Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Hi CS..

Ur MBR layout is same as mine, see pic below, ignore the fugly trunking..

I made the installer redo the trunking in MBR FOC..

The new trunking will run on top of the window, along the upper beam, aircon unit will be shifted bit to rite.

What im disturbed is the trunking part to the MBR toilet, installer say is too thick to drill through the beam so ran across the door which will make my MBR toilet entrance 4 inch shorter.

I spoke to the installer boss, my own contractor, they oso say cannot, too thick..im so tempted to see my neighbour unit to see how they lay the aircon trunking but after seeing your pic, ur wall on top of mbr toilet door seems thinner.

2mq4215.jpg

I know some other installs where the aircon trunking is run outside. What is outside your window ?. Is it possible to go through the wall under the window and then along the outside wall and back in to the toilet thus avoiding all the internal beams ?

RB

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hey bro, everything is looking good and coming into place so far! looking forward to come to your place (we are inviting ourselves again hahaha :lol:)

i totally love the effect created by the track lights... :D

3x4W LED track lights... each piece is abt $50+ (due to LED lights)... but at least it's very energy-efficient and not too hot (compared to the generic halogen ones)... though the warmness of the halogen lights look better...

initially, i was tracking of using them more like surface mounted downlights... and i realised that having them reflecting the wall (esp a white glossy one) will have a greater lighting effect...

my father also highly recommended tracklight instead of downlights. tracklight is also cheaper than downlights for installation (e.g. 1 track is counted as 1 lighting point though you can attach 5 lights to it, but 5 downlights are counted as 5 lighting points). and good thing is you can add or reduce number of lights on the track as and when you like~ :lol:

but, if only i've read boyblunder's post abt altering the sewage pipes to switch position of the WC and wash basins, etc... i might have averted more headaches... and have better layout for my kitchen and 2 bathrooms...

oh well...

erm i remembered reading that HDB says WC location cannot be changed. even if WC location remains, you cannot change the direction of the WC (e.g. WC at the original location but facing north-south and instead of original east-west.... hope you get what i mean :P).

so, nevermind la... layout may not be optimised but at least you know you are not breaking any rules~ :D

To all those who like my bathrooms...

the credit goes to RimBlock, marshmallow and my wife...

hahaha saw my name being mentioned..... nah your bathroom is looking so much better than ours lor~ :P

Aircon fancoil unit for MBR

This is the most headache one... as after the installation was done, i was having 2nd thoughts abt the placement... it is placed directly above the door frame, and the small space was just suitable for the fancoil unit. however, i felt the cool air was not directed to the sleeping area (where the bed will be placed), nor the study table (where we'll be spending some time on, while using the computers)...

05%20MBR%20aircon%202.JPG

i was thinking, i would have put the FCU on top of the bathroom door... but i am not sure if you have any restrictions at site? :P

i have the FCU at one corner of the room cos i didn't want the wind to blow directly to our bed... may not be the most efficient but hubby and i both have bad sinus problem, i dun want to wake up having running nose all the time :P

we made a lot of changes on the FCU positions and we made Sam came down for site discussion at least 2 or 3 times. i hope Aron didn't get angry with us LOL :lol:

so all readers be forewarned; buy at lightings.com.sg at your own risk... for west-siders, just get from Chelsea lightings (near Chinese Gardens MRT)... if not, get from Chan Huat Lightings... btw, I'm referring to normal lights; if you are looking for design replicas or so... look elsewhere... :P

i got my lights from Pantech lighting (next to Chelsea Lighting). they are cheaper than Chelsea in general :)

Downlights at the tv console

16%20Downlights%20for%20living%20room%201.JPG

somehow, i felt this is a bad choice...

i intially wanted the downlights at the tv console area, so that if i need to work on the gadgets (wii, xbox, amp, blu-ray player, etc) it would be easy to see the stuffs properly (all the cables, sockets, etc)...

but i seriously doubt i'll be using them often...

i think this is okie la, you will come to appreciate the downlights when you need to organise your cables etc :)

I know some other installs where the aircon trunking is run outside. What is outside your window ?. Is it possible to go through the wall under the window and then along the outside wall and back in to the toilet thus avoiding all the internal beams ?

