, I don't quite understand - your flooring is real timber?

Simei mum,

There are one good thing abt laminate. I remember an occasion while my flat is still under renovation. I slip and fell on my back onto the floor laminate, while i'm halfway on the midair i thought this fall would definitely be painful. Surprisingly, when i actually fall onto the ground it's not painful at all.

Maybe the laminate and the sponge below absorb all the shock from the fall.

Kids like to run around the house and falling while playing. If fall on marble sure very painful one, parent heart more painful.

If fall on laminate flooring, no bruise no blue black, parent heart not so painful ma.

If you wanna install Pergo for lower price. Feel free to PM me for the contact.

Hello88, although my contractor did say my apt actually has a high grade of marble flooring, I concur with Alan26. Not sure if others experience this but the marble has been making my feet very cold and lately I have developed numbness / joint pain of my ankles and legs. And I just don't like wearing slippers. Chinese doctor said the marble is too cold for me. Plus I also noticed my kids' legs to be cold everyday, which can't be good for them.

Jaskel, I don't quite understand - your flooring is real timber?

Hi simei mum, sorry for the late reply as I was busy moving house and doing unpacking now. In not real timber, it look and feel like timber but it PVC. It do not have the hallow feeling and it more lasting than timber flooring....what I can said it see it yourself and u will believe and know more on it. U can come and view my place if u r free.

Hi Everyone

I'm just curious, does the laminated flooring use real wood veneer or just printed image of the real wood? :rolleyes::P

Too many choices will get you confuse :dunno:

Hi Everyone

I'm just curious, does the laminated flooring use real wood veneer or just printed image of the real wood? :rolleyes::P

Laminated flooring has a very thin layer of real wood veneer.

Thanks yokine9a

However I've found link on http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/display_article.asp?ID=192 and on FREEINTERIORADVICE saying this

Laminated flooring are made of High Density Fibreboard which are actually wood pulps compressed very tightly to form boards. They are not conducive to our humid environment as high moisture in the air eventually damages the fibreboard by loosening the fibre within. Laminate, which is a man-made surface with printed patterns, is 'glued' on top of the fibreboard, hence the term, laminated.

Parquet refers to the method of laying solid timber stripwood. The size of these solid timber vary and the pattern of laying dates back. Solid timber, as the name suggests, is made up of a solid natural piece of wood. The most popular type of wood used for parquet in this region is teakwood. Because it is natural wood, the grain and colour of each strip is inconsistent, unlike laminated boards. This, however, adds to the beauty of the floor.

It is unusual for laminated flooring to be infested with termites as these boards are treated with a certain chemicals. The problem could arise from other sources. There are a few possiblities as to how white ants could occur in your flat.

The previous owner may have had white ants in one of his wood furniture and these may have spread into the flooring.

If the flooring is old (>10 yrs) and if your unit is on ground or 2nd level, dampness, which results in wood rotting away, may have attracted these termites.

Sorry too much info, although it didn't mention which brand of Laminated Flooring, oh well I'll try to get some Pergo Laminated Flooring samples. Dissect it to see what it is made of. :notti:

Alan26, may i compare with you re Pergo quote. I was quoted $2700 for 540 sq ft area (all inclusive of trimming of 1 door, shifting up of kitchen sliding door and shifting up grill gate, and skirting hacking and replacing. is this reasonable? And what do others in this forum think of this quote? It is the family range of Pergo ie the cheapest range, Made in malaysia (which I don;t have problem with).

Alan26, another question: I thought there is only ONE company carrying Pergo, namely, Good**** (not sure if I can put the exact name down here so I marked with asteriks). Is that where you got yours from? May I enquire how much you did yours for?

Jaskel, let me check out their website. Many thanks. I haven;'t heard of this particular brand before so a bit wary.

Finally, one thing that I sorta mind about Pergo is that their "images" of the wood have a lot of board-tones - looks like many irregular-sized planks joining together sort of like parquet look, which I don't really like. I prefer the type as if it is one long plank. Hope you all get what I mean. I know Kronotex has what I described but their price is $3400.