Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rasp

Our Home

Gd tip on the conceal trunking! The aircon installer had no other choice but to run the trunking into my wardrobe, but thkfully only a small portion n near the floor. Looking at ur leakage gave me the assurance that it was right not to let them run the bulk of trunking in my wardrobe!

Yes, im also thinking of ways not to run it within any carpentry, above any applicances or furnitures.

Most people will think such things seldom happen but I think it does happen. So better play safe. :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I am thinking of how to do up my common bathroom. Its pretty long, but narrow.

Anyone have any idea on where to put the shower and basin? The w.c. is right inside the toilet (but the current seating is facing that black-coloured wall instead of towards outside as show on the pic).

Below is the layout and dimension.

Kitchenonlyplan.jpg

Do u intend to hack any walls? Looking at ur layout, it will be great if u seal up the original entrance to the toilet, and open one in front of the basin. That way, the original entrance area could be ur shower area, and can even put a shower screen there. :)

Do u intend to hack any walls? Looking at ur layout, it will be great if u seal up the original entrance to the toilet, and open one in front of the basin. That way, the original entrance area could be ur shower area, and can even put a shower screen there. :)

Yup, Angel81 has a good idea. So, you can have a wet and dry area. And, have a feature wall facing the new door [if you are reposition it] to give a grand entrance.

If you are thinking of repositioning the wc, get an advice from your plumber. It could be possible - just that, when sourcing for new wc, you need to get a proper specs. I cant recall much about the technical wc thing but there are differences in the market.

Yes, im also thinking of ways not to run it within any carpentry, above any applicances or furnitures.

Most people will think such things seldom happen but I think it does happen. So better play safe. :D

cant agree more. Seems like leakage is one of the most problematic issue for aircons. But one qn, how come the trunking leaks? Usually leakages are at the fancoils?

Ur toilet layout is similar to mine, i agree w the rest that chging the toilet door position shd ease the planning. Alternatively, can shift the basin inner and do a box-up style shower area? i saw that in pinkpetter's house.

toilet.jpg

i agree with Angel. Changing the position of the entrance will give you a wet and dry area. One for shower screen(wet area) and the other is the basin and WC.

cant agree more. Seems like leakage is one of the most problematic issue for aircons. But one qn, how come the trunking leaks? Usually leakages are at the fancoils?

Ur toilet layout is similar to mine, i agree w the rest that chging the toilet door position shd ease the planning. Alternatively, can shift the basin inner and do a box-up style shower area? i saw that in pinkpetter's house.

toilet.jpg

Hi Mrspiglet,

I am also not sure why my trunking 'sweat' so much. Actually we didnt expect it and never think of checking that area until that one fine day, the envelope show us the path. hee..

The trunking along my bedrm have turned dirty and yellow-looking, thou my wall painting still look white (they are painted at the same time). I hasn't noticed them until this incident. I am guessing that its the condensation. Umm.. maybe I should take a pic and show you.

Thanks for drawing for me. But putting the shower area there is kinda tough as its along the window and the width of the toilet is around 1.5m only. So the 'walk' space might be abit narrow and always got to walk pass the shower area to get to the wash basin. Let me think think about it. :D

Yup, Angel81 has a good idea. So, you can have a wet and dry area. And, have a feature wall facing the new door [if you are reposition it] to give a grand entrance.

If you are thinking of repositioning the wc, get an advice from your plumber. It could be possible - just that, when sourcing for new wc, you need to get a proper specs. I cant recall much about the technical wc thing but there are differences in the market.

i agree with Angel. Changing the position of the entrance will give you a wet and dry area. One for shower screen(wet area) and the other is the basin and WC.

Hi Angel81, Reiki and Smallboy,

My hubby have the same idea as you three. Seems like more organised way to do it this way. Hee.. so all the great mind think alike? :P

The only concerns are the need to hack and build wall, any one have a rough idea hw much it will cost?

CommonBathroomOption.jpg

Above are some of the ideas generated, which one do you prefer?

Option C is the one that you four (including my hubby) thought of.. Hee..

Option A doesn't need to hack, an easier way.

Option B seems to make the area very cramped, don't know if got enough space to shower and the washing machine 'room' is really just put the W/M.

What are your comments?

Thanks for drawing for me. But putting the shower area there is kinda tough as its along the window and the width of the toilet is around 1.5m only. So the 'walk' space might be abit narrow and always got to walk pass the shower area to get to the wash basin. Let me think think about it. :D

It will save $$ from hacking, but yah, the width will be very small. Shower screen area min is 90cm. So left with 60cm to walk. Then minus away the ledge, and plus/minus abit of measurements, maybe 50cm walkway left? Will have to walk sideways to get into the WC. :(

Hi Angel81, Reiki and Smallboy,

My hubby have the same idea as you three. Seems like more organised way to do it this way. Hee.. so all the great mind think alike? :P

The only concerns are the need to hack and build wall, any one have a rough idea hw much it will cost?

