Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yuene

Haus Of Yuene

Thanks reizzz! Yes, plastering the whole house. More ex than normal because the previous owner did a rockwall effect for the entire living + dining... sian.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hey, u got ah san as ur tiler too! he is super good! his works passed my dad's standard (my dad is helping to supervise the construction of a condo at Nassim road which have 1+k toilet bowl so i think if it passed his standard quite good liao!)

haha... and ah san is very responsible. the moment he heard one of my tile is found to be hollow, he immediately came down to repair it and it was on a SUNDAY afternoon!

enjoy your soon to be ready house!

hey, u got ah san as ur tiler too! he is super good! his works passed my dad's standard (my dad is helping to supervise the construction of a condo at Nassim road which have 1+k toilet bowl so i think if it passed his standard quite good liao!)

haha... and ah san is very responsible. the moment he heard one of my tile is found to be hollow, he immediately came down to repair it and it was on a SUNDAY afternoon!

enjoy your soon to be ready house!

Yup, I got Ah San! Very nice, very funny fella--he was the one who did (and re-did) my wall, and was super chill about it. Yay for great tilers! Your dad is also in the construction business?

Yup, I got Ah San! Very nice, very funny fella--he was the one who did (and re-did) my wall, and was super chill about it. Yay for great tilers! Your dad is also in the construction business?

he is an on site supervisor so his job is to check for defects...

and Ah San is actually very young! quite surprised to find out his age... he is super nice... will tell you abt quality of the tiles etc

he is an on site supervisor so his job is to check for defects...

and Ah San is actually very young! quite surprised to find out his age... he is super nice... will tell you abt quality of the tiles etc

Ah, I see... Hmmm! Like that good la, you have your own in-house QC manager! I only have my sister to rely on, and she's always super busy...

? How old is Ah San? Mid-30s? And ya, he's very chatty, will talk about anything... including beh pio!!! We just had a chat about it yesterday when I dropped by, because my mum's place is near one outlet that recently sold a bunch of winning tickets...

windows.jpg

Kitchentiles.jpg

wa.... new windows. wish I have the budget man.

btw, what color is that window frame? white?

is great to know you have a good tiler, lucky you! haha

seems like your unit gonna be quite woody huh

wa.... new windows. wish I have the budget man.

btw, what color is that window frame? white?

is great to know you have a good tiler, lucky you! haha

seems like your unit gonna be quite woody huh

I had to change the windows, because I like the feeling of fresh air and light coming in (it's a throwback from when I used to live with my parents in Toh Tuck... our house faced the afternoon sun and had plenty of windows), and the windows were kind of blocking it all out. The window frame is white; the black tapes are just stuck there to protect it until the end of the reno, I think. And yes, I really like the woody look! I did wonder if the wood-grain tiles were a bit of an overkill, but beh.

Jupiter: Thanks! I like them too... they weren't my first choice tiles, but for some reason when I talked about my kitchen, in my mind's eye this tile would be the one to pop up! In the end because the first choice tile must top up extra, so I went with this one instead. ^^

Day 20 (or so, I'm losing count): filling in the blanks

On the day I passed my contractor the piece of paper that will put me into everlasting debt (*sob*), he informed me that on the 25th, I would have to be at my place for about 3-4 hours to discuss with the electrician and carpenter on the location, size and positioning of my fixtures. He suggested getting the rest of the fixtures delivered at one shot as well, since it was more convenient anyway.

Part One: Let there be light

So my hb and I dutifully trooped down yesterday afternoon after my friend's wedding to lightings.com.sg. I must have looked quite a sight, dressed in my friend's salwar kameez (we did a Bollywood dance item) and aviators (because the sunlight was so insanely bright, and bright sunlight hurts my eyes and triggers my migraines). It didn't take us too long to choose our lights, because I had a good idea of what I wanted. I have severe asthma, and since I'm not home early most days, I can't afford to have high maintenance lights. So, no artichoke lights, no chandeliers etc which is a pity! I did want a chandelier in my walk-in wardrobe because I thought it would be nice, and lend a touch of elegance to the otherwise clean lines of the house. But budget and design cohesion were also factors, so that was that.

