Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Lessons From The Id Selection Process

I just have to exercise our right! I seen cases where ID mark up cost as much as 60% for small items. This is totally unethical.

No badge. Being CASE and volunteer in true consumer woes, you know that you have to set high standard! You get soft hearted, then it is your losses. It is the same i.e. car purchase from PI, buying houses, time shares....etc.

We should start a thread on how much markup ID does on items ;p

Please do!

I have a list of sort-of-cost-price that an ID sent to me by mistake with all the contractor contact and cost price to them and selling price. its a bit messy though.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Please do!

I have a list of sort-of-cost-price that an ID sent to me by mistake with all the contractor contact and cost price to them and selling price. its a bit messy though.

brother, you start I support. It helps to get the community aware and expose of bad practices. Doing public service

brother, you start I support. It helps to get the community aware and expose of bad practices. Doing public service

cannot lah i not CASE member hahahah dun dare. later kena dunno from who where what. but i can send you the list :)

cannot lah i not CASE member hahahah dun dare. later kena dunno from who where what. but i can send you the list :)

Actually, you do not need to worry. As long as you got their official quote, that is a clear mark up case!

For doing community service, you don't need to provide name and company. Just said item name, walk in price SGD60, ID quote in reno SGD 150.

This skeptical contractor sometimes might end up telling you all sort of good things and tried to persuade you with their good quotes. Firstly, it is important to make sure they are at least HDB License. Secondly, all payment must be over to the company ID, not through the Contractor pocket. Most renovation Contractors usually run out of cash flow, and they will normally tried to get bits and pieces of job and cover those costs here and there.

A reason for a HDB license or BCA Licence is just to cover yourself in-case of any disputes arises, you can look for the respective authority to persuade into the matter. Do take note, your payment with Contractors must always get a receipt or confirmation either by writing or SMS to you when you started making progressive payment.

This skeptical contractor sometimes might end up telling you all sort of good things and tried to persuade you with their good quotes. Firstly, it is important to make sure they are at least HDB License. Secondly, all payment must be over to the company ID, not through the Contractor pocket. Most renovation Contractors usually run out of cash flow, and they will normally tried to get bits and pieces of job and cover those costs here and there.

A reason for a HDB license or BCA Licence is just to cover yourself in-case of any disputes arises, you can look for the respective authority to persuade into the matter. Do take note, your payment with Contractors must always get a receipt or confirmation either by writing or SMS to you when you started making progressive payment.

Read your story. Terrible experience that you went through.

Which also lead me to decide to use HDB registered ID instead of contractor, so its easily to coordinate as well.

Yes, use a HDB approved ID. Today, I am going to share with you...how's you are being ripped off.

Engaging a ID or contractor, you will expect that they get margin off by introducing you to selected lightning house or kitchen miscellaneous.

By right, the ID or contractor should provide you better pricing than you walk in by yourself. Else, why should we go with them, and they get commission out of it.

One tell-tales sign of big ripped off by shop is:

1. No itemize quote for the items you bought. They are all lump up. Why? By not itemizing it, they don’t let you compare the prices outside. That is the tell tale sign of big ripped off.

One tell-tale sign of being ripped off by ID is:

1. Consolidation of miscellaneous cost into the reno quotation. That’s he ripped you off the commission from the shop and added on “service charges”

Always insist of getting itemized. Tell your ID in the face, “I am not making this difficult for you. But you are supposed to bring me to shop that give me better discount than I walk in myself.”

The bible of comparing what you buy with 3 quotes never failed!! Do that and you will be surprised that they save you one or two hundreds out of a thousand!

Now, share your experiences.

Get a RADAC approved company to protect yourself.

What is RADAC? Their mission statement are

To assist consumers in obtaining their rights and good value for money when engaging a renovation contractor, the Standard Contract gives guidelines on the contractual obligations between renovation firms and their consumers.

http://www.radac.org.sg/abt.asp?tp=contract

Is your contractor RADAC approved?

Please do!

Hi Zhiz,

Can you send me the list, I sort of kaypoh a bit, need to know how much my contractor made from my reno. He keep complaining $$$ very low already no further discount lah blah blah...

Hi Zhiz,

Can you send me the list, I sort of kaypoh a bit, need to know how much my contractor made from my reno. He keep complaining $$$ very low already no further discount lah blah blah...

Lets just say that out of the 2 quotes that i got that has cost price in it, a 20k quote, their margin is 5k.

However i think we must also be fair that its their rice bowl. Their time, effort, profit margin that goes into overheads, transport etc. Its similar to how ppl lambast insurance agent earn too much commissions but at the same time they dun realise the chicken rice seller profit margin is even higher.

Lets just say that out of the 2 quotes that i got that has cost price in it, a 20k quote, their margin is 5k.

However i think we must also be fair that its their rice bowl. Their time, effort, profit margin that goes into overheads, transport etc. Its similar to how ppl lambast insurance agent earn too much commissions but at the same time they dun realise the chicken rice seller profit margin is even higher.

Well, chicken rice is only an half hour pain. You eat it, you don't like at most you spend 3 to 5 bux? Renovation is a process pain, imagining living through with the days or weeks. And you are paying 20 to 50k for it....

To be less pain, state the right terms and conditions at start. Go for those that give you more advantages, uncover all hidden costs, get a detailed schedule.

I always told my ID that they only pain for few weeks, but I suffer for years for job not well done. And I am the one paying $$$.

So as customer, we should be united and get what is right for us!! :)

Read this informative thread, if you are planning to do your house to know what pain you will go through, if you think you can go through..without supervision on reno.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?au...;showentry=2919

If you did sail through, you are very very lucky indeed.

Well, chicken rice is only an half hour pain. You eat it, you don't like at most you spend 3 to 5 bux? Renovation is a process pain, imagining living through with the days or weeks. And you are paying 20 to 50k for it....

To be less pain, state the right terms and conditions at start. Go for those that give you more advantages, uncover all hidden costs, get a detailed schedule.

I always told my ID that they only pain for few weeks, but I suffer for years for job not well done. And I am the one paying $$$.

So as customer, we should be united and get what is right for us!! :)

Read this informative thread, if you are planning to do your house to know what pain you will go through, if you think you can go through..without supervision on reno.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?au...;showentry=2919

If you did sail through, you are very very lucky indeed.

Thats scary. But I am quite confident mine will turn out well, because my ID has been very reliable. Plus, she is a perfectionist so I don't think she will comfortable if I am feeling uncomfortable.

ps, also no money to do box up in toilet ahah. poor is better.

Thats scary. But I am quite confident mine will turn out well, because my ID has been very reliable. Plus, she is a perfectionist so I don't think she will comfortable if I am feeling uncomfortable.

ps, also no money to do box up in toilet ahah. poor is better.

Good to hear u have so much confidence in your ID. No up date on ur blog ?

Good to hear u have so much confidence in your ID. No up date on ur blog ?

yeah pics coming up in 5 min