Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jaskel

A 9mths Reno Journey

p1030065f.jpg

And that my solid surface....a design different from the rest.....

WAHH!! :o :o :o

more ex$ than Corian :o *faint*

faint.gif

Nice... looks like mother-of-pearl :dribble:

and LED! :good: very nice - we are enjoying ours too

Ya - the in-built-to-cabinet power sockets...

just ask ID/contractor to do it... or hire Jason

then no need to ask...

He surprises you with it :lol: :lol:

and many other things :dancingqueen: :dancingqueen:

:D

Kvn

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wow nice work jaskel!! :good:

Kinda surreal seeing my contractor blog about his own house too haha. Glad to see you're still passionate about renovating/designing. Continue working your magic! :yamseng:

Hi jaskel,

What is the substrate material you use for your kitchen cabinet carcass and door? Eg, some people use all plywood, others use MDF for door and treated chipboard for carcass. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each and what was the reason for choosing the materials you eventually went with?

Seems to me that in Europe, for the quality cabinets, it is common to see MDF doors and treated chipboard carcass.

Wow nice work jaskel!! :good:

Kinda surreal seeing my contractor blog about his own house too haha. Glad to see you're still passionate about renovating/designing. Continue working your magic! :yamseng:

Thanks, thanks.. :D When your house warming?

Edited by jaskel

Hi jaskel,

What is the substrate material you use for your kitchen cabinet carcass and door? Eg, some people use all plywood, others use MDF for door and treated chipboard for carcass. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each and what was the reason for choosing the materials you eventually went with?

Seems to me that in Europe, for the quality cabinets, it is common to see MDF doors and treated chipboard carcass.

For the kitchen cabinet carcass, I'm using plywood, as for the doors, I'm using block boards sandwiched by plywood. All material have their pros and cons, just using something that will last longer. Plywood is stronger compare to MDF or chipboard, but is heavier so if was to use it for the doors, over the times, the doors will start to "kiss" each other. This my 3rd renovation. The first was using block board for the door and after 6yrs, still ok. The 2nd was using plywood for the doors and less than 3 mths, some of the doors started to 'kiss' each other. So my 3rd reno, I'm using block boards. If u really want to know the advantages and disadvantages of each material, u can go to the website at under my signature where I've wrote it at another forum.

Not sure how to compare the material used in Europe and here (cos never been there before). If really wanted me to answer on that, the followings are just my point of views.

1) Weather. We don't have 4 seasons but they do.

2) Woods. Different type of wood grown.

3) Processing. They may have high tech machine to process the wood but we lack of space and $ (or even technology and skills).

4) Laminate. We use laminate to glue to the plywood but if was to do that there, due to expansion and contraction (4 seasons), will the laminate not give way first?

5) Cost. If wanted a quality cabinet, use marine plywood wasn't it be better but the cost.......

Actually a lot factors are affecting our choices, everyone want good quality materials but the cost of it we can afford but not willing to pay the price for that. For Europe, the people brought a house and can stay there for a very very long time. We may sell the flat when the MOP is up and the price is good :P

too late liao.. now i having big issues.... :bangwall:

Issues with the ID? Hope is just a small hiccups and the issues able to rectify fast. :yamseng:

Issues with the ID? Hope is just a small hiccups and the issues able to rectify fast. :yamseng:

no problem with her, but the carpentry... sux big time. Imagine BLUM cabinets without the effect, how gd r their workmanship?

no problem with her, but the carpentry... sux big time. Imagine BLUM cabinets without the effect, how gd r their workmanship?

If using 1 Blum soft closing not able to, then try using 2 Blumotion. They are also another way to rectify this issues as the Blumotion also come with individual piece with don't need to click onto the Blum hinges.

If using 1 Blum soft closing not able to, then try using 2 Blumotion. They are also another way to rectify this issues as the Blumotion also come with individual piece with don't need to click onto the Blum hinges.

