Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shamustan

1960 Intermediate Terrace - A&a, Reconstruction Or Rebuild Costs?

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a two storey inter terrace. The land is pretty small at 1795 sqft and the current built in is at around 2000 sqft.

I am looking to extend the back of both storeys to the set back line and add in a 3rd storey plus attic. So far, I have called up a contractor cum builder and his ball park quote for the reconstruction is between 700k to 800k. Is this price reasonable? I am looking at basic construction materials and simple design of the house.

I am at the stage where I have just gotten the original building plans from BCA. He told me that the fastest that he can start construction will be end March pending approval from URA and BCA. He will need 9-10 months to complete. Is this the normal timespan?

Can any kind souls enlighten me on these issues? I would appreciate with anyone has reliable builder's contact to share with me as I would like to get a comparison in quotation.

Thanks.

If u are BH of the yummy stewed pork... can u PM me in the other forum... We should talk.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a two storey inter terrace. The land is pretty small at 1795 sqft and the current built in is at around 2000 sqft.

I am looking to extend the back of both storeys to the set back line and add in a 3rd storey plus attic. So far, I have called up a contractor cum builder and his ball park quote for the reconstruction is between 700k to 800k. Is this price reasonable? I am looking at basic construction materials and simple design of the house.

I am at the stage where I have just gotten the original building plans from BCA. He told me that the fastest that he can start construction will be end March pending approval from URA and BCA. He will need 9-10 months to complete. Is this the normal timespan?

Can any kind souls enlighten me on these issues? I would appreciate with anyone has reliable builder's contact to share with me as I would like to get a comparison in quotation.

Thanks.

Sound excessive if it's just an extension. Sounds more reasonable if it's a complete rebuild/reconstruction. Better get a few more quotes.

Sound excessive if it's just an extension. Sounds more reasonable if it's a complete rebuild/reconstruction. Better get a few more quotes.

Wow. Thanks for the reply. Looks like I am being chop.

I spoke to him again and he is willing to bring down to 650k.

This includes extension of first 2 storeys at the back, add a 3rd storey , an attic and roof garden. The total built in area is around 3850 sqft. The material used will be mostly low end stuff like homogeneous tiles and compressed marble. Facade will be simple.

The additional costs will be:

1) architecture fee plus PE - $ 25000

2) topo map -$2000

3) if needed, pilling ranges from 50k to 80k( micro pilling)

4) carpentry work

5) all permits involved

Timeline wise, it will be completed by next year April if we start the planning process now.

Wow. Thanks for the reply. Looks like I am being chop.

I spoke to him again and he is willing to bring down to 650k.

This includes extension of first 2 storeys at the back, add a 3rd storey , an attic and roof garden. The total built in area is around 3850 sqft. The material used will be mostly low end stuff like homogeneous tiles and compressed marble. Facade will be simple.

The additional costs will be:

1) architecture fee plus PE - $ 25000

2) topo map -$2000

3) if needed, pilling ranges from 50k to 80k( micro pilling)

4) carpentry work

5) all permits involved

Timeline wise, it will be completed by next year April if we start the planning process now.

Sounds like you are really doing a significant rebuild rather than keeping the existing building and just extending part of the house. In that case, the amount seems a bit closer to market rate. Many on this forum would advise that given the large amount of spend here, you should talk to a few builders etc so you get a better gauge.

You should also think about which approach you want to take with this new project. Some of us use a lead architect who does the design and then tenders out to builders to quote. Others use a builder who designs and builds the whole things, ie one stop shop. Each approach has it's pros and cons.

Hi everyone,

Thanks.

1) 700-800k looks expensive might as well do a entire erection and extend all the way backwards forward upwards. This price should include micropiling and at least marble without lift. Unless price increase within these few months? But quite impossible

2) 9-10months is pretty normal but give extra 2months for submission in case there are some rejections and you need to resubmit (eg. in my case i wasted a about 2months)

3) look through my previous reply. Think i'm very detail in the breakdown already though i didn't post the entire quote online (which is impossible...how to post man..don't need to sleep already like that)

Sounds like you are really doing a significant rebuild rather than keeping the existing building and just extending part of the house.

Actually what's the difference between rebuild vs reconstruction? Different terms but same meaning?

In my case, the submission was reconstruction. I tore down everything except for staircase, pillar that supports balcony so that i could escape the requirement for bomb shelter and maintaining the current front setback of the house which is 6m (new requirements 7m).

Everything else is pretty much gone.

