Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mix361001

Mirror On Wall Next To Dining Table

In Singapore homes, it's not new that ppl have mirrors in their living room and/or dining area. However, from fengshui perspective, heard a no-no to have mirrors in these places (living room or dining area).

I'm actually very interested to have mirror @dining area.

Anybody here know true or not?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
In Singapore homes, it's not new that ppl have mirrors in their living room and/or dining area. However, from fengshui perspective, heard a no-no to have mirrors in these places (living room or dining area).

Hi,

I am not a FSM, just someone who has been reading up on this subject through books.

According to Lilian Too and Joey Yap's FS books, its good to have mirrors only in the dining room.

This symbolises a dining table full of spread, much to eat etc.

Its a no-no to have mirrors in the rooms, especially MBR though.

HTHs!

i only heard of no mirrors in kitchen.. never hear of no mirror in dining room

Reading from fengshui books, think it is good to reflect on food to " double it up ".

And if place in living room, " double up " the joys and laughter of the family time together infront of TV.

But i suppose if a family always quarrel, it may also double up also ?

So for us for new flat, I choose to put it reflecting food in dining room.

However do make sure the angle u put do not face the kitchen entrance. Read somewhere that says that has the effect of doubling " fire " ... dunno how true though.

Reading from fengshui books, think it is good to reflect on food to " double it up ".

And if place in living room, " double up " the joys and laughter of the family time together infront of TV.

But i suppose if a family always quarrel, it may also double up also ?

So for us for new flat, I choose to put it reflecting food in dining room.

However do make sure the angle u put do not face the kitchen entrance. Read somewhere that says that has the effect of doubling " fire " ... dunno how true though.

Pls be cautious when u put mirrors around the dining area. Don't reflect the wrong things, sharp arrow etc and it can be serious.

Pls be cautious when u put mirrors around the dining area. Don't reflect the wrong things, sharp arrow etc and it can be serious.

All the "crazy" "hears & says". Use your brain (think/knowledge & reasoning), science(physical proof/experience), past experience/encounter, psychological effect, social norm(society pressure)etc, while making judgement/decisions. When ppl ask me if I consult FSM, I always told them I am a "FSM".

I have a 12 ft long (8 ft center, 2 ft left & 2 ft right (black & clear)) by 6ft tall mirror at my dining place. Not intend to "double" food, but to make envirnment brighter since I found dinning are ia relativel dimmed first when I viewed (resale) the unit. I hacked half the wall & put a transparent 10mm tempered glass next to it, wanted to have more light from the kitchen. I can see my eating manner also. I used that mirror, sometime adjust clothing, comb hair, and practice my speech!

- My previous unit had a 8ft x 6 ft mirror at hall, looked bright & spacious, why not?

- "Arrows" could be any "angles" whether from walls or capentries. These are unavoidable, try to minimise as these could pose potentail danger to physical body, especially the young ones.

- PPl asked me why I have the 1.8 m dinning table - simple reason -"heavy & stable enough", so soup in bowl will not spill off when accidentally hit the table. Spacious table make eater feel comfortable, eat "slow slow" and communicate to each other! This is important, nowadays.

- I have a L-shaped walk-in wardrobe in MBR, segregate the bed set from the tiolet. Not believing "foul smell from tiolet- no good to body theory" theory, but due to space contraint.

- I insisted to stay above 20 floor. Now in 23 floor, can view mountains & water.

- I'm particular in air-flow because S'pore's climate is such that: sept-feb: N+NE wind, mar-aug: S+SE wind: ensure having window (one end opp the other end) face these directions, so natural air ventilate within house & feel "shiok".

All the "crazy" "hears & says". Use your brain (think/knowledge & reasoning), science(physical proof/experience), past experience/encounter, psychological effect, social norm(society pressure)etc, while making judgement/decisions. When ppl ask me if I consult FSM, I always told them I am a "FSM".

I have a 12 ft long (8 ft center, 2 ft left & 2 ft right (black & clear)) by 6ft tall mirror at my dining place. Not intend to "double" food, but to make envirnment brighter since I found dinning are ia relativel dimmed first when I viewed (resale) the unit. I hacked half the wall & put a transparent 10mm tempered glass next to it, wanted to have more light from the kitchen. I can see my eating manner also. I used that mirror, sometime adjust clothing, comb hair, and practice my speech!

- My previous unit had a 8ft x 6 ft mirror at hall, looked bright & spacious, why not?

- "Arrows" could be any "angles" whether from walls or capentries. These are unavoidable, try to minimise as these could pose potentail danger to physical body, especially the young ones.

