Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
BlurryKid

Advice On 3-Rm Resale Flat Quotation

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Wow...renovation costs are real high these days after reading lots in renotalk.

I have made a purchase of a 3rm flat that is the same size as yours but the seller had done up the place in a simple and cosy theme and hacked away the store room. He had also did modifications to the place and now, there are 3 bedrooms instead of 2....legally.

Don't intend to do much but also need to spend around $4K for minor touch up and mod. Another $1.3K for timber flooring in the 2 common rooms.

This is after I paid a high price for the flat.

Need to eat biscuits for the next 5 years liao...anyone care to join me to do bulk purchase of biscuits???? :P

Good luck in your nego with the contractor.

wow! timber for $1.3k? that's really good leh.... i want the contact also cos i don't like my laminate on my platform. if can have timber, that would be great since its only $1.3k. my platform alone already $1.8k leh.

Hi oomph :),

You quite lucky got a good condition one. Can divulge which location it is? Cos I seldom see 3-rm flat with 82sqm floor area liowz. Scarly your one in same location as mine! Keke. But timber flooring for both bedrooms at $1.3k only? Thats cheap cos timber is more expensive than laminates! Your contractor very good woh can intro? Mine laminated for 2 bedrooms is $1.1k liowz. keke

As for hacking and modifying 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom how he manage to do it? One bedroom no window?

For mine boh pianz quite original condition so no choice have to reno and COV still 27k woh but my current flat quite heng lah sold at 68k cov..keke

Mine is at Bedok. Not near MRT but near to the famous Bak Chor Mee. Val is near to 400K n COV is 33K!! 3rm flat niah....

Yes, 1 of the rooms has no window but the seller put up a panel of clear glass in between to let sunlight come in. But I intend to replace the clear glass with 2 sided mirror to make the room look bigger. Now only 3.1m by 2.73m per room.

Hard to explain how he mod but will try to post both floor plans.

For flooring, I went direct to installer. He can be found in this forum. Mine is Burmese teak which is on clearance. Odd size too. Think my cost-saving also due to the current floor is using carpet so there is no need for hacking or plywood.

If you are keen, I can PM his contact to you.

wow! timber for $1.3k? that's really good leh.... i want the contact also cos i don't like my laminate on my platform. if can have timber, that would be great since its only $1.3k. my platform alone already $1.8k leh.

Hi hi,

I go direct to installer. You can refer to my reply to Blurrykid on the details. Dun want to bore you out by repeating. :P

If you are keen, I can PM his contact. Or if you are in no hurry, can wait till I finish my reno in mid Oct and I can share with you on the workmanship.

I got the revised quotation from contractor liow...seems quite reasonably priced and after speaking to him he's quite frenly bah :).

I asked him can view workmanship anot he even got a hse doing up kitchen in 11th Sep just 2 blks away from my current flat. And he doing whole hse reno in 23rd Sep also seems like his biz not bad...keke

His hacking quite reasonable. After asking I wont be hacking bedrooms as he explained that since ours is broken marble usually wont have popping problems unless if its ceramic then he will suggest hacking instead of overlaying. So bedrooms we will be doing overlaying instead. So hacking of living + storeroom + whole kitchen + hack 1 kitchen wall include haulage everything is $2.2k (one ID firm I went to quoted me abt $3.2k!).

And surprisingly the revised quotation I got including electricals managed to be $20.5k! But I will not be doing L-Box to save costs.

As for storage, instead I will be pushing back kitchen wall by 1metre and then do up a small room 2.8m x 1.6m taking up space from kitchen and part of living area for my storage room. Actual storeroom will be used to store household barang barang instead.

congrats, hope u get a smooth renovation... do post pictures :good:

Wow...renovation costs are real high these days after reading lots in renotalk.

I have made a purchase of a 3rm flat that is the same size as yours but the seller had done up the place in a simple and cosy theme and hacked away the store room. He had also did modifications to the place and now, there are 3 bedrooms instead of 2....legally.

Don't intend to do much but also need to spend around $4K for minor touch up and mod. Another $1.3K for timber flooring in the 2 common rooms.

