Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leechaorui

Garden In Landed House

My garden is planted with pearl grass. The gardener mentioned that over time, there is still some minor trimming required and it is low maintenance. So far, my pearl grass is not growing uniformly well. Some parts are healthy, some parts have quite a fair bit of brown leaves and there are also patches that barren.

Hi, do you fertilise the pearl grass? I had the same patchy problem initially with some areas going bald. I tried a few different fertiliser before i found the right one which seems to encourage growth.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

gosh... returned from a short holiday and my carpet grass garden has so many brown patches :(

can't be the lack of water as it's been raining daily and I've also got someone to water it on non-rain days...

I 'fed' the garden with those granules of fertiliser for grass before I left...

Does anyone have any similar experience or can advise me on what else I can do?

Many thanks!

gosh... returned from a short holiday and my carpet grass garden has so many brown patches :(

can't be the lack of water as it's been raining daily and I've also got someone to water it on non-rain days...

Many thanks!

Your experience with carpet grass worries me. We were going to have carpet grass too for our lawn and the cost is not small!! May I know what is the name of your carpet grass and who did you engage to plant the grass? The quotation I got to plant the grass for garden of 1000 sq ft is S$6k +, preparing the sand bedding S$2k+ etc. We are now thinking of DIY to save $$$. If anyone has done DIY lawn, would really appreciate your sharing. Thanks!

Your experience with carpet grass worries me. We were going to have carpet grass too for our lawn and the cost is not small!! May I know what is the name of your carpet grass and who did you engage to plant the grass? The quotation I got to plant the grass for garden of 1000 sq ft is S$6k +, preparing the sand bedding S$2k+ etc. We are now thinking of DIY to save $$$. If anyone has done DIY lawn, would really appreciate your sharing. Thanks!

engaged someone from classified ads.

He used french carpet grass.

My garden is about 260sf and it cost $650 for removal of previous garden filled with overgrown scrubs, laying sand, and laying the grass and planting a frangipanni tree (I bought the tree at $98 from World Farm).

The more established companies have quoted in excess of $1k.

One way I thought is to ask the company for their recent work and to then drive to those places to take a look...

Edited by MetalTab

hi

All types of grass needs to be trimmed. I had cow grass for 1 month, and gave up. dug out everything and replaced with carpet grass.

put fertilizers every 7 days and the grass will be green. I personally have planted 6 Eugenias along the the fencing seperating my neighbor, waiting for it grow. it can create a privacy screen for your garden.

I am against planting fruit trees unless I stay in a bungalow where land is not an issue.

Leave the maintenance to the professionals, reckon about 100-150/mth.

Hi you mentioned that you replanted your lawn with carpet grass. Is it just a matter of laying the carpet grass squares over the mixture of sand and compost? Can you share your replanting process cos I am thinking of a DIY carpet grass lawn.

Many thanks!

just want to share...

a gardener told me that I have put too much fertiliser and water to the garden - and hence the brown patches...

He said I should be sparring in dishing out the fertiliser and only water the carpet grass when it does not rain; and to water it (only slightly)in the evening - never when it is hot.

so looks like I was a tad over enthusiastic :(

FYI. if anyone wants to buy those professional lawn mowers or grasscutter to maintain your garden. You can actually pay off govt contractors "illegally" when they come trim those at the pavement near your house. $40-50 do the job. Trick is you have to locate them while they are resting under a tree during lunch time. Funny thing is they always appear in the neighborhoods i stay in during sat...super good time!

Plus they are always in a team of 2. One cut one got this blower than blows it to the side! More efficient than spending hundreds/thousand for a machine then having to sweat and do it yourself. What takes them 30min, takes us 2hour.

FYI. if anyone wants to buy those professional lawn mowers or grasscutter to maintain your garden. You can actually pay off govt contractors "illegally" when they come trim those at the pavement near your house. $40-50 do the job. Trick is you have to locate them while they are resting under a tree during lunch time. Funny thing is they always appear in the neighborhoods i stay in during sat...super good time!

Plus they are always in a team of 2. One cut one got this blower than blows it to the side! More efficient than spending hundreds/thousand for a machine then having to sweat and do it yourself. What takes them 30min, takes us 2hour.

I agree :) though have not tried asking them yet. Will try one day.

Hmm got ever think of doing decking for your garden?? i find its quite beautiful too. If you interested, can contact this guy called Mr NG at 93384114. I believe you will love it cause i did my timber decking and flooring from him. Until now its still looking great and no problems at all.

Timberjack, dont lie thru ur nose.

Timber floor and deck needs maintenance to keep it looking good.

Outdoor decks needs sanding and revarnish now and then..

Timberjack, dont lie thru ur nose.

Timber floor and deck needs maintenance to keep it looking good.

Outdoor decks needs sanding and revarnish now and then..

Timberjack = Mengwee ?

hi all, i've been reading up on designing "low maintenance" gardens & there is a movement away from lawns which are not only high maintenance but not as "sustainable".

Please look up this book...

Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 amazing lawn alternatives (Timber Press) By Evelyn J. Hadden

While written from a US perspective, the principles & ideas are relevant to us in Singapore & there are some plant selections (at the back) that will do OK in our climate.

It talks about using ground cover plants to create "green islands" around trees & shrubs & instead of lawn, explore using pea-gravel or mulch with pavers (as steps).

I bought mine on sale from Kinokuniya but I'm sure Amazon has it too.

Happy gardening!

hi all, i've been reading up on designing "low maintenance" gardens & there is a movement away from lawns which are not only high maintenance but not as "sustainable".

Please look up this book...

Beautiful No-Mow Yards: 50 amazing lawn alternatives (Timber Press) By Evelyn J. Hadden

While written from a US perspective, the principles & ideas are relevant to us in Singapore & there are some plant selections (at the back) that will do OK in our climate.

It talks about using ground cover plants to create "green islands" around trees & shrubs & instead of lawn, explore using pea-gravel or mulch with pavers (as steps).

I bought mine on sale from Kinokuniya but I'm sure Amazon has it too.

Happy gardening!

Thanks. this is good info.