Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gunbound888

Building An Additional Storey

CSC can be 6 months to 3 yrs after TOP, depending on how much outstanding issues there are. TOP basically means safe for public occupation, while CSC means the development has fully complied with govt requirements.

Normally, airwell was introduced for a reason, ventilation or light. Simply decking over usually creates some new issues. Perhaps take this time to go look see how to make it more livable. Use glass flooring for natural lighting, or might want to put in a fireman's pole for the kids/pole dancing etc.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yup will talk to the developer's contractor.

Separate agreement as in verbal agreement?

Agent said talk to contractor only after TOP.

CSC is how long after TOP?

Ok won't tell developer.

Thanks so much for the advice,yoongf! :yamseng:

Looks like what you require is an A&A requirement. If the void area is on the second floor or higher, you will need to put in the necessary structural pillars to support and this would require the help of professional engineer. No problem to do it before CSC.

Looks like what you require is an A&A requirement. If the void area is on the second floor or higher, you will need to put in the necessary structural pillars to support and this would require the help of professional engineer. No problem to do it before CSC.

Thanks.

A&A requirement?

So must get permit from whom?

Yup, it is on the second and third floor which has a void space.

Where to get enginner?

Probably better to get the contractor and engineer in charge of the development?

Thanks.

A&A requirement?

So must get permit from whom?

Yup, it is on the second and third floor which has a void space.

Where to get enginner?

Probably better to get the contractor and engineer in charge of the development?

Yes, A&A requirement. Permit primarily from BCA and URA. You can get either an architect or builder to help you. They would need to hire a professional engineer to assist you. You can get from original contractor/ engineer but you can also get from elsewhere. Just need to get hold of the drawing of the house of which BCA should have a copy, if you can't get it from the developer. There are many architects and builder around for you to choose from. You can also get recommendations from some forumers who are rebuilding their house or have just redeveloped their place.

buttercarp,

Just wondering whether have you stayed in an inter-terrace that has no airwell/skylight before. If not, you may want to reconsider whether that extra space is so critical that you really need to build a floor there. After all, its likely that you are adding to your common area only, right?

I'm bringing this up because for inter-terraces that are re-built, I see that it is quite common to include an airwell or skylight that goes all the way through from top to bottom to bring natural light into the house. If not, it can get pretty dark (and depressing), whether day or night, and you have to turn on lights even in the day.

buttercarp,

Just wondering whether have you stayed in an inter-terrace that has no airwell/skylight before. If not, you may want to reconsider whether that extra space is so critical that you really need to build a floor there. After all, its likely that you are adding to your common area only, right?

I'm bringing this up because for inter-terraces that are re-built, I see that it is quite common to include an airwell or skylight that goes all the way through from top to bottom to bring natural light into the house. If not, it can get pretty dark (and depressing), whether day or night, and you have to turn on lights even in the day.

Hi watchthewaves, I have never stayed in a landed house before.

Thanks for the advice.

This is the same advice that I got from my mother and friends, so I might abandon it.

Now I am thinking of building a room in my backyard.

My backyard is about the size of the front porch which can park 2 cars.

Any idea how do I go about it?

Thanks.

I agree with watchthewaves regarding airwell for a terraced house. The airwell design is probably the most important aspect of a terraced construction, that makes the house livable.

An airwell is not the same as a lightwell, as it not only provides natural lighting to the enclosed areas but also facilitates (and accentuates) cross ventilations for each storey.

Airwells are not equals. To make an airwell effectively, its placement & dimension should take into account the layout design of each storey.