Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ah Keong

Budget Airlines

Me too..had a good experience with Jetstar. Abit cramped thou as my hb is quite tall but overall ok leh. I tink the most impt thing is the seats allocation loh. Juz check in earlier & they will even ask u if u wan emergency seats boh, lol. But i've nv tried Tiger or Air as most frens say Jetstar more comfy...but its mainly cos i wana shop at T1 :dancingqueen:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Me just travelled by Tiger Airways to Krabi in August...not bad...seats ok, bt gotta to purchase own food and beverage up there and no outside food and drinks la...

I wld say smaller than the normal economic class la...not recommended for big size ppl...other than tat I would say no complains for short distance and for the price I paid for....

Hmm...maybe I am consider more cheapo :furious:

But I have been travelling budget airlines for the last few years. Apart for 1 bad experience with Air Asia, the rest of my fights with Tiger Airways have been pretty smooth.

I have travelled on Tiger to Bangkok (many times), Phuket, Hanoi (twice) and even Perth. I enjoy the cheap cost! But the key is to plan ahead. If you want to travel in the next month or so, than it might be too late.

Budget airlines culture is to plan at least 3-6months ahead, which is tough for some professions. And also, you have to decide fast when there is a promo or else it will be taken up.

So far I believe I always paid less than 50% of what a full flight airlines would have cost me, some I save even more (much more). For a family of 4, this is significant savings that I can use for the trip itself, rather than on the flight.

But it is true that you get what you pay. If you want the luxury of full flight airlines at budget airlines, you will NOT get it. You have to pay for food, inflight entertainment, seat selections. You will not have unlimited drinks on board, no newspaper, no blanket sometimes, smaller planes, only 3 toilets, less air stewardess. If these is what you want, stick to full flight.

For me, I do not need these, if I need the selected items, I will pay for it. It is still much (much) cheaper. Some says the 'stupid' cup noodle cost a few dollars on the budget flight, as if the 'free' meal on the full flight is really free. I usually order my hot meals as soon as I board the flight because they are in demand. Just an example, a promo full flight to Perth including tax will cost me at least $700 (assuming tax at $320-350). I paid less than $350 including tax (at $280) and seat selections (and maybe even include those foods I purchase on board) on a budget airlines. So that is a HUGE savings.

With the Perth flight, they added inflight entertainment at US$8 (or was it US$12?). If you think that is expensive, think again. If you are one of those who DON'T watch in flight entertainment, you are subsidizing the cost for someone else. At least now I got a choice. And I see people who bring their own portable DVD player, which I think is perfectly fine too.

My next year end holiday (if any, on a budget, even if it is budger air) will most likely be on budget air again, most likely Tiger. Not because I am a loyalist, just so far have had good experiences with them.

p/s: super cheap tix usually comes with lots of restrictions, so unless you can live with those restrictions, don't purchase them and complain later. :(

Sorry if I sound atas, but my grip with budget airlines are the passengers.

Took Tiger airline to Hatyai once, at that time where was no seating arrangements, it was at budget terminal where there is no link bridge; you have to walk to the plane. There was a queue, but if you are expecting the usual "old folks, children and women with infants to board first", dream on. That short distance from the gate to the plane was like 100m sprint at a school's sports day; the scramble to climb up the stairs was akin a scene out of 'resident evil' where the people are trying to get out of the infected city.

As I got on the flight, I was greeted by uncles and aunties who sat at the corner seats of the aisle, pretending to be busy and not allowing anyone to sit in the same row that they had 'chope' for their own friends/relatives. I had to resist myself from saying, "but you also never put tissue packs there what!"

Throughout the flight, the plane was buzzing with activities; babies crying, aunties/uncles 'wow-ing' as they look out of the windows, potato chips crunching, flight attendants was struggling to explain why its necessary for the passengers to be seated and fasten their seat belt. This is a time when you wish you had brought along your SAF-issued ear plugs.

