Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
yuene

Haus Of Yuene

Haha! We're all so broke after renovations... Might not be able to get my bed, if they run out of stock first though... and yes, pinkhubby is quite garang (but only sometimes)!

i think ikea won't run out of stocks that fast. they should be stocking up on items since it's almost year end. :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

**** week is over at work! Urgh, the downside of being a conference organiser... So now is a good time for updates!

Day 27: I will be right here waiting for you...

We instructed the vendors to deliver the goods on 25 September; I tried to get everything delivered as close a timing as possible so that I wouldn't spend too much time waiting, but of course things hardly ever turn out the way you want it, doesn't it? On top of that, I had to wait for the electrician as well. So in a nutshell, I spent a lot of time shaking my legs and hanging around a dusty, plaster-y house. Just as well I came prepared with a copy of the newspaper, or else I wouldn't be able to sit at all.

Asia Excel came with my storage heater, toilet bowl and shower set first. They were the earliest to arrive; in fact, they gave me a call at 9am to ask if I would be at my house to receive the goods at 9.30am. I was still at my mum's house, so I requested them to arrive at 11am, and quickly travelled down to my house. They were there at 10.45am, and I inspected the goods. They were shortly followed by lightings.com.sg, and the deliveryman painstakingly went through each item with me. After that, I decided to go for lunch, as Electrolux had messaged to change the timing from 10-12 to 2-4.

I returned at 2pm, and waited for my contractor and the electrician to arrive. The former arrived at 2.15pm, and we went through thoroughly where each lighting and electrical point would be located. We later walked through it again with the electrician.

And then...

So everyone else left, and only pinkhubby and myself were left in the house. 4pm came and went, and there was no sign of the Electrolux delivery person. I waited until 4.30pm, and then called the number they had messaged me with. "Oh, we will come at 5.30, very sorry, we couldn't find one of the houses". Rolling my eyes, I settled down to wait some more. 5.30pm came and went, and STILL no sign of the delivery person. Getting impatient, I called them again. "Oh very sorry, we will be there at 6pm, sorry ah, this delivery got a lot of problems". They finally show up at 6.20pm, by which time I am almost near boiling point. Swallowing my annoyance, I inspect my hob closely and sign off on it.

Day 28: More shopping

We still had a small balance of items to purchase, such as the bathroom sink and tap, kitchen sink and tap, and some bathroom accessories. So after church, we popped down to Poh Joo at Jln Besar to get our sink and taps. We managed to get those pretty fast, but they did not have the corner sink that I had eyed from the start of the reno until now. Remembering that we could get it at Sim Siang Choon, we decided to rely on Google maps for directions to the nearest. BIG MISTAKE. We walked all the way down to Kallang, only to realise that the building that we stood outside had NO SSC! sigh, technology FAIL. So we ended up taking a cab down to Balestier to where I knew there was a SSC, and we got my sink and bathroom accessories there instead. We also ended up purchasing a hood in the end, an Elica.

Agreeing that it would be too much effort to come down one more time just to buy the fans, we headed down Balestier to look at fans. We finally found ourselves at LC Lighting Centre, where we bought our fans, the Fanco Aroma FF707 and the FFM3000MS.

Day 29-40: The pace slows a bit

The pace these past 2 weeks has been a bit slower, due to a combination of factors: for one, I had been busy with a major conference that we were organising, so that took up a large part of my energy. Whatever energy remained was taken up by dance practice. Consequently, I could not keep as close an eye on the renovation as I would have liked. Then again, things haven't moved quite as quickly; or maybe it's a perception thing, since the works don't look as drastic as the hacking and tiling phase does.

But quite a few things are up now; the electrician came last Thursday and wired up the house. We met up with the carpenter over the weekend to discuss the cabinets. We chose the colours for the house (most of it will be white, but the bedroom wall behind my bed will be a nice Sandstone colour, while the study room did not get painted pink; instead, pinkhubby chose aquamarine to paint the wall at the window in. The plumber came yesterday and installed my MBR bathroom fittings!

Enough with the words... pics!

DSCN0319.jpg

Wires, wires everywhere... I was tempted to not wire up my house at all, because I would miss the pristine walls! Oh well. Much of this will be covered up by the L-box, false ceiling and the full height cabinet.

DSCN0320.jpg

That's where my dining light and one of the downlights will go.

DSCN0279.jpg

This wall is going to be a bright aquamarine!

DSCN0287.jpg

That little slightly recessed area on the right will be a Sandstone shade...

Edited by yuene

More pics!

heater.jpg

My storage heater is up! The original plan was to locate it in the other toilet, but we realised that there was not enough space...So in the end I decided to put it outside. Maybe one day I will box it up, but I doubt it.

rainshower.jpg

My rainshower set is up! ^^

Sink.jpg

As is my (as my contractor calls it) 'cute' sink and tap.

haha we can pressure him to do the cleaning once your reno is done!

