Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zhiz

Lessons From The Id Selection Process

eg. Me .. not yet sign but going through the process =) :P

hahaha ok ok good luck.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi can you pm me your id contact.

Hi all

Just thought I would share my ID selection process, which is probably like everyone else.

Come to renotalk, read all the thread, see nice pics or comments and then get the ID contact through pm and meet up with ID. Meet one not enough, meet more and more and more. Tire out cos talk so much and long each time. Realise all quotes the same. This item more ex, that item more ex. Basically cancel out. Also its all undiscounted pricing.

I went through this and because I had time to spare, i give up and stop totally.

2 month later, I visit a friend new renovated home. They went through the same process and was so tired they just choose the last one which was the cheapest. Turn out very jialat, they had to keep reminding the ID to do the retifications etc. They told me they would rather just had paid the normal market price to have a peace of mind rather than doing the chasing all the time. Even had to draw out time schedule for the ID.

Then one week later visit another friend house. Her experience totally different. Totally relaxed and happy and everytime they visited their place, it was a pleasant feeling or something more that was done. Any problems were surely rectified. ID go house to check daily to ensure all is ok. They totally trusted their ID as well because she was reliable. Handover on schedule as well. She only recommended to me after her reno was completed to ensure that whoever she recommended was truely recommendable.

So after the months of meeting different ID etc, I just decided to go for my friend ID without much consideration or even quote comparison.

Next week is my reno. The past few weeks experiences has been good, through design concept, the tiles selection, site visit.

I guess no matter how many ID we meet, we will now know how good, reliable, meticulous an ID is unless its a direct referral from a friend. Because you cannot really find out all about this until after you sign on the dotted line.

So its impt to have good friends that recommend you only good ID that they have experienced with.

ps: its quite interesting to meet a few ID to get ideas and roughly understand the process and things to consider. but dun be addicted to it as you will burn out.

Your experience probably totally similar to mine!

Being able to trust the ID and having a hassle free experience is very impt to me. And of course not overpaying for the service rendered. So I can roughly know from my fren where and when i can try to bargain and get discounts cos can compare! ;)

Hi Zhiz,

Can you pm me your ID? I just bought a EM at Yishun, plan to do reno on July. Thanks

Hi Zhiz

Let's continue our chat here :)

Agree tt's its a tedious process to get the right ID at the right price.

It's like finding husband or wife :P

Must be able to click together, have give-and-take, communicate well.

So far I have met up with one ID and one 'Project Manager' (I'm not sure if he's ID or contractor or what).

What I like about the ID is that she really listened to my ideas and remember them. That shows she is willing to be flexible and

incorporate client's ideas and try to make them work. Some IDs insist that their design is their best. Your idea cannot work or its not nice. They've been in the business for so long, they know what works. That kind of attitude really turns me off.

The 'Project Manager' turned me off because he was trying to pressure me, by saying his best price only valid for that day.

If I cfm some other time, it will be different price. I hate that type of tactic. It's not as if he's giving me BIG discount, just measly $500.

A good and honest ID will let you take your time to decide, cuz this is a big investment, and you have to literally live with it for the rest of your life (or until you get a good price for your house :D)

Hi Zhiz

Let's continue our chat here :)

Agree tt's its a tedious process to get the right ID at the right price.

It's like finding husband or wife :P

Must be able to click together, have give-and-take, communicate well.

So far I have met up with one ID and one 'Project Manager' (I'm not sure if he's ID or contractor or what).

What I like about the ID is that she really listened to my ideas and remember them. That shows she is willing to be flexible and

incorporate client's ideas and try to make them work. Some IDs insist that their design is their best. Your idea cannot work or its not nice. They've been in the business for so long, they know what works. That kind of attitude really turns me off.

The 'Project Manager' turned me off because he was trying to pressure me, by saying his best price only valid for that day.

If I cfm some other time, it will be different price. I hate that type of tactic. It's not as if he's giving me BIG discount, just measly $500.

