Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Hamster06

Hansgrohe/grohe/toto Vs Non-branded Bathroom Items

I've gotten a brand new HDB flat and am thinking of changing the wash basins/taps and getting a good shower set for the master bedroom and the common bathroom. My friends recommended me brands like Hansgrohe, Grohe, Toto and few other European brands. Definitely they look sleek/cool and I have no doubt about the quality but I am also concern with the prices. After going through this forum, I also realised that there are the non-branded ones selling at Jalan Besar, Balestier and Geylang.

So now I am wondering, which is better in terms of quality? Are they comparable? And are the prices very different? Or should I do a mix & match ie get some branded ones and some non-branded ones?

Hope somebody can share some info or give some advise. Thanks! :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I've gotten a brand new HDB flat and am thinking of changing the wash basins/taps and getting a good shower set for the master bedroom and the common bathroom. My friends recommended me brands like Hansgrohe, Grohe, Toto and few other European brands. Definitely they look sleek/cool and I have no doubt about the quality but I am also concern with the prices. After going through this forum, I also realised that there are the non-branded ones selling at Jalan Besar, Balestier and Geylang.

So now I am wondering, which is better in terms of quality? Are they comparable? And are the prices very different? Or should I do a mix & match ie get some branded ones and some non-branded ones?

Hope somebody can share some info or give some advise. Thanks! :)

Hi,

Well, to me , branded taps definitely look nicer and feel more solid. Quality wise I am inclined to think they are better too. However, function wise, they all do the same job. The prices are definitely very different. A mid-range wash basin tap from hansgrohe may cost $250 while a non-branded one can be bought at less than $50 if you are not particular about design. A slightly nicer looking one may cost about $100?

It all depends on your preference and your budget. Don't forget that you'll be getting 2 of everything. Washbasin taps, baths mixers, normal showers x 2 may cost about $700-$1.4k from Hansgrohe.

As for prices for other brands, I'm not so sure because I never go and look.

:D

These are things are suppose to last for at least 5 years, and which u will touch 4 to 5 times daily. If faulty, need to call plumber come and replace, and take leave to monitor the repair. All it takes is a slight drip, and that will occupy your mind for a long time. The hassle of downtime far exceeds the incremental cost of getting a good brand.

Within the good brand, there is a wide selection from the basic model to those fancy designs. The basic models do not cost alot more than the cheaper brands. Most commercial buildings use a very small range of brands, like Grohe, Toto, Rigel. There must be a valid reason why it has come to this situation.

These are things are suppose to last for at least 5 years, and which u will touch 4 to 5 times daily. If faulty, need to call plumber come and replace, and take leave to monitor the repair. All it takes is a slight drip, and that will occupy your mind for a long time. The hassle of downtime far exceeds the incremental cost of getting a good brand.

Within the good brand, there is a wide selection from the basic model to those fancy designs. The basic models do not cost alot more than the cheaper brands. Most commercial buildings use a very small range of brands, like Grohe, Toto, Rigel. There must be a valid reason why it has come to this situation.

For me, I would rather pay more if it helps to ensure a peace of mind. My expectation is that they should be of good quality and will last well, other than aesthetically pleasing. That's why I decided to get all my taps, including kitchen tap, from Hansgrohe for my new place even though it burnt a hole in my pocket.

Calculation wise, for me, I actually intended to get those so-called cheaper but not-bad looking taps. Including showerheads, the total cost would come up to almost $600 including gst. The cheapest range from Hansgrohe (tap, mixer, shower x 2) after discount is about $750 wi gst. Of course the price difference will be greater if you get the other ranges.

Again, it's all up to you which you want to get. :D Good luck.

I got my raindance shower head and my mbr tap from Hansgrohe and was very happy with the decision, it was only $250 in total during their 25% sale (which happens quite often).

Just get their cheapest range, it's still good quality :)

I got some RAF (italian) items from PohJoo, like a concealed shower lever and a kitchen tap for $210 in total. Pretty good, imho :)

I also got a malaysian tap for my common toilet basin, it's not as smooth as the rest, but serves the purpose.

Oh, you can see my prices in my signature :D

Edited by ossify

according to the bathroom accessories guide in square rooms (or was it home & decor?), if u have a budget, save on the basin and splurge on the tap. the tap makes a difference. basin usually doesnt give much problems

well.. i'm very particular.. it's either all branded or all non-branded... i won't mix and match branded with non-branded... i was considering hans grohe too.. was so keen to get them and even increase my budget for it... then a friend told me not to. said her hubby's previous house was all hans grohe and it's just normal.. then i think and think lor... and decide against getting it.. i still don't know if there's a difference in quality la but i was swooned over getting the brand.. eventually, all these brandeds will be fixed in that house when you sell them off.. so i rather save the money and buy something else instead.. it's a hard decision to make la.. but then i know once i stay in that house for a while, nothing seems to matter anymore.

according to the bathroom accessories guide in square rooms (or was it home & decor?), if u have a budget, save on the basin and splurge on the tap. the tap makes a difference. basin usually doesnt give much problems

My Hansgrohe MBR tap costs almost as much as my washbasin :P

well.. i'm very particular.. it's either all branded or all non-branded... i won't mix and match branded with non-branded... i was considering hans grohe too.. was so keen to get them and even increase my budget for it... then a friend told me not to. said her hubby's previous house was all hans grohe and it's just normal.. then i think and think lor... and decide against getting it.. i still don't know if there's a difference in quality la but i was swooned over getting the brand.. eventually, all these brandeds will be fixed in that house when you sell them off.. so i rather save the money and buy something else instead.. it's a hard decision to make la.. but then i know once i stay in that house for a while, nothing seems to matter anymore.

You can always hire a plumber to replace your expensive taps with cheap ones and you can bring the taps with you :D

Edited by ossify

My Hansgrohe MBR tap costs more than my washbasin :P

You can always hire a plumber to replace your expensive taps with cheap ones and you can bring the taps with you :D

haha... i know that.. but really la.. after 5 - 8 years... the taps will be filled with grime and slime already.. new house get new shiny things ma....

one thing for sure, Hansgrohe definitely change my expectation aesthetically... so now, i want all my taps to look nice and sleek, but cost a fraction of hans grohe.. haha.

haha... i know that.. but really la.. after 5 - 8 years... the taps will be filled with grime and slime already.. new house get new shiny things ma....

one thing for sure, Hansgrohe definitely change my expectation aesthetically... so now, i want all my taps to look nice and sleek, but cost a fraction of hans grohe.. haha.

try nobel? mid range.. for basin/sink taps... shower heads ok to get cheaper.. tat's what the expert at the shop says.. :D

try nobel? mid range.. for basin/sink taps... shower heads ok to get cheaper.. tat's what the expert at the shop says.. :D

hey joleena!

yup, realised nobel has really nice designs! but i'm getting G.Ferretti la.. hehe

The grime and slime can be easily removed with Rayen scale remover, only $5 from Horgamas :D Will look almost as good as new!

hey joleena!

yup, realised nobel has really nice designs! but i'm getting G.Ferretti la.. hehe

hey. i think the tap i chose was g.ferretti too... cant really remember tho.. too many things in mind right now

Hey thank you everybody!

After much thought...i still prefer to get the better ones, bought Grohe during it's warehouse sale almost 1 month ago, a slight burn in my pocket but I know it's worth it! :P

Thanks again ;)

haha.. i also got hansgrohe wor. cos i was quoted about 300 for g.ferretti full set. then hansgrohe only cost 15 bucks more for the full set.. so why not?