Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Hi everyone, I've been lurking around and reading all your t-blogs the past few weeks and we've finally signed to buy an EM at serangoon north. I believe there are a few of you who are active here who'll be my neighbours soon. My layout is the smallest of all with stairs protruding in the middle, small service balcony and corridor unit. But we had an extremely good price so wont complain. Currently looking at contractors and ids. Limited budget due to high cash outlay so must reno in 2 phases. Second phase maybe in 6-8 months after moving in.

Would like to ask you all what should be prioritized aside from hacking and tiling kitchen cabinets etc.

- window changing is it messy?

- aircon can leave for phase 2?

- laminate flooring upstairs can hold

- major bathroom overhaul upstairs can do later?

- ceiling lighting and false ceiling?

Hope to get some input. Thanks

Agree with Cleong. If you can stand the current condition, try to renovate all in one go 6-8 months later. I read a few cases where the owners tried to live-in during the reno. All said it's a terrible experience. E.g. false ceiling... can you imagine contractors trying to position all the false ceiling boards over your furniture and appliances, screwing them in and then plastering and painting over?? Quite a nightmare ya? I did some minor carpentry and roller shutter installation a few months after I moved in and it was still very dusty tho these are just fairly minor work.

Edited by adidaem

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Agree with the other forummers here, don't try doing any major reno after move in. I had to change my AC half year after move in and it was quite a nightmare with the clean up. Carpentry still not that bad, I had a new bookshelf and minor carpentry done and it was ok as the noise/dust was quite localised.

Hi All EM Owners,

I am staying in an EM at Bt Batok area. Need some advices from you guys.

Because of the recent heavy rain and perhaps the wind direction, most of the times when it rain, the rain water will go into my main door entrance. I bought the house where the previous owner bought the extra area where we could put our shoe rack...

Do you guys have any remedy for me to install / fix in order to prevent rain water seepaging into my main house. There was once last year in the MN where the rain was so heavy that it flowed all the way into my living room.. i wokeup and got a big shock. I saw my neighbour fixing this acyrlic board onto their main door grilles.

TIA for your advice. Photos (if any) will be appreciated.

Hi All EM Owners,

I am staying in an EM at Bt Batok area. Need some advices from you guys.

Because of the recent heavy rain and perhaps the wind direction, most of the times when it rain, the rain water will go into my main door entrance. I bought the house where the previous owner bought the extra area where we could put our shoe rack...

Do you guys have any remedy for me to install / fix in order to prevent rain water seepaging into my main house. There was once last year in the MN where the rain was so heavy that it flowed all the way into my living room.. i wokeup and got a big shock. I saw my neighbour fixing this acyrlic board onto their main door grilles.

TIA for your advice. Photos (if any) will be appreciated.

Oops.. Sorry.. Click wrong button. My ID installed an acrylic panel on my gate so it doesn't spoil the main door. My neighbors all have that prob. I'll post a pic when I can later. Will show u my neighbor's door too

Oops.. Sorry.. Click wrong button. My ID installed an acrylic panel on my gate so it doesn't spoil the main door. My neighbors all have that prob. I'll post a pic when I can later. Will show u my neighbor's door too

Thanks alot. Can i have your contractor contact and isit expensive??

He charged me $80 for the acrylic!! He will bill me at the end so hope he discount a bit.

$80 is through contractor or ID? maybe straight from contractor will be cheaper hor?

$80 is through contractor or ID? maybe straight from contractor will be cheaper hor?

Yes.. i suppose it will be cheaper.. keke.. noob me dunno how to attach pic! hahahaahaha

Hi everyone, I've been lurking around and reading all your t-blogs the past few weeks and we've finally signed to buy an EM at serangoon north. I believe there are a few of you who are active here who'll be my neighbours soon. My layout is the smallest of all with stairs protruding in the middle, small service balcony and corridor unit. But we had an extremely good price so wont complain. Currently looking at contractors and ids. Limited budget due to high cash outlay so must reno in 2 phases. Second phase maybe in 6-8 months after moving in.

Would like to ask you all what should be prioritized aside from hacking and tiling kitchen cabinets etc.

- window changing is it messy?

- aircon can leave for phase 2?

- laminate flooring upstairs can hold

- major bathroom overhaul upstairs can do later?

- ceiling lighting and false ceiling?

Hope to get some input. Thanks

Hello Votto! Welcome to Serangoon North.... I understand your EM is in Ave 3, Cleong and I are neighbours at Ave 1.

In my opinion, It is best to do all major works at the 1st phase eg hacking of floor/walls, overhaul of toilets, kitchen cabinets, rewiring.cornices, false ceiling, air conditioning

Minor works which can be considered for 2nd phase, eg changing of doors/windows, build in wardrobe/cabinets, floor laminate (provided only overlay), window grilles of gate, lightings.

Aircon is best to be in phase 1 if u do not want to see bulky trunkings running below flase ceiling or cornices.

Bathroom is best to do in phase 1 for fear of damaging your staircase and dirtying the whole house.

My 2 cents worth :)

Yes.. i suppose it will be cheaper.. keke.. noob me dunno how to attach pic! hahahaahaha

Do have a look at this post to see how to attach pics: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1142

Am interested to see how the acrylic panel is attached too. :)

I also get some rain at my front door during the occasional heavy storm, though nothing as dramatic as a mini flood in the living room.

Did consider writing to HDB to install roller screens to protect the door but didn't know if it's too troublesome to maintain cos the S&P agreement states clearly is owner to maintain screen.

Sources:

- http://mndsingapore.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/solving-daily-problems/

- http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10297p.nsf/ImageView/TermsConditions/$file/Terms&Conditions+of+Resale.pdf

Does anyone have roller screens to protect their door? Any feedback?

Do have a look at this post to see how to attach pics: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1142

Am interested to see how the acrylic panel is attached too. :)

I also get some rain at my front door during the occasional heavy storm, though nothing as dramatic as a mini flood in the living room.

Did consider writing to HDB to install roller screens to protect the door but didn't know if it's too troublesome to maintain cos the S&P agreement states clearly is owner to maintain screen.

Sources:

- http://mndsingapore.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/solving-daily-problems/

- http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10297p.nsf/ImageView/TermsConditions/$file/Terms&Conditions+of+Resale.pdf

Does anyone have roller screens to protect their door? Any feedback?

I install the bamboo blind to blocking the rain & sun,It's really work and not that costly

I install the bamboo blind to blocking the rain & sun,It's really work and not that costly

Do you mean using bamboo blind for the main door?

I have seen the acrylic piece at the main gate in some of the places but it is only the lower portion.

I think my neighbours use the acrylic panel not only to keep the rain water away but also stray animals.

However, if really heavy rain and strong winds coming in the direction of the door, I dont think it will stop the rain water from splashing on the main door.

Edited by potatoes