When the time finally came to disembark, I heaved a sigh of relief as I thought my woes were over. I was wrong. As I stood up to take down the baggages from the overhead carriages, a middle-aged man rushed from behind and tried to squeeze pass me to the not-yet-opened door. When he realised that his efforts were in vain, he greeted me with, "Ch**bye, stand down there block people for f**k!". I managed to fight my urge to become the first air-rage passenger on a budget airline, probably also because my parents and old relatives were onboard and I am shy to let them share this glory.

Walking down the link bridge looking forward to my holiday and smiling at the nice thai officers who were showing us the way, suddenly I saw my mum being thrown forward by a huge shove from behind. It was middle-aged man again, screaming "SIAM AHH!!" as he rushed off, seemingly chased by an invisible bull from behind.

I did not know what happened thereafter, but the next thing I knew was my wife and dad were struggling to hold my arms and the middle-aged uncle being held back by his kakis, with a reddish patch on his left eye.

I swear never to go for budget airline ever again. :bath:

My first budget airline trip was with TigerAir when they first started and I remembered my tix to Bangkok including tax was just a mere $85! Since then, I have been flying budget air often, usually taking advantage of the promo prices. So far, both Tiger and Jetstar flights I find alright. I do agree the legroom might not be bearable for some tall people.

I had taken other airlines such as ThaiAir, SQ etc. and the cheaper price do come at a cost. But the other airlines' experience has not leave me any fantastic experience either.

My first budget airline trip was with TigerAir when they first started and I remembered my tix to Bangkok including tax was just a mere $85! Since then, I have been flying budget air often, usually taking advantage of the promo prices. So far, both Tiger and Jetstar flights I find alright. I do agree the legroom might not be bearable for some tall people.

I had taken other airlines such as ThaiAir, SQ etc. and the cheaper price do come at a cost. But the other airlines' experience has not leave me any fantastic experience either.

Yeah, I am always on the lookout and trying to plan early. As for leg room, it is actually as good as the old days economy for full service flights, of coz those have improved over the years. Imagine the $$$ we paid those days for this type of leg rooms!

Took Tiger airline to Hatyai once, at that time where was no seating arrangements, it was at budget terminal where there is no link bridge; you have to walk to the plane. There was a queue, but if you are expecting the usual "old folks, children and women with infants to board first", dream on. That short distance from the gate to the plane was like 100m sprint at a school's sports day; the scramble to climb up the stairs was akin a scene out of 'resident evil' where the people are trying to get out of the infected city.

As I got on the flight, I was greeted by uncles and aunties who sat at the corner seats of the aisle, pretending to be busy and not allowing anyone to sit in the same row that they had 'chope' for their own friends/relatives. I had to resist myself from saying, "but you also never put tissue packs there what!"

Throughout the flight, the plane was buzzing with activities; babies crying, aunties/uncles 'wow-ing' as they look out of the windows, potato chips crunching, flight attendants was struggling to explain why its necessary for the passengers to be seated and fasten their seat belt. This is a time when you wish you had brought along your SAF-issued ear plugs.

When the time finally came to disembark, I heaved a sigh of relief as I thought my woes were over. I was wrong. As I stood up to take down the baggages from the overhead carriages, a middle-aged man rushed from behind and tried to squeeze pass me to the not-yet-opened door. When he realised that his efforts were in vain, he greeted me with, "Ch**bye, stand down there block people for f**k!". I managed to fight my urge to become the first air-rage passenger on a budget airline, probably also because my parents and old relatives were onboard and I am shy to let them share this glory.

Walking down the link bridge looking forward to my holiday and smiling at the nice thai officers who were showing us the way, suddenly I saw my mum being thrown forward by a huge shove from behind. It was middle-aged man again, screaming "SIAM AHH!!" as he rushed off, seemingly chased by an invisible bull from behind.

I did not know what happened thereafter, but the next thing I knew was my wife and dad were struggling to hold my arms and the middle-aged uncle being held back by his kakis, with a reddish patch on his left eye.

