Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Hi Frostyflake,

How much did u purchase your hougang EM? How much COV?

i am searching for hougang too... but COV is sooooooo high :notti:

Hi amyyeo,

How much COV we paid is something I dread telling people cos I know we paid too much for it, for a low floor unit...... it's about 40k :)

Like what alot of people will tell you, if you are not in a hurry, I would advise you to wait for the price to go down. We had spent several months searching for a unit that we like at Hougang and Serangoon North area.. It's either it's too expensive, or we didn't like the area. in fact, we'd managed to find some really cheap ones at Hougang Ave 8, < 400k, COV ard 20k or so.. But we simply didn't like that area (noisy traffic) plus some other factors..

The one I bought is at Hougang ave 6, opp Hougang Mall. Both my fiance and myself like that area very much as it's unblocked, and although next to main road, it's pretty quiet, and we just simply love the estate very much... We almost bought a unit a month ago but due to seller's prob, the deal was off.. We knew we wanted to get that area.. so when we viewed other places, although cheap, we just couldn't make ourselves buy it. When we knew there's this unit for sale at that same block, we just grabbed it. The only trade off is it's on 2nd level, no lift. But we reckon it's worth it cos we love that area, and it's just as windy as high floor, no rubbish chute smell or insect problem (cross our fingers cos we've only seen the unit 3 times). And the consolation is the owner just renovated the entire house a year ago.. so I'll need a minor makeover only.

This is the floorplan of my unit, the slight difference is the rounded balcony, and toilet layout it think. And there's no gap area btwn the master bedroom and the staircase.

floorplan.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Frostyflake,

How much was the owner asking at first? and how did u manage to negociate to reduce to 40k...

i am also searching around hougang area now.. but seems like prices is SKY HIGH.. some units i have seen, the condition is as good as orginal but yet they are selling like 30-40k above value. Not asking price. the last offerred price was already 35k but yet they want something more.

Lets say if u can buy a flat with bad condition at COV 20k then plus reno u will need to spend at least 50k and above... so I will not say u are paying way high for your unit.. cos u are saving for reno.

Sometimes i wonder are they sincere sellers.......

I also hope i can get 1 gd unit at an average price >.<

Please give me your good luck!

Edited by amyyeo

Hey amyyeo,

The owner was asking for 50k COV initially, we only managed to reduce 10k to 40k.

I can fully emphathise with your situation, I had gone through that exact same frustration too.. Irregardless of the condition, the COV at least 30k and above.... And yes u are right, alot weren't sincere in selling and were just testing market to wait for the HIGHEST offer! We felt really hopeless at that time when we were seeing the houses...

hmm.. u think mine is ok? i'm not too sure myself cos whenever people ask how much we buy for and i told them, they were like :dancingqueen: But i try not to think about it. But anyway i had a feeling my minor reno will turn out to b major in the end, changing this and that :lol:

haha if you think mine is considered good luck, I'll b more than happy to give it to you now, you will need all the good luck you can get! I also hope you can find yr dream house soon!

The one I bought is at Hougang ave 6, opp Hougang Mall. Both my fiance and myself like that area very much as it's unblocked, and although next to main road, it's pretty quiet, and we just simply love the estate very much... We almost bought a unit a month ago but due to seller's prob, the deal was off.. We knew we wanted to get that area.. so when we viewed other places, although cheap, we just couldn't make ourselves buy it. When we knew there's this unit for sale at that same block, we just grabbed it. The only trade off is it's on 2nd level, no lift. But we reckon it's worth it cos we love that area, and it's just as windy as high floor, no rubbish chute smell or insect problem (cross our fingers cos we've only seen the unit 3 times). And the consolation is the owner just renovated the entire house a year ago.. so I'll need a minor makeover only.

Blk 522?

Hi Frostyflake,

How much was the owner asking at first? and how did u manage to negociate to reduce to 40k...

i am also searching around hougang area now.. but seems like prices is SKY HIGH.. some units i have seen, the condition is as good as orginal but yet they are selling like 30-40k above value. Not asking price. the last offerred price was already 35k but yet they want something more.

Lets say if u can buy a flat with bad condition at COV 20k then plus reno u will need to spend at least 50k and above... so I will not say u are paying way high for your unit.. cos u are saving for reno.

Sometimes i wonder are they sincere sellers.......