RB

Hi RB outside the window is external wall of HDB liao..dun tink installer can do trunking outside.. :P

My toilet door entrance will be boxed up & be shortened by 4 inches, still sufficient for me to go through,im 1.81m & still got maybe 2 inches above me, but then look bit wierd only.. guess got to live with it, consulted few parties regarding this liao.. :(

hihi! :sport-smiley-004:

overall i feel the lightings is ok.. (though i would change all to warm light, more cozy then again, cool white makes the place looks spacious and white, esp on ur hse, definitely magnify alot!)

as for the aircon, guess as its located "hidden", will takes a while to cool the room i guess.

but place there is the best place, as i feel aircon shouldn't direct blow at bed. though its cooling but bad on health.

Mine also panasonic invertor and my temp is fixed at 25degree too. :)

the first night feel its noisy, takes a while to get used and soon wont realized anything!

your kitchen looking good! as for the kerb, got to watch out abit, other than that, i'm waiting for photos of the solid surface to be up!

think will be lovely de! :)

Yup. think the lightings are ok now... have to really live it and "experience" it first... at least the light temp can changed by changing the light bulbs/tubes... but the positions can't really change le...

if got more money next time, i'll change all the lau-pok PLC from lightings.com.sg to LED ones... i told the electrician from lightings.com.sg that most of the PLC downlights i've seen, have a "flap" door, to allow easy changing of tubes, but his doesn't... and he still tells me, their PLC are the better and higher quality kind... i cannot associate stupid design with better quality... it doesn't make sense...

he told me he's surprised my electrician doesn't know how to fix it. I was like *dots*... if it's so gd in design, how can an experienced electrician not know how to install it? :bangwall:

as for the aircon, i think after hearing from the rest regarding the position, i think in terms of practicality and safety, placing above the door frame would be most ideal...

LOL... at my current place, the aircon blows at where i'm sleeping directly, hence at night, i usually just switch on for 10-15min to cool myself (with a fan blowing at me too), then i'll switch off the aircon... :P

yeah... i also think the "noise", need some getting used to... maybe i'm just over-reacting, i'll get my wife to do the "sound check" over the weekend... though I think i still prefer the mitsubishi electric starmex (it looks better in white), though the features of the panasonic ones bought me over... the patrol sensor thing...

I got a colleague who installed the mitsubishi one at his own place, and the panasonic one at his parents-in-law's place, he was telling me better get mitsubishi, but a little too late then... oh well...

i think the kitchen would be ready this week too.

the carpenter told me the works should more or less be done by this week, as only the solid surface top and glass backing need to be installed, plus re-varnishing the parquet flooring again...

somehow, i think it will still be end-June... as i vaguely remembered there's quite a list of minor defects to be resolved... and the bathroom accessories are still not installed yet (due to my request...) and touch-up plastering and painting, etc...

oh well...

Haha, all is fair in love and war....

You got your projector and she got her tiles :D.

RB

eh...

the projector and HTS are from my own budget... not part of the renovation budget... :(

she would rather i save the money for the bridal package or wedding lunch package next yr...

maybe having a projector is not the most practical (or necessary) thing to have at home (given that the cost of changing the bulbs every few years can be costly)... but it's a toy, i can't resist not to have...

she told her friends abt me splurging on these "unneeded" items... instead of getting support from her friends... they are actually excited to come over to watch movies and stuff when it's up...

my sis was asking me to subscribe to MIO TV so that, that she & her hubby can popped by to watch EPL or so (btw, i'm not a soccer fan)...

:P

Hi, The ideal place for the fancoil is on that piece of wall provided that is nothing place below the fancoil. That is mean you have made the right choice to place it above your MBR's door.

As for the coolness, I will suggest you to set it at about 20 degree when you first on the air-con, once the room is cold, you then adjust it back to maybe 23 or 24 degree to maintain the coldness. The good feature of this latest panasonic model is that it has a airflow direction control (automatic up,down,left and right. Most of the brands only up,down or left,right only), this feature may help you to cool every part of the room. And there is a quiet mode for you to select, try this out to see if it's help. Please feel free to contact me if you encounter any major problem with the air-con or the installation. :D

Hey Aron,

thanks for your advice.

yes... i'm impressed by the patrol sensor mode. it actually has some sort of thermal detection, which can identify the "hotspots" in the room, and direct cool air towards it...

but it's too chim le... i need to spend some time reading the user manual... so many different modes (econavi, e-ion, etc)...

and thanks for the prompt arrangement to get the installers back to fix up the minor problem...

