Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Lily70

Is This A & A Work?

Hi

Just bought a terrace house. It has a L shape driveway. We have plan to do the below. Are they consider A&A? Do i need a builder or architect? Can an ID do this?

1) Planning to convert some part of the driveway as play area for my children & park the car further out. In that case, it will not have shelter for the car. Want to build a shelter or car garage.

2) Want to create a balcony at 2nd level by opening an entrance

3) create more light to the stairway by opening up the roof.

Pls provide some contacts of reliable builder or ID.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi

Just bought a terrace house. It has a L shape driveway. We have plan to do the below. Are they consider A&A? Do i need a builder or architect? Can an ID do this?

1) Planning to convert some part of the driveway as play area for my children & park the car further out. In that case, it will not have shelter for the car. Want to build a shelter or car garage.

Sounds like an A&A job and you know exactly what you want. In that case, just use a builder, since an architect won't be able to add much value here.

Hi

Hi Lily,

(1) To construct a simple shelter is not difficult. A contractor will be able to do the job. There are different types of shelter and depending on sophistication and design, the price and construction method varies. You may want to design your car shelter to match your house design and construct the shelter such that there are no poles at one side of the shelter so that there won't be obstructions.

(2) Not sure what you mean by creating a balcony at 2nd level by opening an entrance. This may be an A&A work because it may involve putting up structures to support the balcony. For this work, I think you will need to get approvals from the authorities and this would involve seeking help from QP (Qualified Persons) to design the structure.

(3) If you are using tile roof, it should not be difficult. However, you may just change the roof it your roof is a very old one. Cutting a hole on an old roof may have further consequences of inviting leakages later on. I find that it is best not to meddle with an old roof that is serving you well. If it is a new roof, get the original contractor who put up the roof for you to help you with drilling the hole. At least, when there is leakage, someone is wholely accountable.

There are quite a number of architect firms and contactors around. If you wish to consider using my existing contractor who is presently constructing my house, you can pm me with your hp number. Before that, think about whether you want to create the balcony because this would be the most costly. If you don't need the balcony, you probably only need a household contractor to help you with the renovation work.

Cheers!

Hi Lily,

(1) To construct a simple shelter is not difficult. A contractor will be able to do the job. There are different types of shelter and depending on sophistication and design, the price and construction method varies. You may want to design your car shelter to match your house design and construct the shelter such that there are no poles at one side of the shelter so that there won't be obstructions.

(2) Not sure what you mean by creating a balcony at 2nd level by opening an entrance. This may be an A&A work because it may involve putting up structures to support the balcony. For this work, I think you will need to get approvals from the authorities and this would involve seeking help from QP (Qualified Persons) to design the structure.

(3) If you are using tile roof, it should not be difficult. However, you may just change the roof it your roof is a very old one. Cutting a hole on an old roof may have further consequences of inviting leakages later on. I find that it is best not to meddle with an old roof that is serving you well. If it is a new roof, get the original contractor who put up the roof for you to help you with drilling the hole. At least, when there is leakage, someone is wholely accountable.

There are quite a number of architect firms and contactors around. If you wish to consider using my existing contractor who is presently constructing my house, you can pm me with your hp number. Before that, think about whether you want to create the balcony because this would be the most costly. If you don't need the balcony, you probably only need a household contractor to help you with the renovation work.

Cheers!

Hi I have already PM you. Does your contractor has any ID experience? I would also need some ID for interior.

For the balcony, there is already existing structure. Just that the current owner did not create an opening at the 2nd level. We can create a door & walk out to the platform.

Hi I have already PM you. Does your contractor has any ID experience? I would also need some ID for interior.

For the balcony, there is already existing structure. Just that the current owner did not create an opening at the 2nd level. We can create a door & walk out to the platform.

Hi Lily, I will contact you in the weekend. The existing structure may not be strong enough for use as a balcony (ie for people to stand on it). This has to be checked first. Do you have the engineer's structural plan of your house?

I suspect your "balcony" is actually the concrete carporch roof, which u want to open up a door to have access to the top?

L shaped driveway in a Terr hse? Is it a long driveway?

I suspect your "balcony" is actually the concrete carporch roof, which u want to open up a door to have access to the top?

L shaped driveway in a Terr hse? Is it a long driveway?

Yes, you are right. L shaped in a Terr hse. The neighbour renovated the house last yr & they use that as balcony. I supposed it should be approved. I do not have the floor plan yet. Thinking of getting them from BCA or get the builder or ID to get it.

Appreciate any recommendation on builder or ID with A&A experience.

Yes, you are right. L shaped in a Terr hse. The neighbour renovated the house last yr & they use that as balcony. I supposed it should be approved. I do not have the floor plan yet. Thinking of getting them from BCA or get the builder or ID to get it.

Appreciate any recommendation on builder or ID with A&A experience.

A lot of folks covert car porch roof into balconies after TOP inspection... aka not legal. You should check if your neighbour has approval.

http://www.corenet.gov.sg/circulars/tables/dc92-08tb4a.html

Hmm.. carporch roof become balcony normally not approved.

Car porch at begining of driveway.. usually need 1m clearance (fire safety requirement) on both side of neighbour boundary, which means.. narrow shelter.

Like this hor.. might as well act blur. See no evil, do no evil.