Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Lessons From The Id Selection Process

This is my process of selecting the ID:

1) Read through the forum and shortlist the IDs (In this case, I shortlisted 7).

2) Met up with all 6 to go through the house floor plan (Space Planning), what we want to do, etc.

3) They will send the quotations based on what was discussed, usually within a week.

4) From Step 2), normally you will have an idea which are the ones whom you can click with and which ones are those you definitely wont want to work with them. For me, it was narrowed down to 2 IDs by this stage.

5) Out of these 2 IDs, further discussion + bargaining led us to confirm the One (Our selected ID is the only one who offered to view the flats first)...

Points to note:

1) The higest and lowest quotes vary by around 5k.

2) Our selected ID quote is not the cheapest, but somewhere in the mid range of all the 8 ID's quote, because i believe experience, service and whether we can click with the ID are more important than the saving in cost.

3) I feel it is very important for the ID to see your house before confirming with them. Because alot of things in the quotation will change after they see your house. For eg, ID said my house ceiling height is too low to do whole false ceiling because of height regulation by HDB (so, even if i have money to spend, i cant do it). So, the only thing i can do is L Box which is cheaper in a sense. ID also went through with us the electrical stuff, the number of single switch required, double switch required, the lighting points , etc during the house visit. Electrical stuff is a source of hidden cost if it is not discussed properly beforehand.

4) Some IDs proposed very nice designs which we like alot... But of course, the price is very high too. For eg, doing platform to separate study and bedroom area, partitions etc. To work within our budget, we have to give up some of the nice design ideas or use alternatives...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

well said, bro hongwen37. I'm going through the same process as you..

hopefully I can made up my mind and find the right ID soon

:yamseng:

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Really great to hear from actual experience hehe :D More or less have narrowed down to 3 quotes on hand now.

CHeers!

my flat currently undergoing renovation...i hv decided on this id aftr comparing a few of other ids..& tis female id indeed offered cheapest quote in terms of other items...and also there r no hidden cost, if ther is , she will tell mi...

i noe about her work coz previously she was recommended by my fren...knowing that she is not those cunning type..

so far so gd...and during the reno process...try to "bully" her by telling her,do tis ,do dat for free can or nt...hahaha...

wat i like is dat she is not pushy and design according to ur budget and deem wat suit u or doesnt suit,unlike some other ids, who keep on ask u do tis do that then say like dat will b nice etc...in actuali fact, the more items u do, they more they will earn...

zhiz you still keeping bettas? not sure if you remem but i bought some microworms from u haha

haha just started again

did you use this nick all the time mutton?

haha

hi zhiz,

can you PM me a copy of your quote and ID info? i'm just starting out my reno mission but only doing kitchen and common bathroom (budget limitation), and in the first phase of comparing IDs/contractors.

thanks ahead.

haha just started again

did you use this nick all the time mutton?

haha

yeah mostly this nick, but i can't remem if i used it in BCS...quit liao, no time to look after with kids ard