Hi CS..

Ur MBR layout is same as mine, see pic below, ignore the fugly trunking..

I made the installer redo the trunking in MBR FOC..

The new trunking will run on top of the window, along the upper beam, aircon unit will be shifted bit to rite.

What im disturbed is the trunking part to the MBR toilet, installer say is too thick to drill through the beam so ran across the door which will make my MBR toilet entrance 4 inch shorter.

I spoke to the installer boss, my own contractor, they oso say cannot, too thick..im so tempted to see my neighbour unit to see how they lay the aircon trunking but after seeing your pic, ur wall on top of mbr toilet door seems thinner.

2mq4215.jpg

hmmm...

i suppose our wall should be the same.

anyway, the previous owner also laid the trunking in the similar manner, and there is already an existing hole in the bedroom wall into the toilet, when the previous trunking was removed.

i merely re-used the same hole.

btw, the wall in the pic is half the thickness, as the glass door was installed almost in the middle of the wall...

i'll take a pic and upload tonight to show the trunking inside the MBR toilet. not the prettiest... but i can live with it..

Edited by csingeu

eh...

the projector and HTS are from my own budget... not part of the renovation budget... :(

she would rather i save the money for the bridal package or wedding lunch package next yr...

maybe having a projector is not the most practical (or necessary) thing to have at home (given that the cost of changing the bulbs every few years can be costly)... but it's a toy, i can't resist not to have...

she told her friends abt me splurging on these "unneeded" items... instead of getting support from her friends... they are actually excited to come over to watch movies and stuff when it's up...

my sis was asking me to subscribe to MIO TV so that, that she & her hubby can popped by to watch EPL or so (btw, i'm not a soccer fan)...

:P

You see, clearly a rookie mistake in marriage.

She will kindly tell you for the rest of your life that you got the projector, regardless of where the budget came from, as a special allowance. You can then counter with the fact that you go the tiles she wanted. You need to find an evening factor or you will owe for years for getting the projector. 10 years later when you discuss about getting something a bit extravagant and mention that you would never usually by something so 'out there' she will point out the projector you bought.

Women and elephants..... remember everything and are scared of mice :D.

RB

hey bro, everything is looking good and coming into place so far! looking forward to come to your place (we are inviting ourselves again hahaha :lol:)

Thanks!

Aiyo... will sure invite la, esp the west-siders. the rest are also welcome, provided they don't mind visiting the ulu West side of SG.

but likely to be in July or after; furniture coming in end-June, and we still need some time to unpack, and for my wife to "decorate/accessorize/personalize" the place...

i think it will definitely be after Lady_R's & Ely's or even Kobelala's... :P

my father also highly recommended tracklight instead of downlights. tracklight is also cheaper than downlights for installation (e.g. 1 track is counted as 1 lighting point though you can attach 5 lights to it, but 5 downlights are counted as 5 lighting points). and good thing is you can add or reduce number of lights on the track as and when you like~ :lol:

yes. reduced cost for lighting points; can be affordable if not using LED lights, but the default halogen type of light bulb is very energy-consuming and radiates a lot of heat... :P

if i'm ever going to get a new place and do renovation again... i'll go crazy on track lighting (and hopefully LED ones)... LOL...

erm i remembered reading that HDB says WC location cannot be changed. even if WC location remains, you cannot change the direction of the WC (e.g. WC at the original location but facing north-south and instead of original east-west.... hope you get what i mean :P).

so, nevermind la... layout may not be optimised but at least you know you are not breaking any rules~ :D

yah... forget it liao... too late to make drastic changes, but seriously, having the WC right in front of the glass door for the common bathroomis kind of *dumb*... maybe i should have expand the entrance to the common bathroom, by "converting" part of the un-used walkway at the 2nd level.

hahaha saw my name being mentioned..... nah your bathroom is looking so much better than ours lor~ :P

Thanks. but the bathrooms are definitely smaller la. only gd thing, both bathrooms are side by side, so they can share the storage heater, unlike your case.

one thing i regretted not specifying upfront, was to have hot water piped to my kitchen tap... think that would be useful for cleaning stubborn stains...