Sounds like you are really doing a significant rebuild rather than keeping the existing building and just extending part of the house. In that case, the amount seems a bit closer to market rate. Many on this forum would advise that given the large amount of spend here, you should talk to a few builders etc so you get a better gauge.

You should also think about which approach you want to take with this new project. Some of us use a lead architect who does the design and then tenders out to builders to quote. Others use a builder who designs and builds the whole things, ie one stop shop. Each approach has it's pros and cons.

Can you kindly PM me the contacts of a reliable builder? Many thanks. I will be taking the one stop shop approach after reading about both approaches.

I am in the process of negotiating with them about sourcing my own tiles and vanity fittings, they will supply labour to install them. They are quite reluctant to agree with this though. I guess its due to the loss of profit margin.

Actually what's the difference between rebuild vs reconstruction? Different terms but same meaning?

In my case, the submission was reconstruction. I tore down everything except for staircase, pillar that supports balcony so that i could escape the requirement for bomb shelter and maintaining the current front setback of the house which is 6m (new requirements 7m).

Everything else is pretty much gone.

According to URA, rebuild means that you tear down everything including front walls, all support pillars and staircase.

Similar to you, my current front set back is 5m, so I will not touch it. The back will be extended to the 2m set back line. I am looking to shift the staircase, but my builder says that reconstruction do not allow the shifting staircase. Can any experts shed light on this?

By the way, can you kindly PM me the contact of your builder? Many thanks.

Edited by bargainhunter

According to URA, rebuild means that you tear down everything including front walls, all support pillars and staircase.

Similar to you, my current front set back is 5m, so I will not touch it. The back will be extended to the 2m set back line. I am looking to shift the staircase, but my builder says that reconstruction do not allow the shifting staircase. Can any experts shed light on this?

I don't think that there is any rules in reconstruction to stop you from shifting your staircase. You can send URA an email to enquire to be doubly sure.

Not true, as I changed my staircase position. Get architect to advise.

Hi, we are currently doing a reconstruction of our dream house at the moment, land of 1800sqft and future buildup will be 3200sqft. Our total cost for the reconstruction is slightly more than 300k, thanks very much to our builder, he is a small time builder but very experience. Also we managed to keep cost down by sourcing for our marbles and sanitary wears at warehouse sale. Can u imagine getting italy marbles at $3psf? That 300k included PE and architect costs, and all necessary permits and approvals. We can intro our builder and architect to u if u are interested, but u have to know what u want. Cheers

Hi Victor,

Would apprec. if u could provide the contacts of yr builder n architect cos' intending to reconstruct my intermediate with a very tight budget... :(

Just wondering if anyone out there met so many contractors (at least 9contractors + 2architect) and still can't find one that is close to his/her budget and decided to give up, rent the property out and then decide to renovate your house few years later. Meanwhile, just do basic things like painting etc and rent the place out..makes more sense?

Suddenly felt so tired and forgot the reason why i even got my place which is IMO unfit to live within my own standards and renovation cost is so high. If i were to rent my unit out for 3yr @ 3k/month (4bedroom 2bathroom interterrace) would i have enough to build 3storey? ie very young couple with not much budget to to reno and skin too thin to ask for extra funds..seems so much easier to be a parasite living with parents

Hi Pantieleen,

I'm in the same dilemma as u once had..ie"suddenly felt so tired n forgot the reason why i even got my place which is......." Have not decide whether to use Architect or just a builder to reconstruct my 1500sft intermediate.. But we are very sure of the design we want and with a tight budget of 600k in total (include carpentry etc) I'm not sure whether we could even achieve anything????!!!!! Any kind soul out there could enlighten us??? :(

Hi Pantieleen,

I'm in the same dilemma as u once had..ie"suddenly felt so tired n forgot the reason why i even got my place which is......." Have not decide whether to use Architect or just a builder to reconstruct my 1500sft intermediate.. But we are very sure of the design we want and with a tight budget of 600k in total (include carpentry etc) I'm not sure whether we could even achieve anything????!!!!! Any kind soul out there could enlighten us??? :(

600k budget can do wonders! Can pay for reno for my house + wedding + Audi A4 that is if i make sure my guests give me at least $200 angbao per head!

600k budget can do wonders! Can pay for reno for my house + wedding + Audi A4 that is if i make sure my guests give me at least $200 angbao per head!

But I thought u spent 418k and more on yr recontruction??? I only have 600k to build basment + 2.5storey intermediate..... Buay gao leh..... :bangwall: So need yr advice how to save cost...eg. Get engineer to double up as architect or one builder for all .... :dunno: Perhaps u could pm me yr contacts.....Pls :help: