Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Minerat

Journey Of My Minaret Walk

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wow, now I can understand why u like this place so much!

Anything that u keeping since mostly will go?

Hmm, good question. We are likely not to touch the yard and wet kitchen, parquet floorings, wardrobes in all the rooms... And that's it. Everything else should be going, including hacking away and redoing all toilets.

Btw speaking of toilets, the 3rd floor toilet even comes with its own skylight? I intend to keep it. Hahahaa

img2334w.jpg

Edited by Minerat

We probably did not spend as much time choosing an ID as we would have wanted to. Time is a luxury we cannot afford to waste when we are working adults with 2 young children. We were quite torn initially on whether to go for an ID or a contractor. We knew what we wanted done, but yet we would also appreciate a creative or design element to enhance our house.

Our first stop was the Home Decor Fair at the Singapore Expo. One designer from One Design Werkz really interested us very much. We really felt the chemistry with her and felt the designs in her portfolios were very much a style pleasing to our eyes. We went back the next day and spent a fair amount of time to go through our requirements with her. To be frank, we were prepared to go with her. But right after we have discussed, she dropped a big bombshell - she wanted us to signup and pay a deposit of $3K first before she will do anything. And I mean ANYTHING! I was flabbergasted! Is she seriously expecting us to commit ourselves without even a quotation for us? On top of that, she was very reluctant when asked to show us some of her works. She was always trying to tell us to sign up so that she can start designing for us. Everything else is secondary. Needless to say, we walked away.

I also started reading Renotalk and tried contacting some of the IDs or contractors highly recommended. Most did not even revert to me. Guess the value of my renovation is too small for them. There was also an ID recommended by a friend. After giving us a quotation, he "disappeared". There wasn't any followup, none, zilch...WOW! Not even a call to check if we are ok with the quotation. Is this how the world of ID works?

It was then that OnTheRoad recommended me to her ID, Donny and James from Summit Design. I've also read alot of positive reviews about Summit from this forum. I contacted them, and the rest, as they've said, is history. We signed up with Summit Design on 12 Jun 2012. From the beginning, Donny and James were very prompt to our requests and requirements. More importantly, they showed a genuiune interest in our house. This is a very big contrast to some IDs who provided quotations but no followups thereafter. Or some contractors who basically just tell us they can do everything but not really showing us what they can do for us. We are happy to have gotten that out of the way now... :)

Okay, I need to make a note of what I need to do / buy, and what has been completed. I will update this list as I go along. I may add new things, or take away...depending on the weather, I mean my mood :furious::disturb:

So many things, so little money!!!

List of things to do

1. Renovation - ID Confirmed (Summit Design)
  2. Pest Control
  3. Roof Checks and waterproofing
  4. External Wall Checks and waterproofing
  5. Change Front Gate (TBC)
  6. Insect Screens (TBC)
  7. Window Solar Films - VERY IMPORTANT
  8. Landscaping (Suggested by a forummer :))
  9. Alarm (Still considering as my house will have ppl 24x7)

List of things to buy

1. TV for living room
  2. TV for 2nd floor family area
  3. TV for MBR
  4. Wallpaper - Completed (The Wall Story)
  5. King Size Mattress for MBR
  6. Fridge
  7. Sofa
  8. Washing machine
  9. Dining Table (TBC)
  10. Coffee Table (TBC)
  11. Lights (not confirmed what kind and for which rooms yet)
  12. Mattress for BIL - Completed (Sealy)
  13. Toilet Sanitary Wares
  14. Ceiling fans
  15. Accessories

Edited by Minerat

For pest control, roofing, waterproofing, maybe u can check with ur left & right neighbors who they use & wld recommend. Cos inter terr like ours share roofs & erm, share pests with them. So those parties they use will be already familiar with ur unit's "pattern".

For front gate & solar films, Uncle B & cousin can quote u also, together with the windows. He does both metal types & the more modern wood type. Those at Loyang villas are done by him.

For pest control, roofing, waterproofing, maybe u can check with ur left & right neighbors who they use & wld recommend. Cos inter terr like ours share roofs & erm, share pests with them. So those parties they use will be already familiar with ur unit's "pattern".

For front gate & solar films, Uncle B & cousin can quote u also, together with the windows. He does both metal types & the more modern wood type. Those at Loyang villas are done by him.

That's a good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks.

I wish u all the best in your Reno! Landed can be difficult (esp after going thru Reno 2x at my parents place).

U might wanna consider landscaping too if you have green patch of land.

I wish u all the best in your Reno! Landed can be difficult (esp after going thru Reno 2x at my parents place).

U might wanna consider landscaping too if you have green patch of land.

Hey thanks. Can share some of the difficulties / issues you have gone through so that I can learn from them? This is my first landed. Very scared.

Yes, I do have a green patch of land in the front porch.

Age of the house matters. Plumbing was a big issue for my parents' place. Suddenly everywhere decided to leak. And it's hard to trace coz everything is concealed.

Keep a close eye on ur Id/contractor. They might accidentally hit/break smth and not let u know.

Congrats on your new home! You are a inspiration to me, I shall wait for my current place to go up to $1mil then I can upgrade again. :dancingqueen: I'm dreaming!! It is my dream comes true if I have a floor all by myself!

Looking forward to your transformation!

Congrats on your new home! You are a inspiration to me, I shall wait for my current place to go up to $1mil then I can upgrade again. :dancingqueen: I'm dreaming!! It is my dream comes true if I have a floor all by myself!

Looking forward to your transformation!

With the way property prices are going, it will be very soon we see a $1mil HDB. :notti:

For landed housing, there are 2 main issues need to take extra care: roof leakage and termite.

Thanks for the advice. Roof leakage I kinda expected...but I didn't know we still have termites in urban Singapore :o

The last time I encountered termites problem was in my kampung days in 1980s. Then again, I was also staying "landed" then :P

Hey, bro Minerat

I met Don last Sunday and so you are the house owner and another project by the 'D&J' team!

I am stalking here for your reno journey...as excited as you are!