Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theitsybits

Love Nest @ Casa

It is being not 100% that makes your place uniquely yours :thumbs up: From what I see, it's looking good :yamseng:

thank you! u're so nice.. :D its nice to hear some affirmation from others..your place is looking great too!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Layout

It's only when someone asked to see my layout that I realized I did not post my floor plan at all!

7514636202_390b6c42e1_z.jpg

Here's our floor plan. It's a 100m2 4-room, and I pretty much like the layout as the rooms are all squarish and it was easy to plan the spaces. The only complaint I had is that the MBR is really small and we had to hack a wall to place our wardrobe opposite the toilet.

7514637888_9f90d7e82f_z.jpg

And here's the hand-drawn final layout which we decided on.

7514857462_de91791bb7_z.jpg

From the lightings plan, we highlighted the walls to be hacked. We hacked 6 walls in total.

(1) Hack MBR walls to fit wardrobe into Bedroom 2 space. Wardrobe is opposite the toilet and opens up to MBR. It's a great idea for us as our air-con ledge window brings in ALOT of wind and that was the only space where we could fit our wardrobe if we didn't hack the walls. It's also a squeeze and I don't think it's comfortable to have a MBR where you have to avoid knocking into each other!

(2) Hacked the walls between dining and kitchen as we wanted a open-concept kitchen to open up the space. I also like to be able to cook and chat with my friends at the same time. I can imagine my friends sitting around the counter and help with preparations while we chat away as I cook. I also like to bake, so the long counter will house my kitchenaid and oven.

(3) Hacked the walls between kitchen and service yard. This was added after all our hacking work was done as we simply did not think of it. It was a sore point for me as I felt that the service yard space is 'wasted'. We initially did not do windows nor any works at the service yard and it did not feel like part of the house. But after hacking it down, we overlaid the same tiles, extended it to the yard. We also added windows . It integrates the service yard into the house and brightens up the kitchen. Visually, it looks alot more spacious and brighter. I also added a cement screed wall since the beam needs touching up after hacking and I didn't like the cream colored kitchen wall tiles.

We also have a uniquely huge common toilet that has 2 doors. We kept both doors as I like the air to circulate in the house and like the idea that you can hand-wash your clothes and bring it out to the yard to dry in 2 steps. We've changed the bi-fold door to go outwards and a sliding door for the other door. We also changed the MBR door as it opens up to hit the vanity! We'll be getting a 2-panel door that opens inwards instead.

We are also making a feature wall to flush the ugly recess wall in the living room. It'll be a wood-plank effect wall with a 'hole' to display stuff.

Common questions I get:

Q: I like open-concept kitchens too, aren't you worried about oil and smell?

A: I will cook often and my kitchen is not for show only! I do not deep fry food at home (only eat it outside, since outside fried food tastes better) and likes to cook soups or use the oven. When I stir-fry, I only use a small teaspoon of olive oil. So it really depends on your needs and how you use your kitchen. Personally, I've been doing this during my student days at a rented apartment and had no issues with oil and smell. I'm not bothering about clothes as I do not intend to hang much clothes, prefer to save time by using the dryer. If it's an issue I suppose you can hang clothes outside instead? Or time your cooking and washing properly.. :notti:

Q: How much does it cost to hack?

A: It's not as expensive as most people might think! It would depend on which walls you are hacking and whether you need a PE for that. PE fees range from $300 (cheapest I've seen) to $1200 (ridiculously marked up by IDs). I suppose hacking can cost anything from $500 to $3000, mostly between $1k-$2k

Q: Your main door opens up to your kitchen and yard's window. You are not worried about bad Fengshui? (My contractor double-checked this point and even a malay asked me this!)

A: Yes, I did consider this, but visualizing the bright and open space that comes with hacking 4 kitchen walls was too strong a temptation for me. I love bright and open kitchen/dining/living areas as these are where your guests will mingle and hang around when they visit. Most doors open up to the living room windows or the kitchen/yard windows, both are equally bad for fengshui. Some people seal up the door or build a partition to counter this. However, fengshui is also about comfortable spaces which are bright and airy for energy circulation. This was the main principle I followed and thus, hacked the kitchen walls to let the light in and create the illusion of space, left my air-con window unblocked to let air in, refuse to seal one of the common toilet doors (also to let air in and circulate).

