Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edenstrauss

My Experience With Electrolux Cooker Hood Efc9563X

Hmm...

I was actually considering an Electrolux hood, albeit a cheaper model than what you have purchased. Incidentally, it was after reading your post on hood choice that I decided to consider Electrolux. The demonstration in the showrooms sort of cemented our decision to get an Electrolux hood as well, although we have yet to put down the deposit for it. We are also planning to get an Electrolux hob as the price is pretty reasonable.

Anyway, I am sad to hear your experience. I hope that was the trough and things will look up for you from now. :)

But now the question for me is... should I treat your experience as an isolated case or is there a systemic problem with Electrolux products...

Thanks for being so encouraging.

Is electrolux's hob good? R u getting those made of tempered glass or stainless steel?

I haven't heard much about their hob becox I was told to purchase rinnai should the need for a replacement arise. I cannot imagine how i m going to tolerate the same problem appearing to my hob with a stainless steel surface. Don't need another sore thumb when I already had one with the hood :(

After this rueful episode, I don't have faith in Electrolux's products even though their people were pretty responsive to my complaints.

R u getting it from independent hob & hood dealers?

Edited by edenstrauss

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The hob we're eyeing is made of tempered glass, and less than $300 for a three burner model. Well, we would have gotten the Rinnai RB-2CG if we had the cash to spare, but thought that we didn't really need all the fancy features.

The Electrolux hoods were really powerful and quiet during the demos compared to other brands, but after reading your horrible experience, I'm thinking of getting the tempered glass model (only the chimney is stainless steel), haha...

And we're most likely be getting our appliances from GC, cos the sales rep we're in contact with is trying his best to match the prices of other retailers... As to who would be installing our hood, probably our renovation contractor.

The only Electrolux appliance I have now is the Ergorapido. It's really convenient, but in terms of real vacuuming effectiveness, my bulky Rainbow is unbeatable, lol!

Thanks for being so encouraging.

Is electrolux's hob good? R u getting those made of tempered glass or stainless steel?

I haven't heard much about their hob becox I was told to purchase rinnai should the need for a replacement arise. I cannot imagine how i m going to tolerate the same problem appearing to my hob with a stainless steel surface. Don't need another sore thumb when I already had one with the hood :(

After this rueful episode, I don't have faith in Electrolux's products even though their people were pretty responsive to my complaints.

R u getting it from independent hob & hood dealers?

The hob we're eyeing is made of tempered glass, and less than $300 for a three burner model. Well, we would have gotten the Rinnai RB-2CG if we had the cash to spare, but thought that we didn't really need all the fancy features.

The Electrolux hoods were really powerful and quiet during the demos compared to other brands, but after reading your horrible experience, I'm thinking of getting the tempered glass model (only the chimney is stainless steel), haha...

And we're most likely be getting our appliances from GC, cos the sales rep we're in contact with is trying his best to match the prices of other retailers... As to who would be installing our hood, probably our renovation contractor.

The only Electrolux appliance I have now is the Ergorapido. It's really convenient, but in terms of real vacuuming effectiveness, my bulky Rainbow is unbeatable, lol!

Hey nice to hear from u again :)

Yes Electrolux is well known for their vacuum cleaners. I had one that was a mint green which we bought from safe superstore 10 years ago & it's still serving us well. The only drawback I had with it was it is really bulky :(

I m so sorry but I didn't realize that rinnai's hob is expensive. $300 for a job is a steal in my opinion. Good buy but you've got to be careful not to drop your pots, pans or dishes on the hob!

I think I know which model u r referring to. Is it efc9555X ? Airflow 1000 mah.

It looks really cool! I liked it but we went for the one with the highest airflow 1400 mah. Becox I'll have a good excuse to deep fry several times a week. :P

In fact I have been deepfrying almost every other day.

But I did notice that when the oil splutters out of the formidable chinese wok, still need to clean up & mop floor...

i m sorry to hear that you hve unpleasant experiences with harvey norman and electronux.

I will take note of it and inform my family members not to buy anything that is expensive.

very disappointed with hn and eleectronux

Electrolux had sent an technician down to our kitchen for an onsite inspection of the chimney hood. After the technician tried his very best to polish the hood, the stains remained.

And what was really obvious is that those severely discoloured grease filters (2 out of 3) were aging very fast. Please take a look @ the photographs of one of the grease filters which came to us in a badly discoloured condition & its apparent appearance on 20th Feb 2012 after polishing:

6914624353_56f5e558b9_z.jpg

The appearance of the same piece of grease filter when delivered to us (exchange set) on 17th January 2012:

6849203117_8310e4167b_z.jpg

And this piece of grease filter wasn't even placed directly above a chinese wok when we were cooking. To date, I had only cooked 5 times, 3 of which I had been deepfrying. I can imagine that it wouldn't take a lot longer to see the rust spots appearing all over the "faulty" pieces of grease filters.

Edited by edenstrauss

I had made the observation that the only piece of grease filter which was in tiptop condition since delivery was laminated with a white, opaque strip of plastic at one of the rims on the reverse side.

6914624357_33790b3313_z.jpg

The other 2 "faulty" pieces have none of these laminated protective sheets...