Eeeks! I'd rather he not--well, at least not for some things. It's one of those cases of 越帮越忙at times. I'll thank him to clear the kitty litter, fold the clothes and help me sweep the floors (and of course, keep his study room neat and tidy). Anything else, I think I'd better handle it instead... UNLESS he is otherwise ordered! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *evil maniacal laughter*

Hi Yuene,

Thanks for providing me with your contractor's contact details. It's a pity he won't be able to help me as I would by supplying my own tiles.

Thanks for your help anyway :)

No problem, payton. Good luck for your reno!

i think ikea won't run out of stocks that fast. they should be stocking up on items since it's almost year end. :D

I hope not!!! I'm a bit worried because we had gone in July to see if it was available, and it had been sold out, and stocks would only come in early September. So I'm a bit worried that it would have been reserved by then, and when I get there, it will be too late to buy!

Eeeks! I'd rather he not--well, at least not for some things. It's one of those cases of 越帮越忙at times. I'll thank him to clear the kitty litter, fold the clothes and help me sweep the floors (and of course, keep his study room neat and tidy). Anything else, I think I'd better handle it instead... UNLESS he is otherwise ordered! WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *evil maniacal laughter*

I actually know exactly what you mean!!!! When we were moving fiancee was stuck in Europe coz of the ash cloud, blessing in disguise! I could slowly unpack the boxes without someone saying shirts don't have to be straight, there is no point in putting plates and bowls in the same cupboard etc!

he even got upset I organized his wardrobe!!!

I dropped by yesterday to take a look at the works and to deposit my extra items, and while I was there, I noticed something-- the pipes in the MBR bathroom for the shower aren't quite parallel... it's not super off, but you can see that the gap between the two pipes at the top is wider than at the bottom. The more suay bian part of me says to leave it, but my OCD says to highlight this to get it corrected. What do you think?

patsy: ! Why would anyone be upset that their wardrobe is being organised?? Some more free service lor! :S

True, I wish someone would organize my wardrobe.

I dropped by yesterday to take a look at the works and to deposit my extra items, and while I was there, I noticed something-- the pipes in the MBR bathroom for the shower aren't quite parallel... it's not super off, but you can see that the gap between the two pipes at the top is wider than at the bottom. The more suay bian part of me says to leave it, but my OCD says to highlight this to get it corrected. What do you think?

Get it corrected.

patsy: ! Why would anyone be upset that their wardrobe is being organised?? Some more free service lor! :S

True, I wish someone would organize my wardrobe.

because some people has a method to their madness (aka messiness) and when i organized it, they couldn't find anything!!!

i've actually once wanted to start an organizing business (they're quite popular in the US) but wasn't sure if there is demand here!

Get it corrected.

Yeah, I decided that my OCPD would ensure that it would be an eyesore for the rest of my life. I've msged my contractor to ask for it to be corrected.

because some people has a method to their madness (aka messiness) and when i organized it, they couldn't find anything!!!

Yes, that's precisely what my eldest sister said the other day when I went to her room and nearly screamed in horror. She is sooooo messy! I used to think my mum was just picking on her until I really saw the mess and I near-fainted on the spot, because it was literally piles of papers, books, bags and clothes and what-not have you... OMG I swore to myself that I would never let my sister move in with me EVER!

Yes, that's precisely what my eldest sister said the other day when I went to her room and nearly screamed in horror. She is sooooo messy! I used to think my mum was just picking on her until I really saw the mess and I near-fainted on the spot, because it was literally piles of papers, books, bags and clothes and what-not have you... OMG I swore to myself that I would never let my sister move in with me EVER!

sometimes I wonder if there is a right and wrong to it though... should it be live and let live?

sometimes I wonder if there is a right and wrong to it though... should it be live and let live?

I know la, but sometimes it's just... very jarring... I mean, even I tend to be messy at times, but hers is... WOW.... o_O

Just thankful that pinkhubby is not all that messy, though he tends to throw clothes any-old-where... I have a horror story about one time I mistook his dirty clothes for clean ones, but I shall refrain from sharing that story....

Edited by yuene

I know la, but sometimes it's just... very jarring... I mean, even I tend to be messy at times, but hers is... WOW.... o_O

Just thankful that pinkhubby is not all that messy, though he tends to throw clothes any-old-where... I have a horror story about one time I mistook his dirty clothes for clean ones, but I shall refrain from sharing that story....

i get what you mean too.. I too have OCPD, to the point where my towels need to be folded the exact same way, the cans in my pantry must be arranged by height and must have all the labels facing front... imagine living with someone who can find 2 wk old ice cream wrappers in his jean pocket!!!

don't get me started on dirty clothes mixed with clean ones... our helper now intercepts him when he goes to put clothes inito the closet and takes his clothes away with her to wash....

btw, how's the reno going?? how long more before hand over?