Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
RyanX

Need Advice For False Ceiling And L-box

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

<!--quoteo(post=440288:date=Aug 18 2009, 11:59 PM:name=qus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (qus @ Aug 18 2009, 11:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=440288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I went to get a quote for my false ceiling with a L box light holder along one side of the wall.

Area is 7.45 m x 5.30 m.

L box is along the 5.30 m wall.

False ceiling $1150

L box $300

Lighting points @ $45 per point

Fan point @ $50

And a strange to me is $600 for workmen salary. Is this normal?

I am only doing the ceiling and no other reno works.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who did you get this quote from? From my calculation.. and based on what I got from my false ceiling contractor, the false ceiling should be no more than $900, and the L-box no more than $120.

Lighting point, depends on whether it is concealed or not. Concealed in ceiling costs more. But if the lighting point is going to be hidden inside the false ceiling, then you should be charged the non-concealed price. Fan Point is standard at $50. There is NO such thing as workmen salary.

If this is the pricing you are getting from my false ceiling contractor, tell him his pricing is way beyond what I had been quoted. And if no change, then tell him to forget it and update us in this forum so I'll stop recommending him.

Hi Melancholic,

Kindly share with me the contact as well. :)

Or anybody who has gotten the contact share with us?

TIA!

'Market' Rates for a lot of IDs, before negotiation:

False Ceiling - $5psf

L-box - $10-12 pfr

L-box with cove lighting - $17pfr

after negotiation

False Ceiling - $3psf

L-Box - $9 to $10 pfr

L-box with cove lighting - $13-14 pfr

If ID is boss of company, which happens to be the rates contractors will charge you:

False Ceiling - can push to $2.50psf

L-Box - $7 pfr

L-box with cove lighting - $10pfr

Market Rate for actual sub-contractor doing the work (I didn't have my ceiling work done by my ID but by my uncle's relative's work partner)

False Ceiling - $2 psf

L-Box - $4.50 pfr (Correction, it's actually $6-6.50 pfr)

L-box with cove lighting - $7pfr

I saved at least $1k by getting my own contractor to do the false ceiling!!!

Is the above rate still valid for today? Like to gather some facts for me to bargain with my id. :sport-smiley-003:

Thanks.

my whole house (3rm resale) false ceiling plus 6 access panels with cove lighting in the living and covering all aircon pipes plus cut in for aircon cost 1.8K

Hi All,

I am planning to do up L Box / False Ceiling in my living and dining rooms. With down lights. Am not sure what are the market rates at the moment. My hall size is 3 m by 4 m. My dining is about the same size. Was thinking of juz having L Box **** area while dining comes with false ceiling.

Appreciate any form of help.

Many thanks in advance.

RyanX

just want to ask a question.

would it be weird if just do false ceiling for the living rooms and not the bedrooms?

its up to you. My house we only intend to do for living room and MBR. Anyway, its your house, so long you felt comfortable with it. :)

anyone here had Lbox throughout living n dining area with aircon pelmet? or noes if minimum must use 16 or 18inch? cos my ID told mi the std 12inch Lbox he do cannot so i might need topup to tink Lboxbtw living n dining area cos aircon currently is in the middle. appreciate if someone can help

1) Wanna check with those who have engaged Mr Chan, is he good?

2) Those who have cove lightings, is it difficult to maintain, cos there's a ledge and will it become dusty after a while? so how does one clean it every now and then?

Thanks in advance for any reply :)

Hi,

Can you please PM your contractor number to me as well - need to get false ceiling done

thanks

<!--quoteo(post=440830:date=Aug 20 2009, 06:27 PM:name=qus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (qus @ Aug 20 2009, 06:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=440830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the advice. NO, it is not from your contractor. Can you pm me his number. Will he just do the ceiling job and nothing else?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He does ceiling work only.

He has electricians that he works with. I'll PM u.

hi all,

initially i had quotations for a false ceiling with multiple lighting points.

after a thorough analysis, we decided to forgo the false ceiling. the considerations are:

1. increase headroom - esp for hdb

2. reduce lighting points - usually about 20-30 per point. for false ceiling, there is always more lighting points.

3. save on false ceiling cost.

4. easier to maintain esp when compared to cove lighting.

More details and sketches here.

my 2-cents worth. with the savings, we could splurge on more fancy looking lighting.

our completed hdb flat can be seen here

Hi, can you PM me the false ceiling contact too?

I intend to have the down lights install in the false ceiling, if i get this vendor to do false, who will do the wiring? Do i need to get a seperate electrition to do it?

What is the sequence of renovation?

can pm me contact too pls.

i am thinking if i should do up the false ceiling first then get my Electrician & ID to start the work on the remaining or how.. dontwanna engage my ID to do the false ceiling as they are expensive..

any advise?