Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dream916

How To Settle Defects Not Rectified To My Satisfaction

I just submitted my defect record form to the developer.

One of the defects is black crack on cream colored porcelin floor tile at the main entrance. It is very obvious since it's at the main entrance.

When we did joint inspection, the contractor said that he'll just fill the crack with 'something' and it will be alright. He said that if he were to replace the particular tile, the color will be different from the rest of the tiles.

I would like to check if this is possible. Is it true that if you replace the tiles they will not be able to get the same tile of the same color?

I am no expert in this area. I would appreciate some kind soul who can advise me on the following:

(1) How will you handle this case if you were me?

(2) I am not sure if he is trying to bluff me since I know nothing about renovation. But I find it very strange that he said that he is not be able to get the same colored porcelin tiles. Is it true that color of the tiles will differ if he get a new tiles for me?

(3) Assuming he refuse to replace the tile and simply fill the crack, can someone advise me if the tile will crack further in the long term?

Thanks in advance:)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

One of the defects is black crack on cream colored porcelin floor tile at the main entrance. It is very obvious since it's at the main entrance.

When we did joint inspection, the contractor said that he'll just fill the crack with 'something' and it will be alright. He said that if he were to replace the particular tile, the color will be different from the rest of the tiles.

I would like to check if this is possible. Is it true that if you replace the tiles they will not be able to get the same tile of the same color?

I am no expert in this area. I would appreciate some kind soul who can advise me on the following:

(2) I am not sure if he is trying to bluff me since I know nothing about renovation. But I find it very strange that he said that he is not be able to get the same colored porcelin tiles. Is it true that color of the tiles will differ if he get a new tiles for me?

(3) Assuming he refuse to replace the tile and simply fill the crack, can someone advise me if the tile will crack further in the long term?

The contractor may be right if he doesn't have stock of the existing tile. When he gets a new tile from the new shipment, the tone and colour may be slightly different from the earlier shipment. Usually, the contractor would keep some tiles from the leftovers.

I had a cracked tile and I filled it up. It didn't crack further after 6 years.

I do agree on leechaorui.

tone and colour might slightly different from the different shipment.

And some time, the replacement is not just 1 tile. They might need to whack the surrounding tiles.

Last time, my master bedroom toilet wall tile also has a hair-line crack.

We discuss with the contractor. He also told me the tone and colour might be different. He can't promise.

But it is @ the shower room, we concern on the water trap inside and might cause more issue.

So, we told the contractor to do the replacement. If the tone and colour are slight different then bo pian liao.

But we did sweet talk to the uncle, Uncle , pls plsssss.

In the end, Uncle very good. Did help us to find close to existing wall one. :)

Ask ppl to do thing, ask nicely.

Sometime, it does help :)

Hi Dream 916,

i had bad experience in hacking and replacing tiles... there were a few in my living room and master toilet... my contractor was kind enuff to change for me. However, when the tiler hacked/drilled a tile out, the surrounding tiles were affected, my guess is during the drilling, his hands shivered, and the 1) the gaps for the replacement tiles are bigger now 2) during the drilling, some surrounding good tiles were impacted and have hairline cracks ... if your tiles are not seriously damaged, mebbi dun need to change...

Procelin tile cracks easily due to different directional forces exterted onto same tile. My kitchen entrance wall (one side plain, one side laid with procelin tile), plain wall started having horizontal hairline crack, smoothen, then come again. Never mind, the crack goes to other side of wall with procelin tile, tiles crack. Removed kitchen cabinet, relay tiles, fix back cabinet, now wait & see.

Identify crack caused by heavy object falling or uneven forces exerting onto tiles. (use rules of 1 meter length, or strings pull tight & check the leveling of tiles around, wrapped hammer with cloth & knock tile to head sound if hollow underneath tiles). Quite unusual, better check with developer what causes this & get the root corrected.

I have never heard of same procelin tile (heat treatment) have different color/tone, unless they are a few years apart. Natural stones like marble & granites are another issue. New house, tiles should be of latest batch or design, should not be out of production so fast. Remember, developer has the responsibility to replace the tile, not only to make good.

For sure he wants to have a quick fix, save costs for his company. Even if he causes other tiles to crack while removing/replacing new tile, he has duty to make sure all job done.

Edited by bepgof

When I encountered this situation in the past, I asked the contractor to bring about 10 pieces of tiles that are closest to the current for me to choose. I subsequently selected one that I'm happy with and it was replaced.

Don't take their word for it. Ask for samples to select from. Maybe you can even replace 4 or 5 tiles so that you don't have one piece standing out.

Hi dream916,

Ask developer to replace the tile, not patching up.

Take down the repairman's ID/company name/contact/tel, etc, take down his words. If he says no tiles available, tell me u will get engage an ID and replace yourself & send the bill to his company. Draft a letter for him to sign-important. They will ask you to sign a completion form, be careful, if not up to your satisfaction, do not sign.

PM me if u want an ID for standby for just in case.

Sneakers always like to lie, if lie cannot work

they will steal, still cannot get,

they will rob, if cannot rob,

they will kill.

Edited by bepgof

Thanks all for the valuable advice.