A good and honest ID will let you take your time to decide, cuz this is a big investment, and you have to literally live with it for the rest of your life (or until you get a good price for your house :D)

yes i saw your post and i am quite surprised by that sales tactic. really a turn off :)

yes its like finding husband or wife. even if you found one, after signing on the dotted line, the night mare begins hahah

Got a question here that I'd like to hear some comments on.

Say you've requested a total of 10 initial quotes from various IDs and contractors of similar pricing. Before you guys start to narrow down to a few, do you guys meet up with each and everyone of them for a chat and listen to their proposals?

Say you've narrowed down to 3. Would you ask all 3 of them to go onsite for measurements? I'd imagine having all 3 onsite for measurements would probably give me a better finalized quote.

Would you start to ask for discounts on the 3 finalized quotes at this point? Once the 3 chosen ones come back with their finalized discounted quotes/offer, only then would you choose the one?

Hope someone could advise from experience :D

Edited by hcbing

Say you've requested a total of 10 initial quotes from various IDs and contractors of similar pricing. Before you guys start to narrow down to a few, do you guys meet up with each and everyone of them for a chat and listen to their proposals?

Say you've narrowed down to 3. Would you ask all 3 of them to go onsite for measurements? I'd imagine having all 3 onsite for measurements would probably give me a better finalized quote.

Would you start to ask for discounts on the 3 finalized quotes at this point? Once the 3 chosen ones come back with their finalized discounted quotes/offer, only then would you choose the one?

This is my views, hope it help

1. Yes, I would meet up with all those that I have asked for quotes. However, the way I had approach reno was that I insist to meet them before a quote is being obtained, thus I said I met all that provide quotes. Although, not all IDs did provide quotes after we meet and I would not chase them for it as well...:)

2. On-site. Yes. So far, the most I have narrowed down is 2 and both I have asked them to come down and do on-site. Some IDs I met actually prefer to provide quotes only after they did an onsite. So I let them....:)

3. Personally when we are at that stage, we already had decided on the ID. More often than not, when a final call is to be made, it is normally done with the design u like and pricing from others does not matter anymore. So I would choose the ID, and then attempt to bring down the price, concentrating my effort on one ID....:)

IMHO only

You will tire out quickly after meeting a few of them and most likely you will have 1 or 2 that you liked more and would like to proceed further. It really takes a lot of energy, time and effort. You can get as many as possible for quotes and onsite measurement but its unlikely you will do too many times.

I met up with all the IDs to tell them my requirements so that they can quote for the same things. If not, it is difficult to compare the quotes.

I was inexperienced in renovation when I first started talking to IDs and I invited some of them to go down to the house I bought, which was then still ocupied by the owners, to take measurements. In the end, the two who went both did not get the deal, so I felt quite bad about it. Not to mention I also caused some inconvenience to the owners. So unless the ID request to take measurements first I won't suggest that.

Since you say all the ten quotes are of similar pricing, I agree with wcseow that the main factor should be the designs proposed by the IDs, and may be the reputation of the companies. However, in my case, I was 'luckier' in the sense that among all the IDs whom I have met, the one I picked in the end has the best reputation, cheapest quote, and the best proposed layout. So it was an easy decision.

i have gotten quotations from many companies. i notice all the pricings are about similar. IMO the decisive factors should be based on

1) the reputation and location of the company. reputation can select from HDB and RADAC list

2) location and where your ID stays is also important. for easy travel and communication between the 2 of you

3) the other factor will be the workmanship. request to visit on site one of his projects. i visited one house and found the chimney hood slanted and the bifold door screeching

4) lastly could be the after sales warranty. my selected gave me 1 year. i requested for 3 years

I met up with all the IDs to tell them my requirements so that they can quote for the same things. If not, it is difficult to compare the quotes.

I was inexperienced in renovation when I first started talking to IDs and I invited some of them to go down to the house I bought, which was then still ocupied by the owners, to take measurements. In the end, the two who went both did not get the deal, so I felt quite bad about it. Not to mention I also caused some inconvenience to the owners. So unless the ID request to take measurements first I won't suggest that.

yes actually it was coming to a point where the more id i met, the more bad i felt cos its taking their time up and i can only choose one in the end.

also not forgetting that some id will keep calling you to meet up again or asking your decision while you still in the process of shortlisting.