Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Charmed_Empress

How To Calculate The Kitchen Cabinet Size

Hi,

I went to different IDs and they all give me different calculations for my kitchen cabinet. Some gave 40 feet, and some up to 73 feet even though the area I asked for is not changed. Can someone let me know how the kitchen cabinet is calculated, please? And why is it that we have to pay top and bottom cabinets differently, e.g. top 10feet, bottom 10feet but when tall cabinet, we have to pay triple.

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

I went to different IDs and they all give me different calculations for my kitchen cabinet. Some gave 40 feet, and some up to 73 feet even though the area I asked for is not changed. Can someone let me know how the kitchen cabinet is calculated, please? And why is it that we have to pay top and bottom cabinets differently, e.g. top 10feet, bottom 10feet but when tall cabinet, we have to pay triple.

Thanks.

Hello~

40 ft still sounds alright... 73 ft?!! Abit too much ah... :jawdrop: Wellz best can show us a pic or 2 of your kitchen floorplan than can guide you on how to calculate :thumbs up:

I guessed your tall cabinet means full height cabinet. For Hdb is at least 8 feet. Note that if it is for condo or landed full height will be higher ah so more ex (more material ma...) :P But you dun pay triple if you are talking about hdb. Remember for bottom cabinet you have to include the price of the countertop so will tend to be more ex. (It depends on the material you choose too.) :dribble: But full height triple the price? Na~ unlikely... :rolleyes:

Reason why the top and bottom cabinets are separated is because their dimensions are different. For me, usually i quote them together. (Not much difference :rolleyes: )

Hope this helps.

:yamseng: ,

Mike

My carpenter charge me per foot run (pfr), regardless of bottom cabinet, top cabinet or tall cabinet; counter top not included. Price different on the hardware, raw material and workmanship in making of the cabinet. These type of carpenters usually custom fit imported kitchen or build those sleek kitchens you see in some really-expensive custom build furniture showroom; they are able to produce workmanship and design that you cant find in normal carpenters. Of cos the price you pay is also premium.

Some samurai carpenters will charge you separately, top cabinet slightly cheaper cos only half the depth of bottom cabinet but price is not half the price, tall cabinet the most expensive some as high as 3 times the price of bottom cabinet. Counter top also not included.

Even got some reasonable carpenters charge top + bottom cabinet by per foot run (pfr) and tall cabinet separately. Of cos counter top is not included too.

Edited by taichipanda

That's the problem now. It is getting ridiculous as it is the same kitchen size, my request is the same, but the measurements differs from one ID to another.

Below is my floor plan. Basically I wanted to have a U shaped kitchen cabinet. I asked for an Island but they say cannot run PUB gas or sink inlet etc?

floorplankk.jpg

That's the problem now. It is getting ridiculous as it is the same kitchen size, my request is the same, but the measurements differs from one ID to another.

Below is my floor plan. Basically I wanted to have a U shaped kitchen cabinet. I asked for an Island but they say cannot run PUB gas or sink inlet etc?

floorplankk.jpg

yup, for hdb, cannot run citygas under the tiles so if you have island, you have to think how to run the gas piping from outside your flat into kitchen to your island but not running on floor tiles. maybe you have a special column from ceiling to the island? i guess can be done that way.

if you want sink inlet, same thing, the water in must not be covered by tiles. the waste water, then can be covered by tiles.... but waste water out usually 2 inches so you need to build up your kitchen flooring to have at least able for the waste water to go to main pipe (usually near the wall of rubbish chute). THat still doesn't solve your problem of water in without hiding under tiles.

cos your floor plan is not very clear. the side of the sink, seem like 5.7m so assuming you don't cover rubbish chute, then you will have abour 15.5ft on that wall. then the wall nearest your main door is about 2.7m? assuming that wall running to your store room but you want to build up to storeroom so abt half of 5.7m which means 2.85m?

total would be 15.5ft + 9 + 9 = 33.5ft. top and bottom would be 67ft!