Oh my goodness... it is indeed a nightmare for you. I am boycotting Electrolux and Harvey Norman. Their after sales services are terrible.

Oh my goodness... it is indeed a nightmare for you. I am boycotting Electrolux and Harvey Norman. Their after sales services are terrible.

Hi thanks for reading & commenting on my thread. :)

But I must admit that the staff from Electrolux are pretty good & professional. However, their stainless steel finishing for the hood they sent me was an utter fiasco for discerning consumers with high expectations like myself. I simply found it unacceptable to pay a brand premium to get an appliance that is of substandard quality. And as such, my unhappiness was initially targeted at the appliance (not the parties involved in transaction) becox it wasn't cheap by our local standards.

Then finally, my anger started to build up when Harvey Norman made it worse becox the sales rep who sold me the appliance gave me the impression that she doesn't want any involvement & their buyer didn't really do much to pacify me when I was caught in this undesirable situation. I must reiterate that the buyer wasn't rude but she did nothing to assure a client when she told me indirectly that I didn't need to make my soon-to-be laptop purchases from HN becox I could buy it elsewhere. That made me feel upset.

So when there was a further delay in receiving my replacement carbon filter, I came down real hard on both Electrolux & Harvey Norman as I didn't feel that my complaint had been taken seriously at all.

I sought for immediate attention through the Managing Director of HN.

By the time my call reached that channel, I was already on the verge of calling in the press & related this to HN becox I would not allow either party involved in this unsatisfactory transaction to walk over me without solving the trouble I m facing with the hood.

However, as I reflected on the series of events that took place in this unhappy episode, it might not have blown out of proportion if HN had taken a more responsible approach & exhibited greater sensitivity in handling such situations with care.

Edited by edenstrauss

I am still hoping that Electrolux could improve on their quality becox it's such a pity that the brand here in Singapore is backed by a professional team of staff but only to be 'handicapped' by poor quality of their appliances which is their core business.

Their stakeholders in this equation, such as dealers like Harvey Norman are going to suffer alongside when customers return with repeated complaints. And of course, none of these affected parties would want or expect things to turn out this way.

While I could definitely understand that our Singapore market constitutes a really small percentage of the total (worldwide) sales & is likely to be perceived as "a drop of water in the vast ocean", I had the idea that if this continues worldwide, it's going to hurt Electrolux's global branding on the long run.

It's really sad to see a reputable branding go down with the rest of the majority who had their quality compromised when all their products are badly manufactured In China.

And like it or not, almost everything including branded products are made in China nowadays. Perhaps they should work around such quality issues by imposing stringent QC on the manufacturing arm in China.

Edited by edenstrauss

OMGWTFBBQ~~ I feel you... however i'm still planning to buy the Electrolux silent vacuum cleaner.

Sometime I wonder why some people so unlucky pay good money buying expensive stuff and yet get so much sh!t dump on their lap...

Before i buy thing, i will do extensive research on the internet about the product and check for feedback/review on it, next i will go look see look see the actual product in departmental store like HN/BD and ask for a demo, then i will go place order from the brand flagship store (e.g.: Mayer Marketing stores), reputable retail outlet (e.g.: City Gas Galleries) or smaller retailers (e.g.: Jerome's shop) and installation will be done by the contractors from these shops.

I strongly believe that the contractors engaged by these shops are different bunch compare to contractors from HN/BD; they cannot afford to F themselves up by providing sub standard service to their paymaster's clients. Usually i will accommodate the contractor's schedule and timing becos i can understand how pack is their daily schedule is like, they say 11am, i say ok and i will ask them what time they eat lunch, ask them they prefer eat lunch first or do my installation first, reason for my asking is that i can go ta bao lunch for myself too. They are human they also understand that i need to eat too. If they choose to do my installation first, i will tip them $10 each person for their lunch, i told them "加料" for their lunch. They will do a splendid job, clean up nice nice before they left. If they come after lunch, i will still tip them $10 each person for "加料 tea break". When people is happy, they tend to perform better.

Dont ever quarrel with the contractor, never force them to accommodate your timing, never treat them like slave/animal.

Always check the product(s) when delivered to you on the spot, reject on the spot if found anything amiss. If you wait till installation day to found these defects, stop the installation, bring the products directly to the distributor office and demand a 1-to-1 exchange for a new set... and check for defect on the spot. Re-arrange for installation on another day, high chances you have to pay for another round of installation, talk to their contractor, pretty sure work something out. Never order the contractor to do the free installation as it is YOUR FAULT for not checking the product(s) when they deliver to you.

OMGWTFBBQ~~ I feel you... however i'm still planning to buy the Electrolux silent vacuum cleaner.

Sometime I wonder why some people so unlucky pay good money buying expensive stuff and yet get so much sh!t dump on their lap...

Before i buy thing, i will do extensive research on the internet about the product and check for feedback/review on it, next i will go look see look see the actual product in departmental store like HN/BD and ask for a demo, then i will go place order from the brand flagship store (e.g.: Mayer Marketing stores), reputable retail outlet (e.g.: City Gas Galleries) or smaller retailers (e.g.: Jerome's shop) and installation will be done by the contractors from these shops.

