Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bepgof

Ge 2011 Talk

Another example of "raiding the nation reserve":

- Why have university places for foreigners whereby locals with good results can't get in? Never mind, these foreigners are given scholarship by our government! Take RI's boarding house for examples, the foreign students staying there were under scholarships by MOE! Why like that? Talent trading?

Months back, a group of 3 RI JC students approached me through my neighbour for "consultation" of RC plane techniques as they were taking part in a competition, during the process, found out that these 2 out of 3 are under MOE's scholarship to china. Asked them how many of them as they knew of under such scholarship, reply was : many!

this scholarship scheme has been in place for ages. one of the scholars that i know, his daughter is already in JC...

the difference is last time the scholars were from Asean countries and HK. the PRC secondary school scholarship scheme started in 1995. a few of the first batch of PRC scholars were my classmates~

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Another example of "raiding the nation reserve":

- Why have university places for foreigners whereby locals with good results can't get in? Never mind, these foreigners are given scholarship by our government! Take RI's boarding house for examples, the foreign students staying there were under scholarships by MOE! Why like that? Talent trading?

Months back, a group of 3 RI JC students approached me through my neighbour for "consultation" of RC plane techniques as they were taking part in a competition, during the process, found out that these 2 out of 3 are under MOE's scholarship to china. Asked them how many of them as they knew of under such scholarship, reply was : many!

Hi ! Like that also can, I still remember years ago my parents brought me to see MP on my Poly school fees and nothing was to be done ! this is really getting on my nerves !

when foreign come to Singapore, don't know English. Never mind , government will provide FREE English lesson

English-iliterate foreigners flock to free CC language classes sponsored by Singapore taxpayers

Foreigners, PRs and new citizens are flocking to free language classes organized by Community Clubs sponsored generously by Singapore taxpayers to help them “integrate” into Singapore society.

In 2008, foreigners, permanent residents and new citizens made up 55 per cent of participants in English classes and 47 per cent in the Chinese ones, a People’s Association (PA) spokesman said.

Minister for Youth Development, Community and Sports Dr Vivian Balakrishnan unveiled a $10-million Community Integration Fund in October last year to make new immigrants and PR feel “welcomed” and “happy” in Singapore.

How about presently citizen child who are weak on English and Chinese.

They need to pay using their own money for tuition. While NEW Citizen learn English FREE.

The fund will be used to organize events for the newcomers as well as to provide free language classes for those who are unable to speak English and has already been tapped on by various grassroots organizations including a Residents’

Committee in Yew Tee, to hold free weekly conversational English lessons for new immigrants from China, Myanmar and Vietnam.

The Straits Times reported a Myanmar national Yin Yin Oo, 26, who has been an accounts executive in Singapore for more than a year, saying that she was at the ‘intermediate’ level in reading and writing, but needed help with spoken English, so she signed up for the classes at the community club.

It is not known how she managed to get a job in Singapore in the first place if she needs “help” with spoken English as there are more than qualified Singaporeans around to be “account executives”.

Good question but is there any answer how she get her pass?

Unlike other countries like Australia and Canada which require prospective immigrants to pass an English proficiency test before they are even allowed to work there, Singapore has no such rules.

Due to the ruling party’s lax criteria for immigrants, even English iliterate PRC construction workers, masseurs and cleaners are given Singapore PRs and citizenships.

According to a Wall Street Journal article on 13 January 2010, the relentless influx of foreign workers ”has kept local blue-collar wages lower than they would be otherwise, exacerbating Singapore’s gap between rich and poor.”

Singapore has the highest income-gap among the thirty most developed countries in the world.

Though it is the second richest nation in Asia after Japan, its citizens have a low domestic purchasing power comparable to other first world countries. (read UBS report here)

A recent report by the International Labor Organization revealed that Singaporeans work the longest hours among Asian countries, more than the Japanese, Koreans and Taiwanese, but are paid less than them.

The median monthly pay of an average Singaporean worker is only $2,600 compared to $180,000 for a Singapore minister. It has hardly increased over the lat decade.

Singapore’s octogenarian strongman Lee Kuan Yew dismissed the importance of the widening income gap at a ministerial forum last year on the grounds that it “matters little” so long the government continues to create jobs for Singaporeans.

Due to the ruling party’s lax criteria for immigrants, even English iliterate PRC construction workers, masseurs and cleaners are given Singapore PRs and citizenships.

i really doubt the part about cleaners getting citizenship easily cos i know of uni grads who can't get PR after numerous tries, and professionals who can't get citizenship :rolleyes:

and it's funny that English test is compulsory for maids but not for other workers?

i really doubt the part about cleaners getting citizenship easily cos i know of uni grads who can't get PR after numerous tries, and professionals who can't get citizenship :rolleyes:

and it's funny that English test is compulsory for maids but not for other workers?

