Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
theitsybits

Love Nest @ Casa

Congrats on getting the permit approved!

Your flooring looks so good that I'm wondering if I shld consider that colour... Hehe have always wanted grey wood tiles but the husband is not really for it (he's worried it's too dark) n he's making me doubt myself hehe...

Also have not had time to sit down for my Reno stuff which I really should so I can start shopping...

Great progress there!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Your flooring looks so good that I'm wondering if I shld consider that colour... Hehe have always wanted grey wood tiles but the husband is not really for it (he's worried it's too dark) n he's making me doubt myself hehe...

Also have not had time to sit down for my Reno stuff which I really should so I can start shopping...

Great progress there!

Have been getting some questions about my flooring and why I chose homogeneous tiles instead of vinyl or other materials. Ended up choosing tiles as it it arguably the most durable, especially for future kids who will hit and push toys around the house.

Choosing wood-like flooring for our home:

We wanted wooden flooring for the whole house, including kitchen - that one we were sure. But what we weren't sure was what material to use. We've looked around and shortlisted quite a few:

Laminates: Big no-no for me, because I dislike the way it feels when you step on it. It feels 'fake' and hollow, and it's not known to be durable too. Definitely not recommended for kitchen. I suppose the only reasons people choose it is due to its affordability and patterns available. Cost $2.50psf and up.

Parquet wood: Not recommended for kitchen due to dampness/leaks, although overseas use it for kitchen and it's the top 5 materials to be used. My friend's place in US even had parquet wood in toilet, and have to be very careful when washing the bath-tub incase water spills out. Gave it up since everyone advised against it and we were concerned about the maintenance. Moreover, it's usually darker colored which would make our place look smaller. Cost $6psf and up.

Bamboo: Supposed to be more durable and more resilient to water, but was also advised against using it for kitchen as hot oil would change its color. Expensive to lay it for whole house. Think it cost about $7psf and up.

Vinyl: Also known as waterproof resilient flooring. It feels solid, looks like wood and is waterproof. I was amazed and totally sold - till I went to research on it. It's made of vinyl, basically plastic and installed using a 'floating' system as pieces are 'clicked' together. Warranty on the material, but salesman warned that it does not cover mould if water manage to go UNDER it. This is possible as the pieces are not sealed and if your mop is too wet/air con leak/forget to close windows, water can and will seep in between and potential cause mould or smell. Moreover, some studies stated that vinyl is 'poisonous' and emits poisonous fumes which is especially bad for children. Reviews overseas were pretty bad too. Smelly flooring doesn't sound appealing to me, so we gave it up. Cost $5.60psf and up.

Homogeneous tiles: We knew about wood-like homogeneous tiles but I was concerned about the grouting or whether it could have the feel that I like. We went to quite a few places - White Horse, Hafary and Soon Bee Huat. We eventually chose our tiles from Soon Bee Huat for $2.60psf excluding laying. Hafary had a few nice ones to but prices start from $3.20. White horse had less options and generally didn't look as nice due to the grains. Soon Bee Huat had a huge selection, and the showroom has big areas which were laid with such tiles for easy visualization too. Really worth a visit for anyone choosing tiles!

Great progress there!

i think i'm very much influenced by the pictures i've seen (i love pinterest) and was bent on getting blond wooden flooring..i like how it makes the place look warm and welcoming..husband likes those white-wood flooring which is slightly grayish..it's also very scandinavian but it's a 'cold' color that makes the house less cosy..some scandinavian houses are too white and too impersonal/stylish, i don't really like it but husband likes it..it's a different feel but i like blond wooden flooring, white walls and colorful decor with pops of color everywhere..we compared both side by side and i managed to convince him! :sport-smiley-004:

anyway, don't doubt yourself! only you know what you like best..just that if your husband has different taste, gotta compromise somewhere since the home belongs to both of you..husband prefers things simple, so some industrial elements i liked got vetoed against.. ;)

you are really taking your time! :P after all the reno shopping for tiles and household electronic items are settled, it's finally time to shop for decor stuff..! :D

Hi neighbour.

we been following your blog from the day u collected your keys.

we are also moving to our flat in clementi casa.

we loves ur scandanavian look but wife wans zen or contemporary.

gd job so far.

Hi neighbour.

we been following your blog from the day u collected your keys.

we are also moving to our flat in clementi casa.

we loves ur scandanavian look but wife wans zen or contemporary.

gd job so far.

Hello neighbor! *waves*

it's an exciting and fun process to create your own home which both of you are comfortable with..magazines are great places for inspiration and makes it clearer which style (or styles) you really would like for you home. :D

good luck for reno! :thumbs up:

yoyoyo itsy!!!

Wow wow wow!! I am so gg to tell Mr T that the flooring is so nice that I am so gg to change to wooden tiles homogenous floorintoo!!!!! ur hse and all the furnishings are exactly my dream come true.... hope i can quickly start reno!!

Still waiting for his quotation... hopefully it will not be burning a big big hole in my pocket... hehe....

yoyoyo itsy!!!

Wow wow wow!! I am so gg to tell Mr T that the flooring is so nice that I am so gg to change to wooden tiles homogenous floorintoo!!!!! ur hse and all the furnishings are exactly my dream come true.... hope i can quickly start reno!!

Still waiting for his quotation... hopefully it will not be burning a big big hole in my pocket... hehe....

helllooo! thanks thanks.. :D it did turn out better than expected, and brings out the scandinavian look very well..i think i got lucky with the furnishings..i started feeling worried if i'll achieve the look i envisioned since i've seen so many 'scandinavian' themed homes which deviated..i guess with that brick wall, flooring and major furniture i've bought, it should be okay now.. :P

renovation is indeed a big-ticket item..but the satisfaction you get and comfort for years to come is worth it :yamseng:

Hi future neighbour! I have also been following your blog :) Staying @ 421.

Can share with us how much is your electical works??

thanks!

we also staying at block 421. which floor are u bro?

we are at six

Hihi~ I am looking for such a bench. Can share what's the shop name at furniture mall?

i think it's called star living? it's near the reception counter where you redeem free gifts.. :P there are 3 sizes..130cm, 165cm and a longer one..