Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
June

Bachelorette Pad

Finally after a long wait, the busy carpenter completed my cupboards. Part of the wardrobe was installed today.

photo_zpsc3d0b01f.jpg

I love my black inner laminate! I think it looks so classy. Couldn't stop smiling when my ID/contractor sms-ed me this pix. Im sure he and the workers were extra stressed about installing my carpentry bcos of the black inner laminates. Any tiny scratch will be extra visible.

The kitchen cabinets and the tv console will be installed on Wednesday.

This is part of my full-height kitchen cabinet, with black woody laminate.

photo_zps1bd13523.jpg

This is my tiny 'clip-shape' tv console that will go round the tv wall. Im using a black lava-slate laminate for this one.

photo_zps8690f366.jpg

Thats all the carpentry I have for the house..since im using my old furniture for the two common bedrooms. Can't wait for Thursday when I will go down to inspect the workmanship.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hello Freakerz, thanks for your suggestions! I explored both jute and burlap but found that they were too coarse and rugged for my liking. While they look nice as wedding projects, I'm not sure how they will look as blinds across a long stretch of windows. Burlap that is processed to be used for sewing is very expensive in spore too... I found one that is selling for around $26 per meter and i would need many meters! On amazon, the material is cheaper but shipping came up close to 70US! Linen that resembles burlap is soft to touch but expensive too .... Fabric is just so costly in spore! :( :(

=( ..tell me about the refined burlap,only able to find online and the price after shipping is *faints*.The one i got are for marine industry usage and that's already cost me $5/metre.Linen mix cost cheaper you can get it for $4-$7 per m.Chinatown has the best price for normal run of the mill fabrics.Arab street and spotlight to me is OTT pricing for cotton/cotton mix/linen/linen mix kind of fabric but spotlight has better patterned and up to date design.Worst case scenario i need to venture to JB for softer refined burlap(if i can source) especially to JASKEL a multi level fabric shop.Will give you a heads up if i manage to get my hands on it.Wedding DIY projects 1st follow by house later.I'm a hands on groom who likes rustic shabby look kind of wedding decor which SG decorators is so way not updated.Hahahha

=( ..tell me about the refined burlap,only able to find online and the price after shipping is *faints*.The one i got are for marine industry usage and that's already cost me $5/metre.Linen mix cost cheaper you can get it for $4-$7 per m.Chinatown has the best price for normal run of the mill fabrics.Arab street and spotlight to me is OTT pricing for cotton/cotton mix/linen/linen mix kind of fabric but spotlight has better patterned and up to date design.Worst case scenario i need to venture to JB for softer refined burlap(if i can source) especially to JASKEL a multi level fabric shop.Will give you a heads up if i manage to get my hands on it.Wedding DIY projects 1st follow by house later.I'm a hands on groom who likes rustic shabby look kind of wedding decor which SG decorators is so way not updated.Hahahha

I actually thought you are Ms Freakerz when you mentioned wedding DIY projects! I didnt know you are the GROOM! Oops...!

Your bride is very lucky! :) All the best! Hope you find your burlap soon!

More pictures of my black carpentry in the kitchen ...

My full height cabinet on one side of the kitchen. The big white 2-door fridge was given to me by the sellers. It was in good condition since they didn't live in the flat.

photo_zps78a6360b.jpg

photo_zps03244ad3.jpg

Black inner laminates + Blum hinges + Lots of storage space!

photo_zps89220f86.jpg

Hole for my oven. I opted for standalone oven rather than a built-in one bcos I want to be able to bring my oven with me when I sell my place. The Blum tracks for the oven tray can take maximum weight of 60kg, so no problem pulling it out for ventilation when in use.

photo_zps2324c4e9.jpg

on the opposite side of the wall is a long row of lower cabinets. I think black is the right choice bcos it makes my cabinets look less like kitchen cabinets. I think at a glance, the cabinets look more like living room cabinets.

photo_zps6f03bb11.jpg

photo_zps64faced1.jpg

There will be no switches on the wall bcos i have no upper cabinets to conceal the switches. instead, my ID/contractor is going to hide the switches inside the top drawer of my lower cabinets. He is very pleased with it but unfortunately I forgot to take a pix of the drawer.

photo_zps3663525b.jpg

Another team will come next week to do the touch ups for the cabinets. That will be a test of their skills! So far from what I can see, the workmanship is good and the carpenter took care in handling my cupboards during installation bcos of my black laminates.

The next big thing is the wall where the hood will be. Thats where i will have big picture frames to create the cafe look which I have always wanted for my kitchen. My ID/contractor said he will help me create a distressed look for my frames so that it will go with my rustic theme. we will also be installing black rods for hanging utensils. I'm not sure if the idea will turn out like how i imagine it to be, but he is very confident it will work out. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a few more weeks!

you have a very nice seller! and your kitchen cabinets are so cool!

Actually my sellers wanted to give me all their furniture and furnishings, but their stuff are mainly white or beige in colour, which don't fit into my theme. It's quite sad actually bcos the couple lived in the flat for only a year and separated after that. They didn't live in the flat for 4 years but returned regularly just to clean it. The fridge was also left running for 4 years and had no problem. So the flat was in good condition (except for the floor tiles which were hollow as they were the original tiles from many years ago). Now I'm actually quite worried about the fridge. I switched it off during Reno and I hope it won't go into hibernation mode and not revive!

Hi

Everything is so so nice!!

Btw you mentioned black rods for your utensils. Do you mind sharing where you got them from? Been looking for it but I can't seem to find any. Thanks!!

Edited by macuser77

love the texture of your black/dark grey kitchen cabinet! Is that the lamitak laminate?

trying to figure out where you place your washer/dryer and did you conceal them?

oh I went to spotslight yesterday to check out the fabric, it was sold out. bummer :-)

love the texture of your black/dark grey kitchen cabinet! Is that the lamitak laminate?

trying to figure out where you place your washer/dryer and did you conceal them?

oh I went to spotslight yesterday to check out the fabric, it was sold out. bummer :-)

My washer is right at the end, just outside the toilet. Foo has to think of a way to hide it, or else anyone who walks into my flat can see the washer.

I saw the fabric at the curtains section. It might have been hidden by rolls of fabric. I will go check when I next visit spotlight.

Hi

Everything is so so nice!!

Btw you mentioned black rods for your utensils. Do you mind sharing where you got them from? Been looking for it but I can't seem to find any. Thanks!!

hi, the only black rods I saw are from ikea. But I'm not sure how much weight they can hold so I'm still looking around for alternatives. Will let u know if I see something :)

hi, the only black rods I saw are from ikea. But I'm not sure how much weight they can hold so I'm still looking around for alternatives. Will let u know if I see something :)

Thank you so so much for the info!! :)

Good morning DIY queen, how about getting a stainless steel rod and spray paint it into black? :-)

Good morning DIY queen, how about getting a stainless steel rod and spray paint it into black? :-)

Haha.. That's my back up plan too! As for DIY, I'm going to start work on my blinds soon. Now feeling the pressure since curtain rods are up and tv console will be done next week I think. And I haven't forgotten about your ikea hack !!:)