Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
CORS

Bad Renovation Contractor

Hi, this is my first time posting, forgive me for my poor english. Recently my house is under renovation by one of the renovation contractor which is recommended by friend. Before the renovation starts, everything was fine and we talked in good manners and everything were went smoothly. But when started the renovation, my contractor said he was sick and hopitalised for two weeks, so my renovation was hold up till he discharged from hospital. when he started the renovation works, i found out that they didn't lay any cardboards or anything to cover my floor. I told the renovation contractor to put so as to prevent scratches or damages to the floor and he said ok they will do it. Second times when i went again, the cardboard was there but didn't lay and my floor looked like a mess and my barqet got dented marks and scretches. I called my renovation contractor and he said: "why you worried so much, nothing series, my men didn't lay the cardboards i also no choice, you think i can 24hrs to look at your house meh.......! Dont worry lah we will do everything for you until you satisfied lah can or not"! The worst things was that my HOOK and BURNER were stolen after my renovation contractor brought those aircon men to see my house. I asked renovation contractor why my things lost and he told me was my fault shouldn't put valuable things inside my house, he also said: "this in-house stolen cases i met alot liao, everytime owners lost their things inside the house they are the one who being blame, i can confirm with you my men won't do such stupid things, somehow the lock i provided can be easily break through by others so what can i do, i experienced alot of these kind of situations"! I told the renovation contractor the HOOK and BURNER i bought is to convenient to you guys to take measurement and installation. After the conversation with that contractor, my wife was worried and scare like going to cry. I felt helpless and dont know what to do, although i had made police report on the stolen case. Actually i don't dare to offend him cause he knows where i stay and now renovating my house, i worried they will do something bad to us or my house. I really need some advices, hope all brothers and sisters here can guide me how to handle this kind of problems. thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi, this is my first time posting, forgive me for my poor english. Recently my house is under renovation by one of the renovation contractor which is recommended by friend. Before the renovation starts, everything was fine and we talked in good manners and everything were went smoothly. But when started the renovation, my contractor said he was sick and hopitalised for two weeks, so my renovation was hold up till he discharged from hospital. when he started the renovation works, i found out that they didn't lay any cardboards or anything to cover my floor. I told the renovation contractor to put so as to prevent scratches or damages to the floor and he said ok they will do it. Second times when i went again, the cardboard was there but didn't lay and my floor looked like a mess and my barqet got dented marks and scretches. I called my renovation contractor and he said: "why you worried so much, nothing series, my men didn't lay the cardboards i also no choice, you think i can 24hrs to look at your house meh.......! Dont worry lah we will do everything for you until you satisfied lah can or not"! The worst things was that my HOOK and BURNER were stolen after my renovation contractor brought those aircon men to see my house. I asked renovation contractor why my things lost and he told me was my fault shouldn't put valuable things inside my house, he also said: "this in-house stolen cases i met alot liao, everytime owners lost their things inside the house they are the one who being blame, i can confirm with you my men won't do such stupid things, somehow the lock i provided can be easily break through by others so what can i do, i experienced alot of these kind of situations"! I told the renovation contractor the HOOK and BURNER i bought is to convenient to you guys to take measurement and installation. After the conversation with that contractor, my wife was worried and scare like going to cry. I felt helpless and dont know what to do, although i had made police report on the stolen case. Actually i don't dare to offend him cause he knows where i stay and now renovating my house, i worried they will do something bad to us or my house. I really need some advices, hope all brothers and sisters here can guide me how to handle this kind of problems. thanks.

This is the danger about using one's friend renovation contractor. You trusted your friend but the contractor is NOT your friend but one who is trying to make a quick buck !

I do not know if you have a written quote from him because laying of protective material on existing floor is a MUST and is a chargeable item. If he has not done so, then you can deduct the amount from his original quote...around $120. Since he has 'damage' so much of your existing fittings, you should withhold progressive payments until he rectifies the problems.

Stolen items within a house during renovation works is not new and I think the contractor knows that too. My Legrand electrical switches which I bought was missing too during electrical works....so was my humble red pail for mopping my house. There is very little one can do because as all these workers are sub-sub-sub type. They come, do the job, see the items, take and go. When asked, no one admits anything.

Better to make friend with this contractor of yours and build up the confidence again. To have him do-you-in at this time is going to be your worst nightmare.

Get him to complete the renovations and shoo him out. Hold the payments !

Your contractor is being irresponsible. He has to make good whatever that has been damaged.