Have check with BLUM themselves. They have a standard installation process. Mounting plates of the hinges should b 37mm fr the end of the cabinet, failing to do so, will affect the performance. All my hinges are not aligned. When the cabinet door is closed, can still see a very big gap at the hinge area. :bangwall:

Even if I put 2 Blum motion dampers on the hinge, the door still slams, or it becomes so slow motion until u need abt 5-10s for the door to close completely.

For the kitchen cabinet carcass, I'm using plywood, as for the doors, I'm using block boards sandwiched by plywood. All material have their pros and cons, just using something that will last longer. Plywood is stronger compare to MDF or chipboard, but is heavier so if was to use it for the doors, over the times, the doors will start to "kiss" each other. This my 3rd renovation. The first was using block board for the door and after 6yrs, still ok. The 2nd was using plywood for the doors and less than 3 mths, some of the doors started to 'kiss' each other. So my 3rd reno, I'm using block boards. If u really want to know the advantages and disadvantages of each material, u can go to the website at under my signature where I've wrote it at another forum.

Not sure how to compare the material used in Europe and here (cos never been there before). If really wanted me to answer on that, the followings are just my point of views.

1) Weather. We don't have 4 seasons but they do.

2) Woods. Different type of wood grown.

3) Processing. They may have high tech machine to process the wood but we lack of space and $ (or even technology and skills).

4) Laminate. We use laminate to glue to the plywood but if was to do that there, due to expansion and contraction (4 seasons), will the laminate not give way first?

5) Cost. If wanted a quality cabinet, use marine plywood wasn't it be better but the cost.......

Actually a lot factors are affecting our choices, everyone want good quality materials but the cost of it we can afford but not willing to pay the price for that. For Europe, the people brought a house and can stay there for a very very long time. We may sell the flat when the MOP is up and the price is good :P

my parents' home got 4 seasons... we have laminates at the kitchen cabinets. of course it gave way earlier than the cabinet itself (still intact but some cracks here and there) but it doesn't happen so soon la... like after 10 yrs :P anyway, our 4 seasons not as extreme as those in Europe or Canada.

for the rest of the wooden carpentry, we painted them instead of laminating... and it sure last a very long time: the bedrooms' wardrobes and bathroom mirror cabinet have been around for 28 yrs~ :bow:

anyway, just kpo: for the solid top material you are using, besides looking different, any other advantage as compared to the well-known brands commonly used here? :)

my parents' home got 4 seasons... we have laminates at the kitchen cabinets. of course it gave way earlier than the cabinet itself (still intact but some cracks here and there) but it doesn't happen so soon la... like after 10 yrs :P anyway, our 4 seasons not as extreme as those in Europe or Canada.

for the rest of the wooden carpentry, we painted them instead of laminating... and it sure last a very long time: the bedrooms' wardrobes and bathroom mirror cabinet have been around for 28 yrs~ :bow:

anyway, just kpo: for the solid top material you are using, besides looking different, any other advantage as compared to the well-known brands commonly used here? :)

Beside looking different, the pros and cons still the same for the rest of the well-know brands. Now only waiting to see if the scratches are oblivious or not.

Have check with BLUM themselves. They have a standard installation process. Mounting plates of the hinges should b 37mm fr the end of the cabinet, failing to do so, will affect the performance. All my hinges are not aligned. When the cabinet door is closed, can still see a very big gap at the hinge area. :bangwall:

Even if I put 2 Blum motion dampers on the hinge, the door still slams, or it becomes so slow motion until u need abt 5-10s for the door to close completely.

Yes, they do have. Need to go for courses provided by Blum before the carpenter know how to install it.

This is your ID's carpenter able to solve the issues?

kitchen is outstanding!

i spotted a rinnai there!!

you are really raising the bar here jaskel!

Yes Bro...keeping up with the times and if got $$$, will do crystal top by ceaserstone.....cost ard $20K per piece. :notti: