Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
citygirl

A&a On Inter-terrace House

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I read somewhere in this forum about contractors not registered with bca but are building hses. Maybe that explains why so cheap!! If this is true, soooo scary.

But seriously, my understanding is all builders/contractors have to be bca registered, otherwise the archi can't pass through the documentation submission to bca. Construction work cannot start until bca approves.

Thks chaorui for your input. No choice, have to use micro piles n indeed piling is quite extensive in my case as soil condition is poor.

A big part of most rebuilding cost goes to the building structure including roof. So, even for a hse of say 3500sf built-in with reasonable fittings, I agree it's difficult to rebuild at 0.5m (final price) by today's prices (unless u hv connections). 1m appears to be the norm now judging by a few friends' feedback and city girl's experience.

500k all in to rebuild is not possible I dun think.

But there are contractors floating around who dun have BCA. One assured me that he had but I could not find his company name so I dropped him from the tender. Another told me that his friend will lend him a registered name. That worried me because if things go wrong, who is liable? His friend? So odd.

Since we are on this topic and we all know the costs involved is in '000 Ks.

Can anyone advise on the type of loans available to finance such a project? and the rates approximate?

Hi pantieileen,

Sorry to say that your place looks like more than 30 years old design. U are doing conservation works:P?

What will be the estimated cost to do up your place? What are the works done?

Since we are on this topic and we all know the costs involved is in '000 Ks.

Can anyone advise on the type of loans available to finance such a project? and the rates approximate?

Wow, honestly, I don't really know. I know there are reno loans offered by the bank but I believe you can only borrow something like 6x your monthly salary, and at very high interest rates. So that wouldn't be a good route to take. Perhaps you can raise the money by mortgaging the house?

Wow, honestly, I don't really know. I know there are reno loans offered by the bank but I believe you can only borrow something like 6x your monthly salary, and at very high interest rates. So that wouldn't be a good route to take. Perhaps you can raise the money by mortgaging the house?

Heard there is 'construction loan' from one of the forumer before. Thou interest is higher, it can be converted to home loan once the construction completed.

Not exactly sure about the details on how that loan works. Best to give the bank a call.

Heard there is 'construction loan' from one of the forumer before. Thou interest is higher, it can be converted to home loan once the construction completed.

Not exactly sure about the details on how that loan works. Best to give the bank a call.

Yes, you are right. The setback is the bank typically give out only 55% to 70% of the construction amount as loan. The rest of the money has to be from own cash. After construction has been completed, the bank could convert the construction loan which attracts a higher interest into the housing loan which charges lower interests. After the house has been completed, homeowners could also use CPF to repay the housing loan, thereby reducing the cash payment every month.

If anyone needs help on construction loan, you can contact the relationship managers of banks to ask for assistance or you can pm me. I can introduce you to my friend who is in mortgage consultancy for a no obligation discussion on your loan needs and plans that are available.

Cheers!

Here is blogpost 5 on making a CCTV video of the public sewer line. If a public sewer runs through your property, please ensure that you do this before any soil works are begun. You need a pre-condition video and a post-condition video.

http://petunialee.blogspot.com/2010/11/hou...irty-video.html

Appreciate the sharing of your experiences in rebuilding the house. Cheers! :)

i did this before they removed the junk in my house. Apparently if this is not done and they found out it was PUB fault, then the poor owner (us) will have to pay to fix the sewer. Heard that it's expensive. But if it was found to be wear and tear before any work is done to the house then it'll be PUB to fix it at PUB cost.

Petunialee : i can't believe you are so hands on. I haven't even visited my house since they started work..maybe i'll pop down tomorrow. Some of my neighbors said they'll walk over and look after things for me but i wonder if they really come.

Now I'm getting really nervous; don't know if I will have the time, and energy, to be as hands on as Petunialee. And even if I did, I don't think I have a meticulous eye for detail. Sigh!

So I have also made up my mind and will go with my original award-winning architect. After conversing with him a couple of times and talking to others, I still feel most comfortable with him. He builds beautiful houses, and I want a beautiful house! ;)

But this forum has given me invaluable advice and I think I'm approaching it with more knowledge than before. Thanks to all and I will share on this forum when my project kicks off too!