- PPl asked me why I have the 1.8 m dinning table - simple reason -"heavy & stable enough", so soup in bowl will not spill off when accidentally hit the table. Spacious table make eater feel comfortable, eat "slow slow" and communicate to each other! This is important, nowadays.

- I have a L-shaped walk-in wardrobe in MBR, segregate the bed set from the tiolet. Not believing "foul smell from tiolet- no good to body theory" theory, but due to space contraint.

- I insisted to stay above 20 floor. Now in 23 floor, can view mountains & water.

- I'm particular in air-flow because S'pore's climate is such that: sept-feb: N+NE wind, mar-aug: S+SE wind: ensure having window (one end opp the other end) face these directions, so natural air ventilate within house & feel "shiok".

Very good and valid points :yamseng:

Very good and valid points :yamseng:

Once I was in Vietnam for business, alone. Midnight suddenly sat up from bed and saw "someone" in the mirror, opposite the bedhead, wow, scared to almost to death.

Never never put mirror (dressing table, etc) directly oppsite or oppsite side of bedhead.

Edited by bepgof

Once I was in Vietnam for business, alone. Midnight suddenly sat up from bed and saw "someone" in the mirror, opposite the bedhead, wow, scared to almost to death.

Never never put mirror (dressing table, etc) directly oppsite or oppsite side of bedhead.

gosh !

in my current 4 room we dont even have a full length mirror. because not sure where to put so the only place u will find mirrors are in the toilet.

in upcoming 5 room, intending to put in dining room. however now checking the costs .. may change mind... too ex. hahaha.

i would think majority would choose to put mirror to make the room look bigger, and for us ladies, i hope to ck my dressing before i go out.

though only cos of fengshui... so also have to be careful the exact placement location... quite mafan eh.... now colleague tell me if u get the cheap ikea kind and it falls down latter.... suay 7 yrs ! really let me think twice now lolz.

If you already have a mirror next to your dining table, is it alright to put a long console table in front of this mirror?

This is my 12ft mirror next to dinning table which I mentioned in earlier post. Left side is under repair(surface uneven). Second picture: RHS is the 10mm thick tempered glass allow more light from kitchen to dinning area.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5663/dscn0727.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2746/dscn0738h.jpg

So long as no obstruction to ppl/chair movement, why not?

Edited by bepgof

This is my 12ft mirror next to dinning table which I mentioned in earlier post. Left side is under repair(surface uneven). Second picture: RHS is the 10mm thick tempered glass allow more light from kitchen to dinning area.

I notice that yours is half height mirrors. Why not the entire wall? It looks grander.

And is putting a console table in front of the mirror still ok? Wouldn't it block the effect that a person wants to achieve?

gosh !

in my current 4 room we dont even have a full length mirror. because not sure where to put so the only place u will find mirrors are in the toilet.

in upcoming 5 room, intending to put in dining room. however now checking the costs .. may change mind... too ex. hahaha.

i would think majority would choose to put mirror to make the room look bigger, and for us ladies, i hope to ck my dressing before i go out.

though only cos of fengshui... so also have to be careful the exact placement location... quite mafan eh.... now colleague tell me if u get the cheap ikea kind and it falls down latter.... suay 7 yrs ! really let me think twice now lolz.

Experience has taught me to be extra careful as to material put up in tiolet cos of the moisture:

- No wood stuff

- Mirror, watch out for mercury paste along edges corruprion with water moisture. Best use stainless steel mirror.

- I insisted use all stainless steel (A402) screws & bolts.

- As less drillings as possible.

- Top-hung sliding glass door, no upvc one-piece or folding door.

Edited by bepgof

I notice that yours is half height mirrors. Why not the entire wall? It looks grander.

And is putting a console table in front of the mirror still ok? Wouldn't it block the effect that a person wants to achieve?

Cos the table is blocking the bottom half, losses its functionality. If no blockage, I would've put a full height mirror, may be with a horizontal rail, can practise some dance step haha....

Management theory realised me: use right tool for right thing, do right thing first instead of do thing right later, maximise the usage of thing (24hr on use if possible)......

To be blunt, blocking the mirror might as well don't have it in the first place, it is LPPL. I would rather to tackle the cause than to modify the effect, if within my reach, 30% & 70% theory applies.

Edited by bepgof

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5663/dscn0727.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2746/dscn0738h.jpg

my house is now doing renovation,

i plan to put a full height mirror on my dining area too (8ft height x 6ft width),

(see the photo) http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/j...91020101285.jpg

i'll will paint the wall to white color, and put a full height mirror between the two airconds...

and the 6 feet dining table is infront of the mirror.

(full album) http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/j...n%20Renovation/

:paint: any suggestions?