Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yuene

Haus Of Yuene

Samz: thanks... Been on MC 3 days this week now; just hoping that it'll clear up by next week. Boo to being sick!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hope you are healthy pink and rosy again! is the 30th!

ne0: Not quite... although my sinus is now unclogged.... from time to time it still hurts when I blink. But mostly okay now. Spending my MC working from home...

ne0: Not quite... although my sinus is now unclogged.... from time to time it still hurts when I blink. But mostly okay now. Spending my MC working from home...

Hi Yuene,

Get better soon! :( Really not fun to be sick and try to pack.. Got hit by tonsil infections two days before the last big packing push.. GRRR.

Aiyoh, why are you working from home if you're on MC!! Go and rest!!!

oh yuene, better take care, packing will create a lot of dust.

on a happier note, you're exactly 1 month to start of reno wor :o

sounds bad...

weather has been quite erratic. so yea, pse take good care ya!

nvm, perhaps reno-ing will make you excited and you will be all well k!

Jupiter: Ya, and my husband is playing Starcraft 2 instead of helping me pack! Hahaha... this one is hardcore man, he even took leave the day after buying it to play the whole day... one month to the reno... Still so much to pack away! :help:

ne0: Thanks man... I think it's really the weather, it's like siao lor, one day rain like siao, next day hot like siao...

Yet another quick update (I feel like a Twitter account):

Permit applied for. Hacking starts 30 August.

I still have so many things to pack... oh. my. god. I'm really freaking out right now.

Yet another quick update (I feel like a Twitter account):

Permit applied for. Hacking starts 30 August.

I still have so many things to pack... oh. my. god. I'm really freaking out right now.

Don't freak out! You have about 3 - 4 weekends left. This weekend is a long weekend, so you have 1 extra day - must make full use of it! Break it down into one room at a time.

Of course, pack the things that you're still using or still need last. :) Oh, useful tip - for things in bottles, your glasses, or bottles that might leak etc, buy those big plastic boxes and pack those breakables inside. Less likelihood of them breaking in transit.

Jia you!! You can do it!!

lachesis: Oh okay! Thanks for the packing tip. I will try that out! Packing is still very slow, so many things in the house still lying around. Must somehow get the inspiration to clear it all!

Update 19/08

No progress on the packing, but a few things have happened in the meantime:

1) My reno permit for hacking has been approved! I received the confirmation from HDB in the mail this morning, on my way back from the banks. No problems with the hacking items, since it doesn't involve structural walls. Strange though, it says that the renovation works must be completed by 27 September, although hacking is allowed for only 30/08-01/09. Does that mean that the whole renovation must be completed in *gulp* less than a month??

2) I applied for the renovation loan!

Hb and I originally had hoped to cover everything with cash, but as we planned more and more, we realised that it was, in all likelihood, not quite feasible, if we wanted to have the renovation before more things in the house start falling apart! So we agreed that since he is footing most things with his savings, I would be the one to apply for the renovation loan. After a lengthy review of the possible bank loans, I decided to go with RHB, as its interest rates are pretty reasonable, and the bank had gotten good reviews so far for the service.

Taking leave, I dutifully trooped down to The Rail Mall with the relevant documents.

A preliminary review:

Service in general at that branch of RHB seems to be not bad. I had to wait as there seems to be only one officer in charge of personal loans at that branch, so in the meantime, the teller informed me that drinks from the vending machine were on the house (score one for the little perks).

There was a person in front of me, but she apparently decided not to take up whatever loan it was because it was too bothersome, and so it was my turn. The personal loans officer was pretty friendly, and took time to answer my queries on the loan types. Just for your info, there are two types of loans: the variable interest loan, which has an interest rate of 6.25% p.a., and the flat rate package, which has two rates for two principal loan amounts--3.88% p.a. for a loan up to $15K, and 3.22% p.a. for loans above that. There is an effective rate as well, which is, if I understand it correctly, just basically the idea that the proportion of interest in relation to the (remaining) principal amount will increase-- for e.g., if you take a loan of $10K, the interest is calculated using the initial principal amount x interest rate x no. of years that you will be repaying the loan for (e.g. 3 years), and NOT recalculated yearly with the remaining principal loan amount. So that would work out to about 5.8-7.3% p.a. overall. If you are taking the variable loan, do note that there is a minimum sum for prepayment, which is $5,000, with increment of $1,000.