i was thinking, i would have put the FCU on top of the bathroom door... but i am not sure if you have any restrictions at site? :P

i have the FCU at one corner of the room cos i didn't want the wind to blow directly to our bed... may not be the most efficient but hubby and i both have bad sinus problem, i dun want to wake up having running nose all the time :P

we made a lot of changes on the FCU positions and we made Sam came down for site discussion at least 2 or 3 times. i hope Aron didn't get angry with us LOL :lol:

i think that was one of the locations we've considered, but somehow, it ended up at the area above the bedroom door. maybe coz it's more "concealed" there... oh well...

i got my lights from Pantech lighting (next to Chelsea Lighting). they are cheaper than Chelsea in general :)

yah... actually lesson is: get the normal/common lights from the neighbourhood lighting shops ard your place.

i think this is okie la, you will come to appreciate the downlights when you need to organise your cables etc :)

probably... will need to "live-in" before practicality or design mistakes kick us in the shin...

hmmm...

i suppose our wall should be the same.

anyway, the previous owner also laid the trunking in the similar manner, and there is already an existing hole in the bedroom wall into the toilet, when the previous trunking was removed.

i merely re-used the same hole.

btw, the wall in the pic is half the thickness, as the glass door was installed almost in the middle of the wall...

i'll take a pic and upload tonight to show the trunking inside the MBR toilet. not the prettiest... but i can live with it..

Thanks, this is the biggest trunking in the mbr toilet for me, which will be drilled to 2nd floor passage way to connect to the other 2 rooms. There is another small trunking running downwards along side the shower screen for drainage..

34s4674.jpg

I only have nitemare about the shortened height glass door..sianz.. :furious:

Im not sure how urs is runned in mbr..

i think it will definitely be after Lady_R's & Ely's or even Kobelala's... :P

one thing i regretted not specifying upfront, was to have hot water piped to my kitchen tap... think that would be useful for cleaning stubborn stains...

Mine will only be end of September..meanwhile I just take my time to unpack and decorate the house :)

As for hot water pipe to kitchen area..you will need another storage heater to be install at 1st level. This is what my contarctor told me..so currently I'm using 2 storage heater 35L (MBR & Common Toilet) & 15L (Kitchen Only)

Mine will only be end of September..meanwhile I just take my time to unpack and decorate the house :)

As for hot water pipe to kitchen area..you will need another storage heater to be install at 1st level. This is what my contarctor told me..so currently I'm using 2 storage heater 35L (MBR & Common Toilet) & 15L (Kitchen Only)

Dats 1 of my regret too, not installing storage heater for 1st floor toilet & kitchen, coz the kitchen water tap i bought have hot & cold hose.

Huh, your ID run out of pipe ?. Cold water has to go to storage water heater upstairs so hot water can come down also with another pipe using same route. Very strange. I can guarantee it can be done and it would be fine if connected in a sensible way. Would be interested what excuse your ID gave ?. Can even wire the power switch for two points if needed like the light switch up and down stairs.

RB

Huh, your ID run out of pipe ?. Cold water has to go to storage water heater upstairs so hot water can come down also with another pipe using same route. Very strange. I can guarantee it can be done and it would be fine if connected in a sensible way. Would be interested what excuse your ID gave ?. Can even wire the power switch for two points if needed like the light switch up and down stairs.

RB

I actually told contractor 1 storage heater to run 3 toilets, he told me need additional pipe down & he scared in future ceiling might leak...i hear liao i gave up the idea but i tink back i should have gone for it coz toilet above got shower screen so not the whole toilet be wet oso quoted me additional $60 only per hot point.

I actually told contractor 1 storage heater to run 3 toilets, he told me need additional pipe down & he scared in future ceiling might leak...i hear liao i gave up the idea but i tink back i should have gone for it coz toilet above got shower screen so not the whole toilet be wet oso quoted me additional $60 only per hot point.

Thinking about it, drilling through the floor for a hot pipe may worry some contractors especially if the bathroom waterproofing already done. There should be no issue if the bathrooms not already done. One cold water pipe already upstairs can work with no leak so what is the problem with two ?.

I think some are just reluctant. There is no technical reason I am aware of as to why you cannot have the hot water from one storage heater up and down stairs.

RB