Sign in to follow this  
csingeu

Our Lil Paradise

Return of the head-bangers!

01%20Stupidness%20101-1.JPG

I don't know what to say about this...

seems like an EPIC FAIL...

ARGH...

:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

bought a washbasin that is suitable for both top-mount and wall-mount...

but didn't realise the back is like that, until the mirror is up... it's so in-your-face-stupidness...

fuming mad now... will share more details later... or tomorrow...

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

should i get my contractor to flush it near the mirror and seal it to the mirror and the counter top, though the mirror is up?

or should i get him to maybe use some white acrylic sheet and seal up the back?

it's really... WTF...

from the looks of it... it seems like... water will definitely flow behind... and thru the crescent-shaped arc, into the hole in the solid surface top... into the cabinet below...

this is really like Stupidity 101...

should i get my contractor to flush it near the mirror and seal it to the mirror and the counter top, though the mirror is up?

it's really... WTF...

from the looks of it... it seems like... water will definitely flow behind... and thru the crescent-shaped arc, into the hole in the solid surface top... into the cabinet below...

i don't cannot flush in near the mirror cos there is some space for the solid surface that was curved up from the table top to the mirror. maybe white acrylic sheet might be the easier way... although, why does the contractor doesn't see that when the basin was mounted?

i can understand how frustrating this is......

it's really... WTF...

Hi csingeu,

I feel sorry, sometimes, reading your about your reno frustrations. The good thing, look forward to your wedding .. surely, that will give you something joyful to look ahead.

I guess there are some options here:

01. For lesser cost, un-install the sink and get it painted. At least, the reflection from the mirror will not reflect something that seems to be frustrating for you.

02. Pasting white acrylic sheet (just as mentioned by May_dream1) is a good idea. Or, alternatively, custom-make a mirror (reflection upon reflection effect). Should you are going along this route, I suggest it to cover the back (of the sink) completely so as to 'close' the arc hole.

03. How about going back to your sink supplier and get it changed to a 'proper' top mounting one? Hopefully this can be done. To re-position your current sink against the wall requires more works, in my opinion. First, your counter top needs to be replaced because of the hole for the water pipe. And probably, not adjusting the water pipe hole on the counter top, the tap will not be able to sit properly unless the plumber can tweak it to connect.

04. Re-position your mirror to be above the sink. Doing it, you will avoid seeing the mirror reflection. I notice that there is a little gap in between sink and mirror, which is good as you will be able to clean it now and then.

Regards,

Reiki

Too late cos the solid surface top is up. With this type of sink, the contractor need to cut the solid surface top and push the sink back so that there is no gap btween the wall then mount the mirror just above the sink. I nearly made this mistake too and Henry made us changed the sink when he saw my whatapps photo. To think that I quarrel with him on the phone over it as he kept saying I bought the wrong things without checking with him. My advice is to change to a top mount sink but u also then have to take note of the height of the tap liao if it is a top mount sink. Some top mount sinks do not have the hole for the tap and u might need to mount the tap on the solid surface top.

Return of the head-bangers!

01%20Stupidness%20101-1.JPG

I don't know what to say about this...

seems like an EPIC FAIL...

ARGH...

:bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

bought a washbasin that is suitable for both top-mount and wall-mount...

but didn't realise the back is like that, until the mirror is up... it's so in-your-face-stupidness...

fuming mad now... will share more details later... or tomorrow...

Bro, really dunno wat to say... I think the workers most probably are dreaming while installing, can u $%&^*%$ your ID, they should compensate u .... anyway be cool ok Bro.

hey csingeu, hope your sink problem is solved.

i think the best and most cost saving method is to use acrylic as mentioned by May_dream1.

cheer up!

Things looking good bro!

I have the same Godmorgan mirrors from IKEA too, big as **** and brightens up the bathroom very well.

How much was your laundry system? I'm looking for one, may do pulley instead also, coz the length is very short and not suitable to remove the bamboo poles.

The laundry system is abt $398 for a 4-pole system. and i think $448 for a 6-pole one.

We paid for the 4-pole one... only to be told later, that the 4-pole one was out of stock, and would only be available maybe end-Aug or Sep or dun-know-when... and we sort of had no choice but to go for the 6-pole one...

my wife almost wanted them to refund us the $50 deposit and go look for it elsewhere...

i think max is abt 1.7m or 2m (can't really remember), or so... i think they can cut the poles on the spot, when installing, as they do measurements on the spot.

but think it's not suitable to detach the stainless steel poles, and hang them outside...

there are rubber caps at the ends... think they won't last well under the hot sun... and the poles sure to have a lot of scratches if placed on the bamboo pole holders outside...

always nice to see progress photos. And surprisingly ikea mirrors are quite good for the pricepoint. I've been using a normal ikea mirror for years in my bathroom, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/15302600 - similar to this type but with wavy sides, low maintenance and easy to clean with just some soap and water. Of course the edges do corrode but it's acceptable for the price tag and easily changed too.

