Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LPG

20k Budget Possible For 3rm ?

hi bro, plastering and glass are both expensive items... :unsure:

frankly, if you cook a lot, it's harder to clean/maintain if kitchen is without wall tiles - something you gotta be mentally prepared of.

how about buying ready-made cabinets for room instead of custom-made? this can save quite a lot of $$ too. study table can just buy from ikea.

yeap i agree...plastering is luxury item to me as well. Didnt do it as well...

I chose not to plaster but instead to paint walls in white and choose some bright colours to "highlight" the furniture so that focus is on furnishings rather that house...

i would also prefer ready made cabinets as its cheaper and can be shifted around as needs changes.

For good deals, u can always keep dropping by the "as-is" section in IKEA. There are quite a few good buys there... saw a very solid wooden table top (around 100cm by 60cm) going for $30. Just a slight corner chip, which if u position it correctly, it cannot be seen easily...

some bookshelves also have scractches on the shelves, which will not be easily visible after u put books on it...so these are just some things u can save even more at ikea. :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

u can ask ur contractor to do adhoc plaster touchup before painting instead of comprehensive plastering to cut down costs. that's what i did for my reno. also use emulsion paints that is low-sheen type such that any uneven wall surfaces appear more diffused when light shines on them.

Hi LPG

Hope that I'm not too late to give my 2-cents worth.

Do take note of your kitchen layout then, since you mentioned that kitchen is a frequently used place.

I'm assuming you love to cook? baking and stuffs?

On that note; do factor to have those Wash&Wear Paint for these areas (we opted out kitchen wall tiles

for savings as well)

Also factor your kitchen workspace (aka preparation space), kitchen triangle and layout, these minor details

actually makes your cooking process much more plesant and enjoyable

Can check out my T-Blog for my kitchen considerations here;

LOL... what i meant was we spend alot of time in kitchen... COOKING.

and not IN the cabinet

I've gotten Pergo family laminates for my bedrooms & living Hall, costs me <$1,700.

PM me if you need the contact, ;)

thanks for another GREAT input.

Find contractor (or seperate contracto/S) to

. Do laminated flooring ---- Parquet flooring too expensive !

. Plaster up and Paint entire house

. Kitchen floor tiles (no wall tiles)

. Hack toilet into ONE toilet with glass in-between (not sure if HDB will approve or not)

. Room to have cabinets as well, childrens room to have study table

Gonna do some concept drawings and post it up :D Hope some contractor will find this thread and PM me :D

thats a gd recommendation from neubie.

u can ask ur contractor to do adhoc plaster touchup before painting instead of comprehensive plastering to cut down costs. that's what i did for my reno. also use emulsion paints that is low-sheen type such that any uneven wall surfaces appear more diffused when light shines on them.

All the best.

went down today to take some pictures. my gawd, really run-down place.

toilet main pipes all rusty and leaking, you can imagine the stinch ...

floor was horrid, OLD and discoloured laminated flooring, room floorin was even done at all.

kitchen pipes with PVC also leaking. my gawd....

ALL the walls have big patches of paint peeling off. kitchen walls and existing tiles are either

discoloured or painted over with GREEN. really terrible.

brought a contractor down just to let him see and have a feel of the place and was already

quoted 30K for a complete reno.

hi bro, plastering and glass are both expensive items... :unsure:

frankly, if you cook a lot, it's harder to clean/maintain if kitchen is without wall tiles - something you gotta be mentally prepared of.

how about buying ready-made cabinets for room instead of custom-made? this can save quite a lot of $$ too. study table can just buy from ikea.

cabinets and tables from Ikea ? no offence to those who have bought them but they Don't last at all. most of the colours doesn't go with

the theme I want, materials used are cheap and they give this crackling sound in the night.

I had bad experience with a cabinet from Ikea which keeps giving this "click" or "knock"-ing sound. **** creepy

cabinets and tables from Ikea ? no offence to those who have bought them but they Don't last at all. most of the colours doesn't go with

the theme I want, materials used are cheap and they give this crackling sound in the night.

I had bad experience with a cabinet from Ikea which keeps giving this "click" or "knock"-ing sound. **** creepy

LOL i'm just saying tables from ikea, not cabinets :P basically just one piece of table top with 4 legs mah. have been using mine for a good 8 years liao :)

my sis place is basically a Ikea house and everything still good now after 8 yrs... seems like individual experience varies :lol:

wow...if walls are green with mould...better add in sealant when painting. :)

mine place was equally run down with an army of cockroaches near the sewage pipes... oh yeah sewage pipes also change better if its rusty.

i have had good experience with ikea tables (except that i accidentally run my pen knife across it.. :P)

Had a ikea bookshelve and it would have been in good condition if not for leaking air-con which caused laminate to crack.

TV rack also hold up 29inch (fat and heavy tv) well for a 6 years.

if you customise furniture, u probably get plywood which is certainly stronger than ikea's chipwood. i also intend to duplicate a billy bookshelf when i have the time. :)

i thought ikea has tons n tons of designs....what theme are you looking at actually..?

oh my...30k..for 3 room is pretty expensive..anyway you can find separate contacts to lower your cost. Eg: Painters, carpentry, laminate flooring..

Usually the profit is taken the most from carpentry, painting, and flooring. LOL. I can give you the contacts if you are interested to get separate contractors.

some contractor followed me up, took a look at the place and said the condition was very bad and alot

of things needs to change. i was shortly quoted "roughly" 30K for practically Every Thing.

The only thing that does not need to change is the toilet windows / room windows & grille / living room window / grille

sigh... thats how bad the condition is.

Toilet condition - VERY bad and have this stench coming out. Rusty and in need of an

over haul of pipes ( most likely PVC to replace the existing metal pipe ????? )

IMG-20110110-00056.jpg

IMG-20110110-00053.jpg

some contractor followed me up, took a look at the place and said the condition was very bad and alot

of things needs to change. i was shortly quoted "roughly" 30K for practically Every Thing.

The only thing that does not need to change is the toilet windows / room windows & grille / living room window / grille

sigh... thats how bad the condition is.

From wad u described I dun think is that bad, only the toilet pipes need replacement, tiles can be acid-cleaned, doors changed… when I took over my flat, the condition on the kitchen floor is >20yo, using small mosaic tiles that is hollow when knocked… doors were damaged (ex owner is filing for divorce, fighting with wife, drama-mama).

For my place I tore down the entire unit (except wc n bathroom) and still managed to do up with about 21k excluding aircon, tv console n living room cabinets… so i think 30k is far too cutthroat price liao…

Edited by neubie

At least ur flooring more modern than mine:D. Wall tiles that one can tear down n replace with new ones or screed n smoothened with cement n paint.

At least ur flooring more modern than mine:D. Wall tiles that one can tear down n replace with new ones or screed n smoothened with cement n paint.

ya... kitchen floor is "OK" but still need to change cos there's alot of cracks and chipped off titles which can't be seen in picture

wait till you see the living room floor !