Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rawmeat

Agent Cheated Me....

Recently confirmed the purchase of my resale flat.

I've viewed it and based on the floor plans, the current owner did a lot of modifications - 1rm less after hacking down the walls/doors, larger master bedroom, expanded bathroom, etc...

I love the location and told the agent that if the flat was sold as the original floorplan (i have the floorplan as my relative stay a few storey above), i'll definitely buy. And I personally showed him which walls were affected, etc...

the agent told me that everything will be based on floorplan when i take over and assured me that under HDB ruling, the owner will have to renovate the flat back to the floorplan configuration before selling.

with that i decided to buy and asked for that to be included inside the OTP form when exercising but agent assured me that that wasn't required as owner has to do it and the agent himself will ensure that will happen.

when accepting the OTP, I asked if the owner is aware of that and the agent reassured me again and told me he'll ask me along when hdb's inspector comes knocking.

lord and behold, after inspection, the modifcations were all approved by hdb previously and the owner does not need to do anything.

the agent acted ignorant and claim that he misunderstood me as saying i wanted all illegal modification to be corrected. he said that this clause was already stated in the OTP that's why he didn't include it. I repeated word for word what he told me before I signed the OTP but he claimed that he did not make those statement.... and he i want floorplan conditions, i'll have to ask my contractor to do it.

I already paid $5000 to accept the option (again the agent did not tell me i don't have to pay the entire $5000 and simply told me the cost to exercise was $1000 and accept is another $4000).

I've been dumb and did not check the procedures before committing.

What can I do now? What options to I have? giving up the $5000 may incurr more loss (and I'm not sure if i've to compensate the owner anything) than having to pay my contractor to modify the flat's configuration. But I feel cheat if I pay my contractor myself.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

u had pay $5k which I believe u had exercise the OTP

Once exercise OTP, buyer and seller cannot back up. Either side can sue the other party.

pls provide more information on your agent so everyone can take note.

what u can do is to write off your $5000 and tell them u r not buying.

complaining about ur agent to his/her company is useless (IMHO)

the seller will have nothing to lose if u back out.

I don't think building a wall will cost more than what you paid for your deposit. So if you really like the place, consider building the wall instead.

Edited by Smallboy

I agree with smallboy...

Before you decide to give up, check the current price of the Unit there... I sure the price increase quite a bit already...

If you giv up, think the seller will be happy as they can sell it at higher price...

Besides, you may log complain to CASE and see if they can do anything with it...

Who's agent? Agent representing u or seller?

I can tell u r pissed, building the wall cost about a few hundreds dollars but just cannot swallow u been ripped off, cheated. Screwed up agent.

Cut the comms.

Who's agent? Agent representing u or seller?

I can tell u r pissed, building the wall cost about a few hundreds dollars but just cannot swallow u been ripped off, cheated. Screwed up agent.

Cut the comms.

as mentioned, i've been dumb earlier

i also signed the commission form as he assured me in everything i asked from him....

the walls will cost a bomb even though it's lesser than exercising my option.

i don't think case can do anything without proof... i've dealt successfully with case on several occasions and those were with documented proof.

it seems for this, everything is in the agent's favour.

there were 3 agents when i viewed.... 2 agents claimed to be representing the owner while one said he'll represent me solely and asked me to sign the comms form before i can proceed.. very confusing also... but all from the same established property firm.

i guess i've been successfully conned and all options is a losing one for me... which one for be the least damaging one?"? renovation and pay the few thousand additional myself?

Personally, I feel that the location, level of unit, view and price should suit your requirement, as these things cannot be changed. Renovations can be always be done as per budget and convenience. If you really like the flat, you should go ahead with the purchase and then renovate according to your choice.

But the agent should not be let off lightly for misrepresenting. As suggested by someone earlier, please post the name of the agent and agency, so that others are aware. You can also try informing the head of the agency. Though you may still have to accept the house as is, if the agency is ethical, they will take action against the agent.

as mentioned, i've been dumb earlier

i also signed the commission form as he assured me in everything i asked from him....

the walls will cost a bomb even though it's lesser than exercising my option.

i don't think case can do anything without proof... i've dealt successfully with case on several occasions and those were with documented proof.

it seems for this, everything is in the agent's favour.

there were 3 agents when i viewed.... 2 agents claimed to be representing the owner while one said he'll represent me solely and asked me to sign the comms form before i can proceed.. very confusing also... but all from the same established property firm.

i guess i've been successfully conned and all options is a losing one for me... which one for be the least damaging one?"? renovation and pay the few thousand additional myself?