Option B seems to make the area very cramped, don't know if got enough space to shower and the washing machine 'room' is really just put the W/M.

What are your comments?

Option A:

WC and most prob the toilet paper will be wet. Unless u wana do another glass panel next to WC to prevent water from splashing there. But will make ur toilet look very cramp. Kids and old folks using the toilet may slip cuz the WC is not in a dry area.

Option B:

Like the hidden WM. If u choose this, can do extra storage above WM. But toilet will be super cramp, and there'll be almost no space to shower. Confirm cannot do vanity for extra storage. :(

Option C:

Haha, still my fav. Separate wet area for shower. Can do vanity. WC area will be dry too - safer for kids/elders. :)

One last option to consider:

If budget is really very tight, then just remain as it is. :) But will be gd to change basin to opp wall. Shower's water will not damage the mirror or other accessories above ur basin. :)

CommonBathroomOption.jpg

Above are some of the ideas generated, which one do you prefer?

What are your comments?

Hacking/Erecting walls - not sure. Maybe $1,000 - $1,200? Guess, if you are hacking some other walls in the house, it will be cheaper.

01. I still prefer Option C. It's practical.

02. Say, you are putting WM there, will there be issue with electrical point? I think it is illegal to have points in toilets - I may be wrong here.

ya, i agreed that the walkway will be narrow. So i also strongly going for option c.

I think its illegal to have electrical points in toilet leh. safety hazard. :unsure:

Yes, I also think so. My current washing machine is in that position now. A number of electricians also told us that. So was pretty determine to bring that out previously.... until I start drawing my kitchen... i don't know where to put my washing machine. hehee.. very funny right?

Seems like most like the option c... hee.. ok.. tentatively settle for it.. need to spend time to plan other area..

By the way, can I check with you guys.. how long does the contractors usually take to reply on the quotation? And how many contractors did you all go to before settling on the right one for your reno?

Any tips to share when meeting them up?

We met up with one contractor last wkend. And during the discussion, he recommended that we use arylic for our bedroom doors. One of their customer had install it and they shown me the pic (white arylic whole piece door). Its a swing bedroom door with the lockset. And the whole door is a whole piece of arylic and the look is quite class. I just browse through the catalog, quite a no. of colours to choose from and there are some colours are with sprinkles embedded.

The cost is around the same as those normal wooden bedroom door.

The advantages that he told us was.. its easy to clean, and there's no need to repaint the door again in few years time as the colour doesn't fade. And won't face the problem on the expansion/contraction of the normal wood door. I did have this expansion/contractor problem with the wooden doors at my parent's place last time, cant close the door during the colder months and have to force the door open/close as they just cant go into the frame.

I have never see any one using arylic for their bedroom doors. What do you guys think of arylic bedroom door?

By the way, can I check with you guys.. how long does the contractors usually take to reply on the quotation? And how many contractors did you all go to before settling on the right one for your reno?

Any tips to share when meeting them up?

Yeak gave me a quote within afew days. He's usually pretty fast on replying/amending quotes. I went to 4 contractors/IDs, shortlisted 2 and finally decided on Yeak. :)

Know what u wan roughly for ur decor/design, so that u can discuss with them and they can give u specific advices/ideas. It'll make the discussion faster and allow u to gauge each contractor using the same baseline. :)

The advantages that he told us was.. its easy to clean, and there's no need to repaint the door again in few years time as the colour doesn't fade. And won't face the problem on the expansion/contraction of the normal wood door. I did have this expansion/contractor problem with the wooden doors at my parent's place last time, cant close the door during the colder months and have to force the door open/close as they just cant go into the frame.

I have never see any one using arylic for their bedroom doors. What do you guys think of arylic bedroom door?

Sounds interesting. So far I've only seen it being used for bi-fold or PD doors. It should look good. But there are some acrylic that are rather translucent. So if u change directly behind the doors, shadows can be seen outside. :)

Yeak gave me a quote within afew days. He's usually pretty fast on replying/amending quotes. I went to 4 contractors/IDs, shortlisted 2 and finally decided on Yeak. :)

Know what u wan roughly for ur decor/design, so that u can discuss with them and they can give u specific advices/ideas. It'll make the discussion faster and allow u to gauge each contractor using the same baseline. :)

Sounds interesting. So far I've only seen it being used for bi-fold or PD doors. It should look good. But there are some acrylic that are rather translucent. So if u change directly behind the doors, shadows can be seen outside. :)

Hi Angel81,

I think I am not so lucky. I email Yeak the item that I want to do last week and just spoken on the phone with him this morning. He said his schedule for next month already packed. I ask him for Aug, but he sort-of hestitated, I :dunno: how also. So I ask him to have a look at my email first and see how. Guess more likely he too packed to take up my reno. I too slow... :bangwall::(

I forgotten about the shadow part for Arylic. Ummm.. have to check on this area. Thanks for highlighting it. :D

Oh ya, I wanted to ask you about your kitchen cabinet height from the floor. I am quite short, so I wonder how much to have for the height.

Edited by Rasp