Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pensiveowl

A&a - Adding One More Level To A House

Looking also for contractors/builders for a spiral staircase and mazzanine landing

Quotes i received (not inclusive of BCA permit) for steel structure floor and teak strip flooring for the mezzanine floor is ~12k for about 200 sq ft while spiral staircase and railing costs about 9k - is this amount fair?

How much would it cost for BCA permit? Is it worth it? Would you pay for it?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

wildfaye29 - I replied you already.

randomguy - whether the URA & BCA permit is required or not is up to you.

IF you want to sell your property in future to include the additional space that you have build up, you will need the permit.

Otherwise, even if you build up the area, next time if you sell your property, you cannot include the additional floor space.

i.e. if current approved floor area is 1500sqf and aft your build up its 2000sqf, when you sell without permit, you can only sell it at 1500sqf.

After doing the maths, for us, it is worth to get the proper permits.

In addition, the contractor told me that there are some contractors out there who offer different materials for different cases.

If doing with permit, the contractor will do it with better materials as it needs to pass BCA inspection. So you can be more or less assured that the additional level wont collapse.

wildfaye29 - I replied you already.

randomguy - whether the URA & BCA permit is required or not is up to you.

IF you want to sell your property in future to include the additional space that you have build up, you will need the permit.

Otherwise, even if you build up the area, next time if you sell your property, you cannot include the additional floor space.

i.e. if current approved floor area is 1500sqf and aft your build up its 2000sqf, when you sell without permit, you can only sell it at 1500sqf.

After doing the maths, for us, it is worth to get the proper permits.

In addition, the contractor told me that there are some contractors out there who offer different materials for different cases.

If doing with permit, the contractor will do it with better materials as it needs to pass BCA inspection. So you can be more or less assured that the additional level wont collapse.

Thanks SHMJ - very helpful

Hi All,

I have a 1000 sq ft terrace and 2 storey high.

Would like to increase the height to add a attic room but was quoted 100k for staircase, reroofing & laminate floors and front & back windows plus submission.

Additional beam seem required from ground to support new attic.

Appreciate if could advise if above is way off compared to your experiences!

• Like 1

Hi All,

Would like to increase the height to add a attic room but was quoted 100k for staircase, reroofing & laminate floors and front & back windows plus submission.

Cheap Cheap very cheap but....i think it's way too low so better sign black and white coz it's too cheap. Make sure your quote is from a COMPANY not a one-man name company coz some of my friends kana cheap quotes then cannot get submission end up must top up more than double. Ask him about submission if it includes BCA, URA fees, soil testing and topo survery coz these will totally add up to about 30k. And, no electrical supply? Your attic room no toilet no electrical required?

And it's not call beam to support the attic, its called Footings and pillars.

Ask about termite control also, once u remove your roof, don't know about original condition might have some termite so since already doing massive stuff might as well. Should be about 1.5-2k plus

Hi All,

1000 sqf land or 1000 sqf floorspace per storey?

Very cheap leh, quoted by ID or contractor? I have seen an attic conversion done by an ID, using method & material which I would be extremely worried if I were the 2nd storey's occupant.

Cheers!

Edited by Lauer

Do check with the contractor/builder on the specs of the addittional level. Yes, check for hidden cost like electrical points, toilet etc included?

Cheap Cheap very cheap but....i think it's way too low so better sign black and white coz it's too cheap. Make sure your quote is from a COMPANY not a one-man name company coz some of my friends kana cheap quotes then cannot get submission end up must top up more than double. Ask him about submission if it includes BCA, URA fees, soil testing and topo survery coz these will totally add up to about 30k. And, no electrical supply? Your attic room no toilet no electrical required?

And it's not call beam to support the attic, its called Footings and pillars.

Ask about termite control also, once u remove your roof, don't know about original condition might have some termite so since already doing massive stuff might as well. Should be about 1.5-2k plus

Hi PantiEileen & all

It’s from a company. Land 1k Sqft.

Main build is the attic floor & supporting the new roof at higher level. The attic space is small -6m x4m but enough for room & study area. Quote did not include toilet & electrical/aircon etc. It’s just the A&A works was told he will install footing/Pilliars as existing was not able to support as informed. We did not discuss soil testing etc.

I read SHMJ costing for much bigger area and $125k…..i tot mine was too high.

Hi PantiEileen & all

Main build is the attic floor & supporting the new roof at higher level. The attic space is small -6m x4m but enough for room & study area. Quote did not include toilet & electrical/aircon etc. It’s just the A&A works was told he will install footing/Pilliars as existing was not able to support as informed. We did not discuss soil testing etc.