And to counter the 'bad fengshui', i got a crystal light for the entrance (to slow down the flow of energy) and possibly some plants near the yard window. Personally, I really don't see how building a partition and blocking the flow would improve fengshui, and I guess different masters have different opinions about this too. And lastly, because I happen to be at one of the stacks with 'best fengshui' in the estate, I'm less inclined to be bothered too much.

7159977627_876a1d3815_z.jpg

Q: Your kitchens are all white? Are you worried about maintenance?

A: No. It really depends on how you maintain it! I love white kitchens, they take my breath away. When I flip through magazines, it's always the white kitchens which wow me. Although I like wood-colored kitchen too, but white is still my favorite. And to people who are worried - beautiful things always need more maintenance than anything less beautiful. This applies to almost everything in life, including woman. :P

Q: You have 2 brick walls, are you worried that it'll be difficult to clean and dust will settle in between?

A: I love my brick walls and it was THE most important thing for me. See previous answer.

Edited by theitsybits

Week 5 concluded.

Not that much was done this week since most of the works are completed. The glass/shower screen is installed, paint work is almost done and all debris cleared for chemical cleaning next week.

7526880478_2d05f16304_z.jpg

View from entrance.

7526883592_8ec3617580_z.jpg

Living/dining.

7526886718_b6e1777c2a_z.jpg

Kitchen.

7526891542_4108916aa5_z.jpg

Common toilet with glass panel to separate toilet bowl and shower area.

7526907354_c3d021fed3_z.jpg

Corridor.

Week 2 concluded..cont

7526895756_ca707b7571_z.jpg

I chose grey for the MBR as I like to sleep in absolute darkness. It looks a shade darker than what the catalog shows, but it's alright I suppose.

7526899374_cced7fbf2d_z.jpg

Air-con trunking and the beams. The wardrobe will fit into that space.

7526903778_b945f85e48_z.jpg

MBR toilet.

7526910904_53a6f71599_z.jpg

View from sofa area.

7526913664_7c696846e9_z.jpg

L-box with cove lights on top. The recessed wall will be covered by a feature wall.

We have chosen doors for the toilets. A 2 panel door for MBR toilet as the space is absolutely too tiny, a sliding door and louvre bi-fold door for the common toilet. These should be installed next week. Windows should also come soon.

The relative has also came to do a site visit and some measurements. We have decided on our laminates and carpentry design for all. Hopefully we can get them installed by the end of the month, but we are still waiting for finalized design (hopefully they didn't get anything wrong) and for the carpenter to do the actual measurements early next week. I was a little disappointed because they didn't have cement-screed like laminates which I wanted for the bathrooms. ;) *sigh. Let's just hope that carpentry can be delivered by the end of the month, otherwise our renovation will drag for more than 8 weeks. :bangwall:

Hi Itsybits,

Love what you are doing with your house especially the white wall. Eager to see more pics in coming weeks.

Can you pm me your contractor's contact? Thanks

Hi Itsybits,

Love what you are doing with your house especially the white wall. Eager to see more pics in coming weeks.

Can you pm me your contractor's contact? Thanks

hello! i do like my living area bright and spacious. :P

pm-ed.

I love grey! Good choice for the mbr. I don't think it's dark at all. Perfect!

Thx for sharing ur aircon trunking pics. I've been wondering how mine shld be since I'm hacking that mbr wall too. Who did u engage for ur aircon n hw much did u spend? I have not done my research on aircon yet...

Week 2 concluded..cont

7526895756_ca707b7571_z.jpg

I chose grey for the MBR as I like to sleep in absolute darkness. It looks a shade darker than what the catalog shows, but it's alright I suppose.

7526899374_cced7fbf2d_z.jpg

Air-con trunking and the beams. The wardrobe will fit into that space.

7526903778_b945f85e48_z.jpg

MBR toilet.

7526910904_53a6f71599_z.jpg

View from sofa area.

7526913664_7c696846e9_z.jpg

L-box with cove lights on top. The recessed wall will be covered by a feature wall.

We have chosen doors for the toilets. A 2 panel door for MBR toilet as the space is absolutely too tiny, a sliding door and louvre bi-fold door for the common toilet. These should be installed next week. Windows should also come soon.

