Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Yeah we did the same then threw the extra copies as the carrot then hit them with the stick 8| of take the carrot or get bare minimum. Luckily they liked my carrot so I could put the stick away.

Considering we don't usually do the whole wedding boutique thing in the west with the photos etc, it is a major expense above what we would already pay for a wedding. Worth it though as some of the photos are very nice.

RB

my cousin is married to a Dane. they had a seaside buffet dinner (with space for "dancing floor" :D), and just took some photos around the hotel where they had the dinner. i guess pre-wedding photoshoot is quite an Asian thing? :P

i believe there are plenty of pple who would be happy to forego the wedding banquet if not for the parents.........

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

my cousin is married to a Dane. they had a seaside buffet dinner (with space for "dancing floor" :D), and just took some photos around the hotel where they had the dinner. i guess pre-wedding photoshoot is quite an Asian thing? :P

i believe there are plenty of pple who would be happy to forego the wedding banquet if not for the parents.........

Yeah, it is all about the 'face' thing again for the parents.

We tend to have a wedding ceremony, a special friends and family lunch then some drinking and dancing, then dinner (possibly buffet) with friends, then out for a night on the town. Can make the wedding night a bit of a 'let down' if your not careful though :o:D.

RB

Yeah, it is all about the 'face' thing again for the parents.

We tend to have a wedding ceremony, a special friends and family lunch then some drinking and dancing, then dinner (possibly buffet) with friends, then out for a night on the town. Can make the wedding night a bit of a 'let down' if your not careful though :o:D.

RB

my parents are actually quite opened about going without banquet, but mom gently reminded that "we should still have a nice dinner with close relatives and friends". after counting, their "close relatives and friends" already made up 8 tables, so we might as well have a wedding banquet~ :lol:

but i know of friends who were "forced" to have a banquet and have to cough out additional money cos the parents are not going give ang pao money from their friends back to their children (easily a few thousand bucks!). one friend almost cried when she talked about this additional financial stress on her :(

oh ya think most top up in the range of 2~3k... 1k only enough for ~12 photos :jawdrop:

another choice is go to JB bridal shop... same price but in Ringgit.... LOL :P

nowadays the cheapest package i have heard is $2688~2788. pple typically pay about 2k to get all the unedited softcopies.

it's still the same... the shop will still try to persuade you to pay as much as possible... your negotiation of 1 hr is considered quite good liao. i know of pple who negotiated over repeated visits to the shop to achieve the same result :lol:

our strategy is to choose only 1~3 photos from the same background... one should be able to keep within the package number of photos with this strategy... cos even if you get all the softcopies back, you'd realise a lot of shots look repeated, so no point to pay so much for similar photos ;)

I cannot agree more, Marshy. That's why most of the bridal packages allow 6 outfits or more for the photoshoot so that you'd be more inclined to pick more photos. I've heard of one girl who paid 30k for ALL the pictures because she was unable to choose and thought all of them were gorgeous. That's ridiculously stupid I think, because no one ever flips through the silly album, except perhaps for the first year when guests come over. And I bet no one flips through it in the midst of an argument so you can relive those sweet moments~ :rolleyes: What I can't stand is the "once in a lifetime" sales pitch. In the end, picked a bridal studio without any of the packages - just the dresses (only 3, and a Tux for him), and I hire the rest of what I need (makeup artist, flowers, photographer etc) myself. Still pretty hefty on the wallet but it's worth it, I think - everything is customised to your needs instead of following a pre-determined list.

I chose NOT having an album AT ALL, or videography, or studio shots. Only ONE canvas print to grace the bathroom (haha!) or WIW. We do get a DVD of some 60 or more edited pics but that's enough for me. Our bulk of the money for the photoshoot goes to the "extras" they give us, like 30 canvases on easels for the reception, 2 photographers (actually now 3) on the Actual Day, a photographer manning the photobooth with instant printing for 3hrs during the banquet, and very flexible timing for the pre-wedding shoot (abt 10-12hrs) with 2 fashion stylists at hand, a photo montage of the pre-wedding shoot and a box of edited prints.

I'm using that 3k for the album for a 4-piece band instead. :P Will definitely update RT with wedding prep too (since I'm not active on the Singaporebrides forum :P)

- Ely

my parents are actually quite opened about going without banquet, but mom gently reminded that "we should still have a nice dinner with close relatives and friends". after counting, their "close relatives and friends" already made up 8 tables, so we might as well have a wedding banquet~ :lol:

but i know of friends who were "forced" to have a banquet and have to cough out additional money cos the parents are not going give ang pao money from their friends back to their children (easily a few thousand bucks!). one friend almost cried when she talked about this additional financial stress on her :(

Ugh. I hate that. It's sometimes also "ugly" when the bride's parents insist on keeping the money, and having two separate red packet boxes. I'm glad my parents are more than happy to have only one ang pow box and not negotiate "terms" like dowry. They, in fact, insisted on none (omgah their daughter worth nothing!! :~ ).