I would appreciate if anyone could advise me on the condensation problem on my porcelain floor tiles. See http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29735 for details.

Interesting scenerior! Wish to know further info:

- Any idea how long yr neighbour switch on aircon, day? night?

- Roughly how "hot" your room (day -28degC?, nigh - 26deg C?), any forced-ventilation (fan),

- Other residents (same stack) facing same problem? Or can check with supervisor.

Edited by bepgof

Hi Yoongf, any comments on condensation? 9000BTU/hr can cause this?Temperature difference ? Duration?

Edited by bepgof

Interesting scenerior! Wish to know further info:

- Any idea how long yr neighbour switch on aircon, day? night?

- Roughly how "hot" your room (day -28degC?, nigh - 26deg C?), any forced-ventilation (fan),

- Other residents (same stack) facing same problem? Or can check with supervisor.

Hi bepgof,

According to the developer's contractor the aircon downstairs has been switched on for 24 h for 1 week.

My room is pretty 'hot' because of partial afternoon sun. I don't know the exact temperature. I have not moved in thus I left the sliding door closed at all times.

When I checked with the developer's contract he told me that he has 2 more unit with similar problem.

I am not too sure about the forced-ventiation (fan). I don't think there is one. How do I know if there is one in my apartment?

The full description stated in my sales & purchase agreement for my aircon is as follow:

'Concealed in-ceiling ducted split units complete with diffusers'

TIA

I wun say is a common problem, but is a problem that can easily be replicated.

Take alook at some older buildings. Sometimes can see the external wall facing the sun, got green algae growing on only a particular wall/floor. Usually, it means.. that unit on the aircon cold cold, and kena the hot sun, the external wall will sweat like a cold coke bottle just taken out from the fridge.

The whole issue is about temperature gradient. I suspect the unit below is doing full load test at max cold or his difusser is wrongly adjusted to point to the ceiling (shd correctly point to the far end of the room). And yr unit no curtains yet and window closed so become like greenhouse. Is not unexpected that such a problem can occur.

Personally, I think this scenario will not occur when got ppl live in. Not many ppl can live in 16 degree settings, and unlikely u will live in ur place with no curtains and windows 100% of the time closed. The temp gradient will not be so great when got ppl live in.

A simple test now is to place a small carpet at the wet spot. This will prevent the heat from your unit touching the floor. If after a few days no damp/algae, then I think is one off situation.

Hi bepgof,

According to the developer's contractor the aircon downstairs has been switched on for 24 h for 1 week.

My room is pretty 'hot' because of partial afternoon sun. I don't know the exact temperature. I have not moved in thus I left the sliding door closed at all times.

When I checked with the developer's contract he told me that he has 2 more unit with similar problem.

I am not too sure about the forced-ventiation (fan). I don't think there is one. How do I know if there is one in my apartment?

The full description stated in my sales & purchase agreement for my aircon is as follow:

'Concealed in-ceiling ducted split units complete with diffusers'

TIA

A. Assuming the FCU is 9000BTU capacity, diffuser directed(fixed) toward ceiling(distance?), 16degC for 1wk(24x7hr).

9000BTU=2267kilocal. To condense air(water vapour) to 1kg of water needs 600kilocal (same delta temperature, ie 28degC). Assuming no loss in the process( FCU outlet-ceiling-ceramic tile), ceramic tile =16 degc, room temperature with moisture at 28degC. Can convert air to abt 3.5kg of water ! Only certain tile limited area( I guess maybe abt 4 ft x 4 ft) can do the condensation process. But ceiling slab has absorbed much energy, tile surface's temp & room's temp difference ~ 4-8 deg, not much condensation can be formed.

B. Concealed in ceiling ducted- this is more likely the cause - coolant pipe with insulation tube run at ceiing, long duration of low temperature running through copper pipe, absorbed heat from ceiling (your flooring) causing ceramic tile cool enough to condense air to water. If this is the case, your below unit's ceiling, must be "crying" like raining. Find chance to enter there to look at their ceiling (your affected flooring area).

I think it is logical to run the following test & observation:

1. Ask your below unit to run the aircon at 16 degC, you put thermal meters at various spots on your tiles. Paste clinical thermal meter using clay. Make measuring surface direct contact with tile. Also record room temp.

2. Record the temp of thermal meters (A, B, C, D.....) quarterly hr & observed any condensation formed on tiles.

3. Run till the droplet of water formed on tile. Take photo or video....

Take note that unit below you has right to sw on aircon as low temp & as long hr as they like = the problem will surface again, if root cause not terminated. Better write in to developer, your reason (best with pict showing wet floor) and suggest to carry out test like above-mention to find out WHAT and WHICH AREA cause the cold tiles that condense water.

Once your airco is ok, running all FCUs at 16 degC, with windows open, for at least 5~8hr, observe areas around FCUs and compressor to see any "wet" marks.

Edited by bepgof

Correction: temperature difference between tile & ambience ~ 28-16 = 12 degC, can cause much condensation.

Edited by bepgof

End of the day, this is a problem. Get this through to your lawyer to get your developer to sort this out. For the tiles, go for full tile change and get them to give you a few pieces to choose. Don't take all the Sh*T coming from the developer.