Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bepgof

Ge 2011 Talk

I never forget when they ask public to discuss about the building of 2 IR.

After mths of "discussion" online / TV , etc.

Then they come out and say

Actually last yr, we had decide to build liao.

:curse:

This is the first time, I feel like. I've been treat like monkey. Worst then ah meng.

No respect to public at all.

Father taught me

Skin is your

face is ppl give.

If you don't want your skin, why should other give you face.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

anyone watched the dialogue session with PM on TV last nite?

hubby switched off halfway through... standard questions with standard answers nia... he said read the comments on the session from papers and forums better LOL~ :P

lol.

I don't even bother to watch.

Read summaries from forum and paper better.

Unless you are waiting for mee siam mai hum part II :D

Why this GE has so many TV live forum?

Even he want to spent the time to do this.

Sent ministers to attend for both english and chinese live forum.

Why suddenly they feel like talking to Public?

PM Lee is getting very desperate. I noticed so many local and overseas forums are against the

PAP. Last nite live TV was a put off - waste time and my electric bill.

PM Lee is getting very desperate. I noticed so many local and overseas forums are against the

PAP. Last nite live TV was a put off - waste time and my electric bill.

My 18 yr-old son also asked me to switch channel!

I shouldn't have this post in my reno blog, should have started it here for discussion instead!

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=628719

lol.

I don't even bother to watch.

Read summaries from forum and paper better.

Unless you are waiting for mee siam mai hum part II :D

Why this GE has so many TV live forum?

Even he want to spent the time to do this.

Sent ministers to attend for both english and chinese live forum.

Why suddenly they feel like talking to Public?

well, at least it's good that this kind of shows are now starting to come on TV... better than last time when everything was so suppressed.

they finally realised that they can control many mass media but NOT THE INTERNET :P

Next time at the meet-the-people session when old folks approach her, she will reply "I don't know" and stomp her feet lol.

It might not be a bad thing to meet her during "meet-the-people" as my elderly parents may be able get subsidised Universal Studio Tickets :rolleyes:

Edited by Kobelala

ST Forum

Home > ST Forum > Story

Apr 15, 2011

Chen has done his share for Singapore

MR CHEN Show Mao does not need to explain his decision as his actions have spoken louder than words ('About Chen: Time will tell' by Mr Benjamin Chow; yesterday). His resume alone is an answer but more importantly, it raises some issues our country currently grapples with.

Mr Chen served national service although he was not obliged to. Unlike Mr Chow and me who were born, bred and remain rooted in Singapore, Mr Chen was not born and was not wholly nurtured by Singapore. And yet, he chose to serve. What more do we need to ask of him?

We remember that NS was harsher then, the allowances thinner and yet, the records show Mr Chen served with distinction at the highest level possible. We have serving members of political and high office, including a People's Action Party new candidate, who became Singapore citizens but did not serve NS.

Mr Chen was the top student of his batch but never got to study the course of his choice nor was he given a scholarship. If he was given his choice of study (medicine), he would have probably spent the next 10 years studying and training here.

He was also not given a Singapore scholarship even though he showed academic and leadership qualities (he was president of an elected student council).

We have only ourselves to blame for not rooting this talent in Singapore but rather forcing him to go out into the world to make a name for himself, which he did.

Again, as we struggle with issues such as bond-breakers and foreign talent with no affinity for Singapore, we do have more pressing questions to ask before we start trying to question someone coming back with no reward in sight.

The Singapore opposition politician's life is a hard one, with nothing to gain and everything to lose - with a record that shows only sacrifice for Singapore with very little else in return.

I dare say the facts show Mr Chen in this respect to be whiter than white. Instead of questioning Mr Chen's motives, we have other more urgent matters to resolve.

Tan Suan Tiu

True, oppositions have "nothing to gain, but everything to lose". Voters appreciate this?

Why don't let them try to be MPs for a term & judge their performamce? Better than a 27 yr-old MP-would be through the door of GRC, right? PAP has always under-estimate the power of public opinion. They ignored therefore under-estimated such. A killing point for politicians.

Edited by bepgof

PAP goes toward "first class government".

WP goes toward "first class parliament"

PAP MPs ask WP what's "first class parliament".This is 五十步笑百步, draw high pay to ask this question sort of question?

MBT said allowed cheap lands to build new HDB flats is a raid to nation's reserve. Dear Mah, don't you know your high pay is a true "raid to nation's reserve", not to mention president's. My God, why got elite MPs slap on their own faces??? Bo paiseh. Time to get him out. Remembered what LKY has said before? He deserves to be out if he cannot handle this! Pity the members with him.

