Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
BlurryKid

Advice On 3-Rm Resale Flat Quotation

Since u are planning a long stay, homogenous floor tiles will be a better choice although it may cost more than laminate.

Blurrykid's quotation for hacking n laying floor tiles in the living is already costing $3k. You may have to prepare another $8k+ for bedroom n kitchen. Actually bedroom is ok to use laminate floor, cozier feel n lesser movement than living room.

Me 2 still deciding to put tiles or to have it laminate in my bedrooms, This ID suggest me to put laminates inside the rooms to cut cost. Worrying part is my parents room as they're already old and i'm afraid that if they bath and even though feet wipe dry, Chances of the floor getting wet still high. Hopefully my budget of 28k will not exceed.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Usually ids will recommend to change everything new. The hacking n tiling works in your living room already costing u $3k. They never quote u for repolish ? Y they never quote u for electrical works ? Electrical works going to cost u roughly $2-3k exclude lightings which going to cost another $1k+

Both quotation are standard id pricing plus minus here n there. F.O.C for design consultation , design planning etc already gave away their id status. i.e. the prices are marked up higher for their id service . Do u really NEED those designer's carpentry works n ceilings ? Simple carpentry n ceiling works will cost lesser...

You going to redo the kitchen entrance ?

Hi Speed45,

I got reply from another contractor for quotes. Surprisingly the total costs is cheaper by about 25% compared to ID! Will be going for a detailed discussion soon and probably ask to see any current house being renovated by him.

For Electricals yes my ID quoted me it will be $2.5k for rewiring whole house.

May or may not be redoing the kitchen entrance. Was thinking of hacking and making the kitchen smaller cos its a little big for maintenance thats y thought of pushing the wall back by 1metre. The ID firm's hacking also "kill ppl set fire". Only hacking of living room, kitchen one quoted me $3.2k another quoted me $2.5k. I never even hack bedroom and both toilets woh :o

Hi BlurryKid,

We also have around the same budget as you... n layout is also same like urs... ehhehe... so if we can share2 experience here will be great ! :thumbs up:

Our 1st appt will be this Friday... :sport-smiley-018:

Care to share your contractor's contacts with us?

TQ very much ! :yamseng:

June

Hi Speed45,

I got reply from another contractor for quotes. Surprisingly the total costs is cheaper by about 25% compared to ID! Will be going for a detailed discussion soon and probably ask to see any current house being renovated by him.

May or may not be redoing the kitchen entrance. Was thinking of hacking and making the kitchen smaller cos its a little big for maintenance thats y thought of pushing the wall back by 1metre. The ID firm's hacking also "kill ppl set fire". Only hacking of living room, kitchen one quoted me $3.2k another quoted me $2.5k. I never even hack bedroom and both toilets woh :o

Me 2 still deciding to put tiles or to have it laminate in my bedrooms, This ID suggest me to put laminates inside the rooms to cut cost. Worrying part is my parents room as they're already old and i'm afraid that if they bath and even though feet wipe dry, Chances of the floor getting wet still high. Hopefully my budget of 28k will not exceed.

U mentioned old ppl, r they staying in the MBR ? Its better not to get tiles for mbr toilet as ppl r more prone to slip on wet tiles than wet wood floor. Unless its kitchen's heavy duty floor tiles.

One alternative u may consider is put one big rag just outside the bedroom toilet. Actually laminate floor not that easily wrap one if its just abit of water unless u r talking about standing water. Its just extra care has to be taken for laminate floor.

Since u have a tight budget, go for laminate floor. You will save on hacking costs. Or you may consider parquet floor for the all natural feel n also the higher price. Plus point for parquet is you can grind/polish n choice of different varnishing.

Hi Speed45,

Hi blurrykid, glad you went to find contractor for quote. You can see how much the id mark up from the contractor quote & the ids are just talking abit more (sales talk) plus some designs n drawings. Nothing more than what a renovation contractor can do.