Some people even give newspaper or magazine pages in red packets >< Or grossly underestimate the financial strain of a banquet (family of 5 giving $50 etc). I'm totally understanding and empathetic if they simply don't have the means, and I'd appreciate ANY gesture they give, but these are the well-to-do ones :( Some suggested doing it the "Hong Kong" style by opening each red packet as it is given and recording the amount of money into the guest register to prevent such inconsiderate acts, but I'm not sure if it's tactless. :( Seems awfully mean to me.

However, it's been said that MOST weddings do "earn" or at least break even to cover the banquet cost. I'm pretty certain mine won't be one of them as FIL has insisted on exquisite menu. He's, however, picking up the tab, and I want them to be happy (despite shark's fin on the menu) as The Husband is their only son. :bangwall:

Btw, how did csingeu's t-blog become a discussion on wedding banquets and preparations?! Sorry csingeu!

- Ely

haha csingeu's blog become a wedding blog!!

we only got ROM ...hold a solemnisation at keppel club with the seaview at the back drop. then proceed to peony jade for lunch..dun intend to have wedding dinner. too hassle. in laws are quite ok with it even though he is the only son with 2 sisters. intending to go for our honeymoon though..heee not yet decided yet, either europe or the states! wait till our reno finish first!

haha csingeu's blog become a wedding blog!!

we only got ROM ...hold a solemnisation at keppel club with the seaview at the back drop. then proceed to peony jade for lunch..dun intend to have wedding dinner. too hassle. in laws are quite ok with it even though he is the only son with 2 sisters. intending to go for our honeymoon though..heee not yet decided yet, either europe or the states! wait till our reno finish first!

Oh thanks Joyous! I've been thinking that I'm weird for being more excited about my reno than my upcoming wedding... my colleague has even nicknamed me as a 'vietnamese bride' cos I told him that I think I'll just go n ROM 1st (to satisfy HDB requirements), but no plans for wedding dinner. :~

Ugh. I hate that. It's sometimes also "ugly" when the bride's parents insist on keeping the money, and having two separate red packet boxes. I'm glad my parents are more than happy to have only one ang pow box and not negotiate "terms" like dowry. They, in fact, insisted on none (omgah their daughter worth nothing!! :~ ).

- Ely

ely, your parents dont see you as for sale cos you're priceless la! better than my in laws who offered some ridiculous low amount that my mum didnt even want it cos she also view me as not for sale since i am priceless to her, lol

Oh thanks Joyous! I've been thinking that I'm weird for being more excited about my reno than my upcoming wedding... my colleague has even nicknamed me as a 'vietnamese bride' cos I told him that I think I'll just go n ROM 1st (to satisfy HDB requirements), but no plans for wedding dinner. :~

lol adi, i totally did the same thing as joyous except we had our rom at the rom place then held a small tea party on the sat after that. i totally didnt want the tea party but my mum said for family's sake so, that's done and dusted. all i care about is my diamond, hahaha :sport-smiley-004: oh oooops and my hb of course :rofl:

Edited by sleek

Some people even give newspaper or magazine pages in red packets >< Or grossly underestimate the financial strain of a banquet (family of 5 giving $50 etc). I'm totally understanding and empathetic if they simply don't have the means, and I'd appreciate ANY gesture they give, but these are the well-to-do ones :( Some suggested doing it the "Hong Kong" style by opening each red packet as it is given and recording the amount of money into the guest register to prevent such inconsiderate acts, but I'm not sure if it's tactless. :( Seems awfully mean to me.

However, it's been said that MOST weddings do "earn" or at least break even to cover the banquet cost. I'm pretty certain mine won't be one of them as FIL has insisted on exquisite menu. He's, however, picking up the tab, and I want them to be happy (despite shark's fin on the menu) as The Husband is their only son. :bangwall:

Btw, how did csingeu's t-blog become a discussion on wedding banquets and preparations?! Sorry csingeu!

- Ely

it's okie ba... we often turn many reno blogs into something else.............. :lol:

nah, nowadays banquets don't really earn, cos banquet prices have increased SO MUCH over the years but not the ang pao money~ no inflation nia! and i heard about this newspaper/magazine paper thing before. so scary!

just btw, not sure where you heard this "HK style" of opening red packets from. i have attended enough weddings in HK but i have never heard about this in my whole life! :P

Vietnamese bride??? i'd never have thought of that!! :lol:

lol adi, i totally did the same thing as joyous except we had our rom at the rom place then held a small tea party on the sat after that. i totally didnt want the tea party but my mum said for family's sake so, that's done and dusted. all i care about is my diamond, hahaha :sport-smiley-004: oh oooops and my hb of course :rofl:

But in a sick way, I actually want to take some wedding pics... I even have a secret shortlist of wedding photographers that I like... can't imagine how to get those pics unless I have a wedding, but then I don't want to have a wedding. Haiz, contradiction, I know.