Oh then i think i'm able to visualize your plan liao but i'm not sure if 100k is ex or not coz quite minimal. If i were you, i would just want to make sure there's no surprises like during submission, BCA & URA say cannot, need PE to draw then another PE cost not included then LL u were not told of the agar PE cost then they make u pay much more than original. Maybe just ask if got include PE? But why no electrical, aircon, plumbing (if got toilet)? Then u sleep in the attic, in the middle of the night need to pee then must cheong downstairs and fall?

Maybe i guai lan, i'd test the A&A company and ask what if soil testing required and authorities say must pile, then see their response.

Just my way to ensure that the contractor is familiar with such works and done such projects recently and not like donkey years ago coz regulations change then from a owner point of view, contractor never follow regulations and submit means authorities take ages to revert then the project could be delay from 3months to up to 6months or even a year.

Edited by pantieileen

Hi All,

$100 k for the work mentioned sounds too cheap.. My estimate will be $130-$150k.

Hi PantiEileen & all

Assuming that the incremental GFA is 24 sqm or about 260 sqf, so the proposed costing is about $385 psf. This seems to be on the high side, considering that there is no services (electrical, sanitary etc).

But I don't know if you are familiar with URA regulation related to attic construction.

Do you have the floorplan?

Enjoy!

Edited by Lauer

Assuming that the incremental GFA is 24 sqm or about 260 sqf, so the proposed costing is about $385 psf. This seems to be on the high side, considering that there is no services (electrical, sanitary etc).

But I don't know if you are familiar with URA regulation related to attic construction.

Do you have the floorplan?

Enjoy!

Hi All,

Thanks for your continued advice.

I just bought the structural plan. Spent over $100 for about 20 pages of plan of which i can only understand one piece of layout plan!!!

The rest are beam plan, piling plan, slab plan etc etc. They are so huge I could not show here.

However, I found something interesting which I hope you guys can offer some of your experience. The last AA plan by a certified engr was dated somewhere 1987 and it show 1st & 2nd storey plan.

The surprise was it also show 3rd storey plan!! The 3rd story is a store with platform/small dormer window & the top view seem to show a staircase to the store.(not very clear as the microfilm is not very sharp).

With this info, can I just engaged a contractor to do up this works without having to submit to URA/BCA as it is a approved 3 storey as my initial understanding was the attic require approval and the only way was to build higher.

thanks!

Hi All,

Thanks for your continued advice.

I just bought the structural plan. Spent over $100 for about 20 pages of plan of which i can only understand one piece of layout plan!!!

The rest are beam plan, piling plan, slab plan etc etc. They are so huge I could not show here.

However, I found something interesting which I hope you guys can offer some of your experience. The last AA plan by a certified engr was dated somewhere 1987 and it show 1st & 2nd storey plan.

The surprise was it also show 3rd storey plan!! The 3rd story is a store with platform/small dormer window & the top view seem to show a staircase to the store.(not very clear as the microfilm is not very sharp).

With this info, can I just engaged a contractor to do up this works without having to submit to URA/BCA as it is a approved 3 storey as my initial understanding was the attic require approval and the only way was to build higher.

thanks!

Wah, I didn't know that BCA also sells outdated drawings. I suggest that you should fast hand fast leg go & complain to get your money back.

To obtain a building's TOP, the architect has to submit the "As-Built" drawings to BCA/URA. As the name implies, "As-Built" means as actually constructed because sometime there might changes made during construction. (Like in my case as mentioned this morning, tearing down a new wall and did it differently, LOL)

So obviously what you have on hand are not the "As-Built" drawings mah?

Cannot la, have to submit again. I can think of 3 possibilities why they didn't proceed with the 3rd storey:

- The PE chickened out, or miscalculated, the load bearing for the 3rd,

- Fail the GFR,

- Fail the height limitation, although unlikely.

Cheers!

Wah, I didn't know that BCA also sells outdated drawings. I suggest that you should fast hand fast leg go & complain to get your money back.

To obtain a building's TOP, the architect has to submit the "As-Built" drawings to BCA/URA. As the name implies, "As-Built" means as actually constructed because sometime there might changes made during construction. (Like in my case as mentioned this morning, tearing down a new wall and did it differently, LOL)

So obviously what you have on hand are not the "As-Built" drawings mah?

Cannot la, have to submit again. I can think of 3 possibilities why they didn't proceed with the 3rd storey:

- The PE chickened out, or miscalculated, the load bearing for the 3rd,

- Fail the GFR,

- Fail the height limitation, although unlikely.

Cheers!

Hi Lauer,

There is a wooden platform currently in the house with small dormer window.

The problem was I had wanted to have more headroom and not sure if submission was the only way to achieve it legally.

It's only worth doing if cost is about <50k incl submission for such a small attic but approved with increase GFA. ICheers!!