Like asoon88 mentioned, hold on to your payment. If need be deducted from the remaining balance.

my contractor always said that he came across alot of problems like my kind. And always tell i don't know how the market goes. How can a renovation contractor talk such things to me, how can i accept such reasons. He said to me : "don't worry on your floor lah, what if i really put cardboards, if after putting cardboards then got damages or scratches i also need to do for you, so what's the difference between lay and don't lay"! How will you feel when you heard this kind of conversation by him. That contractor looks decent when first approached, after received the money all sorts of things just push to me instead, like i am an idiot don't know anything. Some chinese called "JIA WA SA TU COW". somesort like "EAT YOU ALL THE WAY SO WHAT, YOU ALSO CANNOT DO ANYTHING TO ME"! isn't possible go to CASE and HDB to lodge a complaint?? thanks for the advice........

i wld suggest u talk to ur fren abt ur experience and see wat he says. mayb e "style" of tis contractor is like tat...

anyw ya i thk many pple go thru this prob during reno...feeling of stuck and scare to offend contractor...i thk a balance of firmness has to b struck....i did yell at my contractor before, it helped but i prob wont recommend such behavior at every contractor out there..

my contractor always said that he came across alot of problems like my kind. And always tell i don't know how the market goes. How can a renovation contractor talk such things to me, how can i accept such reasons. He said to me : "don't worry on your floor lah, what if i really put cardboards, if after putting cardboards then got damages or scratches i also need to do for you, so what's the difference between lay and don't lay"! How will you feel when you heard this kind of conversation by him. That contractor looks decent when first approached, after received the money all sorts of things just push to me instead, like i am an idiot don't know anything. Some chinese called "JIA WA SA TU COW". somesort like "EAT YOU ALL THE WAY SO WHAT, YOU ALSO CANNOT DO ANYTHING TO ME"! isn't possible go to CASE and HDB to lodge a complaint?? thanks for the advice........

Im sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Actually we as house owners have to do due diligence of checking up on the contractor that u engage.

My friend also recommended me to my current ID/ Contractor, A&D, which I eventually engage their services.

Everything went smoothly.

Even when there is any hiccups, he gave us the assurance that he will get it done for us.

Due diligence such as, checking on the firm or speaking to a few more firms to find out how exactly does the market operate.

After which, we as house owners will not be taken for granted and ignorant of everything.

Our experience was we short listed 3 and having find out more about the company we chose A&D.

I can tell u a lot of info about the firm that we engage.

Eg: A&D was set up by 5 brothers.

The firm has 7 ID.

They own 2 carpentry factory at AMK Park 2

In AMK, there are 7 groups of carpenters working on each ID's project.

Each group of carpenter is made up of at least 3 skilled carpenters.

A&D hardly appear in advertisements, print ads, etc...they got their endless business through word of mouth which is very important to consumers.

They have done at least 100 units in the new estate Fernvale (I got his info from their worker).

They are currently working on at least 7 units at Duxton along Cantonment Road.

They have their own in-house Draughtsman.

A&D is listed under RADAC and HDB list of renovation contractors.

We also went onto a few forum to find out about them.

Renotalk and living in punggol.

Then we realise that they were among the top 3 contractor that residents in Punggol engage.

We went down to their office along Upper Serangoon Road and we manage to see a wide variety of materials, etc...

And after speaking to our ID for nearly 4 hours for 2 separate session then we sign the contract agreement with him.

I have to see we were kiasu, kiasee but it was all worth it :)

And that was how we eventually chose A&D :)

View our renovation progress here: http://kohnlee.blogspot.com/search/label/Renovation

Does he has a HDB licence? Inform the HDB officer about your difficulty they can help you to obtain a work schedule from this contractor to secure the completion date. Hope this is helpful to you :good:

I can only say that you are really unfortunate. YOur friend dare to recommend this kind of contractor to you ar? F your friend la.

I'm just hoping that you made the required 1st downpayment, normally is 40% of the total contract value.

Hold their payment. Since he give you this kind attitude, tell him that you will only pay the balance until when everything is done swee swee.

If he decided not to continue the reno work, all the better. Go look for better contractor ...

Need ur contractor to measure cooker & hob no need buy the whole ting 1st ma? They wont take out measure also,

Best give them a brochure which shows the dimension of ihe items. Is enuf for them.

The items i bought, all i put at my place, contractor chase me then i bring items needed over..

So Have you seek advise from HDB? next step is to warning him to clean up the floor & lay

protection paper before they are allowed to continue their work, this is your Right as a house owner.

Initially you should inform him about the hood & burner keeping in the house, now that it has already been stolen, you are partly to blame ah :dunno:

I guess your contractor may owe some outstanding money to the subcon.. perhaps, he asked them to steal from you :angry2:

I guess your contractor may owe some outstanding money to the subcon.. perhaps, he asked them to steal from you :angry2:

you are not helping 0my5, your statement are just a assumption, but this will lead a angry situation :(

think nimm12 has make it's point, you are more than anyone else to be blame, so better becareful next time :good:

There are many bad contractor in the renovation. It the same in all industry. But there are still good contractor around.

It is the contractor is irresponsible, you can complain to CASE or small claim court.

After seeing all these report, I am glad my contractor is responsible in his profession. :rolleyes:

Hi, sorry to hear that. My advise will be, sit down and talk to them nicely again.

We tend to have unhappiness with the contractor.. i also argue with my contractor many times over diff issues!!

Like what everyone has said. better dun pay them all till they complete all the reno in ur hse.

Talk to them about solutions.. things will work out..

dun worry too much

Engaged 6IX5 design studio. Horrible IDs who get payment first, and did not complete work as promised. Please avoid this ID at city plaza at all costs.