This is after I paid a high price for the flat.

Need to eat biscuits for the next 5 years liao...anyone care to join me to do bulk purchase of biscuits???? :P

Good luck in your nego with the contractor.

comparing now to 10 yrs ago, cost of renovating a 3rm is not much difference but a 3 rm itself costs so much more... the amount of cov u guys paid are actually enough to pay for a comfortable budget to cover reno works.

paying abit more to reno ur place is always a gd investment if u r planning to stay there... :yamseng:

Hi oomph :),

You quite lucky got a good condition one. Can divulge which location it is? Cos I seldom see 3-rm flat with 82sqm floor area liowz. Scarly your one in same location as mine! Keke. But timber flooring for both bedrooms at $1.3k only? Thats cheap cos timber is more expensive than laminates! Your contractor very good woh can intro? Mine laminated for 2 bedrooms is $1.1k liowz. keke

As for hacking and modifying 2 bedroom to 3 bedroom how he manage to do it? One bedroom no window?

For mine boh pianz quite original condition so no choice have to reno and COV still 27k woh but my current flat quite heng lah sold at 68k cov..keke

Just in case you want to modify to 3 bedroom, these are the before and after floor plan:

hdbfloorplan.jpg

By ommph at 2012-09-05

modifiedfloorplan.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi natural9 :),

I think if you not going for very designer decor look can go for contractor cos for my case I going for basic stuffs only hence I think going to ID like quite costly cos its like paying them to do the design?

Hello BlurryKid.

u mind sharing your contact for your contractor? I am also looking for a good contractor to do my place. got id quote me 35k to do my place. my budget only 25k!

This reno thing, now have to hack all the flooring for the whole 3NG flat, and if lay homo tiles, estimated cost range?

It's like the more times I count, budgeting the reno, the amount becomes bigger and bigger... now 30k don't know enough or not.

Still haven't count furniture and fittings which I want as below :

Big or Big Big TV

TV console

Living room coffee table

2-seater or 3-seater sofa

My big bed

Mid size washing machine.

Mid size refrigerator

Electric hob (built in or portable)

Hi natural9, renovation is never an easy work n it dont cost cheap... See to it as an investment n u may not feel so heart-pain especially after seeing the end result...

If ur flat is similar to blurrykid, hacking whole unit should be in the range of 2.3-2.8k... Whole unit tiling ? hold ur breath , u are looking at around 10k-12k min based on commonly priced $2.80psf tiles.

If u have a tight budget, you should consider those permanent & big items like tiling/flooring, walls, plastering, wirings, pipings, carpentry, false ceiling, painting as a priority n prioritise which u need more. The reason is because those items r time consuming n creates lots of dust/mess so its better to do first than consider adding them after u moved in...

How many times have u heard home owners complain that they regretted not doing this n that after moving in ? It may be too late by then to complain n regret n u may not have the time n heart to go through the tedious procedure again. Furniture n electrical appliances can always sell n buy easily but not for those above items i mentioned, once its fixed its there to stay... All the best reno-ing :yamseng:

Hi natural9, renovation is never an easy work n it dont cost cheap... See to it as an investment n u may not feel so heart-pain especially after seeing the end result...

If ur flat is similar to blurrykid, hacking whole unit should be in the range of 2.3-2.8k... Whole unit tiling ? hold ur breath , u are looking at around 10k-12k min based on commonly priced $2.80psf tiles.

If u have a tight budget, you should consider those permanent & big items like tiling/flooring, walls, plastering, wirings, pipings, carpentry, false ceiling, painting as a priority n prioritise which u need more. The reason is because those items r time consuming n creates lots of dust/mess so its better to do first than consider adding them after u moved in...

How many times have u heard home owners complain that they regretted not doing this n that after moving in ? It may be too late by then to complain n regret n u may not have the time n heart to go through the tedious procedure again. Furniture n electrical appliances can always sell n buy easily but not for those above items i mentioned, once its fixed its there to stay... All the best reno-ing :yamseng:

Thanks for the response, speed45, ok, I ll go with my feelings now, heart pain 1 time, gonna stick to my own plan... that means the floor must go.