I also hope i can get 1 gd unit at an average price >.<

Please give me your good luck!

wont be surprised that sellers are asking for at least 50k COV even if the flat is in original condition since resale market really very hot now. Pity young couples who intend to get a lovenest now. Cut back on reno if u can make do with the flat condition as reno itself also very ex now. Sand, cement, wood all gone up at least double the cost compared to 2 years ago when I did my reno.

further abit, 533 :sport-smiley-004:

ah... i was looking at a unit at 533 many months back... ended up getting one at eunos at 20k COV.. the place was in 1st owner condition.. so spent a bomb on reno even wif the consideration of the fact tat my father in law is my contractor. finally my reno is abt to be completed..

its going to be CNY soon.. will stop viewing for a little while till CNY is over.. hopefully, after CNY there will be more flats availble...

masschaoz,

are u sharing your reno pictures or a blog for ur new EM? hehee

I am getting my EM too and I just paid $60K cov so $40K for a unit you really love is still worthwhile. Like many of you, I have been looking at resale units for the pass three months. The one I like is either too far, too inconvenient or too expensive. Owners are smart too. If they know their unit is in a good and convenient location with lots of amenities, someone will be willing to pay a premium for their house.

The unit I am buying is in original condition which I like cos then I can revamp the whole place. But of cos

the con is that I have to spend alot of $$$. I am looking into whether I should get a contractor to do it or ID now. Renovation cost of EM is no laughing matter with the cost of building materials so high now.

For those of you who are still hunting for your dream home - All the Best of Luck. I enjoyed the whole process of house hunting cos one dun get to house hunt so many time in their lives.

Hi Countryliving,

Wow ! :yamseng: EM with original condition also have to pay $60k of COV.

Which area you bought ? Hougang or other area ?

I hope all the buyers can stop to pay high COV to cool down the market. But, this is impossible.

It seem like a lot of peoples are rich to pay high COV for their dream house.

This is the reason why so many sellers are testing the market.

The one I like is either too far, too inconvenient or too expensive. Owners are smart too. If they know their unit is in a good and convenient location with lots of amenities, someone will be willing to pay a premium for their house.

You pay more for a prime location in a matured estate and lots of amenities, and near to MRT station, no doubt about it. Owners surely know they can ask for high value due to these factors. My good old friend bought an EM in Toh Yi Drive many years back and paid more than $650K just to make sure he can get his kid into Pei Hwa Primary School (within 1km).

The unit I am buying is in original condition which I like cos then I can revamp the whole place. But of cos

the con is that I have to spend alot of $$$. I am looking into whether I should get a contractor to do it or ID now. Renovation cost of EM is no laughing matter with the cost of building materials so high now.

EM has a bigger floor area and this is contribute to higher reno cost generally. Moreover, most EMs come with 3 toilets and a staircase, will definitely cost more to reno as compare to a EA of a similar floor area.

Edited by blownup

ah... i was looking at a unit at 533 many months back... ended up getting one at eunos at 20k COV.. the place was in 1st owner condition.. so spent a bomb on reno even wif the consideration of the fact tat my father in law is my contractor. finally my reno is abt to be completed..

oh we did consider Eunos before too, but my fiance was worried about the daily traffic jam in that area.. so in the end we gave up in that area.

its going to be CNY soon.. will stop viewing for a little while till CNY is over.. hopefully, after CNY there will be more flats availble...

that's what a lot of people said, they asked me to wait till after CNY, prices sure go down.. but I just don't want to wait anymore... it was quite fun viewing houses initially, but after awhile, it gets really tiring plus all the frustrations...

For those of you who are still hunting for your dream home - All the Best of Luck. I enjoyed the whole process of house hunting cos one dun get to house hunt so many time in their lives.

me having same problem too, don't know to get ID or contractor

You pay more for a prime location in a matured estate and lots of amenities, and near to MRT station, no doubt about it. Owners surely know they can ask for high value due to these factors. My good old friend bought an EM in Toh Yi Drive many years back and paid more than $650K just to make sure he can get his kid into Pei Hwa Primary School (within 1km).

wow! your friend.... $650k... is really alot!:yamseng:!!

to revamp a whole unit of a EM, the minimun reno excluding soft furnishings can easily comes up to $80k!:rofl:!!

You are right ... to revamp an EM entirely, you hack everything out from the floor and walls. How much have you decided to spend so far?

oh we did consider Eunos before too, but my fiance was worried about the daily traffic jam in that area.. so in the end we gave up in that area.

that's what a lot of people said, they asked me to wait till after CNY, prices sure go down.. but I just don't want to wait anymore... it was quite fun viewing houses initially, but after awhile, it gets really tiring plus all the frustrations...

me having same problem too, don't know to get ID or contractor

wow! your friend.... $650k... is really alot!:dancingqueen:!!

huh.. daily traffic jam?? my wife lives around that area.. we havent encountered much jam when i send her to work in the morning.. i think its much betta than the cte jam from hougang area.. and to go to orchard where our office is, only have to go thru one erp gantry at nicoll highway :unsure:

going home is also acceptable to me when i compare to i go to my parent's place in serangoon

masschaoz,

are u sharing your reno pictures or a blog for ur new EM? hehee

we shd be taking some pics soon.. need to wait for the tv man to come on thursday then we can clean up the 1st floor.. still gotta redo my stairs after CNY.. shd be uploading the pics online.. find blogs too troublesome for me.. haha...