I strongly believe that the contractors engaged by these shops are different bunch compare to contractors from HN/BD; they cannot afford to F themselves up by providing sub standard service to their paymaster's clients. Usually i will accommodate the contractor's schedule and timing becos i can understand how pack is their daily schedule is like, they say 11am, i say ok and i will ask them what time they eat lunch, ask them they prefer eat lunch first or do my installation first, reason for my asking is that i can go ta bao lunch for myself too. They are human they also understand that i need to eat too. If they choose to do my installation first, i will tip them $10 each person for their lunch, i told them "加料" for their lunch. They will do a splendid job, clean up nice nice before they left. If they come after lunch, i will still tip them $10 each person for "加料 tea break". When people is happy, they tend to perform better.

Dont ever quarrel with the contractor, never force them to accommodate your timing, never treat them like slave/animal.

Always check the product(s) when delivered to you on the spot, reject on the spot if found anything amiss. If you wait till installation day to found these defects, stop the installation, bring the products directly to the distributor office and demand a 1-to-1 exchange for a new set... and check for defect on the spot. Re-arrange for installation on another day, high chances you have to pay for another round of installation, talk to their contractor, pretty sure work something out. Never order the contractor to do the free installation as it is YOUR FAULT for not checking the product(s) when they deliver to you.

Thank you for trying to be sympathetic.

However, please refrain from using expletives on the forum becox u risk getting your account suspended. This is a civilized society so please be mindful of how u express your thoughts in the public.

And if u read carefully, it was never my fault that I didn't check the product. And I was never rude to contractors nor did i treat them as slaves or animals so please read through the contents thoroughly before jumping the gun.

Everybody in our family were brought up to be punctual & believes in keeping to our appointments. We do not believe in bribing people to jump the queue as it is not fair for other customers who had already made their bookings before us. There must be some form of civility in our society here in Singapore.

I conducted an in-depth research on cooker hoods to make an informed decision of what to buy becox I m not one of those ignorant consumers who buy things blindly but like what I have mentioned, my purchase was untimely & I ended up with an appliance that had aesthetic issues. This was something that was unforeseen.

As such, I would greatly appreciate it if you do not rub it in without reading through the full story that was published in this thread. Thank you.

Edited by edenstrauss

Thank you trying to be sympathetic.

However, please refrain from using expletives on the forum becox u risk getting your account suspended. This is a civilized society so please be mindful of how u express your thoughts in the public.

And if u read carefully, it was never my fault that I didn't check the product. And I was never rude to contractors so please read through the contents thoroughly before jumping the gun.

Everybody in our family were brought up to be punctual & believes in keeping to our appointments. We do not believe in bribing people to jump the queue as it is not fair for other customers who had already made their bookings before us. There must be some form of civility in our society here in Singapore.

I did everything I could & conducted an in-depth research on

cooker hoods before the purchase but like what I have mentioned, my purchase was untimely & I ended up with an appliance that had aesthetic issues. This was something that was unforeseen.

In my last paragraph... the "you" is not directed at you, i am just referring to the general public. And if you too have read carefully, my posting is not personal although i posted in your thread, just sharing my experiences dealing with purchases, delivery and installation.

Fyi, tipping is not bribery. I tip waiter/waitress directly when i receive top notch service in a restaurant. I tip installer with small amount of money and drinks before they start work so they can forget bad encounter with the last customer.

Edited by albertchng

In my last paragraph... the "you" is not directed at you, i am just referring to the general public. And if you too have read carefully, my posting is not personal although i posted in your thread, just sharing my experiences dealing with purchases, delivery and installation.

Fyi, tipping is not bribery. I tip waiter/waitress directly when i receive top notch service in a restaurant. I tip installer with small amount of money and drinks before they start work so they can forget bad encounter with the last customer.

I provide tips for good performance, not for jumping queues or getting earlier appointments. It is not our family practice to use money to throw at people to get things done our way.

Moreover, my appliance was bought with cash, it isn't thrown in free. And installation isn't free & don't come cheap.

Are you by any chance related to those installers that I have mentioned or Harvey Norman or Electrolux? Or perhaps the family member of anyone of those mediocre Harvey Norman staff whose mentioned in this thread?

We had never encountered such a bad experience with purchases for the past 15 years & if we were to encounter any trouble at home as a result of harassment & prankster, we will definitely be reporting this matter to the police & u will also be looped in for sure.

Our purpose of publishing this thread is to share our objective experience in buying this Electrolux chimney hood, and is never a fault finding session. So if u are here to stir up trouble, we will greatly appreciate it if you could bring your ill intentions elsewhere.

Edited by edenstrauss

I apologise. Was never my intention to rub it in.

I actually read the whole thread, i saw those photographs on discoloration on the stainless steel. If you check on the spot upon delivery, pretty sure you will reject the hood, right? I also saw the photo of the discolored box, my experience tells me that box has been left in storage for a very long time. Maybe you can try contact the distributor directly to see if you can 1-to-1 exchange at their warehouse, inspect on the spot, reject if found discoloration, exchange until you found one without discoloration. I will do just that if i am you.