I swear never to go for budget airline ever again. :wub:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience but I do experience many of those things mentioned in full service flights too. So guess it depends on who are the passengers at that point of time. But it's all a personal preference. :notti:

i've only taken budget air to bangkok, and tiger didn't give me a good experience

so jetstar seem to be the de facto choice

other than that, i'd rather pay full price to any other destinations coz of the longer hours spent on the plane

leg room is a big factor for me since i've got to sit upright all the way, with my knees pushing against the front seat

it's still not so bad for 2 hours, but i think my back will break for any flight longer :wub:

i've only taken budget air to bangkok, and tiger didn't give me a good experience

so jetstar seem to be the de facto choice

other than that, i'd rather pay full price to any other destinations coz of the longer hours spent on the plane

leg room is a big factor for me since i've got to sit upright all the way, with my knees pushing against the front seat

it's still not so bad for 2 hours, but i think my back will break for any flight longer :unsure:

Which is why budget air dun fly to anywhere more than 5 hours. Heehee...but AirAsiaX just launch a flight from KL to Gold Coast...is that a start of a new trend?

For the Perth flight I paid extra for the 1st row seat so got better leg room, else I think I will also suffer. Haha...

don't think i can take it for any flights for more than 2hrs

will be going to guangzhou soon but DEFINITELY will not take tiger

i'd rather pay for SQ to be comfortable during the 4hrs :unsure:

Hi,

I have taken budget a few times, think they are quite ok for the price you pay (sometimes with promotion, it gets really cheap). :dribble:

Tiger I took to BKK and Macau before. Buying drinks & food is not a problem for me cos' I don't mind not eating for short haul trips. Leg space still sufficient for me cos' I petite size..haha. But I don't like the no seating arrangment thingy cos' being Singaporeans...everybody rush to queue once the "boarding" sign flashes...I think it is quite traumatic having to sprint for a nice seat!

Jetstar the difference is they have arranged seating so I don't need to go through the hassle of making a dash to the plane for a nice seat...and I like dat...

Last time took Valuair to BKK before too...quite good experience.

Overall...I think the professionalism of the pilots and air crew is still acceptable. The landing part was as smooth as a bigger plane like SQ and that is what matters to me most...(can never compare with the terrible landing experience I had on domestic flights in china!)

I will still take budget airlines for short haul flights....the money saved can go to shopping and eating at my holiday destination!! Haha. :jawdrop:

Tiger I took to BKK and Macau before. Buying drinks & food is not a problem for me cos' I don't mind not eating for short haul trips. Leg space still sufficient for me cos' I petite size..haha. But I don't like the no seating arrangment thingy cos' being Singaporeans...everybody rush to queue once the "boarding" sign flashes...I think it is quite traumatic having to sprint for a nice seat!

In case you didn't realise, Tiger got assign seating since last year !!

I swear never to go for budget airline ever again. :P

so sorry to hear of your bad experience.

so far i had travelled in all budget airlines, always booking last min for flight to nearby countries for work. and so far experience had been gd and really helped to cut down costs of flights.

but i do agree that such budget flights, you will encounter ppl factor. most of it is due to passengers, and especially asians who are kiasu, kiasi, kia lose face.

there was once there were a group of china passengers and they really WOW and TALK ULTRA LOUD!:notti:

and until the flight stewardess ask them to tone down. and there are some who hog the toilets even! some even take the tissue, moisturers, etc. in the toilet. haiz... really make us lose face :)

for for longer flight, i would suggest flying by SQ. more reliable and comfy though more ex. reliable means SQ has a gd reputation in maintaining a young fleet, ie. changing of airplanes every few years. although nothing is 100% guarantee, we still have a feel of security, reliability and a sense of gd safety when flying SQ. Moreover, we Singaporeans should support our national carrier. :yamseng::bleah:

took Jetstar before.

Not bad.

Only thing i don't like is the space really small. Even for a very petite person like me, not enough room to move about.

and the fact that got to buy their food... can't even eat my own food or drink from my own water bottle.

Luckily, i'm almost a camel usually. LOL