Kristi (the loan officer) also informed me that when I take up the loan, I would have to set up a savings account with RHB, from which the loan repayment would be deducted. There also is a minimum sum of $500 that must be maintained in the account, failing which there would be a transactional deduction of.... $2. Anyway, on signing the acceptance of the loan, a 1% payment has to be made (in cash), which cannot be deducted from the loan amount. So if you intend to go with RHB, do note that.

Drawdown must begin 3 months following the signing of the letter of acceptance, and payment is issued in a maximum of 3 cheques made out to your contractor. The first is FOC, but the second and third will incur an administrative charge of $10 (WHAT THE....). Principal loan repayment begins the month after the drawdown; basically, if you took out the money first on 18 August, repayment kicks in on 18 September. OUCH.

So I arranged for a flat rate loan, and worked out a comfy repayment period and amount for myself. Pretty much fuss-free, and friendly and helpful service all around. Then again, maybe it's just the start, so they're friendlier then. Will keep everyone updated on the ease of using the bank's services.

Just for everyone's info, if you're applying by yourself, you will need:

-your IC (they will make a copy for you)

-your latest payslip or tax assessment

-your CPF statement for the last 6 months. FYI, it's the CPF contributions statement, and not the transactions statement. If you're a dork like me and have printed out the wrong one, you can print it on the spot, assuming you have Singpass.

-Contractors' official quotation

-Proof of ownership of the property being renovated--for this, you can print out the document from HDBinfoweb, if you have Singpass, as well.

3) Had a moving company come over to give me a quotation for moving my house. Will receive it tomorrow. Hope my eyes don't pop out at the amount.

Update 19/08

No progress on the packing, but a few things have happened in the meantime:

1) My reno permit for hacking has been approved! I received the confirmation from HDB in the mail this morning, on my way back from the banks. No problems with the hacking items, since it doesn't involve structural walls. Strange though, it says that the renovation works must be completed by 27 September, although hacking is allowed for only 30/08-01/09. Does that mean that the whole renovation must be completed in *gulp* less than a month??

2) I applied for the renovation loan!

Hb and I originally had hoped to cover everything with cash, but as we planned more and more, we realised that it was, in all likelihood, not quite feasible, if we wanted to have the renovation before more things in the house start falling apart! So we agreed that since he is footing most things with his savings, I would be the one to apply for the renovation loan. After a lengthy review of the possible bank loans, I decided to go with RHB, as its interest rates are pretty reasonable, and the bank had gotten good reviews so far for the service.

Taking leave, I dutifully trooped down to The Rail Mall with the relevant documents.

A preliminary review:

Service in general at that branch of RHB seems to be not bad. I had to wait as there seems to be only one officer in charge of personal loans at that branch, so in the meantime, the teller informed me that drinks from the vending machine were on the house (score one for the little perks).

There was a person in front of me, but she apparently decided not to take up whatever loan it was because it was too bothersome, and so it was my turn. The personal loans officer was pretty friendly, and took time to answer my queries on the loan types. Just for your info, there are two types of loans: the variable interest loan, which has an interest rate of 6.25% p.a., and the flat rate package, which has two rates for two principal loan amounts--3.88% p.a. for a loan up to $15K, and 3.22% p.a. for loans above that. There is an effective rate as well, which is, if I understand it correctly, just basically the idea that the proportion of interest in relation to the (remaining) principal amount will increase-- for e.g., if you take a loan of $10K, the interest is calculated using the initial principal amount x interest rate x no. of years that you will be repaying the loan for (e.g. 3 years), and NOT recalculated yearly with the remaining principal loan amount. So that would work out to about 5.8-7.3% p.a. overall. If you are taking the variable loan, do note that there is a minimum sum for prepayment, which is $5,000, with increment of $1,000.