LOL... i do hope they are easy to replace...

but i told my plumber to "glue" it to the wall instead of using the brackets and screws...

gluing it to the wall makes it more "flushed"... but the problem comes when it's "corroding" and needs to be replaced... :bangwall:

I love how Ikea names their products :) It actually means "Good morning" so pretty apt for a mirror to greet you after you just rubbed the sleep from your eyes :) Ikea is one of my Happy Places, I love looking at the product names and having a chuckle to myself.

My laundry system is pretty similar to yours, except mine looks bulkier hmm. Can't help with price, Soichiro, sorry - we had it custom made to our wall length and in white/silver to match the laundry. Will have pics of mine soon.

Great progress, csingeu! Coming along very nicely indeed. I'm sure whatever your wife picks will be gorgeous :)

- Ely

apparently, my wife has gone online and bought some nice fabrics for the cushion covers... i'm not too sure what it is... i'll be in for the surprise... and i hope it's a pleasant one... LOL... :P

and she's having ideas now on what art piece/painting to be placed on the wall beside the breakfast counter...

oh well... i'll leave the accessorizing to the lady... :)

bro did you get the laundry system at the same place as me? :)

oh dear :o will they pay you back for the damage?

yes, marshmallow. i've gotten it from woei-lee (or something like that)...

i'm not too sure whether the purchase is a gd one though... i think it will be heavy, when it's full of load... :(

i've gotten cheap portable dry rack from IKEA (think abt $10-$12) to use in the balcony, for the weekends, to sun the thicker stuff (like maybe bed sheets, quilt covers, etc)...

yes... he paid for the replacement... but my time was wasted to go down to get one... and also the cab trip back... the mirror is b-l-o-o-d-y big... it's not very heavy (ard 6kg) but very bulky... mine's 80x96cm, think the biggest is 120x96cm...

So sorry to hear about the mirror accident. Hope you manage to find the stock at Ikea.

The reno seems to be progressing well. Any firm move-in dates fixed?

I'm crossing my fingers abt hand-over this weekend (think final touch-up this Sat, but i expect a little more touch-up, after we move in)...

the big furniture (cellini home package - dining table, sofa set, king-sized mattress + bed frame + tv console) and electrical appliance (fridge, washing machine, etc) coming in next Mon... my wife's arranging for movers next Wed...

with very gd luck and no more hiccups, we might just be able to shift in by next weekend (i.e. 1st weekend of July)...

in fact, we just bought a queen-sized mattress + divan from IKEA ytd, and it will be delivered this Sat afternoon..

didn't want to buy the furniture for the guestroom so early... but my mum was quite insistent that we DO NOT sleep on the "matrimony" bed before the customary wedding...

and the compromise was that, we'll get a separate mattress to sleep on for the next 8 months before our customary wedding, while our king-sized mattress will be stored away in the other spare room first...

and once ok, we'll replace it with the king-sized mattress and move the queen-sized mattress to the guestroom...

ARGH... parents... :bleah:

i don't cannot flush in near the mirror cos there is some space for the solid surface that was curved up from the table top to the mirror. maybe white acrylic sheet might be the easier way... although, why does the contractor doesn't see that when the basin was mounted?

i can understand how frustrating this is......

yeah... i was **** pissed... bur we were partly at fault too... we bought it after seeing the catalogue (it was stated top-mount and wall-hung)... so we assumed it's ok for both... and we got it in quite early, coz the contractor wanted to install the WCs, so we thought just deliver everything together...

it was at my place for so long, but my contractor and his plumber didn't get a gd look at it...

and the plumber is such an @$$... he knew we were doing vanity counter, and the wash basins were to be top-mounted... given his experience, he would have known that the wash basins may not be suitable... so the very least, he should inform my contractor or myself to confirm... but he just went ahead to mount it...

when I complained to my contractor, he told me, we can't blame the plumber, coz he just assumes that's what the owners want...

this is what i meant by irresponsible behaviour... and i would highly not recommend them... :furious:

Hi csingeu,

I feel sorry, sometimes, reading your about your reno frustrations. The good thing, look forward to your wedding .. surely, that will give you something joyful to look ahead.

I guess there are some options here:

01. For lesser cost, un-install the sink and get it painted. At least, the reflection from the mirror will not reflect something that seems to be frustrating for you.

02. Pasting white acrylic sheet (just as mentioned by May_dream1) is a good idea. Or, alternatively, custom-make a mirror (reflection upon reflection effect). Should you are going along this route, I suggest it to cover the back (of the sink) completely so as to 'close' the arc hole.