My 3NG is not as big as blurrykid, about 67 sqm. I wonder if some bro and sis here can help me with the below breakdown of estimates, to give me a clearer picture and projected cost...

hacking whole unit (min - max) 2.3k - 2.8k

homo tiles for whole unit

re-wiring

water piping

plastering

painting whole unit (including ceiling)

built-in full wall cabinet for 2 bedrooms

kitchen cabinet with top

This kitchen cabinet thing, I don know man, how much is the bottom? how much is the top? got difference huh?

err, does the hacking includes the old cabinet and sink support?

Thanks, sorry for being so lo-so.

I got the revised quotation from contractor liow...seems quite reasonably priced and after speaking to him he's quite frenly bah :).

I asked him can view workmanship anot he even got a hse doing up kitchen in 11th Sep just 2 blks away from my current flat. And he doing whole hse reno in 23rd Sep also seems like his biz not bad...keke

His hacking quite reasonable. After asking I wont be hacking bedrooms as he explained that since ours is broken marble usually wont have popping problems unless if its ceramic then he will suggest hacking instead of overlaying. So bedrooms we will be doing overlaying instead. So hacking of living + storeroom + whole kitchen + hack 1 kitchen wall include haulage everything is $2.2k (one ID firm I went to quoted me abt $3.2k!).

And surprisingly the revised quotation I got including electricals managed to be $20.5k! But I will not be doing L-Box to save costs.

As for storage, instead I will be pushing back kitchen wall by 1metre and then do up a small room 2.8m x 1.6m taking up space from kitchen and part of living area for my storage room. Actual storeroom will be used to store household barang barang instead.

Hi could u please give me your this contractor's number. I have a resale 4i but of the same size as your 3ng. I have been going around for quote. Very exp.

Thanks for the response, speed45, ok, I ll go with my feelings now, heart pain 1 time, gonna stick to my own plan... that means the floor must go.

My 3NG is not as big as blurrykid, about 67 sqm. I wonder if some bro and sis here can help me with the below breakdown of estimates, to give me a clearer picture and projected cost...

homo tiles for whole unit

re-wiring

water piping

plastering

painting whole unit (including ceiling)

built-in full wall cabinet for 2 bedrooms

kitchen cabinet with top

This kitchen cabinet thing, I don know man, how much is the bottom? how much is the top? got difference huh?

err, does the hacking includes the old cabinet and sink support?

Thanks, sorry for being so lo-so.

no problem, most important is you know what you want to do n stick with it like you said so that you wont have regrets later on... Not sure if u received any reply from others but let me kaypo abit :notti:

homo tiles for whole unit 10-12k min (<2.80psf tiles)

re-wiring 1.8-2.5k

water piping 500-700

plastering 2.2-2.8k

painting whole unit (including ceiling) 800-1k

built-in full wall cabinet for 2 bedrooms 180-240 pfr , 5ft-6ft is abt 900-1440 x 2

As for the kitchen cabinet , try n take a closer look n notice if you see any difference in depth between the top n bottom... The top is smaller in size than the bottom n usually the top will cost cheaper. Dont forget the bottom has a table top but many times the id/contractor will quote separately... Some will quote top n bottom separately ( by psf ) while some will quote as a set (top n bottom together by pfr)... The cheapest psf i saw is around 90-100 n the average is around 110-130 while theres also 200 over, theres no definite price on this as there are too many factors (laminates,handles,closing system etc) affecting the price.

The prices i mentioned are mostly contractors' (or fl id) rate but u may find some cheaper rates if you can find direct installers for each individual works...Expect price to mark up somemore when u visit id firm... as theres no floor plan to look at im just giving u a rough guide to an estimate price to expect. Remember to bring along a floor plan when u visit the id/contractor or you can make appointment for them to go down ur place for a more accurate quote. Get a few quotes to compare n interact with the id/contractor to get a feel of their experience...

Until this point, i hope your heart is still ok :rolleyes: because from where i see, theres still alot of things not mentioned...