Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Eric19

Aircon Replacement

Dear All

I will be renovating my resale purchase soon. Its a 9 year old apartment, comes with System 4 aircon: (One for each bedroom and 2 at the living room). My reno budget is very tight and I would like to know if its ok to keep the existing aircon (with just a servicing) or to replace it since i am going through with the reno now rather than replace it later.

Thanks

eric

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Initial I also plan to keep the aircon but in the end, we decide to change a new one.

Not regret. Especially when they let us see the old pipe.

My husband say.. luckily we change

Dear All

I will be renovating my resale purchase soon. Its a 9 year old apartment, comes with System 4 aircon: (One for each bedroom and 2 at the living room). My reno budget is very tight and I would like to know if its ok to keep the existing aircon (with just a servicing) or to replace it since i am going through with the reno now rather than replace it later.

Thanks

eric

Get a aircon guy to check: leakage, cold, compressor etc. If not ok, ask for repair quotation if too expensive, change a new one.

Get a aircon guy to check: leakage, cold, compressor etc. If not ok, ask for repair quotation if too expensive, change a new one.

Dear All

Thanks for your valuable feedback, will get technician to check the condition before making any major decision.

cheers

I'm female.

I give u an impression that I'm male ar? :jawdrop:

Profile gender set as "male".

Subject awareness also very impressive and understanding...

Peifu..

Dear All

Thanks for your valuable feedback, will get technician to check the condition before making any major decision.

cheers

Eh... I think u also have to make a decision on this.

A rattling indoor unit.. to a technician is also considered good condition.

If u need AC every nite, then is better to get new one. I rather have cement floor with aircon than timber strip with fan.

To me, M&E shd not compromise. If budget tight, then is about only installing new AC for critical rooms, rather than reuse old one.

Aircon lifespan is agar agar 10 years.

Dear All

cheers

- Very likely airrcon man's check will land you nowhere, except paying him service charge.

- FCUs built with motor fan, coil with fins, electronic board for RC and temperature control, filter, mechanical moving damper...

- The copper pipe where coolant flow from & to compressor & FCUs can get corroded and leaks, and those joints at FCUs & Compressor, expand & contract over time, always cause minor leakage & coolant evaporate over time.

- Compressor sholud be of non-inverter type (9 yr old?)only either "on" or "off", wear out very fast, up to 10 yr lifespan.

- Insulation material also "harden" already, implying no effective insultaion, will see heavy condensation.

Having written so much, conclusion: die die must change - now is the right time.

Edited by bepgof

Profile gender set as "male".

Subject awareness also very impressive and understanding...

Peifu..

Oh!

I forget to change when I created this account. :P

I have the same issue here bought a reslae flat. currently install with a system 4. After much consideration, I go ahead and change. For old model non-invertor, the life span of the air con is a bit longer base on what I know. The outdoor unit can hold more than 10 years. If you buy invertor due to the new computer parts added in, it won't last very long although the compressor still will last. I decided to change cuase no point spend a few hundred to check and maintainence when system 4 is just S$3k+. Well depend on budget.

By the way just to share, buying invertor air con does not mean save $$$ in electricity. It is true only if you don't on whole day and the tempature set is around 24. This is what the salesman told me.

By the way just to share, buying invertor air con does not mean save $$$ in electricity. It is true only if you don't on whole day and the tempature set is around 24. This is what the salesman told me.

The rationale for inverter savings is as follows. Under full load condition, inverter and non inverter no difference, as both operate the fan and compressor under full power mode.

Under PARTIAL LOAD condition, non inverter cycle on and off the compressor and fan. whenever high load devices start, there is a spike in power consumption. Inverter simply slows down/speeds up the compressor and fan, avoiding the spiking current.

Therefore, it's not so much the temp or the 24 hrs. If u undersize the inverter outdoor unit from the onset, then also no difference in power consumption.

I have the same issue here bought a reslae flat. currently install with a system 4. After much consideration, I go ahead and change. For old model non-invertor, the life span of the air con is a bit longer base on what I know. The outdoor unit can hold more than 10 years. If you buy invertor due to the new computer parts added in, it won't last very long although the compressor still will last. I decided to change cuase no point spend a few hundred to check and maintainence when system 4 is just S$3k+. Well depend on budget.

Salesman must be psycho you to buy a non-inverter AC then.

Edited by bepgof