Seek help from CASE and make complain to the company... As the comm == service fees... Nego with agent for lower comm....

Seek help from CASE and make complain to the company... As the comm == service fees... Nego with agent for lower comm....

will keep you guys updated....

i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post the names of agent here? can meh?

will keep you guys updated....

i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post the names of agent here? can meh?

bro....

i'm may face a similar problem soon but i've my grounds covered thanks to advice from my experienced brothers (I hope).

same thing lor, my agent promise everything before i buy when i told him about the difference in layout from other similar flats... but i paid the costs for options willingly as my price was good.

then he's started to give me politically correct statements now, that HDB will ensure, blah blah blah.... dare not say he will ensure owner settle those walls.

i made sure he sent me the floorplan by email (must be sent from his a/c to your a/c, and if the floorplan didn't mark the changes, you're in luck) and i made sure i emailed him what he has promised (you don't need his reply, he's your agent, he has a duty to read all your emails, if not, you can don't pay his commission for non-performance of the contract).

nevertheless, i believe a good designer is able to overcome these with minimal costs.

my agent is a cunning one, whom i love to spar with, as that's my daily job too... spar with difficult people to get things done.

To inject some fun into this thread...

Case 1:

Me: What's the HDB procedure to do XXX?

Agent: I think you have to go down to HDB personally.

Me: How could that be? Do you know the procedures?

Agent: *silence*... erm, you have to go down to HDB personnally.

Me: Do you or do you not know the procedures. If otherwise, I can always call HDB myself?

Agent: i think you must go down to HDB personally.

I called HDB, and the officer say please send us an email at xxxxx.com... 5mins later called back, hi, I've processed already. So agent was bull****ing me earlier as suspected

Case 2:

Agent: Why didn't you inform me this?

Me: How would I know, you're my agent, you're suppose to highlight all these to me! (Bearing in mind I asked him specifically anything to highlight before i signed)

Agent: You signed on the checklist!

Me: I signed but you are supposed to explain to me but you didn't!

Agent: I took it that you know since you're buying a flat!

Me: (WTF, if I want to waste time finding out all technical details, I might as well don't use agent. I pay for convenience) You asked me to sign before you explain, remember?

Agent: *silence*... so now you have to pay again because of "screwup".

Me: I'm not paying a single cent because it's your fault. If you've mentioned it, even if I don't know, I would have checked.. just a phonecall only.

Agent: argue argue argue....

Me: I'll call your boss... (which I did....... i.a.w. with the dispute resolution procedures before going to CASE as that would put your case across better as you've tried amicable means to resolve it)....

I did resolve the Case 1 &2 issues, but that issue similar to yours will pop out soon. I'm waiting for that to happen to spar with my cunning agent again.

what's the name of yr agent? or if you don't mind, can pm me? if it's the same guy, i've his boss' number...

bro....

i'm may face a similar problem soon but i've my grounds covered thanks to advice from my experienced brothers (I hope).

same thing lor, my agent promise everything before i buy when i told him about the difference in layout from other similar flats... but i paid the costs for options willingly as my price was good.

then he's started to give me politically correct statements now, that HDB will ensure, blah blah blah.... dare not say he will ensure owner settle those walls.

i made sure he sent me the floorplan by email (must be sent from his a/c to your a/c, and if the floorplan didn't mark the changes, you're in luck) and i made sure i emailed him what he has promised (you don't need his reply, he's your agent, he has a duty to read all your emails, if not, you can don't pay his commission for non-performance of the contract).

nevertheless, i believe a good designer is able to overcome these with minimal costs.

my agent is a cunning one, whom i love to spar with, as that's my daily job too... spar with difficult people to get things done.

To inject some fun into this thread...

Case 1:

Me: What's the HDB procedure to do XXX?

Agent: I think you have to go down to HDB personally.

Me: How could that be? Do you know the procedures?

Agent: *silence*... erm, you have to go down to HDB personnally.

Me: Do you or do you not know the procedures. If otherwise, I can always call HDB myself?

Agent: i think you must go down to HDB personally.

I called HDB, and the officer say please send us an email at xxxxx.com... 5mins later called back, hi, I've processed already. So agent was bull****ing me earlier as suspected

Case 2:

Agent: Why didn't you inform me this?

Me: How would I know, you're my agent, you're suppose to highlight all these to me! (Bearing in mind I asked him specifically anything to highlight before i signed)

Agent: You signed on the checklist!

Me: I signed but you are supposed to explain to me but you didn't!

Agent: I took it that you know since you're buying a flat!