Edited by bepgof

PAP goes toward "first class government".

WP goes toward "first class parliament"

PAP MPs ask WP what's "first class parliament".This is 五十步笑百步, draw high pay to ask this question sort of question?

MBT said allowed cheap lands to build new HDB flats is a raid to nation's reserve. Dear Mah, don't you know your high pay is a true "raid to nation's reserve", not to mention president's. My God, why got elite MPs slap on their own faces??? Bo paiseh. Time to get him out. Remembered what LKY has said before? He deserves to be out if he cannot handle this! Pity the members with him.

for the benefit of those who haven't read:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin...1123962/1/.html

zz really sick and tired of reading his arguement - the more he depends himself, the worse it gets~

WP's proposals on public housing raise serious concerns, says Mah

SINGAPORE: National Development Minister, Mah Bow Tan, said the Worker's Party's proposals about public housing raise serious concerns which must be addressed.

He added that the party's manifesto has also advocated abolishing the Elected Presidency and its motive was clearly to remove vital constitutional safeguards. This is so that the party can raid the reserves to fund irresponsible spending.

In a statement, Mr Mah addressed the Workers' Party (WP) proposal on lowering HDB flat prices by pricing public housing land below its true value.

Mr Mah said housing prices have risen due to the sharp economic recovery, as well as low interest rates and excess liquidity internationally. He said Singapore cannot artificially depress prices. But it can moderate the increases, by increasing supply and moderating demand.

He said: "We are building 22,000 BTO flats in 2011, the most ever. Prices and transaction volumes are showing signs of stabilising. We have introduced housing grants for lower income households - as much as S$60,000 for a household earning up to S$1,500 - to give them extra help to own their homes.

"We have also raised the income ceilings to buy 3-room flats and DBSS flats, to make more households eligible. The government will continue to ensure that HDB flats will be both a home and an asset for successive generations."

He said the Worker's Party's proposals to price HDB new flats much lower than current levels will devalue existing flats. If new flat prices are significantly lowered, Mr Mah cautioned that more flat buyers will buy new flats instead of resale flats and this would cause prices of resale flats to fall.

"First and second-time home-buyers who buy resale flats constituted over half (17,000 out of 32,000, or 53 per cent) of total resale transactions in 2010. They are eligible to buy new flats from HDB.

"If we depress new flat prices, many of them will switch to buying new flats. This will lengthen waiting time for all new flat buyers and depress prices of resale flats. This must impact the flat values of the existing one million HDB home owners, and sooner rather than later."

He said the Workers' Party is also against the asset enhancement policy and blames HDB's upgrading programmes for pushing up flat prices.

Mr Mah reminded Singaporeans that the PAP's home ownership and rejuvenation programmes have made the HDB flat an asset, with their value appreciating in tandem with economic growth.

And in recent years, the government has incurred deficits of about S$1 billion each year in the home ownership programme and committed another S$1 billion each year in rejuvenation programmes.

So Mr Mah asked why is the WP against upgrading programmes which enhance the value of Singa­poreans' homes, and enable the people to enjoy the fruits of Singapore's progress and why does it want to push down the value of all existing HDB flats.

Finally, Mr Mah explained that the Worker's Party's proposal to lower flat prices by paying less for the land is an illegal raid on the reserves.

Under the Constitution, after every general election, the new government is required to manage its expenditure based on its current revenue during its term in office. It cannot use assets which have been accumulated under previous governments, unless the Elected President agrees.

Mr Mah said: "These assets are reserves protected by the EP for future generations of Singaporeans. This system was put in to prevent a profligate government spending money which it had not accumulated. State land forms part of the reserves protected by EP.

"When the government takes state land from the reserves to use, for example for public housing, it has to pay the full value of the land back into the reserves, to replace the land which it has used. This land value is determined by the Chief Valuer, according to objective market conditions and established valuation principles.

"In this case, it is valued for public housing, which is already lower than for private housing. The govern­ment cannot arbitrarily price state land higher or lower as it pleases. Nor can it appoint a Chief Valuer to do its bidding, because the Chief Valuer's appointment is protected, and subject to the approval of the EP."

And paying less for land to build flats was not a casual matter of "left pocket to right pocket" but of raiding the reserves meant for future generations.

-CNA/ac

I never bother to read what that ah Mah say.

whatever he say is only excuse.

Wondering, who will WP sent to my GRC.