Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ALAN1388

3 Room In Amk

but design wise, u got to be clear what u want.

should be "got to be clear what u NEED"..... :P

Wants and Needs are very different wor....

wants = have a desire to possess or do something

needs = require something that is essential and important :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
should be "got to be clear what u NEED"..... :P

Wants and Needs are very different wor....

wants = have a desire to possess or do something

needs = require something that is essential and important :)

well, in this case it's both a want and a need. cos u hv to know what u want in the design before u can talk to the contractor, no?

the basic structure will be what u NEED and the outlook is what u WANT.

I rest my case.

no hard feelings sis samgalz.....buta sometimes really difficult to draw the line clearly lor, if i were to leave the old cabinet alone, everyday the very sight of it irritates me, true enuf i may have save some $$$, but see liao oso cake sim.... haaaa

well, in this case it's both a want and a need. cos u hv to know what u want in the design before u can talk to the contractor, no?

the basic structure will be what u NEED and the outlook is what u WANT.

I rest my case.

If no money to Cover the NEED, dun think of the WANT liao. For example, if the wiring is more than 20 years old, it is a need to rewire the place for safety reasons. If the toliet piping is more than 20 years old, it is a need to change them too (for me lah)..

I will identify the things that die die need to change or else the house will cease to function properly or hazards. That is the main need.

Then look into functional need, for example sinks, toilet bowls, lightings etc..

Then consider the aesthetics.

alright....first of all, to all who still hold onto the belief that IDs are more expensive than contractors....pls pls pls....throw that MISCONCEPTION away. i just bought a 3-rm flat and gave my floorplan to no fewer than 9 IDs/contractors mixed. Quotations from ALL the contractors were higher than the cheapest ID. And some of the contractors even used their "cheap" package to offset the quotation. The price difference between the IDs' and contractors' quotes range frm $1k-$2k to as much as $5k!

And might I add, the IDs layouts and concepts were so much better than the contractors'.

My goodness....you guys prove to the world that love is all around.....many thanks for your kind advice and quick response. This is indeed time when i really need lots of advice....as we really know nothing about reno...

Ok! my bubble is burst.....sounds like my wish list is not attainable.

below are my scaled down dream list:

- the basics (repainting+plastering+acid wash.....etc) - Only repainting

- change tiles for entire house - change floor tiles for entire house, and have wall tiles only for toilet...is this doable?

- build updated kitchen cabinet - i will try my best to talk my empress to accept...the outdated cabinet....am i right that changing cabinet in future will be easier than tiles?

- build msbr build in waredrop - i think this got to do la hor....

- overhaul the 2 toilets - this one i think also cannot run

- build up a store room (ex owner hacked it) - this one cannot run also...

- rewiring (do you guys think its needed? since it was last done 5 yrs ago) - i hope that i can skip this one as well. (the wiring of my existing house...was done...in 1978 when my parents took over the house hahah...and its hardly giving us any problem at all....so i think this one should be able to survive ba)

Do you guys think its better? Do you think an inexperience person like me can skip ID and manage the contractors by myself?

Life is always challenging for people like us..our initial plan was to save like **** for 5 yrs so that we can have a decent house and reasonable wedding (in dec) and we dont wish to incurr more debts (i am already owing debts for my studies)...now come COV (yes,,,more debts)...i really dont wish to go into more loans....or my life will be worst than slave.

I would suggest you spend your budget on works that are super-difficult to do when you're staying in the flat. Things like changing floor/wall tiles (wet-works), built-in kitchen cabinets, toilets, re-construct walls etc.

1a) Repainting - can save money by doing it yourself. (can do after all reno completed and before u move in)

1b) acid wash - contractor will do after they complete reno. (not advisable to do this yourself)

1c) plastering - not necessary unless u really really cannot stand the sight of those "bricks" outline of old flats.

2a) floor tiles - do them NOW.

2b) wall tiles only for toilets - doable. kitchen wall can use paint. dirty after a few yrs, just re-paint yourself, save money.

3) kitchen cabinet - do NOW.

4) MBR wardrobe - buy those big, 2nd-hand ones frm factory outlets. u'll be surprised at their condition. i bought a 6ft, 4-dr casement wardrobe(2nd-hand) back in 2005 for $100. Still in good condition and still using it now. So u can save $$ by doing this for nw, and when u hv the $$, get those Lumiera (i think its the correct spelling) wardrobe or do a built-in via a contractor. it won't be as messy so it's doable.

5) overhaul 2 toilets - do them NOW.

6) build up store room - do u really need a store room? if yes, no choice, do NOW. if not, save $$ by not building unneccesarily.

