Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leechaorui

Garden In Landed House

Platycerium species.

Check this out. http://purificacionorchids.com/index.php/gallery/platyceriums

Suggest to grow all sorts of air plants. Super lasting. Especially those flowering type, very nice.

2 thumbs up for this thread!!. I have an airwell, the sun does not get in very much. Any suggestion on what to grow there? I used to have one of those "elephant ear", no idea what is the scientific name for it but it rotted away due to excessive water logged a year ago.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

2 thumbs up for this thread!!. I have an airwell, the sun does not get in very much. Any suggestion on what to grow there? I used to have one of those "elephant ear", no idea what is the scientific name for it but it rotted away due to excessive water logged a year ago.

Bepgof has recommended a useful website. Some of the plants there will do better in low sunlight area. Survival is still much dependent on the condition (some light sunshine but not excessive amount of watering) and some element of luck. I think you could be referring elephant ear plant to Platycerium andium. This plant also cannot take too much sunlight and you probably do not need to water very much. It usually grow without the need for soil.

Bitter gourd - easy to grow but the birds will eat it faster than u.

Chilli/pandan/curry leaves/malay lime leaves - normal day to day herbs used in your dishes. Can be planted in pots so very simple

How lucky for you guys to have a garden. I grew up in a landed with a mum with green fingers. She's always in the garden growing veg and stuff and it's always nice to have produce from the back of the garden. We had bittergourd, pandan, papaya, ladies finger, mangetout, turnip, peanuts, sweet potato leaves, choy sum etc.

If the plot is used to grow bittergourd or chilli, the soil will be very bitter/spicy after that. Hence whatever crop you grow on the plot after that is going to be bitter.

Just an fyi. :)

Edited by strikingreality

I have an airwell too. Thinking of doing a vertical garden, waiting for far east people to come check if it's feasible (coz like u say not much light plus i tint the glass) not much UV to get through cannot photosynthesize. if not will just build a book shelf there then do vertical garden for the backyard wall so the occupant for the granny room can have a green view.

Hi there, I am thinking of something similar in the balcony in my new place. I have an enlarged balcony with not much light as well, similar to an airwell, but within the HDB block. Thinking of the vertical garden. How does it work? Do you have to engage Far East to do it?

Just wondering what are the costs....

Edited by strikingreality

Ever lived in "landed house" till age of 16, shifted to HDB due to land acquisition. With big plot of land, 3 ponds, 2 wells. Late father was a farmer, we grew all sorts of veg/plant for sale (whole sale market was at present's hong kong st, carpenter st, previously called 三沟).....Really missed those days.

Some links here for airplants. I was the first batch of visitors to Botanic Garden's airplant garden some 15 yrs ago.

http://plants.web-indexes.com/airplants/airplant-basics.html

http://www.airplants.com/

http://natureloveyou.sg/Plants-P.html

Edited by bepgof

If the plot is used to grow bittergourd or chilli, the soil will be very bitter/spicy after that. Hence whatever crop you grow on the plot after that is going to be bitter.

True. Need to mix soil with little white cement power to neutralise the PH. Make seashells into smaller pcs and mix with soil also help. I used to do that.

Yrs ago was a member of hydroponic club of ngee ngee polytechnic. Won 2nd price for the design of logo for the club. Have frown a few veg specis and cacti within styrofoam boxes with hydroponic technique. Bought PH meter & conductivity meter, used NPK solutions.

Flowering plants tend to be short-lived, therefore need maintenance, except those like bougainvillea, cacti....could pass them to your next generation.

Miniture fruit trees not a bad idea. From flowering to bearing fruits, very rewarding.

Too bad, no $ to buy landed property, otherwise....sure invite all you guys to look see look see.

Hi there, I am thinking of something similar in the balcony in my new place. I have an enlarged balcony with not much light as well, similar to an airwell, but within the HDB block. Thinking of the vertical garden. How does it work? Do you have to engage Far East to do it?

Just wondering what are the costs....

don't know the price yet but i know vertical garden you cannot do it yourself. They need to build brackets to hold the soil etc. Once my place is 80% done i let you know what Far East say. My balcony is probably the size of new 5room HDB living room + dining room! So need to do some landscaping but in pots so it'll be easier to wash and clean

For almost zero maintenance grass, try pearl grass. Never needs trimming, just occasional fertilising.

Costs more ex than carpet grass though. And, recommended to have 2 inch sand bed prior to planting of grass.

For almost zero maintenance grass, try pearl grass. Never needs trimming, just occasional fertilising.

Costs more ex than carpet grass though. And, recommended to have 2 inch sand bed prior to planting of grass.

My garden is planted with pearl grass. The gardener mentioned that over time, there is still some minor trimming required and it is low maintenance. So far, my pearl grass is not growing uniformly well. Some parts are healthy, some parts have quite a fair bit of brown leaves and there are also patches that barren.

lee: i have the same issue for my pearl grass, its patchy. Was thinking about replanting those bald spots. does your gardener do that for you and how much do they charge?

lee: i have the same issue for my pearl grass, its patchy. Was thinking about replanting those bald spots. does your gardener do that for you and how much do they charge?

Yes, my gardener can do that for me. PM me your hp again so that I can intro him to you. I have not used him before but plan to use his services in a few months time. I think better for me to test him out first before I recommend to you. If you want it fast, I can pass you his contact and leave both of you to discuss.

Cheers!

I'm contemplating to re-plant small garden (about 3m by 18m) with pearl grass. think it's of low maintenance.

Is it an easy DIY job or better to get some professional help? Any lobang?

Thank you!

I'm contemplating to re-plant small garden (about 3m by 18m) with pearl grass. think it's of low maintenance.

Is it an easy DIY job or better to get some professional help? Any lobang?

Thank you!

Hi MetalTab,

Sorry for the late reply. I think you can explore DIY. It can be more fun, fulfilling and interesting. See this website for some ideas:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4441115_plant-grass.html

Anyone tried vertical garden? Is it easy to maintain? I have a small garden at the back of the house with good sunlight. Thanks.