03. How about going back to your sink supplier and get it changed to a 'proper' top mounting one? Hopefully this can be done. To re-position your current sink against the wall requires more works, in my opinion. First, your counter top needs to be replaced because of the hole for the water pipe. And probably, not adjusting the water pipe hole on the counter top, the tap will not be able to sit properly unless the plumber can tweak it to connect.

04. Re-position your mirror to be above the sink. Doing it, you will avoid seeing the mirror reflection. I notice that there is a little gap in between sink and mirror, which is good as you will be able to clean it now and then.

Regards,

Reiki

I'm currently exploring option 3... but if that fails, i might just go buy 2 new ones from sim siang choon... and get it over and done with...

if it can be solved by money, it's not really a problem...

i rather "waste" that few hundreds and save myself the eyesore for the next 5-10 yrs... argh... my mental well-being is more impt... :P

Too late cos the solid surface top is up. With this type of sink, the contractor need to cut the solid surface top and push the sink back so that there is no gap btween the wall then mount the mirror just above the sink. I nearly made this mistake too and Henry made us changed the sink when he saw my whatapps photo. To think that I quarrel with him on the phone over it as he kept saying I bought the wrong things without checking with him. My advice is to change to a top mount sink but u also then have to take note of the height of the tap liao if it is a top mount sink. Some top mount sinks do not have the hole for the tap and u might need to mount the tap on the solid surface top.

You know what... the most furious thing was that, the solid surface guy who was installing the top for the vanity counters, saw that the wash basins was like that, and he took the initiative to cut the backsplash so that it can be push back to the wall, and he drilled the new holes needed for the drainage and pipes...

I went up and saw the "mistake"... but was happy with it... coz it made sense... so i didn't kick up a big fuss with my contractor..

little did i know the next day, my contractor actually went to ask the solid surface supplier to replace the top... :furious:

he should have just checked with us first...

and his reason was that, everyone, who's doing vanity counter, will mount it in the centre. and it makes sense to mount it in the center, so the user does not have to lean too far forward to wash his hands, or face...

he has his pt... but my pt was... shouldn't he have checked what I've purchased... and inform me earlier, if the wash basins are not suitable...

or maybe adjust the design of the vanity counter, to match the wash basins I've bought... :curse:

anyway, my 2nd option, like mentioned above, is to change to a proper top mount wash basins...

Bro, really dunno wat to say... I think the workers most probably are dreaming while installing, can u $%&^*%$ your ID, they should compensate u .... anyway be cool ok Bro.

yah... they really day-dreaming... :curse: :curse: :curse:

ya i see liao..i also dunno what to say.....

yah... EPIC FAIL lor... plus DOUBLE FACE-PALM... LOL

hey csingeu, hope your sink problem is solved.

i think the best and most cost saving method is to use acrylic as mentioned by May_dream1.

cheer up!

It's the cheapest way, no doubt... actually, i suggested it one la... hehehe...

but i dun feel it's an elegant solution... though my wife feels no one will see or bother with it...

but the fact that i know, and i'm like living there (and not just some guests who popped by to visit)... i'm going to face the eye-sore everyday...

can't imagine every morning, when i wake up and go to the bathroom to brush teeth and wash my face, i'll notice that "blemish" lor...

ARGH...

anyway, my contractor did offer me some solution... he said we can use solid surface to "box up" space between the back of the wash-basin and the wall... it does 3 things...

1. cover the ugly back....

2. prevent water from slipping into the gap behind...

3. remove the gap between the wall and the basin... => no need to clean that part anymore...

i was quite open to that... until he told me... it's going to be $150 per bathroom... (which he said was a lump sum offered by the supplier)... so it's like $300... i was still thinking of getting him to pay for it... or the most pay $100 (max)...

so I'm exploring the 2nd option... which is to replace the wash basins... and he's charging me $60 per basin...

assuming the new washbasin is abt $80-100 per piece... it will be ard $280 - $320... just $20 more...

and i'll prob try to sell off the original 2 basins at very low price... maybe $40-$50 per piece or less...

i might still be able to recoup $80-$100...

and I intend to get him to absorb the installation charges...

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

If you choose to change to a top mount, you have to see whether you can get one that your tap can be used too. The size and position of the basin and tap might not fit exactly. Might be more problematic!

What if you do what your contractor says? Just box up the back? Might be worth it...

If you choose to change to a top mount, you have to see whether you can get one that your tap can be used too. The size and position of the basin and tap might not fit exactly. Might be more problematic!

What if you do what your contractor says? Just box up the back? Might be worth it...

Yes. I'm going down tomorrow morning to measure the holes between the tap and the drainage.. so that the holes can be re-used...

i would consider box up the back with solid surface, if my contractor pays for the mistakes...

but i'm likely to just get a proper top-mount wash basin instead.