7) rewiring - again, do u really nd to re-position your electrical switches and sockets. if yes, again no choice, do NOW. if not, can save between $2k-$4k, depending on hw extensive is your re-run.

as for furnitures, make do wif minimal furnitures for now. no bed, nvm, put mattress on floor. no sofa, its ok, get cushions n sit on floor. no tv console, put tv on floor (since sitting on floor, same level when watching tv, is ok).

cos u have limited resource, it's ok to do things temporary for furnishings. i've been there, done that, for my current place. slowly, buy 2nd-hand bargains, wait for Ikea sale or some other factory outlet sale for those storage cabinets etc. u'll be surprised, some things tt we think we must have....might not actually be that critical. we can actually live without them for quite a while.i still dun hv a bed after 7yrs. benefit of mattress on floor - when not sleeping, can just put d mattress up against the wall and walah, u have free floor space to walk around.

just my 2 cents' worth. hope it helps in your budgeting and considerations.

Edited by manutd1972

Hello Alan1388,

Welcome to RT, so nice to another fellow 3-roomer. Just to share; I would be getting my keys the following week as well, same time as you.

Like curryqueen, my budget was $25k, but slowly ballooned to $30k liaoz. And I hope that it stops there *pray pray*

Manutd1927 brought some good advices; with all these in mind I'm sure you can sustain $13k, (only reno; w/o fittings.)

A forumer; stray801 did that with that kinda of budget

You really need to access the current condition of your flat, consider what is necessary; if you deamed if the current stuffs is useable or still up to your standards;

E.g kitchen cabinet-just change the laminates of the cabinet doors;

For flooring; I'm not certain what's your current condition; if parquet-you may just polish it, Tiles-you may choose to respray; engaging faithcoat like gimz63251073

alternatively you may overlay with laminates (if current floor is 1st layer).

Generally things involving hacking and carpentry would cost more.

my 2-cents worth

I would suggest you spend your budget on works that are super-difficult to do when you're staying in the flat. Things like changing floor/wall tiles (wet-works), built-in kitchen cabinets, toilets, re-construct walls etc.

1a) Repainting - can save money by doing it yourself. (can do after all reno completed and before u move in)

1b) acid wash - contractor will do after they complete reno. (not advisable to do this yourself)

1c) plastering - not necessary unless u really really cannot stand the sight of those "bricks" outline of old flats.

2a) floor tiles - do them NOW.

2b) wall tiles only for toilets - doable. kitchen wall can use paint. dirty after a few yrs, just re-paint yourself, save money.

3) kitchen cabinet - do NOW.

4) MBR wardrobe - buy those big, 2nd-hand ones frm factory outlets. u'll be surprised at their condition. i bought a 6ft, 4-dr casement wardrobe(2nd-hand) back in 2005 for $100. Still in good condition and still using it now. So u can save $$ by doing this for nw, and when u hv the $$, get those Lumiera (i think its the correct spelling) wardrobe or do a built-in via a contractor. it won't be as messy so it's doable.

5) overhaul 2 toilets - do them NOW.

6) build up store room - do u really need a store room? if yes, no choice, do NOW. if not, save $$ by not building unneccesarily.

7) rewiring - again, do u really nd to re-position your electrical switches and sockets. if yes, again no choice, do NOW. if not, can save between $2k-$4k, depending on hw extensive is your re-run.

as for furnitures, make do wif minimal furnitures for now. no bed, nvm, put mattress on floor. no sofa, its ok, get cushions n sit on floor. no tv console, put tv on floor (since sitting on floor, same level when watching tv, is ok).

cos u have limited resource, it's ok to do things temporary for furnishings. i've been there, done that, for my current place. slowly, buy 2nd-hand bargains, wait for Ikea sale or some other factory outlet sale for those storage cabinets etc. u'll be surprised, some things tt we think we must have....might not actually be that critical. we can actually live without them for quite a while.i still dun hv a bed after 7yrs. benefit of mattress on floor - when not sleeping, can just put d mattress up against the wall and walah, u have free floor space to walk around.

just my 2 cents' worth. hope it helps in your budgeting and considerations.

Harros, welcome to RT!

When I first started out, my budget was about $20K. My renovation cost is now about $30K, excluding furniture and lights.

Like all the others said, do only the essentials first.

Whole house do laminate, cheaper than tiles coz less manpower and no need to hack. Kitchen floor tiles, spray paint (like gimz) or cement screed (like me).

Kitchen cabinet, see if can just change the doors to give it an updated look.

Rewiring if it's still the original HDB wires (like mine), better for you to rewire for safety purposes.

Carpentery will kill you,so I would advise against building the MBR wardrobe if you are tight on cash. Tell your empress can only have 1: Kitchen cabinet or built in wardrobe.. :D

Show us your pics

HI Curryqueen!

Honestly i am trying extremly hard to ensure that i stay within 15K. higher renovating cost go....the less i have for furnitures and electronic etc...(which is sadly about $10K :bangwall: )

after reading from you guys, i think i got to priorities the things i got to do first.

but for now....i will try to get some ID and contractors and see their quote.....from there...deduct accordingly lor....

what you thnk of my up hill strategy? :sport-smiley-018:

Edited by ALAN1388

welcome ALAN to RT. Yeap, love is all around here.

from your case, I think u can go contractor and not ID....if u can manage time, go sub contractor direct and coordinate urself like what gimz did. if not get a main contractor and he do coordinating for u. but design wise, u got to be clear what u want. like my case, i go main con. u might consider overlaying tiles then u save a little on hacking. but provided ur tiles can be overlay. talk to more contractors and compare prices.

kitchen cabinet, depending on ur exisiting one's condition. if condition is bad, changing is a must. if not, live with it. it definitely easier to change then tiles. ;)

by rite, ur wiring can wait. mine 8 yrs old, contractor say no need to change.

prioritize is very impt for u rite now. good luck!