In early years, PR is quite easy to apply. Even operator can apply for PR

I think before 2-3 yrs back, all poly and uni grads are offer PR straight after exam. Now, not that easy.

In early years, PR is quite easy to apply. Even operator can apply for PR

I think before 2-3 yrs back, all poly and uni grads are offer PR straight after exam. Now, not that easy.

not offered straight after graduation... they "invite" you to apply for PR but need to go through the usual application process i.e. get job first and get employer referral etc.... everyone gets this same letter.

not offered straight after graduation... they "invite" you to apply for PR but need to go through the usual application process i.e. get job first and get employer referral etc.... everyone gets this same letter.

everyone get the same letter. If everyone got a job and employer referral. Almost 100% will get PR

Now, they no longer receive this invitation letter.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/party-flags-flouting-parliamentary-elections-act-065554766.html#mwpphu-container

Party flags flouting Parliamentary Elections Act?

photo-1.jpg

Party flags displayed along Serangoon Avenue 2. (Yahoo! photo/Ion Danker)

The internet is abuzz with Singaporeans questioning if it was against the rules for political parties to display their flags in neighbourhoods before Nomination Day.

Several netizens spotted People's Action Party (PAP) flags being planted in several estates in Bukit Batok, Woodlands, Hougang, Toa Payoh and Kovan and posted them on Facebook, while a Temasek Review report asked Singaporeans to complain about the flags to the Elections Department.

According to the Elections Department website, candidates can only start their election campaigns from the close of nomination (27 April), and up to before the eve of Polling Day (which is the Cooling-Off Day). In the regulations, any form of election advertising such as the use of flags, can only be displayed during the campaign period stated.

photo.jpg Flags displayed along this road at a HDB estate. (Yahoo! photo)

Ang Mo Kio GRC MP Inderjit Singh told Yahoo! Singapore that their PAP flags are out only at their branches and said that this is quite normal.

"For every election we do that. I'm sure the opposition is doing the same. We are not putting banners in any places except in front of our branch offices where we will conduct our election activities from," he added.

However, Workers' Party chief Low Thia Khiang preferred to let the Elections Department ensure the rules are not flouted.

"I think its better to ask the Election Department rather than asking the Workers' Party whether they flout the rules and what we are going to do. We do have law enforcement here in Singapore and I think ED is the one that's supposed to … it's their job. It's not our job."

Choa Chu Kang resident, John Tan, 23, said that he called up his neighbourhood police post to check if it was against the Parliamentary Elections Act after his friend posted a picture of the flags on Facebook.

According to Tan, the police officer he spoke to said they will investigate and get back to him.

When contacted by Yahoo! Singapore, the Elections Department, which is in charge of managing the conduct of political parties during the General Election, said that they are unable to comment but will be looking into the matter.

Under the law, any person who commits such an offence shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding S$1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months and every offence under such regulations shall be an arrestable offence within the meaning of the Criminal Procedure Code 2010 (Act 15 of 2010).

===============

BTW, Bedok also. Flood by flag

everyone get the same letter. If everyone got a job and employer referral. Almost 100% will get PR

Now, they no longer receive this invitation letter.

actually, whether have letter or not, pple will still apply on their own... make completely no difference :rolleyes:

Jialat liao, SDP's Vincent Wijeysingha "wants" to be the first "gay MP". Why SDP candidates like that one?

No hope liao.

Why WP plays camouflage game? Look like only after the nomination hour is over then know who will contest in which constituencis. A smart move? Scare PAP "last minute" put in "heavy weight"?

Invitation by letter or self walk in does makes the difference.

Look like PAP is aware the gate has open too wide in a sudden and the impacts that have brought upon. Learnt & amend is a smart move.

actually, whether have letter or not, pple will still apply on their own... make completely no difference :rolleyes:

Must be those "kaKiang" RC members who want to carry the balls.....Let's see how the ED reacts. It is a "timebomb", ED should act and do something before too late.

Thanks for the reminder, do you regard this sort of scholarships are "needs", healthy and good to a nation like singapore? Remembered yrs ago when Tony Tan who was the education minister has said: "2 uni are enough".

this scholarship scheme has been in place for ages. one of the scholars that i know, his daughter is already in JC...

the difference is last time the scholars were from Asean countries and HK. the PRC secondary school scholarship scheme started in 1995. a few of the first batch of PRC scholars were my classmates~