Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
alamak

Finally... Our Home

this watt miser brand, how expensive is it compared to typical china brand? If slightly more expensive only, can consider.

But on second thoughts, 10 plus years ago we are also use the tube in our kitchen, and it lasted quite long.... i suppose back then we bought any cheapo brand also as we are not as well informed as we are now about various brands and such stuffs.

paiseh, i haven't research T8 prices yet :D just buy cheap cheap $1 tubes can liao:D

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
for me, the cove lightings for my place are just for the ambient lighting and not to be used solely as a direct source of lighting. Those will be done by the PLCs.

this is what i will be doing, only concern is how many tubes needed to light up the whole cove lighting area w/o obvious pockets of dimmer areas.

layout-light-2.jpg

but come to think of it, i am not sure if i will be using the cove lights that frequently. maybe only when i am watching movies in the living room. still considering whether to have cove lights a not..... have to decide by Xmas. :D

I think even if there are pockets of dimmer areas also ok right? You can see it as another design :D As long as there is no pockets with completely no light - like lthose tubes that some kopitiam mounted on the external wall around their kopitiam.

nowadays like not many pple mount fluorescent directly on the ceiling, i mostly see them in cove lighting purely for ambience.

Yeah... looks very obiang, old school if mount direct on ceiling. Y not let Ossify educate us how he dress up his tubes and yet did not use clove light? :)

if i don't diffuse, it won't look good :D if you want cheap and classy, have to diffuse :D

the cove light can only throw light in 1 direction, it doesn't throw downwards. If you want to throw downwards, your L box must have holes to let light travel downwards. Know what i mean?

Yeah understand. If i have holes in L Box, then it is as good as having PLC lights.

How you diffuse light? Like those offices they use the silver reflector plate surrounding the tube?

I think even if there are pockets of dimmer areas also ok right? You can see it as another design :D As long as there is no pockets with completely no light - like lthose tubes that some kopitiam mounted on the external wall around their kopitiam.

seriously, i have no idea know cos this is my 1st home and 1st experience with cove lights. :D

hopefully can come out with the correct decision on how many tubes to place and also whether to have exposed or covered tubes.

Edited by alamak

Yeah understand. If i have holes in L Box, then it is as good as having PLC lights.

How you diffuse light? Like those offices they use the silver reflector plate surrounding the tube?

Mmmm actually if you have holes in L-box, you can switch on one light and have both effects of cove lighting and down lighting at the same time! energy saving :D

I use light diffuser from www.dama.com.sg

dif1.gif

Edited by ossify

hi bro, not lost yet lah. still managed to find our men whom we left behind. :D

Haha. Good to cya on renotalk.

Btw what kind of concept are you going with?

$1 is cheap enuff. Can put more no problem... :D

actually tube cost is negligible, worried about the lighting point cost. put more = more lighting point cost. but i seen on the web, can daisy chain cove lights. if possible then dunno can put 3-4 tubes and consider as 1 lighting point anot? :D

Haha. Good to cya on renotalk.

Btw what kind of concept are you going with?

hmm.. concept. we do not have a specific concept, living room will be mainly black and white with a touch of red (modern i guess) while MBR going for a more cosy feel. dunno how our place will turn out cos no ID involved. *fingers crossed*

actually tube cost is negligible, worried about the lighting point cost. put more = more lighting point cost. but i seen on the web, can daisy chain cove lights. if possible then dunno can put 3-4 tubes and consider as 1 lighting point anot? :D

If you DIY, can :D

if not DIY, sure chop your carrot :D

If you DIY, can :D

if not DIY, sure chop your carrot :D

hmm.. maybe can consider DIY for the cove lights, just ask my electrician to leave the wires exposed then the rest settle myself.

If you daisy chain 3 or 4 tubes, you will switch on all of them together. If this is what you want then ok.

For me i would prefer to break them up to at least 2 sections, so that i can selectively switch on only maybe 2 at any one time. Electricity bills.....

But if too few tubes, break up also no use la... i haven got a concrete design for lighting yet... will see how.... :)

Edited by gantan88

hmm.. concept. we do not have a specific concept, living room will be mainly black and white with a touch of red (modern i guess) while MBR going for a more cosy feel. dunno how our place will turn out cos no ID involved. *fingers crossed*

No problem actually.. 3NG not a super big house, can DIY on design and colour matching. Although i engaged an ID firm, now i regretted. Cos' in terms of design aspect, i feel that i am receiving not enuff service from them. I do my colour matching myself also can actually, not any worse off than theirs.

If you daisy chain 3 or 4 tubes, you will switch on all of them together. If this is what you want then ok.

For me i would prefer to break them up to at least 2 sections, so that i can selectively switch on only maybe 2 at any one time. Electricity bills.....

But if too few tubes, break up also no use la... i haven got a concrete design for lighting yet... will see how.... :)

i know what u mean. for cove light, i will only turn it on when i want the lights to be dimmer o/w it'll all remain switched off, so I think for my requirements, all on and off together should be ok. maybe after the 1st month utilities bill then i will regret. :0

anyway now i am open to all ideas before deciding on what to do later this week.