The relative has also came to do a site visit and some measurements. We have decided on our laminates and carpentry design for all. Hopefully we can get them installed by the end of the month, but we are still waiting for finalized design (hopefully they didn't get anything wrong) and for the carpenter to do the actual measurements early next week. I was a little disappointed because they didn't have cement-screed like laminates which I wanted for the bathrooms. ;) *sigh. Let's just hope that carpentry can be delivered by the end of the month, otherwise our renovation will drag for more than 8 weeks. :bangwall:

Hi theitsybits, notice that the direction of your floor tiles is across the width of the area instead of the length...is it due to feng shui?

I selected the same tiles as you, but plan to do it in the different direction as you. My ID got ask if we look at feng shui. Frankly speaking i dun know the impact also.

Hi theitsybits! I really love your Reno! and Thank you for doing this blog as it really did inspire me on how to do my home, I had always want that Scandi-Retro look and looking at yours gave me quite a few ideas..especially the wood-looking tiles..what a great idea! :D Im looking for a contractor at the moment, is it ok if you pm me your contractor's contact detail? Thank you so much in advance! and I cant wait to see the final look of your home! :yamseng:

Hi there,

Very nice design and use of space. I love the white open kitchen theme too! :wub:

And I think we have very similar ideas with cooking/baking with an open kitchen, I did it like that when I was a student in Australia an had no problems either.

The only thing allowed on our kitchen top is the nespresso machine and the kitchen aid.. both in fire engine red! :D

I'm looking forward to see your carpentry up.

I love grey! Good choice for the mbr. I don't think it's dark at all. Perfect!

Thx for sharing ur aircon trunking pics. I've been wondering how mine shld be since I'm hacking that mbr wall too. Who did u engage for ur aircon n hw much did u spend? I have not done my research on aircon yet...

hee i like grey too! but i also like many other colors like turquoise..but settled on grey since it goes well with white.. :D

i got my air-con from Hong Liang at Alexandra..mitsubishi inverter system 4..it was $3,950 with upgrades of pipes/insulation with 9,9,9,24bts configuration..pricing is pretty good as BD/HV quoted around $5k for the same..do not dare to go to gain city after all the horror stories, and it's more expensive ay..

Hi theitsybits, notice that the direction of your floor tiles is across the width of the area instead of the length...is it due to feng shui?

I selected the same tiles as you, but plan to do it in the different direction as you. My ID got ask if we look at feng shui. Frankly speaking i dun know the impact also.

No! Nothing to do with fengshui, in fact i think the other direction should be better because my main door faces the kitchen yard window and the energy dashes out..but instead of putting it the other direction to 'redirect' the energy into the house, i'm directing it right out of the window.. :o i suppose yours should be the better fengshui one..but i'm no expert hor!

the only reason was that we decided it looks better aesthetically.. :P

this is one of the many things which I didn't think that I need to actually decide.. ;)

Hi theitsybits! I really love your Reno! and Thank you for doing this blog as it really did inspire me on how to do my home, I had always want that Scandi-Retro look and looking at yours gave me quite a few ideas..especially the wood-looking tiles..what a great idea! :D Im looking for a contractor at the moment, is it ok if you pm me your contractor's contact detail? Thank you so much in advance! and I cant wait to see the final look of your home! :yamseng:

thank you and :yamseng: to the same taste.. :P pm-ed you the contact.

Hi there,

Very nice design and use of space. I love the white open kitchen theme too! :wub:

And I think we have very similar ideas with cooking/baking with an open kitchen, I did it like that when I was a student in Australia an had no problems either.

The only thing allowed on our kitchen top is the nespresso machine and the kitchen aid.. both in fire engine red! :D

I'm looking forward to see your carpentry up.

thank you! your place look really wonderful too.. :D i guess only people who enjoys baking/cooking and entertaining would really love the open kitchen.. :thumbs up:

my kitchen aid is in turquoise (ice) and i almost chose red.. i'm also getting a coffee machine that can fit illy's capsules.. :P

i'm really looking forward to carpentry too as it'll finish the look..

Edited by theitsybits

Photowall Design

we love taking photos, and have accumulated ALOT of photos around the world over the past 8 years together. it's difficult to choose which picture to display and the husband has the task of designing our photo wall in the living room.

he has resorted to using photoshop and here's the first draft.

7543356422_eb81e10cfd_z.jpg

it made me laugh. ain't heart shapes a tad cheesy? :P