Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
June

Bachelorette Pad

Ur flat layout is the same as mine.

I choose to hide all the piping.

Hi, my contractor will be hiding the top part of the pipe with gypsum board and painting it white to blend in with my wall. The bottom part of pipe will be hidden in my lower cabinet. Hope it looks nicer this way.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Met up with contractor today to discuss the kitchen cabinet. The tiling work is progressing well and it is likely to complete by this week. The place is still covered with huge cardboard and this is the best shot I could take. The colour of the wood tiles is not that accurate due to lighting as well as dirt on the surface.

photo_zps307f9c9f.jpg

My reno has been going well so far. I was actually mentally prepared for a tough time after reading all those frustrating encounters with contractors on renotalk. But my contractor has been responsible and efficient so far. When he was away for a week recently, his workers continued to work, even on Good Friday. i'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will continue this way till completion. :thumbs up:

Now I can't wait for tiling and painting to be completed. We think the place is gonna look quite spacious !

Edited by June

The common bathroom is the only part of the house that is left mostly untouched. I find that there is an old fashion charm, possibly bcos of the tiny tiles. I will only be changing the fittings, painting the pipe and adding a kerb.

photo_zps641ea34e.jpg

photo_zpsb3460f14.jpg

This is the best position for a kerb. Not exactly pleasing to the eye but functionality rules over aesthetics in this case.

photo_zps9967c24b.jpg

Went to the Electrolux family sale early this morning and bought this washing machine for close to 50% off! The hefty discount was given bcos there was a slight scratch at the side. But I just couldn't see the scratch, despite the salesman showing me exactly where it was. So I'm mighty pleased with this purchase!

photo_zps0fdbebb4.jpg

Havent been to the flat for the past four days as work is keeping me really busy...I know...its unthinkable... But I've been in touch with contractor and there is nothing much happening except the finishing touches to the tiles.

The shopping, however. continues online! I have been looking for rustic lights for some time now but still not much luck. The lights i like are either too expensive or too small. Here are some shots of what I like:

photo_zpse6c84871.jpg

photo_zpsadbe2d2e.jpg

photo_zpsa508b460.jpg

photo_zps208d572d.jpg

photo_zpsc42f77ba.jpg

Met up with contractor this morning. The electricians were there to do more wiring and the tiler was filling in the grout lines. The tiler was actually 'summoned back' by contractor to re-fill some of the grout lines which were not properly done. What happened was actually quite funny. Yesterday, contractor brought his parents to my place to do QC. His parents are retired but still help out with renovation work bcos they have years of experience. They noticed that some grout lines were not properly done and recalled the tiler to redo. I'm impressed that they have strict standards for tiling and were quick to rectify the 'problem' instead of trying to hide it.There is no need for me to rush down to see the tiles or to discuss what needs to be done. The issue was settled promptly while I was in office buried under work! :)

Efficiency aside, there is one thing however which is bugging me now. I just found out this morning that the grout colour is grey!! GREY!! The colour I dislike most! Somehow I feel that the grey grout makes the tiling looks unfinished...like there is cement stuck in the gaps that I need to mop away. But of course in this case, it cant be mopped away bcos it's permanent!

Contractor explained that grey grout is the best match for my wooden tiles. He said white grout is too white and will become patchy over time, while black grout will make the tiles look dirty and will also discolor. He said many of his clients have problems with black and white grout and have to do touch up.

BUT...the point is I dislike grey - major dislike! Anyone has grey grout lines at home??

here are some shots of the tiles. the lighting is dim though.

photo_zps3692a1e8.jpg

photo_zps5ad89017.jpg

photo_zpsec9202b4.jpg

photo_zps8c032552.jpg

Today was a rare day bcos there was no worker in my house! They have done what they are supposed to do this week. So it was just

me and my newly delivered washing machine at the balcony.

photo_zps45123238.jpg

Everything just seems so surreal .... Sometimes I still can't believe that I'm completely changing the look of this place. Really Looking forward to the acid wash next week so that I will have clean tiles.

photo_zpse72ecab4.jpg

And finally a pix of my neglected MBR. No walk in wardrobe here. Just a normal wardrobe and a new door.

hey june

think our 5i flat has the exact same layout! Love the greens outside your hall, mine is overlooking a small hill but sadly its been flatened to give way to a new BTO project.

noticed that your balcony is not leveled to the same height as the hall , like mine. is it due to the new HDB restriction about levelling balcony?

Hello Sarah,

I love the greenery too. in fact I paid a premium COV for the trees (and the flat)! But I discovered recently that the seller agent was not honest with me. There was a plan to redevelop the surroundings of my estate to create a recreational park and according to my new neighbours, the trees will be pulled down!! That's really bad news bcos the trees shield my block from the multistorey car park opposite!! So I'm really quite upset about it. Shouldnt they be keeping the trees if they plan to build a recreational park for residents? Anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the eventual plan will be revised over time and the trees will stay.

I didnt want to level my balcony with the living room bcos I want to segregate the two areas. I Intend to move my potted plants to the balcony after the Reno. I think it's quite hard to find old units with balcony nowadays bcos homeowners like to level the balcony to enlarge their living space.

Are you renovating your flat too? :)

try to get enough signatures from your neighbours and tree huggers to save the trees? :-)

I didnt level my balcony too due to the,restriction, and am glad that I chose to layer the existing tiles on the floor and balcony walls with cement screed. Now I can leave the balcony windows open without worrying about it getting wet, and water the plants,without worrying the floor getting wet.

I moved in before CNY, got my keys on boxing day and took 3-4 weeks to do up the place except the kitchen and two bathrooms (seller renivated 2+ years ago). Got the contractor to remove all window griils and was pllanning to do without windows for the balcony ciz I love the paranomic view from the,dinning area, but almost all my guests disapproved lol. Put up a double glaze window n March, mainly to shield off the dust and noise from the side road.

The chalkboard and hammock are clear favvourites with my nieces and nephews!

Wow, hammock and chalkboard! But I can't see anything in the pix. I had wanted to remove the balcony windows too but decided against it bcos it's such a waste.

As for my trees, I think one of these days I will pay my MP a visit.. Hahaha!

photo_zps502a0a1d.jpg

photo_zps4effa954.jpg

hey you should really pay your MP a visit, lovely greens!

the window grills put up by the previous owner were pretty new too but I am really not a fan of window grills, I even asked my contractor to remove the metal gate at the main entrance but she insisted that I keep it for security reasons.

ah, didnt know that you cant view the pics from the link I attached. how about this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51314298@N04/

?

Got it! Your nieces and nephew were really have fun doodling on the board! I love your white bedroom doors. Must have cost a lot? I'm thinking of buying the same black pendant lights for kitchen . Where did you get yours ?

• Like 1