Me: (WTF, if I want to waste time finding out all technical details, I might as well don't use agent. I pay for convenience) You asked me to sign before you explain, remember?

Agent: *silence*... so now you have to pay again because of "screwup".

Me: I'm not paying a single cent because it's your fault. If you've mentioned it, even if I don't know, I would have checked.. just a phonecall only.

Agent: argue argue argue....

Me: I'll call your boss... (which I did....... i.a.w. with the dispute resolution procedures before going to CASE as that would put your case across better as you've tried amicable means to resolve it)....

I did resolve the Case 1 &2 issues, but that issue similar to yours will pop out soon. I'm waiting for that to happen to spar with my cunning agent again.

what's the name of yr agent? or if you don't mind, can pm me? if it's the same guy, i've his boss' number...

after i signed my 1st appt, i became a *****.

the seller's agent is a bigger ***** and she "eat" me because she is older but i still argue with her.

being loud doesn't mean she is right, it just make her a bigger *****.

1 phrase i want to quote from her is "how can you write to HDB CEO? (looking at my agent and his manager) "do u know about this?"

She mean that i must seek her permission before writing to HDB CEO when his email is accessible thru hdb website.

Throughout all the commotion, I shoot my agent "I cannot believe you can actually keep quiet AGAIN"

he looked at me, wanting to cry.

then my agent came and say to me "I know u r very unhappy with me"

I say "it is ur duty to inform us that all sort of private agreement is not recognized by hdb and if anything were to happen, r u going to take responsibilities?"

my agent say "my other clients........."

I say "right now it involves me and only me, i don't care about your clients."

my agent became a mute afterwards.

So in a way, i have to know everything when i engage his professional services in my house purchasing?

talking about that irks me, i know more things than my fave agent.

he even brought his manager on 1st appt, acting as his shield.

the seller's agent is the biggest *****.

after i signed my 1st appt, i became a *****.

the seller's agent is a bigger ***** and she "eat" me because she is older but i still argue with her.

being loud doesn't mean she is right, it just make her a bigger *****.

1 phrase i want to quote from her is "how can you write to HDB CEO? (looking at my agent and his manager) "do u know about this?"

She mean that i must seek her permission before writing to HDB CEO when his email is accessible thru hdb website.

Throughout all the commotion, I shoot my agent "I cannot believe you can actually keep quiet AGAIN"

he looked at me, wanting to cry.

then my agent came and say to me "I know u r very unhappy with me"

I say "it is ur duty to inform us that all sort of private agreement is not recognized by hdb and if anything were to happen, r u going to take responsibilities?"

my agent say "my other clients........."

I say "right now it involves me and only me, i don't care about your clients."

my agent became a mute afterwards.

So in a way, i have to know everything when i engage his professional services in my house purchasing?

talking about that irks me, i know more things than my fave agent.

he even brought his manager on 1st appt, acting as his shield.

the seller's agent is the biggest *****.

Yo i give u PM email u want bo ? ???

Recently confirmed the purchase of my resale flat.

I've viewed it and based on the floor plans, the current owner did a lot of modifications - 1rm less after hacking down the walls/doors, larger master bedroom, expanded bathroom, etc...

I love the location and told the agent that if the flat was sold as the original floorplan (i have the floorplan as my relative stay a few storey above), i'll definitely buy. And I personally showed him which walls were affected, etc...

the agent told me that everything will be based on floorplan when i take over and assured me that under HDB ruling, the owner will have to renovate the flat back to the floorplan configuration before selling.

with that i decided to buy and asked for that to be included inside the OTP form when exercising but agent assured me that that wasn't required as owner has to do it and the agent himself will ensure that will happen.

when accepting the OTP, I asked if the owner is aware of that and the agent reassured me again and told me he'll ask me along when hdb's inspector comes knocking.

lord and behold, after inspection, the modifcations were all approved by hdb previously and the owner does not need to do anything.

the agent acted ignorant and claim that he misunderstood me as saying i wanted all illegal modification to be corrected. he said that this clause was already stated in the OTP that's why he didn't include it. I repeated word for word what he told me before I signed the OTP but he claimed that he did not make those statement.... and he i want floorplan conditions, i'll have to ask my contractor to do it.

I already paid $5000 to accept the option (again the agent did not tell me i don't have to pay the entire $5000 and simply told me the cost to exercise was $1000 and accept is another $4000).

I've been dumb and did not check the procedures before committing.

What can I do now? What options to I have? giving up the $5000 may incurr more loss (and I'm not sure if i've to compensate the owner anything) than having to pay my contractor to modify the flat's configuration. But I feel cheat if I pay my contractor myself.