p/s: this is estimate on what i see.... i am not expert nor ID so my calculation also can be wrong

Edited by May_dream1

yup, for hdb, cannot run citygas under the tiles so if you have island, you have to think how to run the gas piping from outside your flat into kitchen to your island but not running on floor tiles. maybe you have a special column from ceiling to the island? i guess can be done that way.

if you want sink inlet, same thing, the water in must not be covered by tiles. the waste water, then can be covered by tiles.... but waste water out usually 2 inches so you need to build up your kitchen flooring to have at least able for the waste water to go to main pipe (usually near the wall of rubbish chute). THat still doesn't solve your problem of water in without hiding under tiles.

cos your floor plan is not very clear. the side of the sink, seem like 5.7m so assuming you don't cover rubbish chute, then you will have abour 15.5ft on that wall. then the wall nearest your main door is about 2.7m? assuming that wall running to your store room but you want to build up to storeroom so abt half of 5.7m which means 2.85m?

total would be 15.5ft + 9 + 9 = 33.5ft. top and bottom would be 67ft!

p/s: this is estimate on what i see.... i am not expert nor ID so my calculation also can be wrong

Wow maydream pro sia~ :thumbs up: I agree~ Kitchen Island in HDB? can~ run piping and wiring on top lo. Due to the rules... concealed piping and wiring are not allowed, in HDB. Take note of the walking space tho if really doing kitchen island~ :good:

Oh no wonder... U shaped kitchen... Then maydream's estimation is very close. Around 70 feet for top and bottom. But something for you to ponder over, charmed... the cooking area will be smaller aint it? limited to 2 pax standing side by side at the wall near main entrance leh... :unsure:

Top cabinets are usually higher and not as deep as the bottom cabinets unless otherwise specified! Here's a simple calculation. Let's say Top cabinet pfr = Bottom cabinet pfr = $120, so total $240? whereas Full height cabinet hmmm $260pfr? Not much difference actually but when you include the countertop... then top + bottom + countertop more ex lo... :sport-smiley-004:

Tachipanda your kitchen cabinet is the super duper whooper good quality one with blum and hettich drawers... :bow: so cannot compare normally la... :notti: btw blum drawers cost slighty more than $100, for 1 drawer ah! imagine you got 4! :jawdrop:

Mike

Tachipanda your kitchen cabinet is the super duper whooper good quality one with blum and hettich drawers... :bow: so cannot compare normally la... :notti: btw blum drawers cost slighty more than $100, for 1 drawer ah! imagine you got 4! :jawdrop:

Mike

My kitchen cabi installed with 1X900mm and 2X450mm Blum inner drawer and comes with Blum cutlery and utensils tray (the cutlery and utensils tray alone cost $1000), the main reason for using Blum is that the Hettich cutlery and utensils tray are ugly. Standard drawers consist of 6X900mm and 4X450mm Hettich double walled drawers. Love the Hettich double walled drawer (made in Germany), they are stronger than Blum in term of construction. The bottom kitchen cabinet are all drawer unit. :thumbs up:

All hinges are using Hettich Sensys hinges, quality more superior than Blum. :dribble:

Lift-up system for top cabinet are using Blum cos they make the best lift up system in the industries. Originally i planned to install 2 servo-drive mechanism for my top cabinet at additional fee of $900 each, but was talk out by my designer friend after he brought me to Blum showroom to try out the lift up system. :yamseng:

Kitchen cabinet alone costs me $7,030 while the CaesarStone quartz counter top costs another $4,000; a total of $11,030. :jawdrop:

Wow maydream pro sia~ :thumbs up: I agree~ Kitchen Island in HDB? can~ run piping and wiring on top lo. Due to the rules... concealed piping and wiring are not allowed, in HDB. Take note of the walking space tho if really doing kitchen island~ :good:

Oh no wonder... U shaped kitchen... Then maydream's estimation is very close. Around 70 feet for top and bottom. But something for you to ponder over, charmed... the cooking area will be smaller aint it? limited to 2 pax standing side by side at the wall near main entrance leh... :unsure:

Top cabinets are usually higher and not as deep as the bottom cabinets unless otherwise specified! Here's a simple calculation. Let's say Top cabinet pfr = Bottom cabinet pfr = $120, so total $240? whereas Full height cabinet hmmm $260pfr? Not much difference actually but when you include the countertop... then top + bottom + countertop more ex lo... :sport-smiley-004:

Mike

TS's U shaped kitchen is going to cost a bomb if use my carpenter.

