Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jaskel

A 9mths Reno Journey

This is a ECOwood homo. tiles 90x15cm, with texture on the surface so a bit different from other wood tiles which either smooth surface or some dimension that is different for those wood flooring.

Pros - Lasting than wood flooring and still give u the look and feel of wood flooring. No worry on wrapping, termite, water, scratches, etc...

Cons - The floor will feel a bit cold for the feet unlike wood flooring. More expensive @ $7.50psf. Unevenness in the center part of the tiles as often occur for bigger and longer pcs of tiles.

Verdict: Good for some area like balcony or foyer area. As bedroom will be cover by quite a no. of furniture, it is worth to spend the amount of money?

I went to see a condo unit that used this type of tile for most of the flooring. I didn't notice the unevenness.

I liked it so I will be using this for foyer and balcony. Saves me the worry of wooden decking getting mouldy, eaten by termites etc. Getting from Rice in Tiong Bahru. The rest of my house to be done in 600x600 homogeneous tiles from Italy (one tile throughout except for the wooden ones in foyer/balcony). Will cost me serious $$$$$ but mine is a private condo so I don't want it to look like a mass-market apartment. I agree the tiles can make a big difference to the overall look of the apartment and may be worth the $$$ in the initial investment as this is the one item you will have to look at/step on day in and day out for the years to come.

Edited by ugoh

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If you are using for Living/Dining areas, then of course as the area is big and tiles are more visible. If using it in bedrooms, as we know nowadays the bedroom is so small, after putting in a queen size bed, a wardrobe, a dresser(optional), a feature wall or TV console, curtain, etc...this already take 2/3 of the space where the tiles are less visible. And the impression of your bedroom most probably be taken by your wardrobe, feature wall, etc. This made the tiles as supporting......actor? :P

Becos of the texture, it made the unevenness less prone to be notice or feel. The 3 bedrooms using different model but the center pic ones are totally straight unlike the other 2. :yamseng: Maybe different batch of tiles also one of the factors.

Edited by jaskel

As for bathroom tiles, I'll post it when its fully completed. :P

Next I'll move on to false ceiling/L-box...which I'm trying to do something different.

Becos of the texture, it made the unevenness less prone to be notice or feel. The 3 bedrooms using different model but the center pic ones are totally straight unlike the other 2. :yamseng: Maybe different batch of tiles also one of the factors.

Sometimes the unevenness is to simulate the feel of "real" wood. I noticed some of the tiles in the shop had this effect to a greater extent than others.

The Foyer/Living/Dining/Passageway Tiles;

p1020851u.jpg

This is a black and glossy homo. tiles...so the grouting is also in black.

Pros - Nice, dirty also don't know, scratches was so hard to see due to all the veins design.

Cons - A bit expensive than normal homo. tiles. Becos dirt is so hard to see, so is the ants :P .

Need to polish after completion.

When the tiles first came, it have a protective stickers on it. This is the first time that a hono. tiles have a protective sticker on it to prevent scratches.

Verdict: Worth it. But not common used as black tiles not many like it. Its give other the impression that black tiles will make the area smaller but maybe due to the glossiness( or maybe my area is big), I don't have the feel of it at all. Had solved the problem that grouting is hard to clean over the time when a lot of the house owners had chosen light colour tiles in their living/dining area.

I like the black tiles - almost marble-like!

actually i also thought that black will make the place smaller, but after seeing my neighbour (also 4 room) whole house black indian granite floor, I was like "wah really swee", and bc it's black, it really captures the reflection of the house, so create alot of depth - makes the house look higher than it is

Sometimes the unevenness is to simulate the feel of "real" wood. I noticed some of the tiles in the shop had this effect to a greater extent than others.

Yes, u r right. Have also come across 15 x 120cm wood tiles before and the unevenness is even greater.

This the foyer false ceiling. As from the floor plan, the walkway is long.

p1020835w.jpg

As I'm experimental LED strips, I've forgo all the downlight, ceiling lights and even hanging light for the house. HDB do have a lower ceiling. Whenever we construct L-box/false ceiling/cove lighting, it will make the ceiling even lower. As for this false ceiling I've done, its only 2-3inch drop, that means half of the drop for downlights.

This made it slimmer and also hiding all the electrical trunking.

My Living area false ceiling. The bigger square is using bigger type of LED strips which are bright enough to read newspaper at night. As for the the smaller square is using another type of LED strips which are of lesser brightness which is good when I don't want the area to be so bright to watch TV programme.

p1020837d.jpg

The passageway...

p1020838u.jpg

p1020839r.jpg

This, I've no false ceiling on it, just paste it at the edge of the walls.

Edited by jaskel

Had actually used some of this switch cover as for long term.......nice looking :P

p1020842.jpg

White mirror

p1020845.jpg

Black & Red mirror

p1020846i.jpg

Light brown mirror

p1020847w.jpg

Casual

p1020850.jpg

Formal

There are also wood, leather and metal series too, round or square button, touch panel or dimmer,etc..