So... let's start at the very beginning...

foyer.jpg

Simple ice-cube light for my entrance. Living room lights are 6 downlights, 2x13W.

dining.jpg

Dining room lights. These aren't the correct ones, but they look rather similar to these.

kitchen.jpg

Kitchen light. I got a big, bright one because it has a pretty big space to illuminate.

study.jpg

Study room lights. I made my hb choose his own light because he will be using the study room more than I will. So he chose this one. He asked if it came in pink! URGH. I'll never understand why he likes that colour.

wardrobe.jpg

My walk-in wardrobe light! Since I couldn't go for the chandelier, I decided to go for the simple elegant light. My bedroom lights are just 3 round white tracklights on a 1m track.

Toilet.jpg

My toilet light. I've always known I wanted a milo tin light for my toilet light.

After that I had to rush off to training, so that was it. But my hb and I agreed that we would buy the rest of the fixtures the next day.

The lights didn't cost us too much, but still, a rather pretty penny: slightly over $700 for all of them.

Part two tomorrow...

Part Two: The longest shopping trip EVER

On Sunday we agreed to go IMM after church to get the rest of the fixtures. However, due to the fact that I was very tired the night before (having been up from 6am and going non-stop until 11pm), we couldn't make the late morning service. So we went for lunch instead, and then headed to IMM.

We needed to get:

Bathroom

WC, shower, mixer, storage heater, sink, tap, accessories

Kitchen

Hob, hood, undermount sink, tap

We browsed around Sim Siang Choon for a while, but couldn't really find anything we wanted, so we headed on to Asia Excel a couple of doors down. There, we were served by a fellow called James. I suspect he's relatively new, because he had to keep checking back with his colleague, but he was nice and patient, and ready to give recommendations on items. In the end, we ended up buying a few items from Asia Excel, as they were able to give us a 15% discount on all of the items.

Hob:

CooktopsandHobs-ElectroluxEHG30200X-1-1.

I had allocated 8ft of counter space for my kitchen, which, when you think of it, isn't a lot of space. While I don't need all that much preparation space except when I'm entertaining guests, when you put in a 2ft hob with about a 2ft sink (give or take a few inches), factoring in buffer space from the walls, I might as well be chopping my food on the floor! I did know, however, that I liked the look of a domino hob; compact and pretty much as many burners as I would need most of the time. Since I also have a standalone induction cooker thanks to my darling mum who bought the thing, realised it didn't have what it wanted and insisted on offloading it to me, I figured that should handle, well, pretty much everything that a dinner party could possibly throw me.

Unfortunately, few brands carry the domino hob design for gas stoves--I don't like using electric or induction as they don't quite give the same control over heat that flame can. We were introduced to the Teka hob, but it didn't appeal to me. So James suggested the Electrolux brand, and so we headed to their showroom on Level 2. The one that we saw was $498 *CHOKECOUGHCOUGH GASP*... so I asked if there were any other dominos from that brand. He suggested a slightly older model, the EHG30200X. I looked at it, and liked it at once. With the 15% discount, it came up to slightly more than $330. We decided also to forgo the hood, since we don't do any deep-frying, and I'm used to not using a hood anyway.

Shower:

photo8.jpg

They had a rainshower set on display that I rather liked; it also came with a handheld shower. Including the mixer, it wasn't all that expensive, though I still felt a bit of a pinch when we got it. We also got a 25L Ariston storage heater. I didn't take a photo of my WC, because I didn't think to do so at the time; but unfortunately due to space constraints in the toilet, we had to forgo my dream 1-piece bowl, as my toilet is only 1.2m across (dammit, HDB!), and both my hb and I are tall; in particular, I have long legs. As I intend to put my sink opposite the loo, the last thing I really want is to keep banging my knees into my sink each time I get up.

i wanted to have a rainshower too but wife say don't want :~

Eh?! Why she don't want?

another reason is that my toilet is also very small.. lol

Most HDB toilets are... dunno who is the champion who design all the HDB toilets until so small... dunno who he think is using the toilets lor... hobbits?!

Eh?! Why she don't want?

Most HDB toilets are... dunno who is the champion who design all the HDB toilets until so small... dunno who he think is using the toilets lor... hobbits?!

coz will need to run additional water pipes and she don't want to spend more $$$. lol

maybe the designer is small-sized. think next time i might be knocking in either the basin or shower head. lol