Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ossify

My Cosy Home In Holland

No need hood ma? really ah? :unsure: coz I was considering to get one lehz.. I will also be using induction cooker lehz..

ya really.

hi can I ask why induction cooker no need hood ah? I thought hood is to suck oil and fume from cooking, regardless of stove? Unless induction cooker cannot do "oily" kind of cooking? still alot to learn for me

because induction cooker's temperature can be easily controlled. you can cook food at a temperature lower than the temperature where the oil is vapourised.

yes, hood is to suck oil and fume, but do you know that the smell is not removed?

induction can do oily cooking, but the oil won't vapourise

Ha.. was abt to ask this question also.. tot even light cooking (e.g vegetable pan fried) would have fume/oil?

with flame hobs, yes. with induction, at lower setting, no oil vapours.

Hey ossify.. just finished reading jeffcraze blog.. paiseh huh.. didn't know you really is consultant.. Ha.. :yamseng:

I was just joking around.. :D

heh, now you know :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
no need :D save $, save space

I wonder over the long run what is the TCO of induction vs gas, considering electricity tariffs are constantly rising.

Edited by titanax

because induction cooker's temperature can be easily controlled. you can cook food at a temperature lower than the temperature where the oil is vapourised.

yes, hood is to suck oil and fume, but do you know that the smell is not removed?

induction can do oily cooking, but the oil won't vapourise

heh, now you know :D

Something new to learn on induction cooking.. Ha.. always have the tot that any cooking, no matter what, would have oily fume coz use oil mah..

Ha.. hey.. got website? i wanna see leh.. or can briefly say what reno consultant do? e.g advice on what can or cannot do base on floorplan and needs of the customer? :)

what do you think of those portable induction set ? does it work similarly to the induction hob ?

Something new to learn on induction cooking.. Ha.. always have the tot that any cooking, no matter what, would have oily fume coz use oil mah..

Ha.. hey.. got website? i wanna see leh.. or can briefly say what reno consultant do? e.g advice on what can or cannot do base on floorplan and needs of the customer? :)

I wonder over the long run what is the TCO of induction vs gas, considering electricity tariffs are constantly rising.

have to factor in a lot of considerations like health, safety, maintenance, cleaning too

my electrical bills are very low despite using induction :)

ya, the Smoke Point (temperature at which the oil begins to decompose and visible fumes are given off) for cooking oil is 190 degrees celcius onwards. So as long as you cook below the Smoke Point, there will not be oily fumes.

no website yet. i need a hosting server and a web page designer :)

well, briefly put, my aim is to work with you to fulfill your reno dreams at a good price.

what do you think of those portable induction set ? does it work similarly to the induction hob ?

I am using a portable induction set. It works similarly to induction hob except that it's mobile, portable, and more energy efficient. get Taiyo :) I got mine at $78 each. I bought 2, but so far only one is needed.

That sounds like a good idea ! Thanks!

I am using a portable induction set. It works similarly to induction hob except that it's mobile, portable, and more energy efficient. get Taiyo :) I got mine at $78 each. I bought 2, but so far only one is needed.

ya, the Smoke Point (temperature at which the oil begins to decompose and visible fumes are given off) for cooking oil is 190 degrees celcius onwards. So as long as you cook below the Smoke Point, there will not be oily fumes.

no website yet. i need a hosting server and a web page designer :)

well, briefly put, my aim is to work with you to fulfill your reno dreams at a good price.

Oh... Thanks for the info.. in future would use induction cooking.. Ha..

Hmm.. means u also do coordinating work like a contractor?

Hi Ossify,

Got a question regarding the aluminium laundry poles. I've been told there are 2 types - adjustable and non-adjustable ones. In your opinion, which is better? Does it get heavy when loaded with clothes to hang(compared to bamboo poles)?

TIA!!

Oh... Thanks for the info.. in future would use induction cooking.. Ha..

Hmm.. means u also do coordinating work like a contractor?

Yes, that's right.