Vietnamese bride??? i'd never have thought of that!! :lol:

Yeah, I get teased almost daily... today the joke was how come this vietnamese bride speaks such good English. I feel sorta guilty that I spend so much time (& $) on my reno/furnitures and none on my ROM/wedding. :(

Sorry for hijacking the thread to be a 'wedding angst'/'bridal blues' discussion csingeu! :ph34r:

But in a sick way, I actually want to take some wedding pics... I even have a secret shortlist of wedding photographers that I like... can't imagine how to get those pics unless I have a wedding, but then I don't want to have a wedding. Haiz, contradiction, I know.

Sorry for hijacking the thread to be a 'wedding angst'/'bridal blues' discussion csingeu! :ph34r:

what has wedding photos gotta do with having or not having a wedding la??!?! mutually exclusive, i say 150% go for the photos. people having babies, dogs or even a fling are taking photo packages to document memories, what more for a wedding which is a once in a lifetime thing. :good: i had a photographer do some journalistic style photography wedding photos which was quite a new thing way back when i got married 9 years ago, lol yah married long time liao okay, too deep into aunty-dom :P

i think csingeu is resigned to us women hijacking his thread liao, lol

ely, your parents dont see you as for sale cos you're priceless la! better than my in laws who offered some ridiculous low amount that my mum didnt even want it cos she also view me as not for sale since i am priceless to her, lol

Ha, guess I was lucky that my wifes ex hubby paid already so my wifes mum waved off 'purchase price' in order to get the black sheep to move on. As we are both black sheep (although there is very little stigma attached any more in the west on divorce) so we knew better what to look out for in each other before tying the knot. She is certainly not the black sheep any more in the family :D. Old ways not so good ways sometimes.

Agree with the photography. People should just book a session any time just to take pictures with hubby or family. Have a second wedding package but just take the photography as it may be cheaper than just paying for portrait photography. I really wanted to go to Keppel container docks and have some pics by the cranes with the wedding attire but the photographers just looked at me funny. :D

RB

what has wedding photos gotta do with having or not having a wedding la??!?! mutually exclusive, i say 150% go for the photos. people having babies, dogs or even a fling are taking photo packages to document memories, what more for a wedding which is a once in a lifetime thing. :good: i had a photographer do some journalistic style photography wedding photos which was quite a new thing way back when i got married 9 years ago, lol yah married long time liao okay, too deep into aunty-dom :P

i think csingeu is resigned to us women hijacking his thread liao, lol

I agree, sleek. Adi, I was going to get some pictures done by Eric Er (quite a veteran in the photography business) when I first hit 30 (Saturn Returns and all that~) but in the end was too shy to do so. Having photography in lovely white gowns has nothing to do with the wedding. The dinner is more for the family and parents; the pictures are for us :) Sometimes I wish I married younger so at least I'd be captured in "my prime"~ :rolleyes:

We're having an old-skool photographer as the 3rd photographer on the actual day - completely black and white photo-journalistic style in FILM and developed by himself. He's a personal friend so we're grateful for his offer.

Adi, I don't think it's sick at all! How is it perverse for us to secretly yearn to look perfectly airbrushed in a gorgeous Vera Wang gown, looking whimsical and thoughtful at a gorgeous handheld bouquet of peonies?

My only brief to the chief photographer (also part of that secret photographer list) is nothing cutesy or gimmicky or happy and cheery. Yes, he did give me a strange look when I said that, and insisted there should be *some* shots of me smiling at least~ I then tried to negotiate how many full-frontal face shots I should have (read: none) :lol:! I really pity my photographer, I'm going to be extremely difficult to work with since I go spastic every time a camera is pointed in my direction. We're hoping some wine prior to each shoot would help, and perhaps, I'll be Vogue-ing my way through the clicking. :lol:

We had a simple sit-down lunch for ROM - nothing too fancy, only for immediate family, held at garden-themed Halia in my eBay buys: white satin BCBG dress, Vivienne Westwood chunky pearl bracelet, green satin heels :P

Don't have to feel guilty Adi - just do it as simple as you wish, and have your photographs too! I never understood the saying "having your cake and eating it too" - if I have cake, I'm definitely eating it, wth? :dunno:

- Ely

P.S. Poor csingeu :rofl:

Agree with the photography. People should just book a session any time just to take pictures with hubby or family. Have a second wedding package but just take the photography as it may be cheaper than just paying for portrait photography. I really wanted to go to Keppel container docks and have some pics by the cranes with the wedding attire but the photographers just looked at me funny. :D

RB

Ha! I'm having mine done at a steel factory, complete with workers doing welding works and containers and I'm trying to negotiate being on a forklift :lol:! The designer is simultaneously aghast at the prospect of oil stains and the novelty of the idea! It's not just to be different - the factory has personal meaning for us, and I bet it would delight and surprise many of the guests at the dinner :) I also plan another shoot at luxury boutiques at Sands or Orchard (hellooooooo Chanel!) - I think this captures Singapore more accurately than standing on break-waters at man-made beaches :P Still a long way to go yet so I anticipate more changes to be made :P

- Ely