Beware of electrical quotes. You need to plan properly what you need in advance because things like switches, sockets, tv points, lighting points, fan points etc may not be enough at the beginning or you may forget out some and the 2.5k quote will not cover further add ons. meaning the id will take that opportunity to charge you extra. This part you need to clarify with the id/contractor.

Ya, hacking usually cost alot and the profit margin is quite high, try to negotiate the price. The price quoted is on the high side, does that include clearing of debris ? Hacking Kitchen normally will cost more because of wall tiles.

Although hacking may seem to be expensive but its a good "investment". Read around other threads on overlay tiles, you will hear ppl complain about tiles popping, hollow tiles or worst, water leaking near wet areas. Can u imagine when those scenarios happen on your house ? The extra costs, time n dirtying the whole house if u need to do hacking to rectify those problems. Its going to be a nightmare.

U mentioned old ppl, r they staying in the MBR ? Its better not to get tiles for mbr toilet as ppl r more prone to slip on wet tiles than wet wood floor. Unless its kitchen's heavy duty floor tiles.

One alternative u may consider is put one big rag just outside the bedroom toilet. Actually laminate floor not that easily wrap one if its just abit of water unless u r talking about standing water. Its just extra care has to be taken for laminate floor.

Since u have a tight budget, go for laminate floor. You will save on hacking costs. Or you may consider parquet floor for the all natural feel n also the higher price. Plus point for parquet is you can grind/polish n choice of different varnishing.

Hi Speed45,

thanks for the information. I've decided to put laminates on my rooms in order to cut cost. Now deciding what kind of tiles should i go for the toilet. Saw some tiles at balestier area where there are rough surfaces. wondering should get those or the smooth homo tiles. Parquet totally out of my league liao.

Hi BlurryKid,

We also have around the same budget as you... n layout is also same like urs... ehhehe... so if we can share2 experience here will be great ! :thumbs up:

Our 1st appt will be this Friday... :sport-smiley-018:

Care to share your contractor's contacts with us?

TQ very much ! :yamseng:

June

PM-ed u :)

Hopefully this contractor can get me everything done within 20k including electricals! So far first draft of quotation seems able to be within my budget.

Hi blurrykid, glad you went to find contractor for quote. You can see how much the id mark up from the contractor quote & the ids are just talking abit more (sales talk) plus some designs n drawings. Nothing more than what a renovation contractor can do.

Beware of electrical quotes. You need to plan properly what you need in advance because things like switches, sockets, tv points, lighting points, fan points etc may not be enough at the beginning or you may forget out some and the 2.5k quote will not cover further add ons. meaning the id will take that opportunity to charge you extra. This part you need to clarify with the id/contractor.

Ya, hacking usually cost alot and the profit margin is quite high, try to negotiate the price. The price quoted is on the high side, does that include clearing of debris ? Hacking Kitchen normally will cost more because of wall tiles.

Although hacking may seem to be expensive but its a good "investment". Read around other threads on overlay tiles, you will hear ppl complain about tiles popping, hollow tiles or worst, water leaking near wet areas. Can u imagine when those scenarios happen on your house ? The extra costs, time n dirtying the whole house if u need to do hacking to rectify those problems. Its going to be a nightmare.

thanks for the advice :)

For electricals we already calculated all the points and the price is based on the points we need. But the $2.5k electrical quote is ID one contractor one havent talked about in detail. But I think should be a little bit cheaper.

Yeah I agree on hacking part too. I may hack for both bedrooms if quotes are reasonable.

strange, its under the following link:

My link

did i set up wrongly?

oops...saw it :) I thought you put under the Reno T-Blog thats y i went there to see :D

wah u managed to walk through the heaps of debris to take picture! keke

Did a bit of playing around with Floorplanner. First time trying it so a bit messy...lol

But the MBR looks so tiny!! My bed already taken up half the room size *pengz* Wonder how to get used to it :jawdrop:

Floorplanner_layout.jpg

Oh I have contacted this contractor too... didn't realize its the same... ehhehe... but we contacted Alan... meeting him this Friday for quotes :)

PM-ed u :)

Hopefully this contractor can get me everything done within 20k including electricals! So far first draft of quotation seems able to be within my budget.