Hi Samgalz!

i agree with you...(especially when my budget is pitiful)

Thanks for your kind advice.

Maybe u can look for a contractor then see if can do within the budget.

Do essential stuff first. Maybe u can show us some present pics. IFor my place i wanted to change whole hse flooring, after budgeting, only laminate in 2 bedrooms, 2 toilets and kitchen tiles. Budget only 30K but now is more than 40k (exclude furnishing)

There are quite a few recommended contractors ard in RT, can check with the forumers

Hi Gals Mama,

....i am now very very doubtful liao.....and very scared...

the thing about my wish to change the tiles and the kitchen cabinet...in spite of them being really useable....is that i know i wont be please with them...and in time to come (especailly the tiles) it will be nearly impossible to change...

we are not creative people who have lovely ideas for their home...for us...we really just like to have a simple, spacious and comfortable house....but....TOTO failed to touch me last night....and my situation is still the same :bangwall:

so you are right! Prioritise! :thumbs up:

if have time and no $ (like me), can try to coordinate yourself actually. Provided like samgalz says u know what you want. Also depends on your job, can take leave easily..?

Personally i did sub-con quite a few of my stuff...yesh its really tiring and if you look at it on a job basis (i.e. change windows) u probably save just a little bit. But it all adds up!

btw, ur budget seems to exclude quite a lot of things...liek lightings, fans, air-con, sanitary, hobs...etc..

gotta budget also...all these are necessary as well....cannot run one.

if you ever need contacts for any subcon - carpenter, electrician, plumber, door maker, window maker, painter..etc...

just shout out here, im sure u will get some replies. :)

(all of us here have some pleasant and unpleasant experiences with those, if u consolidate all, u might just as well get an all-star team!) :)

Hi Gimz,

honestly i dont have the confidence to coordinate by myself as i really have not idea what is right or wrong about renovating. i only know i have so much...i want these and that...can or not....hahah....not a good situation.

actually my budget is really just for renovating. (not including furnitres and electronics etc)

btw, can i know how long will we typically need to renov?

Hi Gimz,

honestly i dont have the confidence to coordinate by myself as i really have not idea what is right or wrong about renovating. i only know i have so much...i want these and that...can or not....hahah....not a good situation.

actually my budget is really just for renovating. (not including furnitres and electronics etc)

btw, can i know how long will we typically need to renov?

HDB gives one month reno period. but can be extended if required.

plus, repainting is easy, even plastering, just be willing to employ some elbow greast and lots of sweat!!! When I got my first place, out of stubborness (and the shock you had to pay someone $3k to plaster and paint an EA), we plastered and painted the whole house, yes, including ceilings ourselves! It can be quite fun but very very tiring!

Think you have to convince your Empress to be realistic and practical... do what is within your budget first, then slowly add. Scrounge garage sales/on line sites for used furniture that are still in good condition (lots selling here) then slowly buy new stuff as and when you have the cash!

Hi Patsy

i admire you guys. though tough, but i truely believe thats its fun and memorable....unfortunately....i dont have time and since primary sch my art and craft sucks.

thanks for the advice. i really need them

Your floorplan

my_floor_plan.jpg

all the best in your reno project :)

can read my tblog for my DIY reno of 3rm flat at 17k :D

HDB gives one month reno period. but can be extended if required.

Hi Neubie,

can i know roughly how long it takes to renovate a 3 roomo flat?

i am actually trying to plan the amount of time i can take to slowly find a good contractor or ID...and let them reno....but the reno got to complete by my wedding in early dec.

Hello Alan1388,

Welcome to RT, so nice to another fellow 3-roomer. Just to share; I would be getting my keys the following week as well, same time as you.

Like curryqueen, my budget was $25k, but slowly ballooned to $30k liaoz. And I hope that it stops there *pray pray*

Manutd1927 brought some good advices; with all these in mind I'm sure you can sustain $13k, (only reno; w/o fittings.)

A forumer; stray801 did that with that kinda of budget

You really need to access the current condition of your flat, consider what is necessary; if you deamed if the current stuffs is useable or still up to your standards;

E.g kitchen cabinet-just change the laminates of the cabinet doors;

For flooring; I'm not certain what's your current condition; if parquet-you may just polish it, Tiles-you may choose to respray; engaging faithcoat like gimz63251073

alternatively you may overlay with laminates (if current floor is 1st layer).

Generally things involving hacking and carpentry would cost more.

my 2-cents worth

Hi Dexufto!

Thanks for your advice :)

in my case...we cannot allow it to balloon or we will not even have TV at home haha..

after all the advice from all the lovely pple here....honestly...my bubble is burst..so now got to scale down and get the essentials first...