Kristi (the loan officer) also informed me that when I take up the loan, I would have to set up a savings account with RHB, from which the loan repayment would be deducted. There also is a minimum sum of $500 that must be maintained in the account, failing which there would be a transactional deduction of.... $2. Anyway, on signing the acceptance of the loan, a 1% payment has to be made (in cash), which cannot be deducted from the loan amount. So if you intend to go with RHB, do note that.

Drawdown must begin 3 months following the signing of the letter of acceptance, and payment is issued in a maximum of 3 cheques made out to your contractor. The first is FOC, but the second and third will incur an administrative charge of $10 (WHAT THE....). Principal loan repayment begins the month after the drawdown; basically, if you took out the money first on 18 August, repayment kicks in on 18 September. OUCH.

So I arranged for a flat rate loan, and worked out a comfy repayment period and amount for myself. Pretty much fuss-free, and friendly and helpful service all around. Then again, maybe it's just the start, so they're friendlier then. Will keep everyone updated on the ease of using the bank's services.

Just for everyone's info, if you're applying by yourself, you will need:

-your IC (they will make a copy for you)

-your latest payslip or tax assessment

-your CPF statement for the last 6 months. FYI, it's the CPF contributions statement, and not the transactions statement. If you're a dork like me and have printed out the wrong one, you can print it on the spot, assuming you have Singpass.

-Contractors' official quotation

-Proof of ownership of the property being renovated--for this, you can print out the document from HDBinfoweb, if you have Singpass, as well.

3) Had a moving company come over to give me a quotation for moving my house. Will receive it tomorrow. Hope my eyes don't pop out at the amount.

wow, that's a very detailed update on yr banking experience. I also took a RHB loan, but think would not be able to pen down all these!

btw would be looking forward to read about yr moving quotation. Do you have loads to move? I have been getting a few quotes of late, and my eyes have almost been set in that dangling position since! it's indeed costly to move!

wow, wat a detailed guide on loan! :good:

u can try helping hands bah. Reviews from others pretty good and seems like price pretty reasonable. I almost wanted to ask them to quote and do but hubby say his friend help us move so ok lor.

froggy and sam jie: In the end, we went with Alpha Movers, because Shalom was a bit too costly (over $700 for the move there and back, compared to $450 from Alpha, also there and back). We're moving everything into Extra Space, and our parents' places. My house looks like a refugee camp now!

Just got a call from RHB Bank, informing me that my renovation loan is approved. They also informed me on what items to bring--note that if you're opening the account with them, you have to bring the money in cash, or in the form of a cheque (same applies for the 1% processing fee). I'll be headed down this Friday afternoon since I'm on half-day leave.

A busy weekend at the Haus of Yuene:

How time flies, really... It feels so surreal, the knowledge that my renovation, which I've waited over 2 years for, is finally really going to take place this Monday. It seems like only yesterday that I was poring over issue after issue of interior design magazines for ideas, and now I'm installed in my mum's place, literally counting down the hours to the start of the hacking. Strangely enough, for someone who'd anticipated the whole thing for so long, I feel no sense of excitement; instead, as I packed, I felt rather nostalgic. All the old furnishings and items... good memories, man, good memories... being the rather sentimental girl that I am, I bid the old cabinets goodbye, and went through my near-empty rooms, recalling every event... guess I'm rather silly that way, but while I know I'll be coming back to it soon, it won't look the same as when I first moved in.

My packing is mostly done; all that's left is to bring a couple more items to Extra Space, and to transport the kitties over to my mum's place, where they have been allocated a room to themselves (the lucky critters). My house looks terribly empty now. In all honesty, I actually like how empty it looks and feels at the moment, and I even momentarily toyed with the idea of keeping it that way permanently. Heh :P But part of the fun will be the filling of the house with the right furniture in the right amounts, so I'm looking forward to that, too.