Hi Ossify,

Got a question regarding the aluminium laundry poles. I've been told there are 2 types - adjustable and non-adjustable ones. In your opinion, which is better? Does it get heavy when loaded with clothes to hang(compared to bamboo poles)?

TIA!!

Non-adjustable is cheaper, and imho, better. Strength, Stability and Weight of pole are the 3 important factors for laundry pole. Bamboo pole is definitely heavier than aluminium. It's the clothes that's heavy, not the aluminium pole. Aluminium pole wouldn't make your clothes weigh less. If you compare the same clothes with aluminium pole or with bamboo pole, bamboo pole will definitely be heavier :D

Day 22

2 men came today, continued with tiling and painting oil sealer, electrician came to do detailed measurements

Total cost for the day's work: $200

Hacking 50ft walls and clearing of debris: $1000

Accumulated cost for labour: $4500 (including clearing of debris)

Accumulated cost for raw materials: $2340.21

Total reno bill as of now: $7840.21

Electrician/plumber and my tiler was discussing about tile cutting. Apparently my electrician/plumber has never heard of a tile drill bit before, rather disappointing. Together they cut some holes in my tile+wall, looks pretty decent. I think my tiler is a lot better at drilling holes in tiles than the electrician/plumber.

Hi Bro Ossify,

i went to Haffary to choose tiles..but most of tiles we choose is out of stock..so need to find other similar tiles for replacement...i like the tiles colour of your master toilet ...what is the colour..look like sand colour....can u give me the code number so i can go Haffary to search..thx...

Hi ossify,

i am looking for kitchen granite top with the blings blings but in white colour.

i saw a lot of those at ID place but all in Black Galaxy.

i need in very white with blings. which one ah?

i go through the websites but the picture too small.

cannot see if is the correct granite i wan.

Hi Bro Ossify,

i went to Haffary to choose tiles..but most of tiles we choose is out of stock..so need to find other similar tiles for replacement...i like the tiles colour of your master toilet ...what is the colour..look like sand colour....can u give me the code number so i can go Haffary to search..thx...

Will contact you tonight on this :D

Hi ossify,

how does the tile drill bit work ? it minimises cracking of the tile ?

Yes, it slowly grinds away the tile thus preventing cracking. This is very important for homogenous tiles or expensive tiles. But, most sub-cons just use the normal drill bits. Save hassle, save $$.

Hi ossify,

i am looking for kitchen granite top with the blings blings but in white colour.

i saw a lot of those at ID place but all in Black Galaxy.

i need in very white with blings. which one ah?

i go through the websites but the picture too small.

cannot see if is the correct granite i wan.

Sorry, I don't have granite top, my kitchen top is from Ikea and it's only $75 for 6ft (or $12.5pfr) :)

Hmm ... now i know why the hole they were drilling to mount some accessory on my kitchen wall wasnt very neat ... had to put potty for one of them as the hole was too big.

can those special drill bits be bought from the hardware store ?

Yes, it slowly grinds away the tile thus preventing cracking. This is very important for homogenous tiles or expensive tiles. But, most sub-cons just use the normal drill bits. Save hassle, save $$.

Hmm ... now i know why the hole they were drilling to mount some accessory on my kitchen wall wasnt very neat ... had to put potty for one of them as the hole was too big.

can those special drill bits be bought from the hardware store ?

Go to any Homefix or Selfix store.

Looks like this

tile.jpg

Tile Bit

A bit for drilling ceramic tiles and glass, it has a ground tungsten carbide tip. They can be used with a hand drill, but are best used in a variable speed power drill on a slow speed. When drilling glass, some form of lubricant (i.e. turpentine or white spirit ) should be used to keep the tip cool.

Ceramic tiles can also be drilled using a masonry bit if it is used at slow speed and without hammer action.

Sharpening - difficult because of the hard tungsten carbide and curved cutting edge. With care and patience, a blunt edge can be made good using an oilstone.

Sharpening - use a drill sharpener or grindstone to sharpen the tungsten carbide tip.

Edited by ossify