If money is no problem, hack away the store for laundry area (washer/dryer), if need to have a store then hack part of study and convert it into a store.

Can build island in kitchen with a column from ceiling running both the gas and water pipe in it (not box up, but build with easy access that can act as a salt and pepper cabinet. A wall to wall full height cabinet at the shorter end of the kitchen to house the fridge, oven, microwave... etc.

Mike

aiyah, where got pro? cos i was doing island mah, so i know what can and cannot be done loh..... i also wanted sink at the island area.... but my contractor told me would be very difficult since the piping cannot be under the tiles....and for waste water pipe that are quite big, might be difficult loh... haiz...

i would suggest that no need to do top cabinet on same part? then you will not have 70ft of kitchen cabinet? its really a lot leh.. first time i heard a kitchen with 70ft of cabinet.

aiyah, where got pro? cos i was doing island mah, so i know what can and cannot be done loh..... i also wanted sink at the island area.... but my contractor told me would be very difficult since the piping cannot be under the tiles....and for waste water pipe that are quite big, might be difficult loh... haiz...

i would suggest that no need to do top cabinet on same part? then you will not have 70ft of kitchen cabinet? its really a lot leh.. first time i heard a kitchen with 70ft of cabinet.

TS got big kitchen, can do 2 islands, 1 for preparation, comes with sink; the other cooking station, with gas hob and island hood. The shorter empty wall can do a tall cabinet from wall to wall, housing fridge, oven and microwave, coffee machine... etc. The gas and water pipe will come down from ceiling in 2 easy accessible column. The drainage will still be using 4 inches in diameter pipe to reroute the waste water. :yamseng:

So does this means by cabinet size is around 70 feet? All because of the top and bottom?

Hi charmed,

Hope you've found the answers to your queries. Actually i feel you can have a mixture of top bottom cabinets, full height cabinets for storage or even top shelves. Kitchen island also okays. Dry island can save the trouble of thinking how to hide the wirings and pipings~

Couple of ideas i would like to share with you. u can probably convert the existing dining area to a cozy area where the whole family can sit down together and watch tv or movies or even play console games. Of cos the living room also can put another tv juz in case someone in the family wanna watch late night movies :D

Back to the kitchen... you can hack away the kitchen wall next to the store and change the entrance to the kitchen to here (open concept) Fridge can be place at the wall near the main entrance, with the dining area somewhere near~ Then a L shaped kitchen cabinet with the washing machine and dryer near the rubbish chute. Kitchen island if you like.

The store... can either hack away to have more room for kitchen or extend towards the toilet for a bigger storage area. And change the entrance to the bathroom to face the original dining area.

Hope this helps~

Mike

TS got big kitchen, can do 2 islands, 1 for preparation, comes with sink; the other cooking station, with gas hob and island hood. The shorter empty wall can do a tall cabinet from wall to wall, housing fridge, oven and microwave, coffee machine... etc. The gas and water pipe will come down from ceiling in 2 easy accessible column. The drainage will still be using 4 inches in diameter pipe to reroute the waste water. :yamseng:

ya, really big kitchen and big area actually.... i wish i have such big space too.... now i find my place a bit too small.

Thanks everyone. I really got the answers I wanted. Now the question is, should I go for U shaped kitchen (as I want storage) or the island type which I been wanting for so long. :-)

you will not need that much storage.... better go for island. you can go look at my tblog and see my island.... have storage too and its much cheaper that way than having U shaped.